Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kangin

This better work, Accutane >=(

43 posts in this topic

Alright, so I just started Accutane yesterday and am on a 40mg dose of Accutane Roche, 1 pill every other day for 2 weeks then onto every day. I decided to make a log since reading everyone else's has really made me feel at ease when I got prescribed Accutane. I wish to do the same for others as well as my own benefit =).

First of all, some background info..

My name is Kyle, I'm 1718(woot!) and male. I've been suffering from mild-moderate acne with occasional inflamed ones now and then for 4 years. I was on BP and Fucidin cream for an excruciatingly long time, BP and Clindoxyl Gel for a REALLY long time as well. Also took Tetracyclin with BP and Clindoxyl. Switched derms twice, since the first one was real sketchy(do dermatologists actually use syringes to pop a big, inflamed pimple and prescribe Tetracyclin for a week just for that one inflamed pimple, without a follow up? I dunno, but he left me scars =/). Acne was a really big part of my life(not a good part, btw) ever since it started in grade 7, it would constantly be on my mind and eye contact with my friends..hell, eye contact with anyone was difficult without feeling like they're zoning in on my huge, inflamed pimples. Only until recently, I just didn't care anymore. I had other things to do and other things to worry about(school! hah), so acne took a back seat and kept quiet. Hm..I lied. I DO care about my acne since I'm on Accutane right now, but just to a lesser degree..it's not controlling my life anymore.

Anyways, on to what my skin is like..

Like I said, I suffer from mild-moderate acne with occasional inflamed ones. My skin is really oily(nose and cheeks), I have to blot at least 2-3 times a day and the sheet will be covered in oil each time. But my face can also get really dry, especially around my mouth, above my upper lip. That place is like a haven for dry skin or something. My face flushes really easily, like when I bend down to get some stuff out of my school bag, I come right back up bright red.

Since I'm on 1 pill every other day, I'll only be updating the night/morning after I took the pill.

Day 1

Nothing really different haha, I don't really expect much just from one pill. The area around my mouth is starting to dry up again and I fell asleep while studying....but I don't think that's cause of the Accutane haha.

I'll update next time with pre-tane/tane pictures!

On the Regimen

Day 2

Three actives on the right side of my face, two of which are really close together near my nose are dying down. My chin is becoming flaky and dry, one active there that has come to a white. A small zit on my nose has also come to a white. Everything else is fine!

No side effects so far, except for the dry skin on the chin maybe? Feel kind of tired these few days, but that may be from long nights/mornings of studying and homework thus, no pictures haha.

edit: I can feel a big one coming from my above my lip, it must have been from shaving because it wasn't there yesterday =/

On the Regimen

Day 3 - Taken April 12

Everything looks the same so far. Definitely feeling the dry lips right now though, my lips have never been so dry so quickly before. My nose and mouth area are gradually getting dry as well, but nothing a little moisturizer can't fix. That supposedly big one above my lip seems to have dried and isn't as..plump. I'm itching to shave though, but I don't want to irritate the skin there as I've read that the skin gets really fragile while on Accutane and I could shave off skin =(.

In terms of other side effects, just have dry skin. Kind of tired lately and kind of pissed I can't regularly work out during this time but all of this is for clear skin, so I'm willing to take that sacrifice haha. Maybe I'll experience more side effects as I get off the one pill every other day, and begin my one pill every day course.

On the Regimen

Day 4 - Taken April 14

Two new painful bumps. One near my eyebrow, and one near the corner of my mouth. The one near my eyebrow went to a white though, which I popped...Is that okay? =/ Everything else looks fine. Dryness is still around my mouth/lips and my nose, which I'm itching to just exfoliate off cause I can feel this hard layer of dead skin when I just touch the area...but I'm worried that it might irritate it more.

Is exfoliating recommended while on Accutane?

On the Regimen

Good luck on your course of accutane! I'm on day 20 now and so far it's really not so bad. I wouldn't recommend exfoliating while on tane. Your skin is super fragile and it can cause some major damage. I'm having trouble staying away from the exfoliating scrubs myself but I'm scared of the consequences haha.

40 mg Claravis 1x/day

Started 3/27/08

My accutane log

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2240534

Daily Regime:

AM:

CeraVe cleanser

CeraVe moisturizer

Body moisturizer w/ urea

Omega 3,6 & 9 fatty acid supplement

1 tbsp linseeds

1 40mg Claravis pill

PM:

CeraVe cleanser

Cerave moisturizer

Body moisturizer w/ urea

I've been waiting for your log ! Welcome to the club of accutane users ! wow your less than a week in, it seems like just yesterday I started accutane. Don't worry, it's a bumpy road but in no time the weeks will be passing by. good luck & keep in touch !!

