Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Challenging the challenges caused by acne

220 posts in this topic

Ukulala, you took the words right out of my mouth.....having acne does have a way of putting things in perspective. I am going through a rough time with both acne and my personal life and i am grateful to discover the following:

• i have awesome friends that see me, not my acne!

• i have awesome family that is supportive and encouraging. Since all these issues have come up, my relationship with my mom has become so much more amazing!

• spiritually, i feel as if i am growing closer to God.

• I too am taking better care of myself - eating healthier, exercising, etc

I still get sad about having acne but i try to never forget that i have a lot going for me and that one or two negatives in my life should not negate a whole list of positives.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

So I had horrendous acne that made me into a hermit for the last 10 years. Then I finalyl got clear but I was left with deep scars that left me disfigured- I can barely look in the mirror. BUT I recently ordered a new product called Dermaflage that fills in scars and is amzing. I can get my face looking 80% better. Check it out on Youtube:

it is for a chick pox scar but it gives you the idea.

Wow, Jenny! Your skin is great and you are beautiful, with or without your scar! The way you covered your scar is awesome, it vanishes! So glad to hear a story of someone who has not only found a product which works for them and gives that confidence back, but also someone who has managed to overcome insecurities to put themselves out there and do something they enjoy. Good for you!

:hifive:

Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become habits
Habits become character
Character becomes destiny
It is time to change my destiny

You look like a guy I banged once.

So since starting Accutane I've been feeling super achy and weak and not really wanting to leave my apartment...

Well, today I ran a marathon for and it was so liberating

For one, it felt so good to run again. I haven't been really working out since I began accutane because I just haven't felt up to it. (And I'm someone who would hit the gym 5x a week!) I know that fatigue and achy joints are a side effect but I realized today that I need to live above the side effects. I think a lot of it is a mind game- You read about all these side effects and sike yourself out, making you believe that you can't do something; you sell yourself short... Now trust me, I know I'm not going to wake up everyday and jump out of bed, tie my shoes, and wanna run 10 miles but I am definitely going to make a concious effort to do what I can, when I can. Baby steps, people. =)

I also learned a great lesson from today... The marathon I was running was for young adults with cancer. When I was running I kept thinking about the people who I was running for. The sick, the survivors, the families who have lost a loved one, all of the scientists and doctors out there searching for a cure. And here I am, sitting in my apartment crying about my acne. It just really helped me put things into perspective- a huge wake up call I needed. I know having acne sucks and I know that it's not easy, but just remember that nothing is. If it weren't acne you'd find something else aesthtically wrong with you! (Don't even get me started on my thighs! =])

Good luck everyone!

Check out my Accutane Blog- Link is on my profile!

Acne gave me a very positive experience.

It made me discover Wai Diet, that changed my life.

It also made me start thinking about how the pharmaceutical industry is so corrupt.

It also made me discover that cooked food is just a man's whim, a drug like any other out there.

And so on...

On Wai Diet since February 2011 - fruits (fresh/dried/juiced), nuts, oils, fish, egg yolks, all raw. Clears all kinds of acne in 2 weeks! I've also been having huge improvements in my mood, sleep, and feeling healthy in general, which I think to be the very treasure of this diet!

Just google free acne book.

Washing face: only in the morning, only with low mineral bottled water (see rule 9 in the Wai Diet site).

Moisturizing: glycerin, vaseline, fruit/nut oils. Market moisturizers destroy your skin in long term (see rule 8).

Shaving: with a hair trimmer, shaves pretty close. Blades cause too much irritation.

No smoking, no drugs, drink with smart moderation.

My diet log with photos

Thanks for the kind words and inspiration to get better!

It's definitely a hard thing to challenge, but that why I made this post. Unfortunately most people haven't posted anything.

One person misunderstood and thought i meant to post the positive things of having acne... what i meant was post what you have done to overcome your fear of having acne. Like instead of spending 30 minutes in front of the mirror examining my flaws (which i do a lot), i spend only 10 minutes and forget about it before it gets to my mind and ruins my day.

