#21 Kriszti

Kriszti

It's not easy being green.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Catwoman1980 @ Oct 13 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reply to MelOuttaMegacity re going off Diane 35.

I went on Diane 35 to help treat acne on my shoulders when I was 16. It cleared up everything perfectly. At 26, I decided to give my body a break from the pill, after 10 years of being on it. I had totally forgotten about the reason I went on the pill in the first place ( I just put it down to teenage acne which I had long forgotten about ), and after a few months of being off it, my acne returned. I was mortified as it was only a few months before my wedding!!! I had to go right back on the pill and luckily my skin cleared up again just in time before the big day.

I am planning to fall pregnant in the near future and am once again concered about going off the pill, as I am worried the acne will again return. Does anybody know of anything natural or herbal that can be taken that can help keep the skin clear while coming off the pill? There must be something natural out there that can raise the oestrogen levels in women...

I don't know of anything like that, and you can't take anything that would mess with your estrogen levels since it would interfere with conception. I went off the pill four years ago to get pregnant with my first child (who will be three next month) and then continued to stay off of it after I was done breastfeeding (when my son was 13 months old) so that I could ttc for number two. That took 1.5 years and there was nothing I could take that was remotely similar to the BCP I was taking since it would have interfered with conception. Sadly, you're basically limited to dietary changes and certain topicals when ttc and pregnant. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to be absolutely certain, talk to your gynecologist or dermatologist about it.

#22 Kat001

Kat001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

After some 15 years of being on this pill, I tried to go off it about 5 months ago. I thought for sure by now i had outgrown my acne. My skin is NEVER perfect but it was doing pretty good.

I went on to Loette - its a lower dose pill and i thought it would help ease the severe migraines I get when im on Diane 35. About two months later the enlarged pores had returned. Oil slick skin. I looked more red and blotchy and then the acne came. All over my forehead (which has been clear for several years now). All along my jaw line. Pimples in the middle of my nose between my eyes. Pimples in the crease of my nose. It just got worse and worse.

I went back to the doctor. I talked about Spiro and she would not give it to me. There is not a single derm in my suburb or the surrounding ones for 100km who is taking patients - can you believe it!?

And she didnt want to know about it. This is the 2nd doctor i have seen in my area who just doesnt care.

So she wrote me a prescription for Diane and im back on it. 3 weeks later and im pretty well clear again. now i just have to fade all those red marks that ive got back as a result of the break, oh an deal with the blinding migraine i get every month when i go on to the sugar pills.

I wonder if I will EVER be able to not be on the pill. And what happens if i want kids oneday. Will i have to cope with pregnancy and a face full of zits too? sad.gif

#23 strawberryraisin

strawberryraisin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

I wonder if we have to take it for many years.

Edited by bollywood, 22 July 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#24 wapak

wapak

toomuch<3tohate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 115
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Kat001 @ Jan 16 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After some 15 years of being on this pill, I tried to go off it about 5 months ago. I thought for sure by now i had outgrown my acne. My skin is NEVER perfect but it was doing pretty good.

I went on to Loette - its a lower dose pill and i thought it would help ease the severe migraines I get when im on Diane 35. About two months later the enlarged pores had returned. Oil slick skin. I looked more red and blotchy and then the acne came. All over my forehead (which has been clear for several years now). All along my jaw line. Pimples in the middle of my nose between my eyes. Pimples in the crease of my nose. It just got worse and worse.

I went back to the doctor. I talked about Spiro and she would not give it to me. There is not a single derm in my suburb or the surrounding ones for 100km who is taking patients - can you believe it!?

And she didnt want to know about it. This is the 2nd doctor i have seen in my area who just doesnt care.

So she wrote me a prescription for Diane and im back on it. 3 weeks later and im pretty well clear again. now i just have to fade all those red marks that ive got back as a result of the break, oh an deal with the blinding migraine i get every month when i go on to the sugar pills.

I wonder if I will EVER be able to not be on the pill. And what happens if i want kids oneday. Will i have to cope with pregnancy and a face full of zits too? sad.gif

With all my 6 years of experience bearing acne. The only thing I learned is that relying on chemicals do not solve acne for long term! Now I am into this all natural regimen which I my full faith that it will finally solve my acne nightmare.

