Photo

Going off Diane 35 (birth control)?

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

I just went to the dermatologist today. I haven't seen him in a long time because I pretty much got it under control with: Diane-35, Glycolic Acid in the morning and Vitamin A Gel at night.

I brought up going off the pill, and he said that I could try it and see what happens. Now I'm scared to death!!! I don't want to break out like a teenager again! I just don't want to become dependent on it.

Has anybody gone off Diane-35? What were the side effects, if any? (besides an unplanned pregnancy).

#2 funkydiva77

funkydiva77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 29
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:30 AM

I would love to know this also??

How long were you on Diane 35??
Sufferer of Mild Hormonal Acne from Insulin Resistance/PCOS since Age 22
Female Age 29, New Zealand

TREATMENTS TRIED & FAILED
Accutane, Doxycycline, Estelle35/Diane35 BCP, BP, Baking Soda,
Topical Green Tea, Tea Tree Oil, Multiple OTC products
AM
1. Baby Brush Method
2. Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser
3. Avon Anew Retexturising Peel Glycolic Acid 10% (every 2nd day)
PM
1. Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser
2. Differin 0.1%
* NOTE: I dont use moisterizer my face is never dry
SUPPLEMENTS
Womens Multi Vitamin,Bio Magnesium, Fish Oil = 2grms Omega 3
Exercise Daily: Cardio and Low Intensity Strength Training

#3 rainydays

rainydays

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:52 AM

i went off it a year ago after being on it for a year and a half.. i definitely broke out again pretty soon after being on it, so im starting back on it again in a couple weeks.

i also dont wanna depend on it as its not even supposed to be taken for a long period of time and it makes me rather depressed but my doc said thats the trade off for decent skin:\

i plan on asking for ortho tri cyclin lo or yaz when my year script is up but if the moods get bad before that ill ask to switch sooner.

(im also on steivamycin)

the hormonal treatment section under prescriptions has a lot more info if you search the drug name in that forum smile.gif
23/female/canada

routine:

wash with water in the morning
moisturize a bit with bio oil if necessary
spot treat if necessary with benzamycin
apply everyday minerals olive fair make up

wash with spectro gel moisturizing formula before bed
wait 20 mins and apply stievamycin (.5% tretinoin/ 4% erythromycin)

internally - diane 35 bcp

skin is about 90% clear again, yay!

#4 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (funkydiva77 @ Mar 27 2008, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been on Diane 35 for about 10 years now. That's why I feel it's about time to stop it. I'm scared to death to go off it though. But I think I will try it. I just took my last pill on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

QUOTE (rainydays @ Mar 27 2008, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i went off it a year ago after being on it for a year and a half.. i definitely broke out again pretty soon after being on it, so im starting back on it again in a couple weeks.

i also dont wanna depend on it as its not even supposed to be taken for a long period of time and it makes me rather depressed but my doc said thats the trade off for decent skin:\

i plan on asking for ortho tri cyclin lo or yaz when my year script is up but if the moods get bad before that ill ask to switch sooner.

(im also on steivamycin)

the hormonal treatment section under prescriptions has a lot more info if you search the drug name in that forum smile.gif

I've tried Orthotricyclin Lo. It gave me hot flashes and didn't do much for my skin. Maybe it'll be different for you though.

Tell me, when you went off Diane-35, did you get crazy hormonal???

#5 judith

judith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

If all you want is birth control without side effects, I would recommend the mirena IUD which I love. I had it placed over a month ago without any sign of new acne nor any other hormonal side effect. I LOVE IT!!!!

Look into it because for me it is great but we are all different inregards to how our body responds to things.

Good luck!

