Photo

Peanut Butter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 SameSongNDance

SameSongNDance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

I was consuming a jar a week and was breaking out like a mad man on my forehead. Once I cut down on it I stopped breaking out. Oh my...oh my.

#22 Metaphysics

Metaphysics

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Would natural peanut butter make a difference?

#23 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

Mmm I never had the impression that peanut butter made me break out. I eat a small jar a week more or less. I see no difference from when I wasn't eating it. But I had to cut out nutella which I was spreading on my bread too, which was breaking me out.

#24 TMB

TMB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

Apparently peanuts (therefore peanut butter) are inflammatory and can increase acne.

#25 Drizzler

Drizzler

Man of the Mountains

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (TMB @ Apr 16 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently peanuts (therefore peanut butter) are inflammatory and can increase acne.

Incorrect. Peanuts are actually slightly anti-inflammatory.

http://www.nutrition...products/4448/2
http://www.nutrition...products/4447/2
http://www.nutrition...products/4451/2

Exercise, eat and live like you are constantly trying to get into the best shape of your life, and it will show, inside and out.

#26 TMB

TMB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Not what I've been told by my Naturopath or what I've read. I was told corn and peanuts are inflammatory -- not all nuts, but peanuts in particular.

#27 Searching4simple

Searching4simple

Seriously?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Just a comment regarding brazil nuts, they are crazy-high in selenium, so everything I've read indicates that this is one nut to make sure to eat in moderation. I don't know if anyone watches House on TV, it's one of my favorites, they did a whole episode about a guy who got very ill because he had eaten way too many brazil nuts. All the best, S4s

#28 AdamDolce10

AdamDolce10

Tá ceart i gur le chéile

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (Drizzler @ Apr 17 2010, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but full of omega 6 fats which are inflammatory, counteracts it
Victory is sweetest when you have tasted defeat. "Michael Forbes"

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. " Winston Churchill"

I came, I saw, I conquered.
(Veni,Vidi,vici).
"Julius Caesar"

#29 SameSongNDance

SameSongNDance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

I just bought some Almond Butter. Me no like eusa_naughty.gif.

#30 Drizzler

Drizzler

Man of the Mountains

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (AdamDolce10 @ Apr 17 2010, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you think that would have been accounted for in NutritionData's assessment?
Exercise, eat and live like you are constantly trying to get into the best shape of your life, and it will show, inside and out.

#31 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Be cautious because too much almond butter caused me to break out badly on my forehead.
I stopped because I think it breaks me out occasionally on my forehead.

sad.gif I think I am going to add it back into my diet and have like 2 TBS a day on my smoothie. I only have problem eating this by itself.
I used to eat a lot of this.
Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#32 AdamDolce10

AdamDolce10

Tá ceart i gur le chéile

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (Drizzler @ Apr 17 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AdamDolce10 @ Apr 17 2010, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you think that would have been accounted for in NutritionData's assessment?

No I dont I have problems with that site it seems to keep changing its run by the public like wikipedia I think and it keeps getting edited
Victory is sweetest when you have tasted defeat. "Michael Forbes"

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. " Winston Churchill"

I came, I saw, I conquered.
(Veni,Vidi,vici).
"Julius Caesar"

#33 TaylorDudeFromMemphis

TaylorDudeFromMemphis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

aggh the crap we have to deal with as acnesufferers

sad.gif

ive found that when i eat chocolate, i actually feel my face get itchy and the breakouts start ....

so yea all the people that say food doesn't contribute to acne are so wrong ...

and yea, i find peanut butter does the same thing, i was eating two peanut butter and banana fried sandwhiches (freakin awesome tasting btw) and anyways they broke me out ...

and yea it sucks cuz i need protein and calories to bulk up to gain muscle, but i cant eat peanut butter, any kind of chocolate, or drink milk sad.gif eusa_boohoo.gif

Edited by TaylorDudeFromMemphis, 05 June 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#34 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

saturated fat is known to raise cholesterol levels, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats have little to no effect on cholesterol levels and therefore were labeled as "heart healthy" all hormones are synthesized from cholesterol, very likely your gains in strength were from this increase in saturated fat, or protein, depending on your dietary intake prior to introducing peanut butter.

this is a likely explanation. and generally speaking, peanut butter is moderately high in polyunsaturated fats, which are prone to oxidation, where saturated fats are not as prone.

it is possible that the polyunsaturated fats could affect acne. which would be supportive of claims that nut consumption "causes" acne.

there is evidence in my own experiance that suggests this is true as well.

try getting more saturated fat, and less polyunsaturated. whole fat dairy and milk, coconut and olives would be good choices.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#35 HiddenSpirit

HiddenSpirit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

Not sure if it breaks me out, but it sure it good for weightlifting, I'm gonna try without it for a while =(

#36 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

It's extremely common to be allergic to peanuts. and they are one of the worst sources of the lectins that Cordain, the Paleo guru, claims prevents skin cells from exfoliating properly and so clog pores.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#37 crashoran

crashoran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Bumping this old thread. I've been hitting the gym hard lately and have been eating a peanut butter sandwich every day (consuming 1 pound of natural peanut butter a week) and I've been breaking out like CRAZY all around my mouth and chin.

I'm going to stop immediately..