Photo

Lemon Juice method on brown acne marks (hyperpigmentation)!

hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Okay I just bought some fresh yellow lemons. Not the green lime ones, they wont work as I have heard. I will be trialling out this method for two weeks. Applying the lemon twice a day. Once in the evening and once at night. I will apply three times on friday, sat, sun (morning afternoon and before bed) as I am at home these days.

This will be used in conjunction with my current regimen (which has worked well after giving up BP as I did not want to be dependent on it and heard about its side effects such as premature ageing). My current regiment is jojoba oil twice a day and ACV diluted before bed, still not sure I will do this with the lemon, might be too much!

Why Lemon Juice? Well its a NATURAL exfoliant, has good reviews, and has bleaching effects. Also its cheap and theres nothing to loose.

Picture of pigmentation taken in afternoon (where the sun was down and covered by clouds) with my sony ericsson phone camera. My 11 megapixel canon got broken in a club 1 month back. The time when I wasnt suffering with this pigmentation (those were the days).

I will post pic on a weekly basis. Not taking into account active acne but only the mark. May I also add these marks occured after a 3 week cyst battle and in the end a fair bit of picking.

Here is a picture before treatment with lemon Juice. They actually appear slightly darker in real:

http://img245.images...ge=hyperxo3.jpg

WILL keep you updated!

Day 1 (14/04/2008):

Okay so I was home yesterday. I applied the lemon juice without diluting directly to the marks with a cotton pad. My skin is definitely not sensitive so this was not an issue. I applied it once morning, afternoon and evening. The lemon wasn't irritating on the marks (only maybe slightly) but where there was active acne it definitely was but still nothing major (infact it was good as it felt like it was penetrating). Today I observed the results from one day and I noticed some slight peeling on one of the marks. I left the skin the way it is without touching it and headed off to work. Although promising its still far too early to say anything. Lets see what happens!

Day 2 (15/04/2008):

Today was great. I got home from work about 6 and applied the lemon juice first thing. Remember I leave it on until dry (becomes sort of sticky, then you know its dry) and never wash off. Well later that night before going to bed I washed my face, ready to apply my moisturiser and I realised some of my skin peeling off on some of my mark (really thin amount, like maybe one layer). So I let it come off naturally as I washed my face. Ths was amazing as I instantly noticed some of the mark became lighter. Now its still visible but im assuming thats because this pigmentation is across several layers of the skin. But this was a good start, I was over joyed, I hope it stays this reduced. I am happy because its only been two days I just hope it stays ths way! Until next time.

Day 3 (16/04/2008):

Applied only once today in evening, then washed of before bed in shower. Did not reapply before bed as i forgot. Today I did notice any difference at all on the pigmentation but then again I think I got lucky on the first day!

Day 4 (17/04/2008):

Got home pretty late today! about 9ish. I thought let me apply the juice multiple times as I didn't in the morning. As I had say Mon-Thurs im in the office so dont wanna leave lemon on my face in the morning.

Once the lemon juice dried, I applied it again. I let this dry up and didnt go to sleep until about 1am. At this point I washed my face and applied the jojoba as normal. Also may I mention I applied some BP cream, even though I said I wasn't going to anymore. Instead I thought I would use BP only once daily in the night.

As far as the lemon juice goes I didn't notice any difference in the marks by the end of the day.

#2 autumnfalls

autumnfalls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

ya i was thinking about lemon juice, tell me how it goes

#3 autumnfalls

autumnfalls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

oops typed twice

#4 Scar_face

Scar_face

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

OMG, I think I'll try it out as well!

I just don't know how to apply it...

#5 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Hi autumnfalls i'll update this thread regularly (atleast i'll try tongue.gif). I suggest you try it if you have pigmentation although I can't say how effective it is until atleast 2 weeks or more (that the point of this thread), but textbook wise it seems it should do the job! Anyway Scar face I normall squeeze some lemon juice from a fresh lemon (make sure its a fresh lemon and not the juice you buy in a jar) into a small bowl. Also make sure the lemon is stored in the fridge. I then go near a mirror and dip a cotton pad until it absorbs some of the juice and dab it on the mark(s) but you need to make sure some of the juice actually comes out in thick amounts so it can really absorb. It's kind of tough to do this as the juice normally runs off, that's why its also important you DAB. Do this a couple of times until you know you got a good amount on the mark(s). Then just leave it to sit and dont worry. You may feel some tingle or stinging but its normal. Lemon is naturl exfoliant and in essence it works the same way a chemical peel but alot less harsh and more cheaper. I feel its also alot more safer. If you have sensitive skin or its too irritating then you could try dilute it but for me I think this will work faster and I can hack a bit of pain! Good luck!

