This topic is archived.
254 replies to this topic

#1 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

hey guys, I'm just wondering how many of you guys are still undergoing tca crosses (either by urself or by a doc or plastic surgeon). How would you rate your improvement so far? has it refined and 'lifted' the acne scars substantially?

I've actually just bought a 100% tca solution from Julie Robins (hopefully it will come soon since I live in australia). I'm also undergoing tca cross treatments from a plastic surgeon (I know, i know, there should be a resting interval between treatments, but I will only be treating places that he didn't treat ie some open pores which hopefully will close).

I really hope this treatment will work for my mixture of open pores and ice picks and some general smallish scars since ive tried everything from aha to fraxel and hope needling (0.75mm ones), and while these have generally improved those big scars, they seem to level until a certain point which make the remaining scar seem like a scared pore or ice pick.

So since ordering the 100% tca, I'm going to make a trip to get the following:

-aquaphor
-gloves
-toothpick/ wooden skewers (whichever is smaller and give a more accurate application)
-alcohol/acetone

Since my fraxel treatments late last year I've also had omega 3 supplements, vitamin A (10000IU), Vit C (3000mg/day), Vit E, and Vit B5.

Now I would really find it helpful if anyone here on acne.org that are doing or had done tca crosses to give me some helpful tips and hints so i don't screw up.

Should I be moisturing using aquaphor until the scabs fall off? Or not applying anything until the scabs fall out? Any input from fellow members will be very much appreciated. Also, if possible, pls state how long you have been crossing yourself and what % of improvement you have experienced so far (permanent ones, not the result of swelling or microswelling)

Thanks guys!! I've read all over and found tca crossing to be a promising way to help refine skin texture of acne scars and enlarged pores!! (hopefully) oompf.gif

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:20 AM

Have you done a search yet for other people's experiences? That's how I decided to do a TCA CROSS myself, and how I learned to do one, plus information on after-care.

Check the following link out, and the section on TCA CROSS:
http://www.acne.org/...ENTS-t5996.html

TCA CROSS gave better results than needling, but I did not use a tattoo machine, just a diabetic lance that was of extremely small guage.

It is very easy to make a mistake, the acid is afterall quite liquid and can easily drip or run into areas you don't want it to. A toothpick is the best, and you can shave/sharpen them to make an even smaller point as needed.

You want to keep the area moisturized UNTIL a scab forms, and then do nothing at all until the scab falls off by itself. Try not to dislodge the scab in any way; let it fall off naturally as that ensures better results. I used a combo of copper peptides and emu oil and vaseline until scabs formed and then just sunscreen (spray on type so wouldn't have to risk dislodging the scabs).

The supplementation you've chosen sounds decent, but the vitamins A and C are too high. You do not need to megadose to obtain good benefits and results.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#3 brion1234

brion1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Apr 22 2008, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you done a search yet for other people's experiences? That's how I decided to do a TCA CROSS myself, and how I learned to do one, plus information on after-care.

TCA CROSS gave better results than needling, but I did not use a tattoo machine, just a diabetic lance that was of extremely small guage.

It is very easy to make a mistake, the acid is afterall quite liquid and can easily drip or run into areas you don't want it to. A toothpick is the best, and you can shave/sharpen them to make an even smaller point as needed.

You want to keep the area moisturized UNTIL a scab forms, and then do nothing at all until the scab falls off by itself. Try not to dislodge the scab in any way; let it fall off naturally as that ensures better results. I used a combo of copper peptides and emu oil and vaseline until scabs formed and then just sunscreen (spray on type so wouldn't have to risk dislodging the scabs).

The supplementation you've chosen sounds decent, but the vitamins A and C are too high. You do not need to megadose to obtain good benefits and results.

Has TCA cross ever made someones scar worse(deeper)?

#4 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Apr 22 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey wynne thanks for your reply. Why is it that you only did one round of tca cross?? I thought tca cross, like any other treatments, need several rounds for improvements?

Also, how much would you rate your imrpovements using tca cross by?

