Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Zinc, Saw Palmetto, and Fish Oil Journey

14 posts in this topic

I recently got Spring Valley Fish, Flaxseed, and Borage Oil combo bottle with 120 softgels. I also got Saw Palmetto and Zinc and I am wondering the best way to take them...

Zinc = 50 mg per capsule Zinc Gluconate

Saw Palmetto = 160 mg per softgel

Super Omega Blend 1200 mg

----------------------------------

Fish Oil, Safflower Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Borage seed oil...

Omega 3 375 mg

--------------------

EPA 180 mg

DHA 120 mg

ALA 75 mg

Omega 6 Fatty Acids 187 mg

---------------------------------

CLA 140 mg

GLA 11 mg

LA 36 mg

Omega 9 Fatty Acids 43 mg

--------------------------------

OA 43 mg

Also these...

Vitamin A 8000 IU (Sardine)

Vitamin E (400 IU) Dl tocopherol

Andrew's Current Diabolical Face Reality Regimen...

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) BP gel 5% (Vaseline on Friday)

PS I am selling my SciArt bulb and it is rated at 16,991/17,000 hours for 105$. Contact me if you're interested!

Fish oil - I recommend taking as much as 4.5 grams of omega-3, which would equal 15 softgels. This is why it's best to buy fish oil in bulk (400 capsules at a time, say). You can take fish oil any time you want, but it's best to take it with a high-fat meal.

Zinc - 50 milligrams seems a standard dose, but some people take up to 100 mg. I take 25 milligrams, however I dissolve the zinc caplet before I take it, so I'm guessing that I'm absorbing about 3x more zinc than if I were to just take a 50 mg dose.

Saw palmetto - take 2-4 of those softgels every day.

Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

Wow, I SOOO don't have enough to do that! Damn! I only have 118 softgels left! This is the Omega 3, 6, and 9 capsule...So you recommend JUST omega 3? I wonder if I could take these back or something? Although I didn't see any bulk ones...Additionally; what do you think of the vitamin A and E?

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

PS I am selling my SciArt bulb and it is rated at 16,991/17,000 hours for 105$. Contact me if you're interested!

The E would be good to take whenever you have your largest or only fish oil dose of the day to keep it from oxidizing.

Regimen

No Soap/cleansers

Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:

-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

The E would be good to take whenever you have your largest or only fish oil dose of the day to keep it from oxidizing.

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

How long did it take you guys to see results? This morning my skin seemed a bit better toned and looked more hydrated.

Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

Yeah this is pretty sweet. So theoretically I am lowering the testosterone/DHT thing with Saw Palmetto, decreasing sebum with fish oil and making it less sticky, helping normalize keratin with Vitamin A, enhancing healing ability with vitamin E, and I'm not too sure how zinc helps but yeah. My diet is mostly proteins, vegetables, and fruits. I cut down on citrus, peanut, milk (haven't drunk milk in almost a month), and bread. I wonder if I should add any other supplements to my reperoitre.

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

I would NOT mess with saw palmetto. When you mess with already unbalanced hormones, you're asking for trouble. I suffered horrendously with it :(.

But the fish oil/zinc is great. Add in lots of olive oil, vit A, E, C, B and you're good to go.

Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

I take 3g of Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega fish oil a day (more EPA & DHA than most), 1g Borage Oil, and 400 iu DRY Vitamin E (Borage and E both with dinner, fish oil throughout the day).

I've found DRY vitamin E is much more effective.

Morning - As of 5/15/08

Primal Defense probiotics - 2 pills upon waking

Wash face w/ Carly's Clear and Smooth

Breakfast

Organic EVOO - 2 tbs

Green smoothie w/ added protein, fruit, wheat grass, 2 tbs ACV, MSM, turmeric

Vitamin C - 1000 mg

Vitamin B Complex

Dry Vitamin E - 400 iu

Calcium - 600 mg

Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil - 1 tsp

Dinner

Organic EVOO - 1 tbs

Chromium Picolinate - 200 mcg

Borage Oil - 1000 mg with high amount of GLA

Twin Lab Arctic Cod Liver Oil - 1 tsp

Night

ZMA - 3 tabs

Wash face w/ water. Tone: ACV/water. Moistourize: aloe vera w/ niacinamide

AVOID: Hydrogenated vegetable oils, red meat, dairy, sugar, bad carbs.

Sleep well & exercise! 90-95% clear. Die Acne. Just Die.

Hey guys, I got some new supplements and I need some input about how much to take again...

I got a 400 count of Omega 3 Fish oil (without 6 and 9) at 1000 mg a gelcap and L-Lysine 500 mg, as well as B-complex (60 tabs) of the following amounts...

B1 50mg

B2 50mg

B3 50mg

B6 50mg

Folate 400mcg

B12 50mcg

Biotin 50mcg

Pantothenic Acid 50mg

How much do you guys recommend for these new supplements? Do I absolutely have to have 6 and 9 for Omega?

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

Anyone know the proper amounts for those? Do you guys split up the dosage 1/2 morning and evening?

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

So taking a lot of fish oil capsules is not harmful? :rolleyes: I usually take like 6 a day.

Had acne since 12 yrs old- first it was minor, moderate, and then it developed into severe cystic acne. I got rid of it two years ago with two rounds of Accutane...after I have tried EVERYTHING. Still have sensitive skin, some scarring and spots that I manage with different skincare routine. Here to share my experience with others. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Hmm, my mom said it was thinning to the blood but honestly I could care less.

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

So taking a lot of fish oil capsules is not harmful? :rolleyes: I usually take like 6 a day.