#6 autumnfalls

autumnfalls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

cool thanks a lot sid, i think im going to try it soon. hopefully it goes well for all of us haha

#7 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

Hi guys I have been using this method for about 6 days now. I can conclude it doesnt actually help for post acne marks. Whilst applied it may appear your marks are less but thats because the juice has dried giving a sort of even blend look. When you wash it off the acne marks are just the way they were. I think its great for people who have no marks but just want a glow to their face, but it has to be used constantly. Well that being said I am still looking at new ways to get rid of this plague!! Maybe an at home peel is next...

#8 6sixty2two

6sixty2two

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

hello!
so are you going to stop using the lemon on your face?

i've googled over the internet as well, with a lot of home remedy sites recommending the lemon juice method for the brown marks.

#9 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (6sixty2two @ Apr 20 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello!
so are you going to stop using the lemon on your face?

i've googled over the internet as well, with a lot of home remedy sites recommending the lemon juice method for the brown marks.

Hi sixty, ye the thing is some would say its too early to see results but to be honest I think its great for giving your skin a glow but nothing more. Lemon juice is an AHA but a weak one at that and I think it would be better to use a glycolic peel instead which would probably work faster. I am going to try using this peel. I am also considering getting a professional microderm carried out to even my skin tone and lighten my marks. I may still use the lemon juice time to time just to improve my skin tone in general and I think if you have already have even skin without any acne breakouts this would be good to use once or twice a week!

What are you doing, is the lemon juice going well for you?

#10 almost pretty

almost pretty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

sid,
i really dont think you gave it enough time. ive never tried this method but you cant expect miracalous results in 6 days. patience is the key to getting results.

#11 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (brown skin @ Apr 20 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sid,
i really dont think you gave it enough time. ive never tried this method but you cant expect miracalous results in 6 days. patience is the key to getting results.

yeah you needed to give it more time (2weeeks +) to be able to notice any significant changes

#12 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

yes guys you are right. But im not saying im giving up, im just going to use a glycolic acid instead of lemon juice, both are AHA's but i just think the glycolic will produce faster results. Although I used it 6 days undiluted multiple times I did not notice even the slightest peeling.

I was researching on lemon juice and came to know it has a bleaching effect which is temporary as it interfers with some certain bonds. So the results temporarily can be fascinating but wont be permanent, I kind of witnessed this especially as I had the juice applied. I feel the best method to get rid of these marks would be using my skin lightener and in conjunction with an exfoliant (in this case the glycolic acid) so that new fresh skin will appear faster and will have a smaller level of active melanocytes due to the skin lighteners ability to inhibit this. Even then this doesn't give me an answer to my uneven skin tone (which I think was caused by the skin lightener on the surrounding skin). I am still contemplating on getting a professional microderm done all over.

At the end I think before any treatment can be done to produce the desired results active acne must be first dealt with. In my case its almost completely gone with the exception of one pimple (also on the way to going). After this I may book myself into some microderms but i'm not sure if it will be worth the money. My aim is not to get smooth skin (as I already have that with the aid of jojoba) but to have an even complexion and remove these superficial pigmented marks.

I was also researching that if not cured quick enough memory cells remember the level of pigment and keep on producing the same level of pigment on the area of the mark (maybe the reason people struggle getting rid of it). I hope this is not going to be the case with me.

If anyone has any further recommendations please let me know, especially about microdermabrasion and its effectivness on uneven skin tone and superficial hyperpigmentation. Thanks guys, together we can beat this!

#13 zenonie

zenonie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

i tried that and it didnt work

#14 6sixty2two

6sixty2two

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (sid99 @ Apr 20 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi sixty, ye the thing is some would say its too early to see results but to be honest I think its great for giving your skin a glow but nothing more. Lemon juice is an AHA but a weak one at that and I think it would be better to use a glycolic peel instead which would probably work faster. I am going to try using this peel. I am also considering getting a professional microderm carried out to even my skin tone and lighten my marks. I may still use the lemon juice time to time just to improve my skin tone in general and I think if you have already have even skin without any acne breakouts this would be good to use once or twice a week!

What are you doing, is the lemon juice going well for you?

actually, i'm thinking about trying the lemon juice as soon as i find time to head on to the store and buy some lemons.
i actually tried it around a year ago and it did a good job at helping to fade the brown marks, i kept at it for around three weeks and was happy with the improvement, which is why i stopped using it afterwards.
i had a recent breakout, which has left me with new brown marks. that's why i'm researching again on what other things i could try that is quick and easy, and something that i can do from my home.
THANKS for your response! HOPE that your treatment goes well! biggrin.gif