Photo

Im CONFIDENT Silicone injections was the best decision Ive made for my acne scarring.

fraxel dermabrasion tca silicone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
230 replies to this topic

#41 leonTX

leonTX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (drewboy @ May 9 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, not to be pushy, but I feel the differences between my sessions with Dr. Lam and my sessions with Dr. Alkek were night and day. I truly feel like you need someone else injecting the silicone. Dr. Lam injected my scars in a linear patters , in rows and columns, where as Dr. Alkek would find a scar, inject it once, and then move on...

Anyhow, I'll get my 'after' pics up here and let you guys judge the difference.

Drew,

Do you think the different approach of the two doctors made any difference in terms of the results? Which one did your scarring respond better?

Based on my research, silicone injection has much higher success rate treating acne scarring than any other methods. However, everybody is different. There might be some patients simply don't respond well. Just like many of us only need one round of accutane to cure the acne, but some will need 2, 3 or even more rounds and still not able to have their acne under control. Unfortunately, this is something science doesn't explain well at this moment. Whoever can come up with an ultimate solution for acne and acne scarring should win the Nobel Prize!!

Thanks!

Leon

#42 bama2000

bama2000

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

My scars are saucer shaped with soft edges (co2 and dermabrasion helped with the edges). Mine go away completely when stretched. By all accounts, I am a perfect candidate. I had a couple rounds of artecoll and that helped a good bit. I am really wondering if my scar depth is deceiving because of the soft edges. They tend to underestimate it and may not be injecting enough. When I did the artecoll, they pumped a lot in and it worked good. For my silicone, they have done a good bit less than what others reported.

Don't count me as a non responder just yet though. Give me another 3-4 months and at least one more round. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

#43 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (leonTX @ May 9 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drew,

Do you think the different approach of the two doctors made any difference in terms of the results? Which one did your scarring respond better?

Based on my research, silicone injection has much higher success rate treating acne scarring than any other methods. However, everybody is different. There might be some patients simply don't respond well. Just like many of us only need one round of accutane to cure the acne, but some will need 2, 3 or even more rounds and still not able to have their acne under control. Unfortunately, this is something science doesn't explain well at this moment. Whoever can come up with an ultimate solution for acne and acne scarring should win the Nobel Prize!!

Thanks!

Leon

I personally saw my best results with Dr. Lam injecting the silicone, although I did see a dramatic result after my first session with Dr. Alkek.

The way the 2 doctors inject are totally different styles like I mentioned earlier in one of my posts. Dr. Lam injects the scar from the bottom, and works his way across the scar, injecting in linear patterns, then moves up the scar and works his way back. Dr. Alkek seemed to go right to the middle of the scar, inject it, and move along to another scar.

I agree with you when you say everyone is different, but Im not sure if it has to be that way with silicone. Silicone is a permanent filler, if you get enough injected underneath the tissue damage the scar will be raised. This is why I truly believe Silicone should be injected by someone with experience who knows how much to inject and where to inject to garner results.

#44 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (bama2000 @ May 10 2008, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My scars are saucer shaped with soft edges (co2 and dermabrasion helped with the edges). Mine go away completely when stretched. By all accounts, I am a perfect candidate. I had a couple rounds of artecoll and that helped a good bit. I am really wondering if my scar depth is deceiving because of the soft edges. They tend to underestimate it and may not be injecting enough. When I did the artecoll, they pumped a lot in and it worked good. For my silicone, they have done a good bit less than what others reported.

Don't count me as a non responder just yet though. Give me another 3-4 months and at least one more round. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Bama, it may be worth your while having another doctor perform Silicone Injection. I'm asking you let Dr. Lam give it a shot, may be one of the better decisions you make since you aren't getting results with your current doc.

Ive been in this game long enough to know which doctors to avoid and which to latch onto.

QUOTE (bug @ May 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you think they can do injections on the neck (below jaw)?
can you do thingz after you get silicone? like dermaroller?

I had a few injections below my jaw line, and these scars responded great to the silicone. As far as treatments after, this is a question for a professional, I'm pretty certain you'll be able to though. Dan do you know?