Good luck on all your endeavors!

#25 Genevieve_01

Genevieve_01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (cotten @ May 4 2008, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Going of Diane 35 is murder.

I went off 2 years ago and within 6 months I had the WORST acne I've ever had. It was all cystic under the jawline and chin. Painful and so terrible.

In highschool I just had moderate teenager type acne... nothing too bad.

Anyways, I thought it was just a phase. Which it wasn't - I tried everything to get it under control. Very restrictive diets, herbs different topicals...

Anyways, I seriously think that Diane screws up your skin permenantly as your skin isn't used to any androgens when you come off.

The only thing that got me back under control was spiro. I've weened myself down to only taking 25mg a day too and still remaining clear.

It sucks to need a drug now to keep clear, but spiro has less side effects than diane, so it's worth it.

Anyways, I hope that helped someone.

Also- I tried to wait it out, litterally for 1.5 years and it just got worse and worse, so don't play the waiting game like me...

No Way! This is exactly my story down to the last detail. I'm approaching 1.5 years after going off Diane 35, playing the waiting game and getting progressively worse cystic acne around the jawline (where I've never had it b4) I wish I never went on that stinkin pill in the first place. I'm considering Roaccutane. I've been doing the whole strict diets, natural creams and supplements thing for 8 months- no improvement. I've been seeing a very expensive integrated health practitioner who is doing his best to help me but it5's been so long now I just don't think it's going to work.

#26 Kristabel

Kristabel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I think my situation is probably the worst case scenario. I have been alternating dianette and yasmin for about 8 years and i now suffer from severe suicidal depression which i think was largely down to taking these pills for all these years, as i remember not feeling so bad when i was not taking them. Like most of you, every time i have tried to come off the pill, my skin developed massively disfiguring cystic acne within about 3 months. This acne scarred me badly and i am currently undergoing lengthy treatment for my scars.

I made a post on this board about my severe depression being made worse or even partly caused by the pill and i was advised that my mental health is far more important than skin so i should come off the pill, which i totally agree with - trust me, unless you have had severe depression you could never imagine how bad it is and how it screws with ur life. BUT i know that as soon as i come off the pill i will be badly scarred by the acne and i could not deal with that in my fragile state. I dont really want to be dependant on chemicals which mess with ur hormones (BCP, spiro etc) but dont seem to have any choice

#27 nmedugno

nmedugno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (MelOuttaMegacity @ Mar 26 2008, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just went to the dermatologist today. I haven't seen him in a long time because I pretty much got it under control with: Diane-35, Glycolic Acid in the morning and Vitamin A Gel at night.

I brought up going off the pill, and he said that I could try it and see what happens. Now I'm scared to death!!! I don't want to break out like a teenager again! I just don't want to become dependent on it.

Has anybody gone off Diane-35? What were the side effects, if any? (besides an unplanned pregnancy).

Hi,

When I have got off the pill a few differnt times and the shot I broke out terribly at fit=rst and then it calmed down after a few months. i got terrible cystic acne, but eventually it went away. Now I have the Mirena IUD and the hormones stay in your uterus, not in your blood stream. So when it is time to remove it I wont have the acne problem. Good luck!

#28 salsadog

salsadog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi Guys...

It's almost comforting to hear that I'm not the only one suffering the side effects from coming off Diane35. I was on Diane35 for 9 years. I was forced to stop taking it because in November 2008 I suffered from a pulmonary embolism (Lung blood clot). I am never allowed to go on the pill again...and not just Diane35...I can't be on any birth control pill at all.

So it's been a year and a few months and my story is quite like most of yours. After about 2-3 months I got the most oily skin I've ever had and I began to breakout with huge pimples! I originally went on Diane for Mild teenage acne. I never had oily skin, or acne this bad for that matter. Had I known that this is what happens when you stop taking it, I would have never gone on it. I have a regime, but topical remedies don't work. The pill screws up your hormones and therefore you have to work from the inside out. I've been to the dermatologist and because I am on blood thinners for life, I can't take any of the meds he wants to put me on...like Accutane.

So I did some research and found a drug called Spironolactone. Not many side effects...but it could screw up my menstrual cycle. The way I see it is clear skin vs a few more days of period...I'll take the clear skin. Has anyone used this? If so, how'd it go??

