Photo

"Black Soap"!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#21 always&forever

always&forever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (ceci2468 @ Jan 17 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (always&forever @ Jan 14 2010, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ceci2468 @ Jan 13 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (always&forever @ Jan 9 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the african black soap supposed to make your acne purge during the first couple days? Is this normal?

I've never had any purging from it. But then, all African black soap is not the same.

I'm using the one from Coasta Scents. I had moderate acne, but it purged and now I look like I have severe acne. But it's slowly going away.. I hope it does sad.gif

My sister said the reason why I'm purging is because I'm using the MAC liquid foundations which is comodogenic. She's been using it African Black Soap for over a year and her skin is gorgeous! And she uses mineral makeup instead of MAC. She used to have acne too but now her skin is absolutely clear.. so jealous of her!

I've never used the one from Coastal Scents. I believe theirs contains lime (some say it burns). I use the one from Agbangakarite and it has no lime. Is your sister using the same brand of black soap as you? Perhaps you should stop using the black soap if your skin doesn't agree with it. Then again, if your skin is getting better and you are still using it, perhaps it is your make up.

My sister and I use the same brand of black soap from Coastal Scents. It's been 10 days now and my acne is starting to clear up. It's drying out my pimples and making my skin a lot smoother. I'm happy now smile.gif so I hope it clears up my skin and keeps it that way!

As for the makeup, she said that MAC clogs up the pores. And the reason why I was purging was because the soap was pushing out all the dirt from my make-up. I'm still using MAC cause I have no other make-up and I really don't want to go out with all my acne showing :/ so maybe that's why it's taking so long for my skin to fully clear up. I'll try to purchase mineral makeup soon and see the difference.

I'm so glad I'm sharing this with you guys! I felt so alone before but now I'm happy that someone is somewhat actually listening to me. I'll keep you guys updated just incase some people are wondering if the black soap is actually working or not. Thanks everyone! <3

#22 bathory313

bathory313

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I bought a bar of Nubian Heritage African Black Soap..........woweee! It dried out my super-oily face, and I'm happy! My skin is not overly dry; simply "normal" now. My acne is clearing, also--I've been using it about a week.

Could the answer really be this simple (and cheap)? I've been spending hundreds of dollars with MB.

I also see an improvement in the dreaded butt acne..........hey, it's been over 100 degrees and 100% humidity here every day for two weeks! I do hope this continues to perform as it has. It's like a little miracle bar. eusa_dance.gif eusa_dance.gif eusa_dance.gif

PS--Nubian Heritage uses only certified natural and organic ingredients. I see they have a liquid body soap--next on the purchasing list! Just Google 'Nubian Heritage' to find their great soap.

Edited by bathory313, 10 July 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#23 karamia

karamia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Another awesome site to get black soap and shea butter is *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules.*. I absolutely love this place because of the high quality and fair trade practices the company promotes. You can get the black soap in liquid and bar form here. Their prices are amazing considering the purity of the ingredients. Highly recommended!

#24 love_1908

love_1908

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

I just ordered a new line of facial care products including raw black soap, detoxifying scrub/mask, purifying toner, and soy renewal moisturizer. Up until now, I've tried EVERYTHING from store bought stuff like Ambi to tv stuff like Proactive. I'm really excited about trying organic products... hope it works! The website I ordered from is owned by my sorority sister, *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules.*. I've heard wonderful things about her line!

#25 lareznar

lareznar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

organic is the way to go if you have acne, if you use things with harsh acids and chemicals you are asking for more acne! So this stuff is good, probably a good idea to use a natural or organic moisturizer too.

#26 LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (love_1908 @ Jul 15 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ordered a new line of facial care products including raw black soap, detoxifying scrub/mask, purifying toner, and soy renewal moisturizer. Up until now, I've tried EVERYTHING from store bought stuff like Ambi to tv stuff like Proactive. I'm really excited about trying organic products... hope it works! The website I ordered from is owned by my sorority sister, *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules.*. I've heard wonderful things about her line!

