Photo

Does testosterone cause acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 find myself

find myself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Does having high levels or a lot of testosterone cause acne?

#2 Acne_is_my_secret

Acne_is_my_secret

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

its confusing I think hormones in general do if they are imbalanced and if your body is sensitive to hormone activity. x

#3 AltaPGT

AltaPGT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Everyone will say testosterone causes acne, but I have to disagree, at least it doesn't work alone. I am not "manly" at all, not very hairy, not a very deep voice, not overly muscular or whatever. My point is that I know lots of "mens men" if you will that have completely clear skin, then I know nerdy litte shrimps, girly men, etc that have terrible acne. This sounds comical but I'm completely serious.

#4 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

I think it depends moreso on your testosterone receptors, and sources of inflammation from your lifestyle and diet.

But excessive testosterone, and reduced sex hormone binding globulin, probably has something to do with it.

#5 find myself

find myself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

what is sex hormone binding globulin? and how would you know if it is reduced or not?

#6 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (find myself @ Apr 16 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is sex hormone binding globulin? and how would you know if it is reduced or not?

It's a globulin that binds to sex hormones. xd

Specifically, it binds to testosterone, estrogen, and others to make them unusable.

Reduced levels of SHBG = more active androgens.

There's no way to tell outside a blood test, I don't think, but something interesting is that increased insulin causes reduced SHBG, and insulin resistance is often associated with acne.

#7 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

I believe also that there are many form of male hormones, just as there are many different forms of estrogens, and they act differently, and I think a person can have elevations in some androgens which for instance increases oil, but may not increase muscle mass. Or someone with the form of testosterone that bulks you up, but doesn't increase oil. I don't think you have to be excessively "masculine" in order to have elevated androgens in specific forms that can cause acne. This is a general theory, and I don't know which forms of androgens do what, so don't hold me to those examples, but the basic theory is correct I think.

#8 Seekirus

Seekirus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:14 AM

Well if it does, everyone who takes Zinc as a supplement is raising there testosterone levels. Because Zinc raises testosterone.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Apr 16 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe also that there are many form of male hormones, just as there are many different forms of estrogens, and they act differently, and I think a person can have elevations in some androgens which for instance increases oil, but may not increase muscle mass. Or someone with the form of testosterone that bulks you up, but doesn't increase oil. I don't think you have to be excessively "masculine" in order to have elevated androgens in specific forms that can cause acne. This is a general theory, and I don't know which forms of androgens do what, so don't hold me to those examples, but the basic theory is correct I think.

I think your body/genetic code decides what to do with those hormones. For example, I think you commented once that because of your typical female body type, you didn't feel you had an excess of male hormones over female, or something to that effect. Well I have the same pear-shaped body type, but had severe acne and hirsutism. Yet my sister has a more masculine apple-shaped and muscular body but with very little androgenic hair. And she has acne, but never as bad as mine was.