Photo

How to tell if you're cool or warm toned?

makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I was reading a magazine and it had a "how to tell if you're cool or warm tone" section. I have reddish hair and green eyes, so I always assumed I was warm toned, but based on this test, I am cool. surprised.gif

I asked a beauty-know-it-all friend of mine, and she said I was cool. I've been wearing the wrong makeup my whole life! eusa_wall.gif

So I have two questions. First, how do YOU tell if you're cool or warm? Second, how do I go about selecting makeup for a fair/cool skin tone?

My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

#2 iLlievee

iLlievee

:)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi, i hope this website helps u. It says to "look at the underside of your arm. If your veins appear bluish you are cool toned, if they appear greenish you are warm toned". It also shows colors the different tones suit...

http://www.mineral-m...-Skin-Tone.html

On Dan's Regimen. Never been better!

#3 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (iLlievee @ Mar 27 2008, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, i hope this website helps u. It says to "look at the underside of your arm. If your veins appear bluish you are cool toned, if they appear greenish you are warm toned". It also shows colors the different tones suit...

Son of a gun, I *am* cool. How about that? Thanks for the link!
My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

#4 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

I dunno, I still think I must be warm or at least neutral, with green eyes and reddish hair. Time to visit the Clinique or MAC counter for some expert advice!

#5 PLONKER

PLONKER

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

surely 'warm' toned is olive skin? I would have thought you would be cool being a redhead.

#6 junebug1991

junebug1991

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (iLlievee @ Mar 27 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About your morning regimen, my (old-er) friend told me that I should drink a glass of water when I wake up but before getting out of bed, is this what you do? It's supposed to detoxify...
<3 :) <3

#7 lu lu belle

lu lu belle

from my fear i try to hide...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

here's my take on the whole vein thing...... i'm warm, but the veins on my wrist appear blue (the deeper ones are a bit more green tinted.) the veins at my elbows though are definitely green though. hope that helps!

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (lu lu belle @ Mar 27 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here's my take on the whole vein thing...... i'm warm, but the veins on my wrist appear blue (the deeper ones are a bit more green tinted.) the veins at my elbows though are definitely green though. hope that helps!

Yeah, if I look at the vein in the center where there is the least pigment, it's definately blue. But if i look at the other veins away from the center where there is more pigment, they are greenish. Teal maybe.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#9 shibbyyy

shibbyyy

shibbyyyWRX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

the vein thing is tricky, even to me and im a makeup artist..you cant really go by that

my teacher in makeup school went around the room and held up a silver piece of cloth and a gold piece of cloth near each individuals face and deciphered whether we were cool or warm, i was the only neutral person in the room and i have olive skin so go figure

easy way to tell....if you look good in silver jewlery, your cool...if you look better in gold, your warm

also experiment...wear a baby blue shadow and if you can rock it your cool

try a gold and if you can pull that off your warm

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (shibbyyy @ Mar 27 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
easy way to tell....if you look good in silver jewlery, your cool...if you look better in gold, your warm

Well, I am cool to neutral, look best in cool colors, but can absolutely not wear baby blue shadow. That looks hideous on me, in the words of a best friend.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#11 Sarah0926

Sarah0926

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

I feel like I'm more neutral..baa...I've never really been able to figure this out. I think browns and warm colors look pretty good on me..but than again...I think cooler colors look ok too. My veins are kind of a bluish green. haha. I have dark brown hair with hazel eyes. I have both silver and gold jewelery..and people say they both look fine. When it comes to clothes..I just think bold colors look best. Red, Hot pink, Brown, Black, Bright Blue..as opposed to pastels. I'm confused.
Wash gently with Purpose Cleaner(am and pm)
Apply Hibicleans with a cotton ball, than wash off(pm)
Small amount of BP in trouble places(am and pm)
Cetaphil moisturizer(am)
Spot treating with Neutrogena Face Lotion with AHA(am and pm)

99% clear with this regimen!! Now I just have to work on my red marks and oiliness

#12 NessaVenasaur

NessaVenasaur

Derp.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (shibbyyy @ Mar 27 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the vein thing is tricky, even to me and im a makeup artist..you cant really go by that

my teacher in makeup school went around the room and held up a silver piece of cloth and a gold piece of cloth near each individuals face and deciphered whether we were cool or warm, i was the only neutral person in the room and i have olive skin so go figure

I remember addressing this topic a couple of months ago or so and people got...kind of defensive about the gold/silver thing confused.gif . I, too, think this is a good starting point though. The silver cloth made me look sickly. So, gold looks better on me and, just for the record, I'm 99% percent sure I have olive skin even though I'm pale as frick! The vein thing doesn't seem very reliable, personally. Mine look blue but I know for a fact that even if I'm not an olive skintone, I definitely am within the warm tones. I think the best way to tell is by knowing what colors look best on you. I get a lot of "that color looks so nice on you!" when I wear burnt oranges and earthy greens which are warm colors.
Regimen as of Spring '11

AM:
-Paula's Choice - BHA 2% gel
-Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer w/SPF 15

PM:
-Cleanser: Olive oil to remove makeup. Purpose facial cleanser. Experimenting with Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (original)
-DKR AHA
-DKR BP

Cosmetics:
-Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation
-Meow Cosmetics foundation powder

#13 lu lu belle

lu lu belle

from my fear i try to hide...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

i like the gold/silver idea too. the vein thing always threw me off. anyway, i totally agree with going by what colors look best on you. that's how i figured it out. i found that more earthy, warm tones complimented my skin tone much better than cooler ones.