Like yourself, I've tried many OTC products, including ProActiv 3 times. Currently, I've been using Max Clarity since July 10th. I'm still on the fence about its effectiveness. I mean, it's definitely decreased the amount of oil on my face, but I still breakout often - maybe I'm just purging. I'll finish my 60-day trial & see what happens.

I've always wondered about Black Soap & natural products for acne-prone/oily skin. I visited the website u mentioned & I'm seriously considering ordering the facial skin care line of products. Please (if u don't mind) keep my posted on your progress with these natural products. I'd really appreciate it! smile.gif Good luck w/ the products - hope they work 4 u.

#27 LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (love_1908 @ Jul 15 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 last thing - can u suggest a good powder, mineral foundation for acne-prone/oily skin? Your suggestions r welcomed! smile.gif Thanks in advance.

#28 freebird91

freebird91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

I've been using African Black Soap from Coastal Scents for about three weeks (I began to use it a little before I began the regimen), and so far I'm thrilled with it. I can't judge its effectiveness if used alone as I've only really used it with the other products in my regimen (BP and Cetaphil moisturizer) but in conjunction it's been working great. My skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. I found that the first time I used it I felt a little stinging on my lip and when it was under my nose it kind of burnt a little for some reason but after the first day that stopped and now I haven't had a problem since, using it 2 times per day. Also my skin is fairly sensitive and prone to dryness and aside from the first few days of the regimen with BP, I haven't had much problem with flakiness or dryness. It has worked great for me and didn't cause any significant initial breakout. I have heard that if the soap is pure black and smooth then that means it has extra ingredients and is not as authentic; the kind I got from Coastal Scents is a big brown lump with a fairly rough, almost crumbly, texture. When you pull a little piece off and get it wet it gets darker and smoother as you mold it. It lathers great by the way and smells good to me, very natural. I love the stuff wub.gif

Oh and as far as mineral makeup, I suggest Everyday Minerals. It has very few ingredients and has never given me any problems. It gives good coverage as well. I love that too smile.gif Good luck!

Peace wink.gif

#29 LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (freebird91 @ Jul 25 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been using African Black Soap from Coastal Scents for about three weeks (I began to use it a little before I began the regimen), and so far I'm thrilled with it. I can't judge its effectiveness if used alone as I've only really used it with the other products in my regimen (BP and Cetaphil moisturizer) but in conjunction it's been working great. My skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. I found that the first time I used it I felt a little stinging on my lip and when it was under my nose it kind of burnt a little for some reason but after the first day that stopped and now I haven't had a problem since, using it 2 times per day. Also my skin is fairly sensitive and prone to dryness and aside from the first few days of the regimen with BP, I haven't had much problem with flakiness or dryness. It has worked great for me and didn't cause any significant initial breakout. I have heard that if the soap is pure black and smooth then that means it has extra ingredients and is not as authentic; the kind I got from Coastal Scents is a big brown lump with a fairly rough, almost crumbly, texture. When you pull a little piece off and get it wet it gets darker and smoother as you mold it. It lathers great by the way and smells good to me, very natural. I love the stuff wub.gif

Oh and as far as mineral makeup, I suggest Everyday Minerals. It has very few ingredients and has never given me any problems. It gives good coverage as well. I love that too smile.gif Good luck!

Peace wink.gif

Ok, so I've been using Raw Black Soap & a natural toner for almost a month now. I feel like I've gone from moderate acne to more severe acne. I'm not sure if I'm purging or not, but I hate it!! Although I don't get the large, painful cystic-like acne, I've been breaking out all over instead of just around my mouth! I feel like crying when I look at myself in the mirror. sad.gif I really hate my skin!! Nothing seems to work consistently!! I'm thinking about going back to ProActiv since they have changed their formula. Or maybe even Mary Kay....IDK. The oil was initially starting to decrease, but now I feel oily again. OMG!!! I just don't know what to do & I'm beginning to lose hope of ever having clear skin sad.gif

Oh, I did order the Everyday Mineral products & at least I can say that I do like them....but they just hide some of the acne. It doesn't cure it....unfortunately.

