Photo

Im CONFIDENT Silicone injections was the best decision Ive made for my acne scarring.

fraxel dermabrasion tca silicone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
230 replies to this topic

#221 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

doggydogg - I had 7 rounds with Dr. Alkek. I must say that I saw fairly minor changes until about the 3rd or 4th round. I guess that I had such severe tissue loss that it took several rounds to begin showing on the exterior. I did find that the results began to show for me at about the beginning of the 3rd week with each round of treatment.

It has been about a year since the last treatment and the results are still there. Based on what I have read, some have had decent results while some have had very minimal results. I am not sure why, maybe the depth of scars or individual body chemistry. I must also say that I still have a few areas that I would like one more treatment on and also the more superficial scarring remains since silicone is a deep filler and does not seem to be effective on the more superficial areas. I also have a couple of hypertrophic scars on my right cheek that bother me but obviously the silicone can do nothing for those. I also had an area on my left temple that had smaller scars, almost like golf ball dimples and the silicone did virtually nothing on those. It did help restore some of my cheek areas that had the most tissue loss.
Never give in--never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Sir Winston Churchill

#222 MonteroMan

MonteroMan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (doggydogg @ Sep 2 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks montero man, drewboy and everyone who has helped in this post. I had a question about the time frame in which you get results. I've read it can take up to 2 months so a lot of doctors ask doctors ask patients to come in every two months, others every month. Any thoughts on time frame and thoughts on how long after the injections you see the full effect.

The time frame that you start to see the true results from the peek and valley perspective is 3-4 weeks. Some people in this forum say that after a couple months, they lost results.

From a medical science perspective, I find that very fascinating. When you understand that SMD is basically droplets injected in minute amounts in multiple areas under the scar, which do two things:
1. Stimulate Collagen
2. Serve as a foundation to add stability and increase in the atrophic areas (ever been under a raised floor?)

I guess in the case where a person experienced the collagen growth and silicon formation, something within their biology caused both to diminish. I'm not a Dr, so I cannot state the statistics about these atypical incidents.

Dr Lam said after three weeks, you will see it stabilize, and even possibly continue to improve over the next 12 months. After three weeks, my results are stable, and significantly better than before I had SMD.

I will try to post pictures in another month to prove the fact that they are lasting results.

I'll be heading to Dr Lam in November, giving me a three month window for more improvement.

Thank you for all the kind responses- it's nice to know that there are grateful people in a free forum, in a free country, in a free world.

Monteroman

#223 MonteroMan

MonteroMan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (billyboy @ Sep 2 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some posters, Naitch especially, have been way out of line toward DrewBoy.

I have tried many things, with less than expected results. The only technique that I have any interest in pursuing at this point in SMD, mostly because I trust the information that has been provided by multiple, objective sources, both in this and outside this thread. Unfortunately, I am here in SF Bay Area. Going to LA is no problem, but SF would be best. I don't have time right now to fly to Dallas or NY etc.

Anyone have success with a CA SMD doc? Names?

PS: A couple years ago I posted pictures here. It is way harder than people realize to get a perfect match of up close, detailed pictures to highlight scarring (harder than I expected anyway). After realizing this, I have come to rely more on objective evaluations than on photos. Objective does not mean Fraxel literature and photos, which, while beneficial to me, was way overhyped as to efficacy.

Sorry billy, i live out there too. Flying to Dallas is my only option, and it's worth it. Get this, i do it all in one day. I take one day off work, leave early early early, arrive in Dallas around 11am, rent a car, drive to Plano (20 minute drive), get the hour procedure, return the car, fly back and i'm under the covers before midnight. I go to work the next day because there's no scabs or NOTICEABLE swelling. Don't get me wrong, it swells, but it doesn't look obvious.

tickets are $300. i found it worth it for me. I'll be getting another two treatments, so 2700 spent over 9 month period. not bad.

#224 Rob*

Rob*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (MonteroMan @ Sep 3 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have tried many things, with less than expected results. The only technique that I have any interest in pursuing at this point in SMD, mostly because I trust the information that has been provided by multiple, objective sources, both in this and outside this thread. Unfortunately, I am here in SF Bay Area. Going to LA is no problem, but SF would be best. I don't have time right now to fly to Dallas or NY etc.

