Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SunshineGirl84

Why worse before better? and HOW bad does it get?

18 posts in this topic

i am midway through week 3 of Sotret and i think my acne is in the "get worse" phase. (though my mom, optimisitc woman, tells me every day "WOW, it looks better already!!"

anyways...i am wondering for people who have taken isotretinoin did it get worse before better? and if so, how bad did it get? and for how long, before it started improving?

ALso, if anybody knows...i am very curious about the REASON for why medications do this....this is not the first medicine i have taken where they told me that it'd get worse before it got better. what is the MEDICAL or scientific/biological/chemical (whatever) reason for why this is the case?? it's strange to me that the medicine would at first make the condition worse...

so if anybody knows, that'd be great....

it'll also make me feel better because i sometimes look in the mirror and wonder, why isn't it working !!

Your skin will get worse because as the meds go through your system, it causes all of the bacteria that causes your acne to 'escape' and come to the surface (causing breakouts). Basically, you WANT the breakouts. Without these breakouts, bacteria will stay in your system and your acne will never go away. That basically sums up what my derm told me anyways.

My skin got worse for about a week. Not too much worse. I don't think it even got as bad as my worst breakout.

Even though you don't see a difference, there probably is one. You just don't see it because it changes so slowly. After being on accutane for about 5 months, I was flipping through my photo album and was shocked at how bad my acne was while first starting accutane as compared to how it is now. If your mom says it's getting better, it probably is!

LaLaLa

i am midway through week 3 of Sotret and i think my acne is in the "get worse" phase. (though my mom, optimisitc woman, tells me every day "WOW, it looks better already!!"

anyways...i am wondering for people who have taken isotretinoin did it get worse before better? and if so, how bad did it get? and for how long, before it started improving?

ALso, if anybody knows...i am very curious about the REASON for why medications do this....this is not the first medicine i have taken where they told me that it'd get worse before it got better. what is the MEDICAL or scientific/biological/chemical (whatever) reason for why this is the case?? it's strange to me that the medicine would at first make the condition worse...

it'll also make me feel better because i sometimes look in the mirror and wonder, why isn't it working !!

My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

My skin seemed to clear up almost immediatley, it was only through my own stupidity that I am now ( 56 days in) dealing with the leftovers from a breakout. I contribute my breakout to several things... Screwing with my sleep cycle, smoking too much dope, binge drinking, and eating bad food. I also took mino for the first couple weeks I started Accutane, against my doctors advice. I don't know if that was a factor in my breakout or not. I was doing awesome though, I went from day one to day fifty with maybe five or ten new actives that quickly subsided. It was only after living a shitty lifestyle that my skin started to disagree with me.

Don't waste money on cheap acne treatments that don't work. If it worked - it wouldn't be cheap.

Im on my 24th day and im still getting acne(even cysts)...it did get worse, like up til my 2nd week my skin was way oily,but it has gotten a bit better.

Love Life

just want to correct something mentioned in this thread...

MG86: marijuana won't hurt your acne in any way, nor will it react with accutane. The only link ever possibly observed was when, during "reefer madness", biased scientists said that marijuana decreased testosterone levels in men. First off, that would help with acne. Secondly, that was junk science that has since been disproved.

for anyone wondering if i'm just a stoner trying to stand up for weed -- i wrote the book on it. literally.

I had acne for years ('tane didn't work) and then I finally found the perfect regimen for me. Visit my acne treatment blog also known as the Get Clear Blog at www.getclearblog.com. (It's still a work in progress, and my full regimen isn't up yet. But check back!)

just want to correct something mentioned in this thread...

MG86: marijuana won't hurt your acne in any way, nor will it react with accutane. The only link ever possibly observed was when, during "reefer madness", biased scientists said that marijuana decreased testosterone levels in men. First off, that would help with acne. Secondly, that was junk science that has since been disproved.

for anyone wondering if i'm just a stoner trying to stand up for weed -- i wrote the book on it. literally.

and i'm not sure about alcohol, but as it's a toxin it could well have a very negative effect... alcohol is pretty unhealthy.

Don't waste money on cheap acne treatments that don't work. If it worked - it wouldn't be cheap.

Ok guys thanks for all your input.

I have an update, i am almost done with week 4 now, and i woke up this morning with a few WHITE HEADS :hand: on my chin. also, here has been a painful "below the surface" pimple growing under my chin (is that a "cyst"?) that I have been watching grow this week and it is finally growing to fruition. I suppose there was nothing really i could do about that one, besides NOT touch underneath my chin. I have NEVER had a zit that low before.

Is this normal for week 4?!

I am talking about brand new white heads and "beneath the surface"/PAINFUL zits.....

people, share your war stories...

Day 131, 1-2 new spots every day since the start, very discouraged, angry, and depressed. I guess I'm just one of those rare cases...

He conquers who endures

I think one reason for your skin to have an IB is the fact that while you start accutane you will be stopping your previous regimen that was controlling your acne to a certain extent.

So the transitional phase between halting your previous regimen and the time needed for accutane to kick in will be the phase where you will encounter an IB. I assume this is one of the several reasons behind the IB.

I think one reason for your skin to have an IB is the fact that while you start accutane you will be stopping your previous regimen that was controlling your acne to a certain extent.

So the transitional phase between halting your previous regimen and the time needed for accutane to kick in will be the phase where you will encounter an IB. I assume this is one of the several reasons behind the IB.

Hey im starting accutane in 3 days im excited and some what worried in a way because i really dont want my acne to get worse does it always have to get worse because last 4 months my acne was so bad that not even 1 single pimple fit on my cheek now i have scars a few lil pimples but not much any advice ?

I broke out all throughout my course. 60mg a day. I completed my 5 month course but it was extended due to breakouts. I broke out for 10 months before I saw positive results.

Danny

I broke out all throughout my course. 60mg a day. I completed my 5 month course but it was extended due to breakouts. I broke out for 10 months before I saw positive results.

Danny

did u you scar at all? (indented scars)?

I am on my second about to be third week of taking accutane. Just recently my skin began to breakout more than usual. The breakout isn't horrible, but a numerous amount (approx. 5) of new pimples have come to the surface.

My dermatologist told me this was very common that MANY accutane users encounter a period where your skin begins to get worse before it gets better. I guess this is that period. It honestly sucks and I wish the medication could start working immediately, but i'm hoping and wishing for the best results in the end.