Edited by LuvlyL80, 26 August 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#30 vodkapoptart

vodkapoptart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I use black soap in a liquid form from shea terra organics. I did use the one from Coastal Scents, but I didn't like it. The shea terra one is amazing though. Along with switching my skincare routine to natural/organic I also changed my diet and my skin is the clearest it's been in years. I have one active pimple.

#31 LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

LuvlyL80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (krazy4korn @ Aug 26 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use black soap in a liquid form from shea terra organics. I did use the one from Coastal Scents, but I didn't like it. The shea terra one is amazing though. Along with switching my skincare routine to natural/organic I also changed my diet and my skin is the clearest it's been in years. I have one active pimple.

Do you use anything else in addition to the liquid soap? How long have you been using it & what was the "severity" of your acne? I have had moderate acne for many years, with occasional large, painful cycsts around my mouth area. My skin is also EXTREMELY OILY. I'm just really frustrated, b/c nothing seems to work for me sad.gif

#32 MoussakaChaos

MoussakaChaos

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'm using Nubian Heritage African Black Soap. I just used it for the third time a little while ago. I love it so far. I have no acne right now. I cleared everything up with a healthy diet and vitamins, and this soap is like the finishing touch.

#33 AFroMan321

AFroMan321

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hi! everyone
I love to use all natural product for my skin and hair. and if the smell of the soap is the problem at this web site *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules.* you have over 50 scents you can chose from. They have all natural soap, lotion, and hair care product. eusa_whistle.gif

#34 Trying2Clear

Trying2Clear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi all

I have read all your feed back and I think I'm going to try the original black soap with the raw shea butter. Just before I do make any orders I wanna know a few things.

1. How long does it take before you see a change?
2. Do you have to use other skin care products besides the soap and butter?
3. Can this also help mild acne on your back?

Also if there is any other pointers you can give me I will greatly appreciate it , thank you in advance.

#35 whateva

whateva

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

I used the African Black Soap from Soapourri for like 10 years or so - I'm an adult acne sufferer. I also used Cetaphil moisturizer. It really kept it under control. I decided to give it up since I'm 50 and my skin is naturally more dry now.

#36 EmpressB

EmpressB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

I have suffered with acne for over ten years now and let me tell you I have tried just about everything, medicinal and non-medicinal. The only thing that ever even remotely improved my acne was the birth control pill but I have had to go off it. My skin is extremely oily and I have 3 or more new pimples everyday. I'm so tired of having bad skin and feeling self conscious about the way it looks. I recently ran into an old friend of mine from college. Back then she had worse acne than me but now her skin in clear and amazing. She told me about this black soap and swears by it. She is from Africa so her mother sends it to her. I just wanted to see if anyone else had had any luck with it. Thanks for sharing. I am going to try it out and will let you know what happens.

#37 Zuul

Zuul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

I started using African Black Soap as a cleanser and Jojoba Oil & Unrefined Shea Butter as a moisturizer about 2 weeks ago and in the past 3 days my skin has gotten so bad it's ridiculous. I'm hoping my skin is just purging and the natural things I'm using will help get rid of my acne.

I went from having like 10 pimples to around 40 and they're bigger than usual and really painful.

I've been using the african black soap as a body wash as well and my back acne and my back acne scars have cleared up A LOT! So I hope the same will happen with my face.

I got the African Black Soap, Unrefined Shea Butter, and Jojoba Oil all from Coastal Scents.

Edit: Last week I started using lemon juice all over my face before bed and left it on overnight so I don't know if maybe that caused this terrible acne I have right now or if my skin is just purging from the natural stuff.

Edited by kenneth alan, 10 January 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#38 icefairy88

icefairy88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

My mom got me this soap. It was pretty good, it didnt really break me out, but it didnt really clear me either. I used it for about a month or so. Maybe if i used it longer, it would have worked..i dont really know. The soap was a volcanic ash.

#39 JustBeingMe404

JustBeingMe404

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

I posted this as a new topic elsewhere, but I see there's a whole group of you who are trying/have tried the natural way, so I'm copying/pasting here.