I hate this and I am desperate. Not only is this embarassing and ruining my social life, but it's getting really expensive with all the cosmetics and cleansing products. I used to swim, but I don't dare infront of everyone anymore. I have Bacne as well! And the water takes off the make-up to reveal dime sized scaring on my face. I was asked to go on vacation to the carribean, but I passed it up because I hate what I look like in the heat and water.

hope to hear from someone with a similar situation as mine. Support is good!

#29 ecseke

ecseke

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:07 AM

This is really really upsetting to hear these reviews. I have been on Diane 35 for 11 years now to treat bad acne when I was 22 starting at the age of 14 and was fed up and Diane 35 worked great! But now I am in my 30's and want to try and get off of it cause I have been on it so long and worried my teenage years will return or even worse hearing about all of this. I did try to get off when I was 24 but it did come back even worse and I just got back on. I figure if I had it at 24 why not still at 33? For me the acne was definitely hormonal even in my 20's and that is way past puberty.

I can't deal with that. We should not be having these problems and what upsets me even more is that a Dr just told me to change to Yasmin for a lighter (meaning less strong) pill cause he does not believe I will break out again and that long term use of Diane is not good (like any pill is anyway or any other medication with side effects). Anyway, Yasmin has bloated me, constipated me (and I went to him originally for constipation so this just made it worse), makes me more nervous and I am urinating constantly, so I quickly switched back to Diane 35 after using Yasmin for 10 days and hopefully things will get back to normal and all those ridiculous side effects gone. Don't need more problems then necessary.

Just don't know what to do to get off of Diane 35 without any problems. It is ridiculous. I cant believe we have to go through this and that really there is no good solution or an effective one for most women in this situation.

Bottom line, YOU have to take care of yourself. Know your body and demand what you need from sources and multiple sources and be healthy too. If you can avoid going on the pill ever, then a good idea to do so, but not everyone is lucky enough to be born with good skin, and problem free life, etc.

I just hope these weird side effects from Yasmin will go away soon and disrupting Diane 35 will not cause any long term problems and figure out a plan for getting off of Diane 35 soon.

I believe if your acne is hormonal to start like for me, then what I need to do is try something similar to Diane 35 but lower in strength progressively but I don't know the options for that.

#30 nue

nue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hey everyone, I've lurked here for years and never posted, but after reading this depressing thread I thought I would chime in with a success story.

I stopped taking Diane 35 a year ago at the age of 24 after being on it for 10 years. My acne was severe and my derm put me on accutane when I was 13, and when that didn't work she put me on Diane at 14. My GP encouraged me to keep taking it for so long, saying that I had no other option except to retry all the topicals that never worked. Sometimes I asked her if it was safe, since I often read articles and studies that said that long term BC was bad for you, but she always told me that she had never heard anything like that and that it was probably fine. Despite being on Diane so long, my acne never cleared up really well. I would say I had moderate to sometimes mild acne instead of severe acne.

Well, last year I took a look at myself in the mirror and wondered why I bothered. I had begun to develop cysts all over my jawline and neck on top of the normal acne, and besides that my body acne was worse than ever. Let me take a moment to explain my body acne - I developed it in my late teens and it stretched from my shoulders all the way down to my lower back, and covered my shoulders and my chest and breasts. It was cystic and severe. My derms and GP were shocked but unhelpful, telling me it was acne and that it would eventually go away.

So I said, screw it, it's not helping. I ditched the Diane and I felt funny for about a week, and then I felt amazingly great for a week, and then things settled down a bit and I felt pretty good overall. My face did explode, but I think it was doing that already with the jawline cysts. It was bad for about 8 months but I did lots of research here on the .org and tried a lot of different treatments. Here's what finally worked for me.

I discovered that a lot of what I had wasn't even acne. It was folliculitis! Thanks for nothing, useless derms! I discovered it by reading the body acne forum and trying out the anti-fungal shampoo Head and Shoulders. It's been clearing up my back like nothing else ever has. I might be able to wear dresses and low cut tops by this summer! But my face was still pretty bad. Everyone kept saying that folliculitis can cause your body acne but that it was rare on the face or only occurred on the forehead or whatever so I never tried it on my face. Until one day where I thought, why not try, and I started washing my face with the head and shoulders. It worked! I'm clear! The only other thing I use is BP as a spot treatment for the occasional jawline cyst.