#5 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Hey wynne thanks for your reply. Why is it that you only did one round of tca cross?? I thought tca cross, like any other treatments, need several rounds for improvements?

Also, how much would you rate your imrpovements using tca cross by?

I have been lazy and so many other things seem more important recently. biggrin.gif I'd say 10-25% improvement.

Scars can worsen if the person applies too much TCA or sloppily applies the TCA. I did not have any worsen.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

#6 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have been lazy and so many other things seem more important recently. biggrin.gif I'd say 10-25% improvement.

Scars can worsen if the person applies too much TCA or sloppily applies the TCA. I did not have any worsen.

Sorry for asking so many questions tongue.gif but do you have any enlarged pores? Im thinking of treating my enlarged pores as well but it would seem i must be veeeeeeeeery veeeeeeeery careful... Im pretty sure treating my large pores will improve the texture of my face.

Also, did you have any scabs that fell off prematurely?? the doc i went to had scabbed me on my forehead with one that fell off prematurely in the shower (i didnt even scrub it), and now it just seem like a partially healed wound. I'm quite scared at the moment and started applying vit C serum to it. Hopefully, it wont leave a nasty scar... argh

#7 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

Please do a search of the boards and you'll see people who treated scarred pores.

I had a few scabs (one or two) fall off prematurely. Those spots I moisturized once the scab fell off, using emu oil and copper peptides. One or two scabs (the tiniest ones) stayed intact for 14+days! Moisturize the spots that have 'de-scabbed,' you can even use Aquaphor mixed with the vitamin C serum.

Be absolutely sure you use sunscreen and even then avoid tanning. I had a few spots where collagen regeneration stopped and even reversed (but not back to pre-TCA CROSS state) when I had sun exposure during my honeymoon.

#8 jay7

jay7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hey Wynne

I had tca cross done six days ago by a derm on a couple of ice-pick scars (or maybe they're somewhat large scarred pores!) beside my nose. One took three days to scab (still intact), the other took four (and I accidentally knocked it off in the shower - looks like another scab is forming now though...). I've been using sunscreen but yesterday I would have got about 2 minutes of sun without sunscreen while putting washing out. Do you think this is likely to cause problems...? confused.gif

#9 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

I doubt two minutes will cause a problem.

#10 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (jay7 @ Apr 23 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Wynne

I had tca cross done six days ago by a derm on a couple of ice-pick scars (or maybe they're somewhat large scarred pores!) beside my nose. One took three days to scab (still intact), the other took four (and I accidentally knocked it off in the shower - looks like another scab is forming now though...). I've been using sunscreen but yesterday I would have got about 2 minutes of sun without sunscreen while putting washing out. Do you think this is likely to cause problems...? confused.gif

Hey jay7,

I'm from australia as well and i did my tca cross by a plastic surgeon six days ago too (last thursday), anywayz, i still have the scabs on, maybe only about 1 or 2 have dropped off.

I'm sure your sun exposure wont be causing any troubles, since we're having slightly less UV now because summer is over. But just make sure you put sun screen from now. How many treatments of tca are you planning on doing?? I believe my plastic surgeon is unable to cover all my enlarged pores and scars in one treatment so i'm buying tca solution over the net and do some other scars on my own.

#11 jay7

jay7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey jay7,

I'm from australia as well and i did my tca cross by a plastic surgeon six days ago too (last thursday), anywayz, i still have the scabs on, maybe only about 1 or 2 have dropped off.

I'm sure your sun exposure wont be causing any troubles, since we're having slightly less UV now because summer is over. But just make sure you put sun screen from now. How many treatments of tca are you planning on doing?? I believe my plastic surgeon is unable to cover all my enlarged pores and scars in one treatment so i'm buying tca solution over the net and do some other scars on my own.

I had mine done Thursday last week too smile.gif The one that scabbed first has stayed scabbed; the one that scabbed later and came off is a bit of a worry perhaps... no sign of any scabbing or crusting after my shower this morning - just this red hole which is about the same size, maybe a tad bigger, as the original untreated thang. How are your ones that have dropped off looking...?