I go back and forth daily with positive thinking and negative thinking. I am reading Eckhart Tolle's "A NEW EARTH" and it has really inspired me to make these changes in my lifestyle. Negative thinking anxiety, fear, etc all effect your mind/body, psychologically and physically.

SO ANYWAY, I really did hope that a persons post could become an idea/suggestion for another individual to try.

I can tell you one thing i started doing to overcome my fear of acne and thats reading this blog. Thank you. Acne has taken over my life and after dealing with it for years and years it has now started subside a little. But now i have a whole new problem on my face. SCARS. Idk... im sick of fighting it and not ever being able to be the person i want to be because i happen to have a body that produces excess sebum.

It's ok to be down and out about your skin every now and then. That's normal. But don't ever slack or lose confidence in taking the steps towards improvement. That is KEY.

I agree. Its strange though. Some days, life is good, I have no problem talking to new people or making new friends, maybe even talking to a beautiful girl, and making a date. Other days, I feel like putting a gun to my head and painting the walls with my insides. I prob should talk to somebody.

Well I went to Philedelphia with some friends amongst a dozen or so pimples but managed to have a good time

Dude lol thats were the sixth sense ghosts are. lol

It's ok to be down and out about your skin every now and then. That's normal. But don't ever slack or lose confidence in taking the steps towards improvement. That is KEY.

I agree. Its strange though. Some days, life is good, I have no problem talking to new people or making new friends, maybe even talking to a beautiful girl, and making a date. Other days, I feel like putting a gun to my head and painting the walls with my insides. I prob should talk to somebody.

These are emotional swings check if you got leaky gut. good luck

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Please read the board rules*

I was suffering from acne, but, I am cured now through self discipline and hardwork.

Don't listen to "NO" sayers, it takes a leap of faith and a strong belief in our bodies

AMAZING healing abilities.

Well I went to Philedelphia with some friends amongst a dozen or so pimples but managed to have a good time

Dude lol thats were the sixth sense ghosts are. lol

These are emotional swings check if you got leaky gut. good luck

Yes. Thanks. I been feeling better. I am trying to be a better man. I thought I was cursed and burdened. Then, I noticed scaring, imperfections, and permanent flaws. I wouldn't behead myself but, I felt myself wishing for disaster and peace at any cost. Its silly.

Its the holiday season and I feel new hope for a better life. I am focusing on education and trying to be more open to new opportunities. I have gone from a social person to a very quiet person. Then, I come back to socializing and then, back to starting over again. Its a very bumpy ride. Some times, I wish I was never born, and other days, I hate my being a pussy. I just enjoy life and the peace in the moment.

I guess its normal everyday life shit.

This topic seems kind of relevant to me right now, in terms of what I should have been doing. I realised I posted here in February. Yeah, that whole, "It starts now" thing... never actually started. rolleyes.gif

What little stability I had then is all gone now and I'm lower than I've ever been. And after some success earlier this year, my skin's now worse than it's ever been. Well and truly hit rock bottom. Sick of it all. sad.gif

r u on any kind of acne regimen like accutane or diet?

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Please read the board rules*

I was suffering from acne, but, I am cured now through self discipline and hardwork.

Don't listen to "NO" sayers, it takes a leap of faith and a strong belief in our bodies

AMAZING healing abilities.

I've had my fair share of being depressed because of my skin condition, but as the time goes by, I learned to live with it and my situation became better. Just keep on thinking that one day this problem would go. What I will always remind myself whenever I think of my face is this: "Someday this ugly-duckling will turn into a stunning swan just wait and see"

PATIENCE is very important when dealing with acne.

And always think that you are not alone.

Happiness is the consequence of personal effort.

You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it,

and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it.

Drop by on my blog smile.png

http://her-inner-core.blogspot.com/

I suffered from this bad feeling but after all we should not allow anything to make us un happy about how we look and should try to feel good all the time beacuse acne is like any disease and we will get better if we believed in that .

I'm proud of myself these past few weeks. I am more motivated than before; I've been studying more efficiently without a negative mind. I can remember concepts. Before this, I'd be extremely negative and beat myself up into a state of extreme anxiety and depression for not understanding the material. Now I've got my game face on :)

"Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all." - Michael Masser

Hi Everyone--

I've ready many of the posts in this amazing thread and wanted to add my own contribution before reading the rest.