#6 rainydays

rainydays

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (MelOuttaMegacity @ Apr 1 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've tried Orthotricyclin Lo. It gave me hot flashes and didn't do much for my skin. Maybe it'll be different for you though.

hormonal as in moody/crying? i had more of a problem with that when i was on diane than when i came off... but yeah the hormones had to go crazy cause i started to break out again and it just got worse as the months went on that i was off the pill. also my periods became heavy again and more painful cramp wise than they ever were on the pill or before i was on the pill... which is a big reason why im kinda happy to go back on it.

but wow 10 years? did you always use it as birth control and never get preg?

i ask because my doc said its not the best pill for actual birth control as its more made for acne so he got me nervous not to trust it.

also, it says youre supposed to come off it once your acne clears up as its not healthy to be on it for a long period of time, how were you allowed 10 years??

id say expect to break out coming off it but be really stringent with a good routine and topical to battle it.

ive no interest in IUDs as i dont want any foreign objects put up my vagina, ive heard some horror stories about the pain and bleeding those things cause. (not to mention the main reason im using birth control is for my skin, so that wouldnt help it at all)
23/female/canada

routine:

#7 ~lola~

~lola~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

I came off Dianette (British name for Diane-35) in March 2006, after being on it for 5 years, as it was raising my blood pressure too high. While I'd been on it, it hadn't actually made any improvement to my skin. Only after I went through a course of Roaccutane in 2004 my skin improved and it became 100% clear. Unfortunately, within a fortnight of stopping Dianette in 2006, two years after the Roaccutane, my skin was excessively oily again, and within 3-4 months, the acne slowly started to creep back. Two years later, I'm now considering going back to my derm to enquire about a possible second course of Roaccutane, as the acne is back to about the same degree as it was to start with.

Of course, this could have happened regardless, but I'm just annoyed that I had to come off the Dianette, and when I did it seemed to trigger my skin again. Considering it didn't make that much difference to me while I was on it, I kind of wish I'd never bothered with it in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#8 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (rainydays @ Apr 3 2008, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MelOuttaMegacity @ Apr 1 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hormonal as in moody/crying? i had more of a problem with that when i was on diane than when i came off... but yeah the hormones had to go crazy cause i started to break out again and it just got worse as the months went on that i was off the pill. also my periods became heavy again and more painful cramp wise than they ever were on the pill or before i was on the pill... which is a big reason why im kinda happy to go back on it.

but wow 10 years? did you always use it as birth control and never get preg?

i ask because my doc said its not the best pill for actual birth control as its more made for acne so he got me nervous not to trust it.

also, it says youre supposed to come off it once your acne clears up as its not healthy to be on it for a long period of time, how were you allowed 10 years??

id say expect to break out coming off it but be really stringent with a good routine and topical to battle it.

ive no interest in IUDs as i dont want any foreign objects put up my vagina, ive heard some horror stories about the pain and bleeding those things cause. (not to mention the main reason im using birth control is for my skin, so that wouldnt help it at all)

Hmmmm... My doctors never expressed to me any concern for me being on it for so long. I had expressed mine, but they didn't seem to think it was a big deal (and there are 3 of them). Yes, I've been using it as my only source of birth control, and it has totally worked for me. No problems whatsoever. But don't blame me if you get preggy!!!! I don't want that on my hands!!!! But I've taken the risk for 10 years of my life, and I can safely say that I've never had a scare.

I'm absolutely terrified right now. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be taking my first pill for the next monthly cycle... and it will be my first time in 10 years to not take it! Puh-leeeease let me be one of the lucky ones to not break out! Wish me luck!!!!!

#9 rainydays

rainydays

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:52 PM

well considering you were on it for 10 yrs i assume youre probably over 25, which is supposedly the age hormonal acne calms down on its own for women... so maybe it wont affect you so much, but who knows. im sure your hormones will be a little out of whack at first but hopefully with a good routine youll be fine. good luck!

i took my first pill today after being off it for a year.
23/female/canada

routine:

#10 mrs stella pimple

mrs stella pimple

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

I stopped taking the pill about 6 month ago and first I though I was lucky that my skin stayed clear but two month ago I started breaking out again. Haven't been taking Diane 35 though, but have been taking it before switching to another pill (Belara), which actually worked much better for me than the Diane.

