Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does testosterone cause acne?

9 posts in this topic

its confusing I think hormones in general do if they are imbalanced and if your body is sensitive to hormone activity. x

Everyone will say testosterone causes acne, but I have to disagree, at least it doesn't work alone. I am not "manly" at all, not very hairy, not a very deep voice, not overly muscular or whatever. My point is that I know lots of "mens men" if you will that have completely clear skin, then I know nerdy litte shrimps, girly men, etc that have terrible acne. This sounds comical but I'm completely serious.

I think it depends moreso on your testosterone receptors, and sources of inflammation from your lifestyle and diet.

But excessive testosterone, and reduced sex hormone binding globulin, probably has something to do with it.

what is sex hormone binding globulin? and how would you know if it is reduced or not?

what is sex hormone binding globulin? and how would you know if it is reduced or not?

I believe also that there are many form of male hormones, just as there are many different forms of estrogens, and they act differently, and I think a person can have elevations in some androgens which for instance increases oil, but may not increase muscle mass. Or someone with the form of testosterone that bulks you up, but doesn't increase oil. I don't think you have to be excessively "masculine" in order to have elevated androgens in specific forms that can cause acne. This is a general theory, and I don't know which forms of androgens do what, so don't hold me to those examples, but the basic theory is correct I think.

Well if it does, everyone who takes Zinc as a supplement is raising there testosterone levels. Because Zinc raises testosterone.

I believe also that there are many form of male hormones, just as there are many different forms of estrogens, and they act differently, and I think a person can have elevations in some androgens which for instance increases oil, but may not increase muscle mass. Or someone with the form of testosterone that bulks you up, but doesn't increase oil. I don't think you have to be excessively "masculine" in order to have elevated androgens in specific forms that can cause acne. This is a general theory, and I don't know which forms of androgens do what, so don't hold me to those examples, but the basic theory is correct I think.