The following is from a speech by David Foster Wallace, one of the most brilliant minds of our time, IMO. He is speaking at the commencement at Kenyon College in 2005:

This, I submit, is the freedom of a real education, of learning how to be well-adjusted. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't. You get to decide what to worship.

Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship--be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles--is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth.
Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you.
On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clich├ęs, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.

I encourage everyone to read the full transcript here: http://moreintellige...n-his-own-words and really try to take the bolded part of the above to heart. What are we really talking about here? Acne destroying our happiness. But I can tell you I've gone months without a zit, and it didn't make me automatically happy. I wasn't miserable as I was when I was breaking out, but I still had everything else in my life to address. And then I unexpectedly broke out again, and died another of my million deaths.

I recently saw a documentary about a bodybuilder who was featured on the cover of fitness magazines, who at one point said, "I feel fat today." We can't let ourselves become that person. Because the same drive that will lead us to do every single thing in our power to get our skin clear will also keep us in misery at the first imperfection.

What I'm trying to say here is that what we're all after is mostly an empty pursuit. I've been trying to escape it for a long time, and I will tell you that it isn't easy at all, and I have by no means succeeded completely. But being aware and really thinking about what is important in your life is the first step.

Back on the acne.org regimen since 9/19/09. Doing it right this time!

I'm just getting really depressed and basically having mini panic attacks lately about my skin. Ran out of my prescriptions for the stuff I was on for the last year and a half and it did wonders. I was completely clear, hyper-pigmentation healed and everything. Unfortunately, within a month of stopping I now have worse acne than I have had ever included huge cystic acne all over the middle of my face and top of my nose! I could normally get through it since I have a dermatologist appointment on Monday, but my friend's having her son's first birthday party on Saturday and she is inviting all of these people from high school (I'm 24 now) and I haven't seen them since then so I'm just really embarrassed. I have to go because I am the godmother and I feel obligated but just thinking about it makes me cry so much. I don't want anyone to see me like this. I can't even smile because I have painful pimples around my lips and jaw...I'm just really depressed. I hope Saturday goes by quick and I hope Monday bring some solutions here. :-/ Everyday I wake up and look in the mirror I have to hold back tears. When I messaged my other friend about what I'm going through she said she was having "severe" breakouts too...I saw her and her face was flawless not one pimple in sight maybe just a teeny itty bit of redness. If she thinks her skin is bad then what in the world is she going to think of me? :-( Why can't I just have clear skin like everybody else I know? I do everything right! Sigh...I guess I just needed somewhere to vent.

Each day I keep trying to tell myself in my head that I AM a pretty girl. Sure, I ain't the best looking girl but I'm not the ugliest either. Yes, I have this problem with acne but so what? I'm not the only person on the planet with it. There are plenty of other people who deal with acne as well! I always tell myself that if people are going to judge me wrongly just because of my acne, then they're not worth my time.

So, yeah, basically screw what other people think :) I'm trying to control my acne. That's all that matters.

1 person likes this

Regimen for shoulder/back/bum

1. NO dairy

2. Little to no junk food/pop

3. Drink plenty of water

4. Bathe at least every other day

5. Wash shoulders/back/bum with Dawn Dish Soap

6. Apply Noxema to bum and rinse

7. Apply Extra Virgin Olive Oil to bum every night before bed; let sink into skin

8. Avoid sitting/laying on sides as much as possible throughout day

98% improvement!

