injury/broken bone on accutane

5 replies to this topic

#1 novembershadow

novembershadow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

so after riding my dumb baby horse and realizing he is a complete lunatic, I've realized there is a not improbabl chance that I'll break a bone of sustain some other kind of injury in the near future rolleyes.gif I know accutane slows the healing process, but has anyone ever actually had an accident or sports related injury while on it? What kind, and did you stop taking accutane... how did it heal, etc? If I were to say, break my wrist when aforementioned horse bucked me off and I was on accutane, would it probably be a total disaster and never heal properly or is skin scarring more of a concern than just general healing? I know the obvious answer would be to avoid getting that kind of injury, but I really don't want to stop riding because of the accutane, and it would be some kind of record if I *didn't* fall off a few times in the spring after his winter off, lol.

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

I took Accutane for two or three months and then had an injury while skiing (a kid ran into me...grrr). Tore the medial meniscus and the anterior cruciate ligament. Required arthroscopic surgery and the ACL tear wasn't fixed as the surgeon was surprised that was torn, too, and we hadn't discussed the extensive surgery that would be required for an ACL tear repair (bone grafting, tissue grafting, months and months of rehab and therapy).

I had to stop Accutane and was not allowed to restart it again at all but I was clear by then so not terribly upset (a bit, yes). The knee never did heal properly and now I have arthritis of the knee at a relatively young age. So...bottom line: don't do anything that may cause broken bones or torn ligaments. You'll rue the day. I certainly do and never even thought I would get injured.

#3 eXit

eXit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

i got hit by a car while i was running through a crosswalk on accutane and the car was going pretty fast. Surprisingly i walked a way with no Major injuries considering how hard i got hit. I work out everyday so maybe if you work out as well maybe that would help less injury.

#4 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

I tore ligaments, not bones, and the injury had nothing to do with increased weakness; it was an injury from an impact. The injury would have occurred whether or not I was on Accutane. The healing was the problem, and the impaired healing has caused life-long symptoms.

#5 eXit

eXit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 2 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tore ligaments, not bones, and the injury had nothing to do with increased weakness; it was an injury from an impact. The injury would have occurred whether or not I was on Accutane. The healing was the problem, and the impaired healing has caused life-long symptoms.

Same happened with me i tore muscles and ligaments and my shoulder has permanant damage but the damage isnt really that bad. Just a little sore all the time.

#6 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Awww that sounds painful Wynne
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users