=======================

Start of accutane: 3/4/2008

Month 1-40mg

Month 2-40mg

Month 3-60mg

Month 4-60mg

Month 5-60mg

Month 6-60mg

End of accutane: September 2nd 2008!!!!!

D0NE WiTH ACCUTANE !!!!!! ;]

My Accutane Log:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=189297

My journey continues!

New skin log:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-...Di-t284352.html

Start: 12/3/2010

Minocycline 100MG

Differin .1%

Clindamycin

R.I.P Grandpa.

03/13/08

R.I.P Ant.

4/19/08

Mini update - Day 4

Okay, so I found time to take some pictures of my progression so far!

Day 4 - Full Mugshot =X

Day 4 - Right side

Day 4 - Left side

Mmm, yeah. I just took these after my shower a few minutes ago, thus the disheveled hair haha. To compare...This is what I looked like on Day 3!

Day 3

Can't quite see it because of the lighting, but there's a significant decrease in the amount of pimples that day compared to day 4.

On the Regimen

Thanks for stopping by my log!

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your course! Def keep in touch and I will def be reading your progress :)

My 1st accutane Log-started 3/5/08:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=189596

My 2nd accutane Log-started 6/23/10:

<a href="http://www.acne.org/messageboard/2nd-Accutane-Log-28-F-t271614.html" target="_blank">http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=271614</a>

Month 1: 20mg

Month 2: 40mg

Month 3: 60mg

Month 4: 80mg

Month 5: 80mg

LKP: Thanks! Good luck to you as well =). Yeah I didn't think it would be advisable...but it's so tempting.

ChapinaCutie: Thank you =) Can I just take the highway instead of the bumpy road? =(.

Henchman: Nice! I wish you good luck on your course

beachgirl59: Thanks a lot, and likewise to you haha.

Day 5 - Taken April 16

I can feel a HUGE one coming on my nose...and it's on the exact spot where I had a painful cyst that took forever to come to a white. Other than that, I can feel many small pimples on my chin as well as my cheeks. Two moderate pimples came to a white but they popped while I was in the shower. The one near the corner of my mouth that I thought was gonna be a huge one died down, the same goes for the one near my eyebrow. I'm looking a lot more red than usual too.

Shaved today...really couldn't help it haha. But it was a clean shave, no irritation or pain at all. I tried to be as gentle as I could while doing it.

edit: ooh, i forgot to mention that I had my first nosebleed yesterday haha. yay?

On the Regimen

Hiya! Figured I'd mosey on over this way since you looked at my stuff, too. Thanks for that. :)

I'm sorry to read you've had a nosebleed already. I'm dreading those and hope I don't get 'em because I've never had one! I'm going to keep an eye on your log. Best wishes to you!!

Day 6 - Taken April 17

Today is the start of taking tane every day instead of every other day. And today, I can REALLY feel the dryness from it. My face is flaking like a mother, and when I run my fingers along some parts of my face, it's scaly =X. I'm more worried about my flaking skin than my acne when I talk to people because sometimes I come home from school and I see a loooooooooot of pieces of dead skin hanging off my face.

In terms of acne, I have two moderately painful pimples on the left cheek that have come to a white but I'm not sure if I want to pop those...I also have two that aren't actually pimples yet, they're bumps underneath the skin that hurt when you touch - there's one above my lip and one just on the outside of my nostril. I have two small pimples on my forehead as well.

The ones on my chin may not have been pimples, but clusters of dry skin haha. The "going to be a cyst" one on my nose seemed to have died down, it's not painful anymore but a bit red.

Not sure if this could be my IB, cause some of these pimples came out of nowhere. I just woke up to a face of a few painful bumps and ones that came to a white. I hope this is my IB, cause I can definitely deal with this haha.

On a side note, I just found out my brother's on Accutane too! I'm really happy for him, because compared to him, my acne was nothing. His self confidence around others was demolished because of his acne, and I really just want him to feel comfortable with himself and how he looks. I can't wait til both of us finishes tane and hopefully end up with clear skin!