PS: A couple years ago I posted pictures here. It is way harder than people realize to get a perfect match of up close, detailed pictures to highlight scarring (harder than I expected anyway). After realizing this, I have come to rely more on objective evaluations than on photos. Objective does not mean Fraxel literature and photos, which, while beneficial to me, was way overhyped as to efficacy.

Sorry billy, i live out there too. Flying to Dallas is my only option, and it's worth it. Get this, i do it all in one day. I take one day off work, leave early early early, arrive in Dallas around 11am, rent a car, drive to Plano (20 minute drive), get the hour procedure, return the car, fly back and i'm under the covers before midnight. I go to work the next day because there's no scabs or NOTICEABLE swelling. Don't get me wrong, it swells, but it doesn't look obvious.

tickets are $300. i found it worth it for me. I'll be getting another two treatments, so 2700 spent over 9 month period. not bad.

I have a few questions:

#1) I am going to get a permanent filler done very soon. My biggest concern however, is having the scar being over-injected and being left with a lump. The derm that i had my restylane injections done with kind of left lumps that you can notice on very severe lighting. Has there been any lumps forming from over injecting? All i want is a doctor who will make sure that he doesnt over inject.

2) I live in Canada and the permanent filler we use is Artecoll. Do you think you would see the same results with artecoll injections. I think i would prefer silicone injections by dr. alkek, but the cost of flying down to dallas was be enormous.

3) How much improvement, percentage wise, have you seen thus far?

#225 bama2000

bama2000

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Rob* @ Sep 4 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MonteroMan @ Sep 3 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a few questions:

#1) I am going to get a permanent filler done very soon. My biggest concern however, is having the scar being over-injected and being left with a lump. The derm that i had my restylane injections done with kind of left lumps that you can notice on very severe lighting. Has there been any lumps forming from over injecting? All i want is a doctor who will make sure that he doesnt over inject.

2) I live in Canada and the permanent filler we use is Artecoll. Do you think you would see the same results with artecoll injections. I think i would prefer silicone injections by dr. alkek, but the cost of flying down to dallas was be enormous.

3) How much improvement, percentage wise, have you seen thus far?

I have had both silicone and artecoll (in Canada) injections. Both have been good treatments for me. I have some lumps, but they are only visible when you stretch the skin. Cannot see them during any normal circumstance. In fact, the areas that I have got the best correct are the areas that have lumps when stretched.

As far as overcorrection goes, I have had about 3 rounds of artecoll and 5 rounds of silicone and nothing is overcorrected significantly (MAYBE one spot, but its not bad). I think the process is relatively slow so you can probably put a halt to it before you go too far.

Improvement is VERY VERY hard to gage. If you fill a scar by 50-70%, the problem is there is still a scar there. Under directional light, this scar WILL show. So often times you feel like you are not getting correction, even though you are still filling in the depressions. It is so hard to say what benefits you will get.

The question is how much does it bother you, how much money do you have, and how much risk can you take on. For me, it bothers me a lot (but much less now that I have improved significantly and cared less over time), I have plenty of money, and am a risk taker by nature (also why I have money, haha). Its been a PITA and has been very frustrating and dissapointing at times, but overall...I still it is worth it. If you are short on cash, and its only a minor problem to you...maybe its not worth the potential that you may get little benefit.

#226 doggydogg

doggydogg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

I have been getting artefill treatments as well. I have had every treatment you can possibly think of with the exception of CO2. I have darker skin so this is not really an option for me. I tried fraxel and it is a waste of time and money. In my opinion, if I were lighter skin the best thing to to do would be to get a filler to make the scar as superficial as possible (however many number of treatments you need would be variable). I would follow this by a powerful ablative laser (CO2 or maybe fractional CO2) to improve whatever is left. Just my opinion but i think it would give good results.