So, bottom line: my GP and derms were using Diane 35 to treat a condition that I probably didn't even have, and that was probably caused by antibiotic use and then encouraged by.... you guessed it! Long term birth control!

I guess the point of this story is to let you guys know that Diane isn't the only acne treatment for us girls, and to investigate some other possible causes and treatments and see what's really going on with your skin. Doctors and derms are so fond of chucking birth control at young girls with "hormonal" issues like acne to get you out of their office. It's a cop out, and don't settle for it if you don't think it's right for you. Trust yourself to know your body!

Good luck, friends! I hope you find your cure.

#31 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

I was on Diane-35, and while I was on it my skin was basically perfect. It had been so long since I had had a breakout that I decided my skin must have figured itself out.
I was very, very wrong!
After I went off of it, the first 1-2 months were great. I actually thought my skin might have even improved. Then on the 3rd month I had a massive breakout. I didn't even realize what had caused it initally, I had forgotten about going off of Diane-35. My skin was the worst it had ever been. I went to the dermo and he told me about post-pill breakouts which are very common. I went back on the pill (Alesse this time, Diane was really strong) and my skin cleared up within 4 months, but still not back to it's initial state of perfection.
Honestly, unless you want to have a child at the moment, just don't go off of Diane. It's such a small inconvenience and is totally worth having nice skin.

#32 peace2823

peace2823

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

hi, i'm diane35 user for a couple of years until i took off for 2 years. most of the 2 years, my skin was clear and the last thing on my mind was how to prevent aging. i'm 39 going on 40. last july, realised my skin getting oily with ocassional pimple/nodules since i took on a new & stressful job in may. i became pregnant and did a TOP in oct. after that, i suffered and still suffering from big inflammed serverd deep cystic. been to 3 dermatologists and it seems to get worse! So my advice is DO NOT stop diane35 or if you stop, make sure to monitor your skin condition. if it starts to get oily, its a definite sign to resume. i regretted not taking this precaution and i'm suffering from it now. trust me, you simply have zero life.

#33 royally

royally

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

Hi,
I was on Diane 35 for 14 yrs (im now 28). My hubby and I decided that we wanted to try and fall pregnant so I thought nothing of going off my Diane as I was hoping by now my I should have out grown my acne. (I have been battling it for over 10 yrs)
The first month wasnt too bad...slightly oily skin.
The second month it started to get bad...not just on my face but on my back and chest aswell. I havent had breakouts on my body in years!! Of course I started to panic. I started on the usual OTC stuff hoping I could get it under control.
Months 3 & 4 I was absolutely depressed about my skin. I was getting huge cysts under my jawline and cheeks and my breakouts on my body even worse. I started using BP 2.5% on face and 5% on body..has cleared up somewhat but not completely.
I didnt want to go back to what I had to deal with when I was at school...yes I know im an adult now and people wouldnt be as harsh, but I still couldnt get over the emotional trauma I went through as a teenager.
Ive just finished month 5 and decided that im going to go back on my pill its just not letting up. My hubby insisted that I go back on the pill aswell as he could see how depressed I was (literally to the point of bawling my eyes out twice a day) plus he just started a new job so financially we arent secure at the moment.
Im praying that there will be some sort of tablet in the near future that helps acne when you are looking to fall pregnant...maybe its just wish for thinking.
Its good to know that im not the only one having to go through this...at least that helps just a little.
But definately dont go off Diane if you can help it...it was great for me.
Royally

#34 dcagliero

dcagliero

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

I am 41yrs old. I was on the pill for about 15yrs. I just decided to go off and now my skin is extremely oily and I have tiny pimples on my forehead and on my chest. I'm hoping this won't last. I guess I just need to let my body adjust and hope my hormones adjust.

#35 kimberlina81

kimberlina81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

I went off the pill this year after our wedding to give my body a break and because it does terrible things to my body. I'm 28 so I had hoped I'd 'grown out of it'.