------------------------------------------

Post #1 dated 3/30/11
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for years, and this is the first time I got the courage (and had a reason) to post.

I'm in my mid-30s, Black American woman, and I've had moderate to severe acne since puberty, and extremely oily skin. In my teens, it was just pimples on my forehead. As I grew older, they spread down to my cheeks, chin and pretty much wherever else they felt like showing up. I'm not very articulate in the different types of pimples, but I've had them all - from the big, white ones that can be popped, to the big, red ones that can't be popped, to the small, white ones, occasional blackheads, and occasional weird ones that turn hard... they all leave scarring (hyperpigmentation) and rob me of my self-esteem. These suckers have NO respect. They don't care if you have a big event. They will show up on the tip of your nose, center of your chin, cheekbone, middle of your forehead... they just don't care!

I've seen a dermatologist and taken Retin-A and Differin. I've also tried Proactiv, a gazillion OTC products, and for years, I've used the Neutrogena line of products (oil free acne wash, alcohol free toner, oil free moisturizer, Rapid Treatment, On the Spot BP). I have lots of dark spots from old pimples and I get new ones daily. They almost always get embarrassingly large and/or red or pus-filled before they'll shrink and die.

As I entered my 30s, I began to place more of an emphasis on my health in general. I don't eat very well, and until recently, I never drank water or ate vegetables. I hate them both, and saw no reason to force myself to consume something I didn't like. I was about to try a new regimen when something hit me. The one thing I never tried was the natural way. So, I went downtown to some shops, bought some natural stuff, went online and ordered some stuff I couldn't find in stores, came home and took about 10 "Before" pics, and I'm about to start on this:

Wash - Dudu Osun African Black Soap
Toner - Witch Hazel
Moisturizer - 100% Raw Unrefined Shea Butter
Internal - 60 oz. water daily, at least one green vegetable daily, and Herpanacine supplements

I'm starting today, and I'm going to give it 3 months (hopefully, I'll see some sort of change a lot sooner than that). I spent a lot of time today researching these products and saw that a lot of Black women have had success with this regimen, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm getting rid of all my Neutrogena products and everything that has chemicals in it, and I'm starting from scratch. Whew... this is gonna be rough!

Wish me luck! I'll be sure to upload some before/after pics.

#40 JustBeingMe404

JustBeingMe404

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

Post #2 - posted today 3/31/11

----------------------------------------------------------
Next Day Update:

So I used the Black Soap, Witch Hazel and Shea Butter last night and again this morning. I LOVVVVE the way the black soap makes my skin feel, and I love how easily it lathers. It feels great going on and it leaves my skin feeling great after I've rinsed it off. It rinses off easily, too.

I hate witch hazel. I had forgotten how badly that stuff smells, and it's not easily absorbed into the skin (or maybe I just need to use less than I would with my regular astringent). But I'm determined to try the natural thing, so I'm going to stick with it.

The shea butter... *sigh* the jury is still out on the shea butter. I was really reluctant to try it since I have extremely oily skin, but I did a lot of research on it, and it's non-comedogenic, so it doesn't clog pores or anything. It'll take some getting used to. I'm accustomed to wearing my Neutrogena Rapid Clear during the daytime and Oil-Free Moisturizer at night. This stuff is so much heavier than anything I've ever worn on my face. It feels kinda sticky like Vaseline. But I read in someone's review that they suggest wiping it off after a few minutes, once it's absorbed into the skin. I did that today. I can still feel it on my face, but it's not as heavy. One positive I've noticed is that for the first time ever, my face has a matte appearance and not my usual heavy shine. Ordinarily, by 11:00a, I'm extremely oily and shiny... right now, there's a glow (for lack of a better word), but definitely not a shine. That was a surprise bonus.

I did some more research trying to find all-natural facial masks. I saw quite a few promising homemade masks. I'm going to try a combination of an aspirin and milk of magnesia mask, which I will make at home. I probably won't try that until the weekend.

All in all, I feel pretty good, but of course, it's only day 2.

I'll give another update in about a week, or maybe after the mask.