Photo

Acne on jawline and neck ! PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi, im 25 female and i have successfuly controlled most of my acne through tazorac .05% cream. however, i still have acne on my jawline and neck like a few cysts and a few pimples (total 7-8 small-big). i just want to be rid of it but it isnt going away through my taz cream (tho my face is clear) any suggestions?

#2 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:55 AM

Your face isnt clear if youre getting 7-8 cysts =/ Sorry the tazorac isnt working completely. How long have you been on tazorac? Maybe its time to try something else. What is your skin care regimen?

#3 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (acne_battle @ May 8 2008, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your face isnt clear if youre getting 7-8 cysts =/ Sorry the tazorac isnt working completely. How long have you been on tazorac? Maybe its time to try something else. What is your skin care regimen?

hi well ive been on it two years. my regimen:

am:
gently exfoliate with clean and clear oxygenating scrub
apply neutrogena spf 70
apply clinique all about eyes

pm:
was with noxema triclosan antibacterial face wash
apply taz cream sometimes buffered with lustra (hydroq. 4% with glycolic acid)
apply clinique all about eyes cream

and thats it!

any suggestions?

#4 sman7

sman7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

Not to say anything about someones reading comprehension but I think pakifairy meant from the neck down. Jawline is according to Webster Dictionary is "the outline of the lower jaw".

I on the other hand I know what you're saying. I'll say this congratulations on having it controlled in the face area. About the neck area that has cysts, I suggest you use AHA because its an excellent application for body area.

AHA does not bleach clothes, so you are free to wear whatever you feel like wearing.

#5 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:45 AM

hi! thanks but isn't tazorac already an AHA?

#6 sman7

sman7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

I am not too sure. You should use Alpha Hydrox tho.

#7 Adam08

Adam08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

you need to tackle the root cause.

perhaps it is stress and/or dairy? Maybe even too much carbs.

#8 PureVanity

PureVanity

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

i highly recommend spironolactone. its a hormonal treatment most women use for acne, especially on their jawline. research it here on the org. im on it right now and its great

#9 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (pakifairy @ May 8 2008, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi! thanks but isn't tazorac already an AHA?

Tazorac is a retinoid. AHAs are alpha hydroxy acids like glycolic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid, and so on.

The ingredients of the Clean and Clear Oxygenating Scrub may be problematic:
Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Polyethylene, Acrylates C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Lauryl Glucoside, Microcrystalline Wax, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Menthyl Lactate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Corallina Officinalis Extract, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Titanium Dioxide, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, May Contain: Sodium Hydroxide
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the second ingredient is a comedogenic ingredient according to both of the websites I use to check comedogenicity, I'd steer away from the scrub. I'd perhaps use another cleanser like Cetaphil Antibacterial for Sensitive skin in the bar form - its pH is fine, considering it's a bar soap, and it's extremely gentle and antibacterial. As you know, the order of the ingredients indicates the relative percentage, so the first is what the product mainly comprises, with the rest of the ingredients in lesser amounts as the list goes on.

Adding in an AHA would be a good idea, and I'd also consider using a gentle cleanser in the morning and maybe the same one in the evening. The Taz is already an exfoliant, so it's highly likely you don't need one that has scrubby particles in it: those are also likely to cause breakouts as they can tear up the skin.

#10 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

ok great so what should my regimine be?
ill use the cetpahil antibacterial soap
then apply aha
then taz?

i have skinceuticals super line serum it says a 12% hydroxy acid blend here are the ingredients:
Water, mixed fruit extract, sodium hyaluronate, chamomile extract, propylene glycol, hydroxyethycellulose, methylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea

can i use that as my aha?

#11 sman7

sman7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

"12% hydroxy acid" that is AHA automatically.

If you want the best face wash...Alpha Hydrox face foaming wash is better than Cetaphil hands down. It's so ph balanced and it doesn't strip moisture from your face after using it

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

Everyone is always saying jawline acne is hormonal, but almost all acne has a hormone related and my jawline/neck cysts were caused by an allergy to citrus.

