Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AltaPGT

Bodybuilding + Low Carb Diet

29 posts in this topic

This is a question to you people out there who lift weights/try to put on muscle and follow a low carbohydrate diet. Most lifters try to spike their insulin after workouts to get carbs and protein into the muscles asap. That is basically the complete opposite of what we want as far as defeating acne is concerned. We try to minimize insulin spikes and avoid carbs.

For those that follow a low carb diet and lift weights: have you noticed a decrease in gains, strength, endurance, tone, or any other aspect because of your lack of carbs?

Thank you.

This is a question to you people out there who lift weights/try to put on muscle and follow a low carbohydrate diet. Most lifters try to spike their insulin after workouts to get carbs and protein into the muscles asap. That is basically the complete opposite of what we want as far as defeating acne is concerned. We try to minimize insulin spikes and avoid carbs.

For those that follow a low carb diet and lift weights: have you noticed a decrease in gains, strength, endurance, tone, or any other aspect because of your lack of carbs?

is there a problem if you exceed the amount of carbs post workout? too little and you will see little effects, but too much could be not as good? I heard that 200 gm of carbs after workout would be okay, but that seems like a lot.

Acne is disappearing... slowly

Regime: this regime has worked for me for the past month. Diet is nothig special; just avoid diary and sugary drinks/foods.. still eating lots of junk food like fries which doesnt' seem to affect me, have some fibre in the breakfast from berries and oats. Chicken, rice, bread, tuna, peppermint and green tea, cocoa, eggs, lost of baby carrots

THE KEY: Sunlight in the morning (15 to 30 mins), sleep at least 7 hrs a day

drink water whenever I can (aimin for 2 ltrs), wash my face with water morning and night

sexual activity only once every 10 days (til my skin recovers, then keep it moderate)

SUPPLEMENTS: MSM 1000 mg 3 times a day, Zinc 50 mg once a day, Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day

is there a problem if you exceed the amount of carbs post workout? too little and you will see little effects, but too much could be not as good? I heard that 200 gm of carbs after workout would be okay, but that seems like a lot.

Thanks Danny, I am anxious to hear what Healthoid and the others might have to say about this, because in the past I have heard that they do quite well despite having few carbs...

I have gained a considerable amount of weight on a low carb high fat diet. I was underweight before from eating "healthy" but after going low carb I gained all my weight back, and then some.

Im not really into bodybuilding, I just train muay thai 2x a week and skateboard every now and then. Im about 78 kg right now, still gaining a bit each week.

Here I am at I don't know what weight, just way too skinny that's for sure.

Here I was at 75 kg in february.

So yeah it's perfectly possible to gain muscle without any carbs at all. I don't necessarily think that it is optimal. A ketogenic diet can defenetly be a catabolic diet. But I don't think my personal results would have been all that different with post workout carbs though. Just go ahead and experiment, gaining mass takes time anyway, so there is certainly room for tweaking before you find what works for you.

I think it depends on the intensity and kind of exercise.

For example martial arts combine phases of anaerobic activity and phases of aerobic activity.

A exclusively anaerobic exercise would requires carbs or at least weekly refeeds.

The reason is physiological. During aerobic acitivity oxygen is not available and fat can't be burned without oxygen. This doesn't only mean no fatty acids but also no ketone bodies and no glycerol.

The only energy could come from glucogenesis which means protein catabolism but not only such form of energy is catabolic and uneconomical but it can't provide atp fast.

I have low carbs, low fats and higher amounts of protein.

Although i'm not trying to get big, i'm slim and toned.

Acne is disappearing... slowly

Regime: this regime has worked for me for the past month. Diet is nothig special; just avoid diary and sugary drinks/foods.. still eating lots of junk food like fries which doesnt' seem to affect me, have some fibre in the breakfast from berries and oats. Chicken, rice, bread, tuna, peppermint and green tea, cocoa, eggs, lost of baby carrots

THE KEY: Sunlight in the morning (15 to 30 mins), sleep at least 7 hrs a day

drink water whenever I can (aimin for 2 ltrs), wash my face with water morning and night

sexual activity only once every 10 days (til my skin recovers, then keep it moderate)

SUPPLEMENTS: MSM 1000 mg 3 times a day, Zinc 50 mg once a day, Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day

if you're low carb you must go high fat, getting fuel from protein is not a good choice

When I'm in bulking and cutting I have to favour less fat foods like lean cottage cheese or egg whites or low-fat yogurt.

Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

if you're low carb you must go high fat, getting fuel from protein is not a good choice

Around the beginning of this year, I started doing the Paleo diet and had incredible results in clearing my skin. I was eating high fat and high protein and what carbs I ate were just fruit and veggies. Although I am not a bodybuilder trying to put on mass, I am an endurance athlete who requires the same type of recovery carbohydrates after exercise, so Paleo dieting causes a problem for me.