Hope you won't start breaking out. But there might be other changes... The only good one is that I dropped a couple of pounds wink.gif

#11 janeyjane

janeyjane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

I took dianette for a while and although it didn't clear my skin totally it did with the help of topicals as well. I then took similar bcp brands that have less risks but when I stopped taking them about a year and a half ago it all went horribly wrong and now i'm on accutane. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear!

Also, I would not recommend the mirena iud as it can cause acne (in reference to an above post) go for the copper one if you want one!

#12 ARpooh

ARpooh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (MelOuttaMegacity @ Mar 26 2008, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just went to the dermatologist today. I haven't seen him in a long time because I pretty much got it under control with: Diane-35, Glycolic Acid in the morning and Vitamin A Gel at night.

I brought up going off the pill, and he said that I could try it and see what happens. Now I'm scared to death!!! I don't want to break out like a teenager again! I just don't want to become dependent on it.

Has anybody gone off Diane-35? What were the side effects, if any? (besides an unplanned pregnancy).

I am actually going through this aweful experience. Last Aug 07, I stopped the Diane after taking it for 8 years+. It took about 2-3 months to kick in, but my acne came back with a vengence... worst than it has ever been (even worst than teenager years). Its cystic swollen acne that arises continously as well as oily everything... incl back acne that I never had before. So now today in May, i'm still trying and hoping that this crazy hormal phase will soon be over, but month to month, the acne is still here and not alleviating. I tried everyting, the Retin A, blue light etc etc... but nothing seems to help. This adult acne break out is quite hard to bear...
However, on the bright side, I had a friend that saw my experience and decided to phase off the Diane instead of going cold turkey. She switched from Diane to another BCP that has slightly lower androgyn control and now she has successfully weened off the Diane. (but then again, she never had much acne to begin with, so it worked for her, but I'm convinced it wouldn't have worked for me anyway).
Good luck on coming off the Diane as there are those that can phase out easier than others. I will continue hoping on my side.

#13 lmh1105

lmh1105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:24 PM

I was on BCP for almost 12 years. I tried stopping it about three years ago b/c I had convinced myself I was going to get cancer or something...

Anyway, when I started the pill I had never had skin problems. When I stopped three years ago, my skin broke out like crazy. Like nothing I had ever experienced before. I tried waiting it out (for about 6 months) to see if things would normalize. Didn't happen.

My gyno convinced me to go back on b/c I was so miserable about my skin and she assured me I wasn't going to get some catastrophic illness.

My skin cleared up within a month of being back on BCP and all was fine. Until last summer. While still on BCP, I suddenly developed acne problems.

Actually just posted the saga and what ended up working for me in the mild/moderate board.

But anyway, I agree with a previous poster that getting into a good routine seems to be key before stopping the pill.

I stopped BCP again a little over two months ago. And I was terrified b/c of what happened last time.

But it's been ok. (banging hard on wood)

I definitely get a couple more pimples right around my period. But I've stuck with my regimen and have tried popping an Aleve or two when it seems very clear that the zits are associated with the time of the month. So far...so good...

good luck.

#14 /anna/

/anna/

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Eeek, I'm worried about going off Dianette. I've been on it nearly 5 months and I'm only allowed to stay on another month. I used to take antibiotics and when I came off those my acne returned within a couple of weeks and my back also randomly broke out even though I didn't have acne there before. Dianette has cleared my back completely and made my face a lot better so I don't want this to happen again...