#227 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

hey guys, for those of you who have tried the fillers injection treatments, I was told by one dermatologist that scar tissues can make these fillers spread out to other areas on your face, unlike with wrinkles where the fillers just stay at where you inject them. In other words it's hard to be precise and predictable using fillers to treat acne scars - it might not go to where you want it

Has anyone heard anything similar to this? And how are Dr Lam's skills in terms of controlling where the fillers go

#228 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

dingdingding - I have not heard of that problem with silicone done with the micro-droplet technique since the droplet is so small, that it stays in place while the collagen builds around it. I have had severe scarring and I did not see a displacement of the filler droplets with my 7 treatments of silicone micro-droplets. The injections were very precisce and the results showed up in the injected spots.

However, when I had one treatment with Restalyne, the benefits lasted for about 3 weeks or so because, just as your doctor said, the underlying scar tissue acted as a conduit and the restalyne just dispersed (at least that was the opinion of one of the nurses that I spoke to afterward). So restalyne was an expensive trial ($400) that went away very fast.

I did not notice the same dispersion with the silicone micro-droplet because each one was injected into its own pocket of tissue and there is not a mass injection and then a mass dispersion like some of the other fillers.
Never give in--never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Sir Winston Churchill

#229 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Dan T. @ Sep 6 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dingdingding - I have not heard of that problem with silicone done with the micro-droplet technique since the droplet is so small, that it stays in place while the collagen builds around it. I have had severe scarring and I did not see a displacement of the filler droplets with my 7 treatments of silicone micro-droplets. The injections were very precisce and the results showed up in the injected spots.

However, when I had one treatment with Restalyne, the benefits lasted for about 3 weeks or so because, just as your doctor said, the underlying scar tissue acted as a conduit and the restalyne just dispersed (at least that was the opinion of one of the nurses that I spoke to afterward). So restalyne was an expensive trial ($400) that went away very fast.

I did not notice the same dispersion with the silicone micro-droplet because each one was injected into its own pocket of tissue and there is not a mass injection and then a mass dispersion like some of the other fillers.

thanks for the informative post Dan. Were you pleased with the results you got from the silicon injections?

now that i think about it, that dermatologist did mention Restalyne when he told me about the filler dispersion problem. I wonder if it's something in Restalyne that causes it?

Does anyone know if this Dr Lam uses micro-droplet technology?

#230 francescaN

francescaN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

silicone is dangerous!
i was very stupid and very desperate so last year i travelled to NY couple of times to have silicone injected by what i believed at the time was reliable doc. of course i was wrong. i always wanted dermal grafts or recollagenation with fascia and i should have never agreed to have this awful thing injected into my face, but if youre desperate you do stupid things before thinking twice.
i had two treatments, it only took two rounds to be left with several lumps, bumps and very visible overcorrection right in the middle of right cheek competely deforming the shape structure and normality of the unit. one word awful. i have gone back third time to have these removed by electrodessication surgery and yes some where removed just fine, one spot left terrible burn scar and irregularity which i think would require revision surgery or grafting to ever look like skin tissue again. overall just about the most awfull experience of my life. i havent stop crying everytime i look in the mirror and all i wish is never to change my mind to have some dermal grafting done first. i do blame myself a lot what else can you expect being treated by a girl hardly older then you with virtualy no experience at all. anyway, i am trying to move on and find help to sort out this outrageous lumpy atrophic something i am left with on my right cheek hopefully its going to be possible. everybody who wants to have silicone: if you have little icepicks or deep cuts and burns like scars, basically if epidermis is gone it wont work, you need scar revision surgery, if you have to have silicone, pls choose somebody who is a. plastic surgeon (NOT dermatologist) b. has got decades of experience and c. you confident that this is what you have wanted. good luck and be merry
F

#231 searching4cure

searching4cure

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Drew Boy,

I'm having trouble viewing your before after pics...are they still up? I'm thinking about silicone injections. So far I've tried dermabrasion twice, 7 fraxel treatments, I've had injections, microdermabrastions, chemical peels, etc...etc. Nothing has worked. I'm concerned that I'm always going to have acne scarring. I would consider going to Texas to see Dr Lam or Alkek---unless there is a doctor who is just as good here in the midwest. I have acne scarring all over my checks, almost down to my jawline. I think it would be difficult to treat so many scars -one scar at a time-with injections.