Photo

Going off Diane 35 (birth control)?

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 kiwi_kazoo

kiwi_kazoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (hopefuloz @ Dec 31 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is hormonal and have searched desperately for a solution. I have been recommended to take agnus castus to regulate my hormones. I have only been using it for a few weeks so hopefully it will help.

i am using vitex (agnus castus) too. been taking it for just over 6 months now and i am happy with the results i have had. i noticed that i got better results when i changed brands and to a higher dosage. so for the last 3 months i have been taking a 1000mg capsule once a day.

#42 MB04

MB04

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hello everyone,

Been reading all your stories and mine is pretty much all of yours! I posted this also in the other thread about bc pills.

I am 36 now and have been on the Diane 35 for 18 Years!!!

I started the Diane 35 pill when I was 17 because of bad acne on my face. The acne cleared up within about 3 months. Since then my skin has always been really good, maybe a pimple now and then but nothing to worry about. I tried stopping the pill 2 times for a period of 4 to 6 months when I was about 28 and 32 but acne came back within 2 months so I quickly got back on the Diane 35 again.

Mid June 2009 I really wanted to stop the pill again. I felt that maybe it was the pill that had been making me so extremely tired since about the age of 18 or 19 yrs old. I have a Thyroid problem (overactive) since 6 years so thought that this was the only reason making me so extremely tired (up to the point of it being difficult having a full time job). When I thought back of my past I realized that I just became even more tired since my thyroid problem but that I had been always been extremely tired since I was about 18 or so which is just after I stared the pill in reality.

So I stopped the pill Mid June 2009 to try out if it would give me more energy as it had been 18 years since I was on the same pill!
Nothing happened for the first 2 months, no change in weight, no skin changes, no mood changes, nothing, only my hair became greasy a lot quicker then before!
Then in August 09 (so 2 months after I stopped) I started getting very small spots on my chest and on my back. in Oct 09 (about 3.5 months after I stopped) I started getting so much more energy, I hadn't felt this kind of energy since long long time. But also the spots became worse and I also started getting them in my neck. End Oct (4.5 months after) I got acne back in my face. I was terrified and starting taking Bardane tablets (to clean the blood) but nothing helped. Finally the acne got bad enough for me and my hair was so greasy all the time that I had to wash it every day so I went back on the Diane 35 pill beginning Dec 09 after having stopped for 5.5 months).

I went back on the pill 6 weeks ago. The acne is still there and I am a lot more moody and get irritated so much quicker + I became very tired again about 1 1/2 week after I started the Diane 35 again. It is not normal that the pill influences a woman's body so much so I have decided, I really don't want this pill anymore, too much crap going into my body changing my moods and making me extremely tired, that can't be good!!! I have now read lots about acne and possible treatments and first of all how acne starts so I have taken my last pill last week.

Since last week I have been taking:
- Niacinamide (vit B3) tablets (550mg) as I read in another threat on this forum (you can find it under; adult acne, threat; "cured my acne at 39, No sh**t") that this really really works against acne. I take one a day after dinner.
- 1 or 2 zinc tablet a day (zinc helps reduce the production of sebum in the oil glands).
- 1 B-complex vitamine (B vitamines are good for skin)
- 1 Omega 3, 6, 9 tablet
- Argile mask 2 times a week (reduces excess sebum but this mask can only be done 2 a wk)
They also advise to take evening primrose oil (in tablet form) as this stops the overproduction of oil and will apparently balance hormones. I am not taking this yet.
I also just read that Argan oil is really good for acne skin; doesn't clog the pores, makes skincells stronger (which is important to fight acne), reduces excess oil production, fights free radicals, and fights bacterias and will make your skin beautiful, shining and healthy. So I will probably be buying this also.

I will also do an intestin cleaning and a liver and gal cleaning as this is very important for a healthy body. I have not done a liver cleaning before but it's apparently the best thing you can do for your body so that you get rid of all toxins and gal- and liver-stones. I will do that in 2 weeks to clean out toxins from the pill etc.
I have signed up at the sportschool today and they have a sauna so will def be using that a lot to get good skin..

I have found the below internetsite with a lot of very interesting information on it. This site explains which product could be used to prevent the different stages of acne (clogged pores, excess oil production, fighting bacteria so infection etc).

So far I am okay and acne has not gotten worse, just slightly better. I've only been off it since a week (have period now) but still had acne from my previous trial of stopping. (6 weeks back on the pill didn't cure the acne).

Just to answer some questions about excess hair growing: I definitely noticed a difference when I went on the Diane 35 18 years ago. Hair on my legs became a lot less and mustache became less visible also. 3 months ago when I had stopped since a few months I noticed my mustache became a little more visible again but I can always do a laser for that.