On the Regimen

Day 7

Yeah...my face has gotten even worse in just one day. Quite a few medium sized and red bumps. Four on my left cheek, one pretty big one on my nose(the one I thought wasn't going to be a cyst...it's even larger now), a small but painful one underneath my nostril, and another on the outside of my nostril. Two small ones on my right cheek but they died.

Face is also flaking like crazy haha. Lips get dry really fast as well. Gonna pick up some Aquaphor today and some mild bar soap.

On the Regimen

Hi,

I'm a medical esthetician and work for a dermatologist. We work with acne and Accutane patients all the time.

You need to know that it's going to take around 3 months or so to start to see improvement in your skin. In fact, it may get worse before it gets better. By month 3-4 it's going to improve, and then rapidly improve. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. I'm telling you, I have clients/patients with the WORST cystic acne EVER and Accutane is a miracle drug. They will still come in for acne treatments while on Accutane so I get to see them through this process and this seems to be standard timeline to see improvement.

Hey skinsmything, thanks for your input =) I appreciate it.

Yeah, I was mentally prepared for the worsening of my skin before it would get better BEFORE I actually got my prescription for Accutane...but it's different when you actually experience it haha. I just didn't think it'd get worse this early in the game =/ But I know this is just the beginning of my journey to clear skin, and just thinking of the result is keeping me going =D.

Thanks for your encouragement =).

On the Regimen

Your skin is going to look SO GOOD!!! I just wanted you to know what to expect from someone who works with Accutane patients firsthand (other than the DR. and they are so busy they rarely have the time to let the patient vent or ask a lot of questions) so you wouldn't give up...our clients really need that encouragement and support while going through it.

^That would be so helpful, one on one rants about Accutane with the derm especially if they themselves have gone on tane haha. But then I have this site to do just that =D. When the day I wake up to clear skin comes, I'm gonna be ecstatic haha

Day 8

Pretty sure I went through my IB yesterday. They're red, large, and some of them are painful. But other than that, usual dry lips(they're getting drier real fast too, I had to apply Vaseline 3 times today), headaches, and my face is rather oily which is probably from the IB.

Trust me, it looks a lot worse than the pics show haha. It must be the lighting.

post-60920-1208806754_thumb.jpg

post-60920-1208806759_thumb.jpg

post-60920-1208806763_thumb.jpg

post-60920-1208806754_thumb.jpg

post-60920-1208806759_thumb.jpg

post-60920-1208806763_thumb.jpg

On the Regimen

Day 16

So, it's day 16 now according to my box of tane pills haha. I must have miscounted! Anyways, those 3 big ones on my cheek have died and the one on my nose(which got HUMONGOUS during the week..I mean, it's not my first time that I've gotten those huge ones but this one was big...) is almost flat now. The one just on the outside of my nostril also is beginning to shrivel up! But my most challenging pimple was the big one on my nose, it was extremely noticeable from the side haha. Just put on some polysporin and a band-aid on it, so hopefully it'll be completely healed soon.

Other than new actives, my face is still flaking quite a bit. Whenever I put on moisturizer, little bits of dead skin cluster together from my fingers rubbing in a circular motion and balls of it form =/. It also gets left on my finger tips after putting on moisturizer, tons of it too. But the good thing is that I haven't used a oil-sheet these past few days, so I guess my skin is starting to lose it's oilyness.

So far, no new actives as of right now. Just dying and dried out ones from the last time I updated. Hoping this is the end of my IB..but I doubt it =/.

On the Regimen

Day 23

Getting closer to the one month mark yay~! And also closer to the end of my pack of pills.

Not much to update right now..No new actives currently, just extremely dry skin and lips. I used to be able to survive the whole day with just one application of moisturizer, but as of right now, I need to apply it 2-3 times a day yet, I don't even have time to go home and slap on some moisturizer =/. Lips got considerably drier, Vaseline isn't cutting it and aquaphor is out of my grasp here in Canada...so Vaseline is my only savior to these drier than desert lips. I've also had some really bad back pains, they killed so bad!

BLACKHEADS. Wow, those bastards popped out of NOWHERE one morning. My nose was like a blackhead orgy, jeebus. But I can see that some of them are going away and the pores aren't visible anymore, which is amazing to see!

So far so good, hoping to see more improvement soon!

On the Regimen

Thanks for stopping by my log.

Its great to hear that you have no actives at the minute, at least it shows that some progress is being made.

I think the hardest part of being on tane is being patient!!!!!!

I'm only on it a week and sometimes I get frustrated for not seeing progress (crazy I know).