I'll see how they pan out (busting to see what's underneath the one which hasn't dropped its scab yet) and if I like what I see I'll have about ten more scars/enlarged pores treated, probably over two sessions. Too scared to go the 'do it yourself' route myself wink.gif

Thanks to you and Wynne on sun reassurance - I'll be sunscreening more carefully from now on!

#12 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (jay7 @ Apr 24 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey jay7,

I had mine done Thursday last week too smile.gif The one that scabbed first has stayed scabbed; the one that scabbed later and came off is a bit of a worry perhaps... no sign of any scabbing or crusting after my shower this morning - just this red hole which is about the same size, maybe a tad bigger, as the original untreated thang. How are your ones that have dropped off looking...?

I'll see how they pan out (busting to see what's underneath the one which hasn't dropped its scab yet) and if I like what I see I'll have about ten more scars/enlarged pores treated, probably over two sessions. Too scared to go the 'do it yourself' route myself wink.gif

Thanks to you and Wynne on sun reassurance - I'll be sunscreening more carefully from now on!

Hey jay,

those scabs that have fallen off look quite good, some of the scared pores are already smaller in size but some seem to have no visible change yet. though from what ive read on here, some take about two weeks before dramatic improvements can be seen so im keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll probably have about five or six sessions because each time the surgeon treats a different area of my face (im still at uni so doing all the scars on my whole face is vitually impossible).

How are those that have fallen off looking?? did ur doc tell you to moisturise until the scabs fall off or just to leave it?

#13 jay7

jay7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 24 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey jay,

those scabs that have fallen off look quite good, some of the scared pores are already smaller in size but some seem to have no visible change yet. though from what ive read on here, some take about two weeks before dramatic improvements can be seen so im keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll probably have about five or six sessions because each time the surgeon treats a different area of my face (im still at uni so doing all the scars on my whole face is vitually impossible).

How are those that have fallen off looking?? did ur doc tell you to moisturise until the scabs fall off or just to leave it?

Hi again eyeboy

I'm really pleased that you're getting results biggrin.gif

I saw my derm this morning and he wasn't sure if the one that dropped off (err, I mean came off...) will improve or not at this stage (not quite what I wanted to hear, but I appreciated his honesty - it can be treated again in a month or so if it's no good). On a positive note, he thinks the scabby one should do very good things.

He didn't mention about moisturising today though - last week he said to put Savlon on them every day. I'm torn between putting nothing on the scabbed one (Wynne's advice - I'm not doubting it but I would like some info on results from an unmoisturised scab vs a moisturised one) or continuing to Savlon... confused.gif And I'm really hanging out to see what's under that scab (one of the only scabs ever that I've resisted the urge to pick - never too late to reform eusa_angel.gif ) - I'll let you know.

#14 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (jay7 @ Apr 24 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 24 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey jay,

Hi again eyeboy

I'm really pleased that you're getting results biggrin.gif

I saw my derm this morning and he wasn't sure if the one that dropped off (err, I mean came off...) will improve or not at this stage (not quite what I wanted to hear, but I appreciated his honesty - it can be treated again in a month or so if it's no good). On a positive note, he thinks the scabby one should do very good things.

He didn't mention about moisturising today though - last week he said to put Savlon on them every day. I'm torn between putting nothing on the scabbed one (Wynne's advice - I'm not doubting it but I would like some info on results from an unmoisturised scab vs a moisturised one) or continuing to Savlon... confused.gif And I'm really hanging out to see what's under that scab (one of the only scabs ever that I've resisted the urge to pick - never too late to reform eusa_angel.gif ) - I'll let you know.

Hey again Jay,

how often are you going to do this?? I'm trying to do it every 4 weeks but my surgeon isnt available so i have to wait 9 weeks!!! thats also the reason why ive decided to do some at home tca, to cover some other scars while im waiting for him... grrrr

its day 8 now and i STILL have scabs on certain areas... hows yours going?

you mean you picked a few of hte scabs???? haha most of mine came off in the shower and the resulting skin is a lil pinkish red... hope thats normal

#15 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

If your derm wants you to moisturize the scabs, moisturize them! smile.gif I did not, as that would make them fall off more quickly. Once the scabs fell off, THEN I moisturized.