#13 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

ok i dont have an allergy to citrus. please someone tell me if i use tazorac as well as an aha isnt that overkill taz is anAHA

#14 Principal_Pimp_el

Principal_Pimp_el

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Wow, Wynne, thanks for pointing that ingredient out...I had no idea that Sodium Laureth Sulfate was comedogenic (it's a 3 on the 5 point scale), I thought it was only an irritant. Well, I decided to check out another ingredient, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and it's a 5 on the scale!!!! This means that the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and the Purpose Gentle Cleanser I have used could have been contributing to my breakouts, right? How much can a cleanser really clog pores?

#15 annabelle78

annabelle78

Annabelle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hello. I am turning 30 this month. I also have started getting alot of cycstic and smaller acne on my jawline, neck, and near my ears. These areas are very painful too! I know how all of you feel. Spirinolactone is the only thing that ever worked for my acne. I started out having severe acne at age 15. A derm took me though the mildest antibiotic through accutane. I took accutane for five months. My face was clear after that for about 7-8 months and then I broke out worse than I'd ever had before. I saw a new derm in Washington who reccomended spirinolactone for me. After six months I was totally cleared up. I have went off it several times in the last ten years basically to give my body a break, and recently to try to get pregnant. We tried for two years. I just found out my husband has fertility issues so I'm went back on spirinolactone for now and started doing a series of isolaz. I guess isolaz is supposed to be more of a permanent solution to acne so when I do have to go off spirnonlactone again I won't break out new as bad. Sorry to ramble.........just excited to connect with some other people having the same issues as me. My aesthetician told me to extract all my zits the night after my isolaz. So I did and it hurt REALLY bad, but they did seem alot better in the morning. My mom always said popping zits makes infection spread under the skin and cause more zits and cause scarring, but it does seem to take them away. I'm not sure what to do . My aesthetician said to extract them so they don't get so huge and hard, which they have been. I highly reccomend spirinolactone to any female having acne problems. But if you want to get pregnant, you need to go off it 30 days before you start trying. Can anyone tell me what there aesthetician told them on extracting or their derm after isolaz or just in general? Also. I am currently using proactive. Maybe its too harsh I don't know......it used to work in conjunction with spinolactone but by itself it doesn't help at all.

#16 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (pakifairy @ May 8 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok great so what should my regimine be?
ill use the cetpahil antibacterial soap
then apply aha
then taz?

i have skinceuticals super line serum it says a 12% hydroxy acid blend here are the ingredients:
Water, mixed fruit extract, sodium hyaluronate, chamomile extract, propylene glycol, hydroxyethycellulose, methylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea

can i use that as my aha?

That sounds good! If you think the Clean and Clear scrub isn't bothering you, go ahead and continue to use it.

Also see the post below yours about other options (skinceuticals line). There are many options out there and just because I use and like Cetaphil (and it is pH balanced), I tend to recommend it a lot.

QUOTE (Principal_Pimp_el @ May 9 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Wynne, thanks for pointing that ingredient out...I had no idea that Sodium Laureth Sulfate was comedogenic (it's a 3 on the 5 point scale), I thought it was only an irritant. Well, I decided to check out another ingredient, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and it's a 5 on the scale!!!! This means that the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and the Purpose Gentle Cleanser I have used could have been contributing to my breakouts, right? How much can a cleanser really clog pores?

It could be if you're sensitive to them; I myself did not notice a problem with Cetaphil upon switching from my old cleanser to Cetaphil. Also, the ingredients are lower in the Cetaphil list, rendering it less likely to be problematic.

Hi annabelle and welcome to the site!

#17 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

but aren't retinoids aha's?

#18 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (pakifairy @ May 9 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok i dont have an allergy to citrus. please someone tell me if i use tazorac as well as an aha isnt that overkill taz is anAHA

You could have an allergy to something else.

#19 pakifairy

pakifairy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

hmm maybe im just doomed to be hideous

#20 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes