This topic is archived.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

In a recent study published in Diabetes Care, cinnamon proved to be such a dual-action agent. Sixty adults (30 men, 30 women) with type II diabetes were divided into six groups. The first three groups consumed one, three, or six grams of cinnamon daily, while the other three groups consumed placebo capsules.

The spice or placebo was consumed for 40 days, followed by a 20-day washout period. After the initial 40-day period, all three levels of cinnamon reduced mean fasting serum glucose levels by 18-29%. The one-gram dose also reduced triglyceride levels by 18%, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) by 7%, and total cholesterol by 12%. Higher doses of cinnamon produced even greater reductions in triglycerides, LDL, and total cholesterol.7

Even better, these decreases persisted throughout the 20-day washout period. While glucose and triglyceride levels increased modestly during the washout period compared to day-40 levels, they remained below the levels recorded before cinnamon supplementation began. Meanwhile, LDL and total cholesterol levels continued to decline throughout the 20 days after cinnamon use stopped. This study suggests that cinnamon has sustained effects, so the benefits should continue even if a dose is occasionally missed. The results also suggest doses of one gram or more are likely to be beneficial in controlling blood glucose and lipid levels.7

Whereas the highest dose (6 g/day) produced the most rapid response, the lowest dose (1 g/day) produced the most sustained response, i.e., a continued reduction in glucose levels even at the 60-day point; the reduction observed was 16%.

Cinnamon thus appears to be one of the most powerful nutrients available for improving glucose metabolism.

Source: http://www.lef.org/m...cinnamon_01.htm

============================

How to:
Cinnamon is sold at the local grocery store and is sold in 1 gram capsules. Take 6 grams each day for 3 weeks or until your skin is clear. Then, see how much you can lower your dosage and still remain clear.

#2 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

If you have clicked on my "Chromium Picolinate" post out in the main forum, you know that my skin is 80% clear after taking 600mcg of Chromium Picolinate these last 2 weeks (usually I need medication to stay clear -- and doctors have suggested I try accutane).

Just like Chromium Picolinate, Cinnamon is known for regulating blood sugar levels, preventing insulin spikes and therefore stopping excess androgen production which causes clogged pores.

This is a great way to get clear while working on lowering your carb intake.

#3 novembershadow

novembershadow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

So is regular (organic) cinnamon, like the spice sold in bottles for cooking, the same as what would be in the pills? It's not processed differently? I'd rather just shake a bunch of that over some applesauce than take yet another pill. I would assume cinnamon is cinnamon, though!

#4 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

I am assuming that Cinnamon used for cooking and the cinnamon sold in capsules is the same cinnamon. It appears that 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon is equal to 3 grams... so 2 teaspoons daily.

Depending on the severity of your acne, you might want to take 6 grams of Cinnamon.

The capsules sold at the store are about $3.00.

#5 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Thats nice and all, but Ive been asking myself one question...

can you have insulin resistance when you have almost no belly fat? or is it that even though you have no belly fat, you can still have organ fat and thus insulin resistance?

Dannyyyyyyyy?! smile.gif

#6 silverlake

silverlake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for posting that! I bought a bottle yesterday for 11 pounds (a bit of a rip off but I prefer capsules) but I didn't know how much to take. It says 1 capsule a day on the bottle (500 mg) but I may take 2 now. I may also try chromium, it sounds interesting, thanks! I have mild acne though, so I may try a lower dose.
By the way, I'm very skinny but my results always showed high bordeline cholesterol so I hope it helps in that area too!

#7 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Veen -- I do not have ANY belly fat. In fact, I do not have any symptoms of insulin resistance... yet the Chromium Picolinate has worked wonders for my skin.

"A spoonful of cinnamon helps the acne go down...the acne go down...the acne go down..." la la la =P

#8 unclear1982

unclear1982

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Apr 9 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Veen -- I do not have ANY belly fat. In fact, I do not have any symptoms of insulin resistance... yet the Chromium Picolinate has worked wonders for my skin.

"A spoonful of cinnamon helps the acne go down...the acne go down...the acne go down..." la la la =P

Supercalafrajelesticexpialadocious !!!

#9 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Something to keep in mind:

Cinnamon is what's known as a "strong sensitizer", meaning it has a strong tendency of inducing immune reactions after continued exposure. I image 6 grams of cinnamon every day would do it, and if that reaction happens internally, that could be rather uncomfortable, if not painful.

A long time ago I tried using cinnamon topically as an antibiotic and it worked great for about a month...until I suddenly developed eczema on my face. It took about a month for the eczema to heal completely, and in the mean time, all the flakiness made my acne waaay worse, so then I had acne AND eczema at the same time on my face. It was humiliating and painful.

Also, I've heard of people becoming violently ill by swallowing a spoonful of cinnamon. A teaspoon is about 5 grams.