When I first started the Paleo diet I was in the off-season part of my training doing low-intensity aerobic base building exercise. On the Paleo diet I found that my endurance and aerobic capacity actually felt more efficient once my body adapted to the high fat diet. While I would frequently burn 1500-2000 calories on a single ride, since I was aerobic most of the time so I was burning mostly fat so I could get away with eating fruits and veggies during recovery.

Where I have run into problems with the Paleo diet is when I started increasing the intensity back in March in preparation for racing which requires a lot more anaerobic efforts. I quickly found that the fruits and veggies just weren't cutting it during the recovery window after exercise so I had to start introducing higher carb meals so that I could recover well and replenish muscle glycogen stores.

Now my skin is back to where I started before the Paleo diet and I have to assume this is because of the high amount of carbs I have to ingest.

I'm also wondering if the Paleo diet + moderate carb is negatively affecting me after reading Dotty1's post re: insulin resistance. I have reasons to suspect my acne is caused by hormonal imbalances/insulin resistance and her latest threads show proof that high fat diets increase insulin resistance. If this is in fact true, the Paleo dieting in combination with moderate carbs is could be the root cause of my insulin resistance, and could in fact be negatively affecting my recovery as insulin resistance could be very detrimental to cell recovery.

I think I may try the low fat low-GI diet and see how I do there. It seems like it would fit my dietary needs as an athlete.

Low-fat, low-GI was essentially my diet last summer when I was cycling. I did have acne but it was minimal compared to how it is now. Also, blood tests from a physical last summer reported my blood lipids were at amazingly healthy levels. I'm curious where my blood lipids stand now that I have been eating Paleo for the past 4 months.

When I'm in bulking and cutting I have to favour less fat foods like lean cottage cheese or egg whites or low-fat yogurt.

And what would you do if you didn't have access to foods that had the fat removed for you? I.e., if you lived a few thousand (or even hundred) years ago? I think cavemen got plenty muscular without having to go out and buy fat-free dairy.

Where I have run into problems with the Paleo diet is when I started increasing the intensity back in March in preparation for racing which requires a lot more anaerobic efforts. I quickly found that the fruits and veggies just weren't cutting it during the recovery window after exercise so I had to start introducing higher carb meals so that I could recover well and replenish muscle glycogen stores.

Now my skin is back to where I started before the Paleo diet and I have to assume this is because of the high amount of carbs I have to ingest.

If you consume maple syrup make sure it's organic, since the fake maple syrup is a terrible food.

That being said I'm not living there and I'm more interested nowadays in maintaining my hard-gained lean look and fitness all year around.

That being said I'm not living there and I'm more interested nowadays in maintaining my hard-gained lean look and fitness all year around.

So you always eat the same way to achieve your lean low body fat% body? As you mentioned in the past:Lots of veggies with every meal, a protein source and a carb source (not refined) and a little portion of fat sources like nuts and oils. And so u simply reduce the total calories if you want to be further sculpted? Sorry I am asking you this again but how many hours a week do u spend on exercise? I think you always mentioned that you are pretty successful at mantaining low body fat% for a long time. so i am curious (like others) what specifically u do. Grazie Danny :angel:

So you always eat the same way to achieve your lean low body fat% body? As you mentioned in the past:Lots of veggies with every meal, a protein source and a carb source (not refined) and a little portion of fat sources like nuts and oils. And so u simply reduce the total calories if you want to be further sculpted? Sorry I am asking you this again but how many hours a week do u spend on exercise? I think you always mentioned that you are pretty successful at mantaining low body fat% for a long time. so i am curious (like others) what specifically u do. Grazie Danny :angel:

Thanks for all that. very intersting way of your options of diet. But I understand the main thing about lowering total calories when cutting and that lowering carb soruces reduces total calories

Thanks for all that. very intersting way of your options of diet. But I understand the main thing about lowering total calories when cutting and that lowering carb soruces reduces total calories

Yes. You can see that if you consume 1800 calories a day and you need 100 grams of protein you would need to consume 22% protein and if to get enough essential fat you would need let's say a minimum of 40 grams of fats you would need 20% fat. These are minimum for or less.

So this leaves 78% of calories from carbohydrates if you had to consume just the minimum amount of protein and fats.

Let's say you cut calories and your diet becomes 1050 calories.

Now to maintain the same amount of proteins you would need 40% proteins and to maintain the same amount of fat you would need 36% of fats which which leaves only 24% of calories available for carbohydrates.

More likely it is because of the high-inflammation, increased oxidative damage, increased IGF-1, increase catecholamines, increased free testosterone from the sudden bout of intensity and or calories.

Dotty1's recent thread about high fat diets and insulin resistance pretty much reinforces what I am seeing happening to my body with regards to increasing IR. It's affecting my recovery and everyday life with the mental and physical fatigue. And exercise is supposed to be good for insulin resistance!