It is truly better to do your absolute best to NOT pick. If you have to, stick a bandaid loosely over your scabs (so the areas don't get moist, that's why loosely) to keep you from picking. Tie your hands down, something!

#16 pennypal

pennypal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

I do tca cross. But I'm getting tired of looking bad while I'm working on my scars. Just doing one is hard - I always want to do more. Then I end up with all these bright red marks until they fade. And because they peel, makeup dosen't cover them up.

I do vaseline in the beginning.

If I was dicsplined enough I could just work on one scar and see if I could bget rid of it. But I have too many and I'm not discplined.

yikes.

#17 jay7

jay7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi ya eyeboy and Wynne

Uh uh, I definitely didn't pick any scabs off from my tca cross cool.gif - the one that came off early came off in the shower accidentally while I was cetaphiling my face. All I meant was that I used to pick at everything but am training myself out of this habit.

My progress...? Well the scab that did stay on was sort of hanging off when I looked in the mirror this morning. There was still another crust under that layer of scab so I would hope that it's still doing its thing under there smile.gif The one that came off days ago has recrusted so maybe there's still hope for improvement in that one as well.

I've got tentatively high hopes for tca cross and I'm doing another session in a month's time on some other nose crease scars.

I think I'll keep putting on Savlon too; my reason is that there's constant 'crusting' going on (a good thing, I'd guess??) and the Savlon doesn't seem to be stopping this process from happening - plus there's the bonus of minimising the risk of the little wounds from getting infected eusa_angel.gif .

And my very best wishes too for your home cross too biggrin.gif .

PS whether the end results be good or not so, I'll keep posting in this thread - nothing worse than reading a book and not knowing the ending wink.gif

#18 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hey pennypal,

how would you rate your improvements so far?? If you're tired to doing it yourself why don't you get a derm or surgeon to do it for you? I really want to do some self tca because it's really hard to match my schedule with the surgeon's schedule, and I've heard of people geting good results from self tca so I'm really hopeful, plus what the derm or surgeon is doing isn't that much different from how you would do it yourself (you just have to pay them heaps more for this treatment).

And jay, it's been about 10 days now and I STILL have a couple of scabs!!! they seem to be lifting off the sides though... but I really didn't expect the scabs to stay on for so long. I did see some improvements in some of my enlarged pores (icepick??), while some haven't. But from reading this site I'm hopeful that improvements can be noticed over the coming weeks.. Hows your's going? Have you booked an appointment for your next treatment yet? Mine's on the 25th of JUNE!!! argh, hence the reason for me doing self tca confused.gif

#19 velocifero

velocifero

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'm desperate to try this method (i'm still debating whether to get it professionally done or just buy the stuff online), but I'm deeply self-conscious about my skin and not sure I could handle walking around with scabs all over my face... suppose its the price to pay but just hope the improvements would be worth it.

#20 jay7

jay7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (eyeboy @ Apr 27 2008, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And jay, it's been about 10 days now and I STILL have a couple of scabs!!! they seem to be lifting off the sides though... but I really didn't expect the scabs to stay on for so long. I did see some improvements in some of my enlarged pores (icepick??), while some haven't. But from reading this site I'm hopeful that improvements can be noticed over the coming weeks.. Hows your's going? Have you booked an appointment for your next treatment yet? Mine's on the 25th of JUNE!!! argh, hence the reason for me doing self tca confused.gif

Mornin' eyeboy smile.gif

I'm booked in for more on May 28th. I've had my current cross-spots covered up with Savlon but it looked like things were still progressing when they were Savlonless after my shower this morning - the holes are still crusty-looking and I'm hoping that they are starting to fill in somewhat beneath that stuff.

Just in case I do decide to try some of this at home, where did you order your kit from please...? I might just bite the bullet yet tongue.gif