Well, the first month was fine. Next month was getting worse and definitely around my period. By month 3, I had back and chest acne, and had broken out badly on my t area on my face.

I know that my acne is definitely hormonal. It get worse at that time of the month. All of the face washes etc did nothing.

At month 4, I went back on the pill until we are going to try to have kids....

My friend also had the same problem (and is the same age) and after she became pregnant it did eventually clear up. She gets the occasional break out but nothing like it was when she was 'trying'.

Hopefully when we do have kids (next couple of years) it will improve.

#36 l'eremita

l'eremita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

I, too, was on Diane-35 for a longgggg time, like 9 years. While on this BCP, I was under the supervision of 2 doctors, one a GP and one a dermatologist, both of whom assured me it was okay to be on it so long. I then went to another doctor who said I should not have been on it that long and prescribed me Alesse. The Diane was working okay, but when I went on Alesse, I was breaking out even more, hormonal acne, cystic, painful, just horrible. So I went back to the doctor and she put me on Yaz. I've been taking that for about 8 months, and now I'm consistently broken out. I'm 28 and I don't even want to be on the pill anymore, I'm worried about its long term effects, and it doesn't even keep me clear anymore!

I want to get off it but, like everyone else, I'm miserable with acne and terrified that once I go off, I'll have worse acne than I did when I was originally prescribed the pill. If only we knew what to do to keep the acne at bay once we quit the pill. I feel hopeless, like there are no solutions.

My sympathy goes out to all of you struggling in this same situation.

l'eremita

#37 Skytenshi

Skytenshi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

There is another thread on this issue: http://www.acne.org/...nt-t188651.html

I hate my doctor for prescribing me with Diane 35 ten years ago. Sure, it completely "cured" my moderate back acne, but every time I tried to stop the pill (once 6 years ago and once 3 years ago), my back acne came back with a vengeance (i.e. I ended up with severe back acne that has resulted in some scarring).

D*mn you, Diane 35. If you go on their website, they go on about how beautiful your skin will become and how you can stop taking the pill after 3 months or once you become clear. They make it sound like a miracle drug and no where do they warn us that rebound acne (at a more severe level) will occur once we stop the pill.

The doctors' failure to warn us of a substantial risk of treatment can amount to medical negligence!

I would never have gone on this pill if my doctor had warned me.

#38 strawberryraisin

strawberryraisin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Does the pill also help with excess facial hair or hair in other places women should not have due to hormonal imbalance? I been on diane and yasmin before, but did not see much improvement with hair growth, places where men usually have.

#39 kiwi_kazoo

kiwi_kazoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (bollywood @ Dec 29 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the pill also help with excess facial hair or hair in other places women should not have due to hormonal imbalance? I been on diane and yasmin before, but did not see much improvement with hair growth, places where men usually have.

have you been tested for PCOS? excess facial hair can be one of the symptoms.

#40 hopefuloz

hopefuloz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi all
I thought I was the only one suffering in her 30s from acne! I was also on Dianette for a long time. My dr in the Uk told me that I shouldn't be on that type of pill for any longer than 5 years max as it can cause liver damage!!

I suggest that if you are still on it, try and get off. I also used it specifically for my skin when I was 19 and then stayed it on for many years. I switched pills at about 27 and my skin remained in an ok state. It wasn't until I went off it completely last year that my acne returned at full force.

I felt 14 again and at 32, it isn't the emotional or physical place you want to be. I couldn't believe after suffering for 20 years from acne in some form or another, it was coming back full force. I became a bit of an emotional mess and quite depressed. It is a year later and I am still suffering, I don't have the cystic acne that occured within that first couple of months but my skin is still not in a good condition. I have break outs along my jaw above and below and on my neck where I have never had them before. They are mainly whiteheads and some pimples, very hard to get rid of and take ages to heal. I know this is hormonal and have searched desperately for a solution. I have been recommended to take agnus castus to regulate my hormones. I have only been using it for a few weeks so hopefully it will help.

I've also decided to follow an anti inflammatory diet and find as many holistic solutions as possible as I feel Dr's and Derms have not helped me! I've felt really sad reading these posts, we should all be enjoying our late 20's,30s not suffering like teens!I will keep updating and hopefully post positive results!
Sending you all lots of positive, healing energy biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users