#15 funkydiva77

funkydiva77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 29
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Well I am NEVER going off it unless I absolutely have to!! just aint worth it, no way!!
Sufferer of Mild Hormonal Acne from Insulin Resistance/PCOS since Age 22
Female Age 29, New Zealand

TREATMENTS TRIED & FAILED
Accutane, Doxycycline, Estelle35/Diane35 BCP, BP, Baking Soda,
Topical Green Tea, Tea Tree Oil, Multiple OTC products
AM
1. Baby Brush Method
2. Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser
3. Avon Anew Retexturising Peel Glycolic Acid 10% (every 2nd day)
PM
1. Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser
2. Differin 0.1%
* NOTE: I dont use moisterizer my face is never dry
SUPPLEMENTS
Womens Multi Vitamin,Bio Magnesium, Fish Oil = 2grms Omega 3
Exercise Daily: Cardio and Low Intensity Strength Training

#16 cotten

cotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

Going of Diane 35 is murder.

I went off 2 years ago and within 6 months I had the WORST acne I've ever had. It was all cystic under the jawline and chin. Painful and so terrible.

In highschool I just had moderate teenager type acne... nothing too bad.

Anyways, I thought it was just a phase. Which it wasn't - I tried everything to get it under control. Very restrictive diets, herbs different topicals...

Anyways, I seriously think that Diane screws up your skin permenantly as your skin isn't used to any androgens when you come off.

The only thing that got me back under control was spiro. I've weened myself down to only taking 25mg a day too and still remaining clear.

It sucks to need a drug now to keep clear, but spiro has less side effects than diane, so it's worth it.

Anyways, I hope that helped someone.

Also- I tried to wait it out, litterally for 1.5 years and it just got worse and worse, so don't play the waiting game like me...

#17 anne.s

anne.s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

i was on ortho for 4 years, got off of it last may, my periods didnt start up until january...and then my skin started to be crazy bad.
now im on solodyn and differin.
i never had a skin issue before, but now m skin is managable

i would suggest that if you are going off of BC to have a topical medication that you apply at least.
i didnt think anything would happen, didnt even know acne wa a side effect of going off the pill until it happened to me...so just be prepared.
take supplements like fish oil and zinc.

i think you should be fine if you aniticipate it.

best of luck to you! i just am glad you wont have what happened to me...a surprise acne attack

#18 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (funkydiva77 @ Mar 27 2008, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's now been 3 months since I've been off Diane 35, and the skin on my face is clear. I must say that I'm quite happy with my results. The only problem is that I've developed some acne on my chest. It wasn't so bad at first, so I tried the whole Head & Shoulders thing. It got rid of the big ones, but they were replaced with a bunch of little ones. The little ones aren't so bad. I just try to cover them up with a bit of make-up.

#19 stokie

stokie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

I first took Dianette two years ago after Cerazette messed up my skin. My skin was clear within about four months so after 6 months my doctor told me to come off it. I really wasn't happy as it was the only BCP which had ever suited me, no headaches, good skin etc. I had the copper coil fitted as I didn't want any more hormonal contraception. My skin was absolutely fine until about 4 months ago when it started to break out badly again so I'm back on Dianette again to clear my skin.

However, this can't be linked to coming off Dianette as I was off it for over a year before my skin erupted again - no idea what the cause is this time!

#20 Catwoman1980

Catwoman1980

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

Reply to MelOuttaMegacity re going off Diane 35.

I went on Diane 35 to help treat acne on my shoulders when I was 16. It cleared up everything perfectly. At 26, I decided to give my body a break from the pill, after 10 years of being on it. I had totally forgotten about the reason I went on the pill in the first place ( I just put it down to teenage acne which I had long forgotten about ), and after a few months of being off it, my acne returned. I was mortified as it was only a few months before my wedding!!! I had to go right back on the pill and luckily my skin cleared up again just in time before the big day.

I am planning to fall pregnant in the near future and am once again concered about going off the pill, as I am worried the acne will again return. Does anybody know of anything natural or herbal that can be taken that can help keep the skin clear while coming off the pill? There must be something natural out there that can raise the oestrogen levels in women...

QUOTE (MelOuttaMegacity @ Mar 25 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>