Will keep you girls posted on any developments.
MB

Edited by MB04, 18 January 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#43 Tneale

Tneale

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

My god I have just been reading all these post and its scary. Im 29 been on Diane since I was 17. I dont have bad acne just constant spots - whiteheads and a lot of red scaring from these spots and redness in general that never goes away. I have ultra senstive skin so Im limited in what I can use topicall and am currently taking antibiotics, Steiva A topically, Diane and have started taking fish oil, multi-vitamins and Ill start taking zinc soon as well to help.

Im dying to get off the medications as Ive been on antibiotics for a year and a half and Diane forever and I know that I will never be rid of my spots if I do (tho I never have ever been 100% clear since my teens and I absolutley hate it).

What I would like is for the derms and drs to help us out a bit more - my derm just keeps giving me repeats of the antibiotics with little to no instructions and it wasnt until I moved to the UK that I found out how bad Diane is for you if you take it long term. Im from Australia and the drs over there just keep prescribing both for me (the UK drs do as well but at least they warned me of the Diane before).

Surely someone out there knows better than to keep prescribing us all these medications - why dont the dr and derms actually do personalised treatments for their patients - find out the cause of the acne then treat it?

I dont understand - with the technology we have today I still have (and my derm still has) no idea why my skin is the way it is.

It would be lovely to get some professional advice...I just have no idea where to find it....

biggrin.gif

#44 crazy_angel786

crazy_angel786

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have a question for everyone on here, if you are older as in out of your teens so like 20-30 do you still break out a lot after you come off the pill? I always thought that happend to teenagers since they still ahve the hormones that cause the acne in the first place.

I have a question for everyone on here, if you are older as in out of your teens so like 20-30 do you still break out a lot after you come off the pill? I always thought that happend to teenagers since they still ahve the hormones that cause the acne in the first place.

#45 Miya

Miya

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

All of you ladies who are above 35 should definitely STOP birth control immediately. It's in the package insert that you shouldn't be on birth control if you're over 35 bc the risk outweight the benefits. it increases your risk of getting a thromboembolism as well as other cardiovascular disease such as hypertention, myocardial infarction, etc.

#46 creme brulee

creme brulee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

This thread is both depressing and interesting at the same time.

I was on Diane 35 for about 10 years until my gynaecologist decided to put me on a lower dosage pill about 6 months ago. I was a bit hesitant to change, but she insisted that Diane 35 was a very strong pill and that I probably didn't need it anymore.

My skin was fine once I stopped taking Diane 35. But after 6 months, my face suddenly broke out. I first got a few large cysts which shocked me because it had been so long since I had even had a tiny, unnoticeable pimple. And then my forehead broke out in little pimples everywhere, with a few large cysts thrown in for good measure. I totally panicked, not sure why I was suddenly breaking out. I suspected that going off Diane 35 was a factor, but my skin had been fine for 6 months, which is a fairly long time, in my opinion.

I went to the dermatologist as soon as I could, who obviously couldn't pinpoint the cause of the "acne" as he called it. But he promptly put me back on Diane 35, and also prescribed Duac in the evening and Skinoren during the day. I saw results within less than a week, and after 2 weeks, most of the major pimples had vanished.

However, I was left with tiny bumps all over my forehead. So I went back to the dermatologist, who prescribed Differin for the evening and Duac during the day. It has only been a week, and my forehead has cleared somewhat. It was red and inflammed for a few days, but the redness has subsided. I only hope that everything will clear within the next few weeks. As it is fairly light acne which I have now, the dermatologist thought I should see good results within a month. Fingers crossed!

As for the Diane 35, I'm not sure how long it will take before I will see the results, but I guess it would be hard to tell if I am using it in combination with all of these creams. I am currently in my second month.

Undoubtedly, this experience has made me wary of going off Diane 35 in the future. Interestingly, my gynaecologist was not happy that my dermatologist put me back on Diane 35. She said that she never prescribes Diane 35 anymore and that, if she had to prescribe a high dosage pill, she now gives Yasmine.

#47 cersei

cersei

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

To the previous poster, 6 months is about the length of time it takes for all the BC hormones to fully leave your body. I came off Dianette about 6 months ago, and my skin - in the space of about 2 weeks - became just terrible. So I think I'm going to start back on it today. Of course, I have issues now in that where I'm currently living, you can't get dianette. Or accutane. Spiro is at least legal, so I'm looking into finding a derm who will prescribe it to me (not been easy so far).

My skin isn't as bad as it once was (thanks to doing a course of accutane about 3 years ago I think) but it's still pretty appalling around my jaw, and certainly not concealable. Ugh. I know my acne is hormonal, it's just a matter of finding something to control it... I don't was to be on BC forever sad.gif