#10 valo_123

valo_123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Apr 9 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cinnamon is what's known as a "strong sensitizer", meaning it has a strong tendency of inducing immune reactions after continued exposure. I image 6 grams of cinnamon every day would do it, and if that reaction happens internally, that could be rather uncomfortable, if not painful.

A long time ago I tried using cinnamon topically as an antibiotic and it worked great for about a month...until I suddenly developed eczema on my face. It took about a month for the eczema to heal completely, and in the mean time, all the flakiness made my acne waaay worse, so then I had acne AND eczema at the same time on my face. It was humiliating and painful.

Also, I've heard of people becoming violently ill by swallowing a spoonful of cinnamon. A teaspoon is about 5 grams.

Lol, I'm not trying to discredit your claim but the people get violently ill because it's almost impossible to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon at once (probably because the fact that it's a powder). My brother used to offer $20 to anyone who could swallow a spoonful of cinnamon when he worked at the olive garden....2 guys puked and one guy kinda just sucked on the mass on cinnamon for an hour before he got it all down.

Dotty- "Whereas the highest dose (6 g/day) produced the most rapid response, the lowest dose (1 g/day) produced the most sustained response, i.e., a continued reduction in glucose levels even at the 60-day point; the reduction observed was 16%."

When it says a low dosage produced a sustained response, is that suggesting that the high dosage wore off after awhile? Or is it just that both worked but the lower dosage continued to maintain a low insulin level even after the cinnamon was stopped? Also, how long before meals should it be taken? (I'm assuming you take it before meals?) Does it have a cumulative affect in the body?

#11 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hmm, well I just swallowed two spoonfuls of cinnamon a few minutes before I read this post. We'll certainly see if I become sick =P. It was in capsule form...

Btw, I USED to get sick when I ate at restaurants which put cinnamon in their spaghetti. I was never sick when my family put cinnamon in pumpkin pie, but I'd become really nausious after eating "cinnamon spaghetti." The same thing happened to my best friend when I took her there.

Valo- it meant that for the two month period that the subjects stopped takng Cinnamon, the subjects who had only taken 1 gram per day still had low blood sugar levels for up to 40 days after not taking it. The subjects who took 6 grams a day had low blood sugar levels for only 20ish days after they stopped taking the cinnamon.

You dont have to take it at each meal. Just take it each day. Its effects will last throughout the day.

#12 valo_123

valo_123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Sounds good, thanks. I was talking straight cinnamon in a spoon lol

#13 AlexGF

AlexGF

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

ok dotty is your duty to keep us informed, I've seen cinnamon powder, sticks and liquid form, I guess capsules are better, gonna see if I can buy it next time I go to the store!

#14 ~ Honey ~

~ Honey ~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Being with friends,go out shopping,music,movie and all that other stuff :P

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

but hey, couldn't you just put two teaspoons of cinnamon in a cup of tea?
or would it lose it's effectiveness then ? eusa_think.gif

#15 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

3 hours have passed since I took the Cinnamon capsules. I'm not sick at all. I've never been sick after taking cinnamon capsules... although my friend is afraid of them since she became sick affter eating the cinnamon spaghetti.

If you can drink 2 full teapsoons in a cup of tea each day, that would probably be fine. But you might get tired of it =P.

#16 ScottC has no game

ScottC has no game

Im the prize... not her

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:Playin basketball, watching movies, playing with my dog, hustlin' on the poker tables

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

for the last week+ ive been eating two cut up green apples a day, warmed up in the microwave, and then smothered in cinnamon. i probably get at least 2 teaspoon fulls of cinnamon daily through this. Put it in in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes, then pour the cinnamon over the apples, it taste just like apple pie..its my new fav desert.

Oh and I havnt had a single pimple this week hmmm

#17 eric_in_va

eric_in_va

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Apr 9 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean a strong sensitizer?

#18 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hey guys, my skin is 80% clear... and I've been on the Chromium Picolinate 2 weeks now. Today, I woke up and my forehead is completely clear. It is easy to see that within a week or so my complection will be completely healed.

I would definitely use cinnamon and Chromium Picolinate to get the dramatic results in a short amount of time.

#19 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

pretty cool link.
So now that we are allowed a little leeway with the sugar consumption by taking a little cinnamon then I think it is Awesome because now it becomes possible to add Cinnamon to the green smoothies to compensate for the fruits (sugary fruits ) that are added to mask the flavor of the greens (and also the cinnamon provides a pretty good flavor to the smoothie also). Its like a win win situation.

I have taken cinnamon orally previously and did not have any adverse reaction to it. But topically I have not tried it.

#20 gilligan09

gilligan09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Apr 10 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, my skin is 80% clear... and I've been on the Chromium Picolinate 2 weeks now. Today, I woke up and my forehead is completely clear. It is easy to see that within a week or so my complection will be completely healed.

I would definitely use cinnamon and Chromium Picolinate to get the dramatic results in a short amount of time.

bump