#45 somebodyluvsu

somebodyluvsu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:42 AM

wow, wish i could see your after picts! I don't think your skin looks bad in the before ones, but i know we are all our own worst enemy. Post some after picts, i would love to see them! Take care and glad to hear you are doing so well and are happy

#46 Twoism

Twoism

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

Hey Drewboy, Do you think it would make sense to have deeper scars subcised before having silicone injections? To help break up some of the fibrous strands holding the scar down beforehand? And from what I understand, collagen builds up around the silicone droplets, but the silicone acts as a filler aswell right? Not just an agent that stimulates collagen reproduction.
Correct me if i'm wrong biggrin.gif

#47 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (somebodyluvsu @ May 10 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, wish i could see your after picts! I don't think your skin looks bad in the before ones, but i know we are all our own worst enemy. Post some after picts, i would love to see them! Take care and glad to hear you are doing so well and are happy

hey thanks so much, I really appreciatte that. And yes I whole heartedly agree, we indeed are our own worst critic.

#48 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Twoism @ May 10 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Drewboy, Do you think it would make sense to have deeper scars subcised before having silicone injections? To help break up some of the fibrous strands holding the scar down beforehand? And from what I understand, collagen builds up around the silicone droplets, but the silicone acts as a filler aswell right? Not just an agent that stimulates collagen reproduction.
Correct me if i'm wrong biggrin.gif

Twoism, I thought about that myself. I did quite a few needling sessions on my scars using diabetic needles a half a year before my silicone treatments. Breaking up the scar tissue underneath certainly couldn't hurt.

And yes, your correct, collagen forms around the silicone droplet to form a permanent "bubble". And yes, the silicone can act as a form of a filler, at least for me it has.

#49 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Bug - Yes they can do silicone injections below the jaw line. I had several scars below my right ear and outside of the jaw line that Dr. Alkek did inject and they did respond by filling in. I think that the silicone micro-injections can be used in pretty much any area where filling is needed. I have to agree with Drewboy's experience, the 7 rounds that I had with Dr. Alkek did a great job in filling in areas that did not respond to any other treatment and I think that the injections were the most effective treatment that I have had. I have done almost everything - dermabrasion, numerous excisions, spot laser, and subscisions.

#50 bama2000

bama2000

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Drewboy,
It is funny...I did not realize Dr. Lam was in Dallas. I had been assuming you were treated by Dr. Alkek, especially with the texas state avatar (bad assumption on my part). I will have a look into it. Thanks.

Dan,
I saw you are thinking about seeing Dr. Lam. Like you, I have seen Dr. Alkek. What would make you want to go to Dr. Lam vs. Dr. Alkek? I cannot say either way what my results are with Alkek yet, but I feel I should be having better results right now. Also, Dr. Alkek seemed to think this would be my last session...and in my opinion if the treatment works, I want to do it until it does not make sense anymore. I would guess that is a few more treatments at the least. I would think the first few sessions are "filling" sessions and the subsequent ones would but "tuning" sessions. These scars are very very sensitive to light and need very good correction to remedy that issue.

#51 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (bama2000 @ May 10 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drewboy,
It is funny...I did not realize Dr. Lam was in Dallas. I had been assuming you were treated by Dr. Alkek, especially with the texas state avatar (bad assumption on my part). I will have a look into it. Thanks.

Dan,
I saw you are thinking about seeing Dr. Lam. Like you, I have seen Dr. Alkek. What would make you want to go to Dr. Lam vs. Dr. Alkek? I cannot say either way what my results are with Alkek yet, but I feel I should be having better results right now. Also, Dr. Alkek seemed to think this would be my last session...and in my opinion if the treatment works, I want to do it until it does not make sense anymore. I would guess that is a few more treatments at the least. I would think the first few sessions are "filling" sessions and the subsequent ones would but "tuning" sessions. These scars are very very sensitive to light and need very good correction to remedy that issue.

I did have a silicone treatment by Dr. Alkek smile.gif Lighting issues are tough! My scarring under harsh lighting are finally able to take a turn for the best!

#52 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

set my next appointment for july 15th. Ill have some pics for you guys then.

#53 bama2000

bama2000

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

Does Dr. Lam then recommend a 2 month interval? This seems about right. The treatment I had done a few days back look pretty good right now, but I think its probably still the swelling sad.gif I am just keeping my finger crossed that it will look like this permanently. It is an exciting treatment for sure.

