Photo

Acne Twin Studies

studies makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 JamesNoble

JamesNoble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

I know a set of identical twins, 100% the same genetic makeup.

One has pretty bad looking skin, while the other has 100% clear skin...

I really can not pin point what is the difference.

Simalarities: They both drink equal amounts of beer.

Differences: Acne twin eats worse diet, smokes, and is generally not as healthy... I think the non acne twin goes to the gym a lot more as well.

I dont think their skin washing regimens can be all that different. Maybe the acne twin washes his face a lot more which can lead to irritation but I am not too sure.

But literally, it is like night and day between the two.

Doctors should focus on twins like this and pinpoint which factors cause acne.

What do you think about cases like this? Shouldn't occurrances like this prove to doctors the link between diet and acne?

#2 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yep thats very common in twins just like you might have one twin who is straight and the other one is gay. Also my friend Sarah, she had identical twin sisters but one is 5'7 and the other is 5'4

#3 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

I think the difference between them is that the one with acne has an overloaded liver (messing up hormones) and the other one's liver is able to cope with it all.

#4 JamesNoble

JamesNoble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

The question is though... how did the liver become that way?

Derm's should study this stuff more regularly rather than pushing stupid creams and accutane.

#5 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

They may be the exception to the rule. Twin studies have found high concordance rates between twins:

Journal of Investigative Dermatology (2002) 119, 1317–1322; doi:10.1046/j.1523-1747.2002.19621.x

The Influence of Genetics and Environmental Factors in the Pathogenesis of Acne: A Twin Study of Acne in Women
V Bataille*,†, H Snieder*, A J MacGregor*,‡, P Sasieni‡ and T D Spector*

*Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, St Thomas' Hospital, London, U.K.
†Georgia Prevention Institute, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, U.S.A.
‡Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Epidemiology, Cancer Research U.K., London, U.K.
Correspondence: Dr Veronique Bataille MD PhD FRCP, Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, St Thomas' Hospital, London SE1 7HT, U.K. Email: vbataille@twin-research.ac.uk

Received 1 February 2002; Revised 26 June 2002; Accepted 8 July 2002.

Abstract
Acne is common and often leads to significant psychologic and physical morbidity. From clinical experience, acne appears to run in families; however, very few studies have investigated the genetic basis of this very common skin disease. A large twin study based on 458 pairs of monozygotic and 1099 pairs of dizygotic twins, all women with a mean age of 46 y was performed to investigate the relative contribution of genetic and environmental factors on the liability to acne. In addition, potential risk factors were assessed in twins with and without acne in a nested cross-sectional design. Fourteen percent of the twins reported a history of acne. Genetic modeling using acne scores showed that 81% (95% confidence interval 73–87%) of the variance of the disease was attributable to additive genetic effects. The remaining 19% was attributed to unique (i.e., unshared) environmental factors. Of the potential risk factors tested in 400 acne twins and 2414 unaffected twins, only apolipoprotein A1 serum levels were significantly lower in acne twins even after adjusting for age and weight. Family history of acne was also significantly associated with an increased risk. No significant differences were found between acne twins and nonacne twins for weight, body mass index, height, birth weight, hair thinning, reproductive factors as well as cholesterol, triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein, and glucose levels. The lower serum levels of apolipoprotein A1 in acne twins were also confirmed when analyzing acne discordant twin pairs. The evidence of a major genetic influence on acne should stimulate the search for potential genes that may lead to new therapeutic approaches.

Another article:

The chances of your children having acne are higher because one of their parents has acne. A couple of studies have been done that show that acne, like lots of other traits, tends to run in families.

In one study, it was found that many school-age boys with acne have a family history of acne. Does this mean it runs in the family? Not necessarily.

Let’s use an example to show how someone might be fooled by this finding. Imagine there is a family that lives near a toxic waste dump. The whole family has high rates of cancer.

Is it because of their genes? Probably not. The cancer is probably the toxic waste dump’s fault, not the family’s genes.

To try to figure out what role the environment plays, scientists often do a twin study. In a twin study, identical twins are compared to fraternal twins. If something happens more often in identical twins, then that something probably runs in the family.

How does a twin study show something runs in a family? Remember, identical twins have exactly the same genes. Fraternal twins share only as many genes as any brother or sister.

Because twins are born at the same time, the environment is as same as possible for them. So if something happens more often in identical than in fraternal twins, then it is most likely because they share the same genes.

A twin study was done in 1995 that showed that identical twins were more likely to both have acne than fraternal twins. So, there are probably one or more genes involved in increasing your chances for acne.

Even though scientists don’t yet know what these genes are, it is clear from this study that acne runs in families. We’ll have to wait for more studies to be able to predict how likely it is that your kids will get acne and what specific genes are involved.

#6 Hello!

Hello!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

My twin has perfect skin. Me, not so much. But I'm taller! Haha. eusa_dance.gif

#7 JamesNoble

JamesNoble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Hello! @ Mar 29 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My twin has perfect skin. Me, not so much. But I'm taller! Haha. eusa_dance.gif

Here's another example.

Why don't you follow your twin's exact diet and wash your face like they do?

See what happens.

#8 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (willow569 @ Mar 29 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A twin study was done in 1995 that showed that identical twins were more likely to both have acne than fraternal twins. So, there are probably one or more genes involved in increasing your chances for acne.

Thanks for those studies, thats interesting

Some people suggest that acne sufferers have oversensitive hormone receptors in the skin, but its hard to tell..

What it could be also is that acne sufferers have a liver that focuses on eliminating toxins, but doesnt eliminate all the used hormones, so those end up in your skin