Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naitch

Anyone desperate enough to use sandpaper?

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering has anyone been desperate enough to use sandpaper to wound a scar so it can heal? It doesn't sound farfetched keeping in mind that people here are willing to prick themselves with needles until bloody, and the fact that dermabrasion is slightly different than this "sandpaper" technique. We need a guinea pig! LOL. Thoughts?

*bell rings* The following is a masterlock challenge...! Introducing first, from Los Angeles, California; weighing in at 260 lbs...! The Masterpiece, CHRIS MASTERS!!!

Don't do it! There's no way to sterilize sandpaper sufficiently enough to use it invasively and you'd risk severe infection, not to mention grit caught in the wound itself. Don't give yourself a road rash.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

This isn't exactly what you're suggesting, but it may have caused similar results as your suggestion would:

Back in the day, my acne was so painful I went a bit nuts. I've scrubbed my face with sand paper. This did achieve the immediate goal of replacing the aching-burning-itching pain that was driving me crazy with a more manageable sharp pain, but now I have jagged scars lining my cheeks, neck, and jaw to show for it. In short, I think you might scar yourself more, even if you're not sanding over active acne, like I was.

I once rubbed too hard with a face cloth and it actually improved the scar. I wouldn't suggest doing it though as it probably was a fluke it got better.

Honestly I have thought about it.... but I doubt sandpaper will make anything better.

I feel a force I've never felt before

I don't want to fight it anymore

Feelings so strong can't be ignored

I burst out - I'm transformed

Rising up, shaking it off

The yesterday dreary

Graceful and strong, No more forlorn

Today's a jubilee

Don't be surprised

This change is my design

I can't hold it down I've just got to soar

And laugh in the face that is vulture law

Back in the day, someone did this and posted about it on here. I don't think it went well.

You can make your scars so much worse...

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Do not use sandpaper on your face. I had it done by a doctor and it made my scar worst... I had it done by this guy http://www.coloderm.com/fb/drs.html , he totally ruined my face with sandpaper. It actually left me with a bunch of ice picks because milia grew from the wound. I also got bad pigmentation from the areas that sandpaper on my face. The sandpaper left me with uneven texture on my face, I had the orange peel effect, got rosacea from it and there were jagged scars on my face... So be careful... My scars weren't that bad before, i thought it was bad but the scars I got from the sandpaper were 100x worst then anything I could of imagine...

It's understandable when people feel that using less traditional methods of getting rid of scarring is too drastic. People tend to fear what they haven't tried or heard a few bad reviews about. I for one has had success using the "pricking until you are bloody" method! lol! But if someone in here has said that they've tried sandpaper with horrible results and no one else has ever retaliated their opinion...listen! And listen well....I've never heard of anyone having success with sandpaper. :techsupport:

Creative303 I dont think you're alone. Swineheart seems to be a name that comes up alot on these boards and usually not with very nice things following it.

Yeah I've been tempted. My hope was to turn one face into one big scab.. then when the scab heals, fresh new skin would be revealed *sigh*

Umm... I guess its nice that everyone's managed to put it delicately, but yes you would need to be friggin' crazy to resort to sand papering your face. :P It's just too harsh to really yield any benefit, though I do share in your desperation. Ahhh acne, much fun.

How can you even compare needling with using sandpaper?

Needling is one of the safest, non ablative procedures available.

Do a little research.

I sanded 2 scars 15 months ago with sandpaper,the fine sandpaper u use on metal for sanding cars.I didn't see much improvement but it didn't make the scars worse.

In the early days of dermabrasion they used to use a small sterilized electric sander.

Eeeek! I wouldn't even use sandpaper on my knees! Please don't try this. :(

There are far less abrasive treatments, with less risk, that are still aggressive enough to make an improvement.

AM

- Cetaphil normal/oily cleanser

- wait 10 minutes, 10% mandelic acid

PM

- Cetaphil normal/oily cleanser w/ baby brush

- wait 30 minutes, .025% tretinoin gel

100% aloe vera as moisturizer, only when needed.