I'm just getting really depressed and basically having mini panic attacks lately about my skin. Ran out of my prescriptions for the stuff I was on for the last year and a half and it did wonders. I was completely clear, hyper-pigmentation healed and everything. Unfortunately, within a month of stopping I now have worse acne than I have had ever included huge cystic acne all over the middle of my face and top of my nose! I could normally get through it since I have a dermatologist appointment on Monday, but my friend's having her son's first birthday party on Saturday and she is inviting all of these people from high school (I'm 24 now) and I haven't seen them since then so I'm just really embarrassed. I have to go because I am the godmother and I feel obligated but just thinking about it makes me cry so much. I don't want anyone to see me like this. I can't even smile because I have painful pimples around my lips and jaw...I'm just really depressed. I hope Saturday goes by quick and I hope Monday bring some solutions here. whistling.gif/ Everyday I wake up and look in the mirror I have to hold back tears. When I messaged my other friend about what I'm going through she said she was having "severe" breakouts too...I saw her and her face was flawless not one pimple in sight maybe just a teeny itty bit of redness. If she thinks her skin is bad then what in the world is she going to think of me? whistling.gif( Why can't I just have clear skin like everybody else I know? I do everything right! Sigh...I guess I just needed somewhere to vent.

I know how feel and am in a similar situation where I'm reconnecting with some friends from couple years back at a music festival.Apparently they missed me and everyone wants what we had a few years back.So I'm sure acne or no acne they be thrilled to see you but the only thing is the acne affect your confidence.You have friends /family that want to see you so thats a plus right?Acne sucks and it does affect how I act and what my mood is.Fingers crossed hopefully your party goes well and its not your fault that you have acne nobody deserves it and its just pure chance just like the colour of your hair.

Anyway today acne sucks but I'm also grateful its not as severe as it used to be .Also I sat back and thought of the things I missed because due my depressed mood because of acne. There are too many situations or opportunities that have gone by and I promise myself that despite acne I'll give it my all in all others areas of my life and isolate the acne.Life tough I guess if it was perfect then there will be no ambitions for the future?

my acne experience is like this ever black tunnel but there is this tiny inch of light coming through on the other side. I have gotten accustomed to the darkness but the light is a place i would like to be no matter how much i like being in the dark. Though I do have to say that even though acne has somewhat caused me to lose most of my friends and buried my confidence , it has made me someone very interesting and eccentric.Building up back my confidence and showing everyone my interesting side ,if they like it or not lol is the light on the other side of the tunnel. One day .......

Acne doesnt challenge me, I challenge acne! >.>

Always remember to think positive, have hope and smile wiggle.gif

I always try to be positive. I usually smile when people look at me. I'm a happy person. However, if my skin gets worse.. I lose confidence. I look down instead of looking at people and smile. My skin is mild atm, it always mild. If severe, I would stay in my house :X I can't wait for this semester to finish. I am not going to register in the summer and probably Fall 2012.

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.

Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.

Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!

I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

Hi everyone,

I am a medical student who has battled acne myself for many years. I can relate to every one of you and that is why I have been compelled to try and develop a solution to help people manage their acne. It would help me out a lot if anyone with 5-10 minutes to spare can fill out a survey I have created here.

I've had some people fill it out and, I have to say, it has been super informative and very helpful to hear everyone's personal story with their acne. The more people that I can hear from via the survey, the more it will help me out. Thanks!

Living with acne made me fall victim of the spotlight effect.

I thought everyone was looking at me, analyzing how crude my skin had become. But in reality, I learned that people don't really care that much. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, people of our society in general are inclined toward the spotlight effect, having everyone in their own spotlight thinking they're being watched and monitored.

Well, I decided to challenge such conflictive thinking and looked at people straight to the eye without showing fear or embarrassment. WOW, that was a change! Ever since I've been confident about myself regardless of the acne of the given day.

One other method that helps me cope with acne is to think that my condition could be worse. I could have other terrible skin conditions that thankfully I don't have to suffer from. So maybe you can try comparing your skin to worse ones and feel better about your scenario. Sounds a bit harsh, but it helps to cope with the psychological effects of acne.

CS.

3 people like this

When I have bad acne, I would look at the white patches of skin I still had left.

Thats it, thats all I did and it made me feel a bit better....

Everything is in flux! Everything changes!

I remind myself of that a lot. Also that I have so much to be grateful for! We all do!

It's okay!!!

2 people like this

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

please check out my story and give advice

/>http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316739-is-clear-skin-asking-too-much-help/

please check out my story and give advice

/>http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316739-is-clear-skin-asking-too-much-help/