You are two weeks ahead of me so we should both be getting clear at the same time! Keep in touch and best of luck!!!

Day 23

Getting closer to the one month mark yay~! And also closer to the end of my pack of pills.

Not much to update right now..No new actives currently, just extremely dry skin and lips. I used to be able to survive the whole day with just one application of moisturizer, but as of right now, I need to apply it 2-3 times a day yet, I don't even have time to go home and slap on some moisturizer =/. Lips got considerably drier, Vaseline isn't cutting it and aquaphor is out of my grasp here in Canada...so Vaseline is my only savior to these drier than desert lips. I've also had some really bad back pains, they killed so bad!

BLACKHEADS. Wow, those bastards popped out of NOWHERE one morning. My nose was like a blackhead orgy, jeebus. But I can see that some of them are going away and the pores aren't visible anymore, which is amazing to see!

So far so good, hoping to see more improvement soon!

25/f persistent mild/moderate acne (more so moderate since the past year) with plenty of blackheads and clogged up pores

<<<MY ACCUTANE LOG (starting 5-12/13-08)>>>

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2268988

Thanks for stopping by my log.

Its great to hear that you have no actives at the minute, at least it shows that some progress is being made.

I think the hardest part of being on tane is being patient!!!!!!

I'm only on it a week and sometimes I get frustrated for not seeing progress (crazy I know).

You are two weeks ahead of me so we should both be getting clear at the same time! Keep in touch and best of luck!!!

On the Regimen

Day 32

Whoo, past the one month mark! I had my dermatologist appointment last week and got prescribed two months of 40mg. I didn't ask how long I was gonna be on tane but I'll save that for the next visit =P.

My skin felt really nasty last week. It was really dry, flaky, and scaly =x. I didn't have any new actives until a few days ago, a big one right where my last huge one was. I thought that area would be taken care of but I thought wrong >=(. It has come to a white and I accidentally popped one part of it(you know those ones where there's 2-3 separate white heads on it? yeah, those ones..) so I dabbed some BP(I know! but spot treating just one pimple won't hurt, will it?) on it and will be putting polysporin and a band-aid on it before bed. Hopefully it will die down soon, cause it's been bugging me..heck all my huge ones bug me because eye contact is virtually non-existent when a big, throbbing, red pimple is on my nose.

But this week, my skin has been feeling really great(besides that pimple)! It actually feels like real skin, not scaly or dry. When I gently swiped my fingers along my face during cleansing, I was surprised and shocked at how smooth and soft it felt. Haha, I want my skin to feel like this allll the time, but that may be asking for too much =P. Marks from past acne are still really visible, didn't think they'd clear up but thought I'd just add that in. Forehead is feeling a bit bumpy, possibly smaller pimples will form there =x. Only a few blackheads are left, maybe around 5. Pretty amazing compared to the 20 I had last week! My arms have been really dry, ordered some jojoba oil from Dan and should be getting it this friday. I hope it helps, because it's bugging me like crazy!

Some things I've bought to help my tane trip:

Aveeno Intense Relief Therapy Lip Balm w/ jojoba oil (LOVE THIS =D)

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizers(both the night time cream and SPF)

Dan's Moisturizer(this has helped me so much! I've pretty much replaced my Aveeno moisturizer at night for his)

Dan's BP(just for spot treatment)

good ol' Vaseline

Dove Moisturizing Beauty Bar(was skeptical, but derm recommended it and it's been working fine)

On the Regimen

Day 45

Argh. I was hoping to go longer without any actives but I have one medium sized and painful one on my right cheek, pretty much the same area where those other big ones were earlier in my tane log.

I know one isn't something to be annoyed about but considering how I've been going for a few weeks without any actives, it kind of irked me. I also had another medium sized and painful one at the end of my eyebrow near the T zone, but that one died down.

Skin still feels really smooth and soft. The area around my mouth is getting drier though, flaking a lot as well. Dan's moisturizer doesn't seem to be cutting it but I think I'll just dab a bit of jojoba on that area. Speaking of jojoba oil, I LOVE THIS STUFF. My arms have become extremely dry, flaky, and these red dots are everywhere on my arms and hands. But when I got my jojoba oil, I just combined it with my body lotion(lubriderm or Vaseline's Cocoa Butter) and it takes care of it. It's looking almost normal now, soft as well!

Well, that's about it, I will update again when there's a significant change in my face or body! Probably will add some pictures to see the difference between day 4 and 45 haha.

On the Regimen