#48 SynchroSammy

SynchroSammy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hey Guys, so I was just looking through this as I used to be on Diane 35. About a year and a half after I went off of it (I'm not sure why so long after) my skin went nuts. As in cystic acne all over the place. The crazy thing is, is it happened to my twin sister at the exact same time and until this post I never even put a thought towards these horrible breakouts resulting from going off Diane. Its been almost a year now since the initial breakout and its finally almost gone. I'm left with alot of hyperpigmentation but I'm getting some chemical peels and stuff to work on that. So I should have decent skin within the next couple months. Anyways my point is I MAY have a solution. Bear with me, everyone is different. A couple months after the initial breakout and trying a bunch of stuff by ourselves my sister and I started seeing a naturopath....this was in August. We spent months with her trying to figure out the cause of the acne... trying different herbal remedies etc but no chemicals, we refused even though our skin was making us severely depressed. Finally in January she recommended we get our hormone levels tested and it turns out we had high testosterone. We were also screened for PCOS afterwards but that came out negative. Our naturopath then put us on a supplement called testo-quench. Its main herb is Saw-palmetto which supposedly, through some process that escapes my understanding, brings your production of testosterone down. Now there have been no FDA approved studies done to prove this but if I am any judge this is the only thing that helped my skin thus far and I can almost guarantee that if I were to get a blood test done now my testosterone would be normalized.... and testosterone, I'm sure you all know, is a main factor in hormonal acne. My suggestion would be to start taking this once you come off the pill, its natural and has no side effects, and see how it goes from there . Its what I would have done if I had this information before. If it doesnt work, I'm truly truly sorry. I hope you guys don't have to experience an outbreak like I did.

#49 Sweetea

Sweetea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

PLEASE READ
I took Diane 35 from around 14-21 (8 years) and I'm STILL seeing side effects!!!!! I'm almost 24 now!
So here is what happens when u come off it- first thing u notice is your energy spikes like crazy, and your sex drive. Not kidding it was wonderful I would wake up and spring out of bed, so full of energy lol. Then maybe a month or 2 i notice acne getting worse, deep cysts, blackheads, really greasy hair... All the while sex drive and energy remain very high for almost a year. So after about a year i start getting really tired, painful periods, painful cysts, LOSS of sex drive and body hair growth grrreaaaat... That continues EVEN with an organic diet, all recommended supplements, daily exercise, u name it lol! There's no stopping it and likely by that point u will develop an infection from trying to pop all those pimples like I did.

So coming off diane (or any bc) after about the 2 year mark, i begin to wonder if i am completely sterile? periods are excruciating, no sex drive, when I do have sex it is painful like there is a balloon in my stomach. So now i go to all kinds of gynos, Accupuncture, herbalist trying to solve this problem. They all tell me that i developed endometriosis, probably have cysts on ovaries (maybe explains cysts on face). Drs will tell u endo cannot be cured and it requires some terribly invasive surgery or remain on birth control the rest of your life.
So here I am almost 3 years off Diane side effects going nowhere, tried cleanses, herbs, clean diet, everything. I suggest staying on it for life lol if u are already on it... Cus now I have acne, scars, really greasy, more body hair than ever before, lots of sexual health problems at age 23 (by far worst thing)...

Oh and another very upsetting thing... Drs will tell u endometriosis, ovarian cysts, acne has almost nothing to do with coming off birth control!! It's hereditary, your oil glands, etc. Sure...

Notice how white women have majority of these problems and Asian women??? Who takes birth control!?! Whose parents force them on bc so they don't have kids at a young age to ensure they go to college??? Mostly white and Asian parents do! I swear if I ever have kids(which I prob can't) they will never be taking birth control, it is some fuked up sht!

Edited by Sweetea, 18 April 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#50 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

I am 43 years, and I have been taking diane35  for three year,   I am totally dependent of it, even the 7 days you have to rest  (placebo pills when you have your period) I break out like crazy, so I know I can't go off diane 35.

Two months ago, I heared in the news that 4 women had died because of diane 35 ( because of trombos), and France has decided to forbid Diane 35 pill. I was terrified.

I would like to know if someone has tried Saw Palmetto with success, it,s supposed to inhibit enzyme 5 reductase. I would like to try, but I think it's very risky  taking saw palmetto and diane35 at the same time.

By the way, I thought Diane 35 was forbidden in USA, can anyone tell me if I am wrong? I am from Spain.

#51 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

I forgot to ask syncrosammy, could you please specify the ingredients of your supplement? You say that the main ingredient was saw palmetto, but what dosage? And what are the others ingredients and doses?

#52 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hey ladies,

It's been several years since I first started this thread. S let me give you all an update:
As with the vast majority of you who have responded to the thread, my acne returned with a vengeance after about 3 months of going off Diane. After about a year of this, I ended up going back to birth control but tried a different brand. It was depressing because i really didn't want to be on the pill forever. I eventually want to have kids.

But I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!! I'm now trying an herbal supplement called EstroSense. It's been 1 month, and I have had amazing results. My skin in smoother, I'm not breaking out, the tiny pimples i have (it's that time of the month!) are barely noticeable. I am still on birth control, but that's because i don't want to get pregnant just yet. But the pill that I'm on really wasn't helping with my acne in the first place . I think you should give EstroSense a chance.
This is what I'm taking:
EStroSense - 2 per day
Evening primrose oil - 2 per day
Cod liver oil - 1 tsp per day
There is hope!!!