I have had CO2, dermabrasion, subcision, artecoll, professional dermarolling, retin-A, and now silicone. I bet I have done some other things as well that I forgot....jeez, looking back this crazy.

#54 eddy_if

eddy_if

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

WOW.. DREWBOY : still remember me ? i ever chat with u in msn long long ago.. now i see your face again ... excelent progress bro .... how's ur day now ? biggrin.gif

#55 Rob*

Rob*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hey Bama, can you tell us more about the Artecoll injections you had. Your description of your scars sounds very similar to mine. I;m going in for a consultation on thursday and i am strongly considering this option.

First off, how much did they cost (I live in Canada).

Also how much improvement percentage wise did you think you had with your scars (25%, 50%?)

I'm really looking forward to your reply,and i'm really excited to try artecoll and i just wanted to know how it worked out for you.

Oh, and one more thing. DId your derm make you try collagen injections on your scars before you did your Artcoll injections. My derm told me that it's best to try collagen first to make sure that i like it. This kind of concerns me. When he told me this i thought why wouldn't i like the look of it if its back to surface level. I dont know if he's trying to get me to do collagen because he wants more money from me, or if its really necessary before trying artecoll. Id like to hear your thoughts on this.

thanks,
rob

#56 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Bama - Dr. Alkek did a great job and in his opinion I am done with the treatments. As we all have discussed, we are all our greatest critics and I still have several spots that I want one touch-up round so I have considered a consult with another dr. for one more touchup. From what I recall, it did take several rounds before I began seeing some improvement on the surface because I had so much tissue loss and subsurface scarring that it must have taken some time for the subsurface areas to begin filling and then push the skin upwards so it would make a visual change. At any rate, it was a long process and I had to be very patient.

#57 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

well said Dan, Im in the same boat as you. If you choose to have Dr. Lam inject yoru silicone next, please let me know how it goes for you. Im going in on the 15th of next month.

#58 JulianB

JulianB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hi there,

I would like to share some info concerning my treatment with a
permanent filler (ISP/PMS) for my acne scarring five months ago.

The treatment was without much positive result. Most of the dimples are still there
and and they are now accompanied by little lumps surrounding them, overcompensation.
I mean, on spots where there wern't any lumps before.
Also when I laugh I feel tension on some some treated areas. My idea is that the filler is
brought in to closely under the skins surface.
My attending doctor says there is not much he can do about it. (This clinic said to be one
of the best in my country)
If I would have known the end result would be like this I would have never done it.

I would like to get in contact with this dr Lam, because I would like to know if there
is a possible way to treat my case. For both the dimples (tissue loss) as well as the
lumps (overcompensation).

Best J

#59 leonTX

leonTX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (JulianB @ May 12 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

The treatment was without much positive result. Most of the dimples are still there
and and they are now accompanied by little lumps surrounding them, overcompensation.
Also when I laugh I feel tension on some some treated areas. My idea is that the filler is
My attending doctor says there is not much he can do about it. (This clinic said to be one
If I would have known the end result would be like this I would have never done it.

I would like to get in contact with this dr Lam, because I would like to know if there
is a possible way to treat my case. For both the dimples (tissue loss) as well as the

Best J

Hi Julian,

Sorry to hear what happened to you. Where did you get your treatment? You can ask Dr. Lam questions on his forum. http://www.lamfacialplastics.com/ask/

Best Wishes,

--Leon

#60 drewboy

drewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (JulianB @ May 12 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

Best J

Thanks Leon, Julian contact him through email ( which you can find on the website) or call his office directly at 972.312.8188. He'll definately be able to help you out Im sure.

QUOTE (eddy_if @ May 12 2008, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW.. DREWBOY : still remember me ? i ever chat with u in msn long long ago.. now i see your face again ... excelent progress bro .... how's ur day now ? biggrin.gif

Ha, hey man! great to hear from you. The pics are my before pics. I'm almost where I need to be after these silicone injections! I dont know why but I dont think my face looks that great in those pics, but geez, I guess you guys do..

I will say I have come A LONG way, my scarring used to be hideous. Eddy whats the latest with you and your scarring, any better? -peace-