Photo

Why worse before better? and HOW bad does it get?

retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 SunshineGirl84

SunshineGirl84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

i am midway through week 3 of Sotret and i think my acne is in the "get worse" phase. (though my mom, optimisitc woman, tells me every day "WOW, it looks better already!!"

anyways...i am wondering for people who have taken isotretinoin did it get worse before better? and if so, how bad did it get? and for how long, before it started improving?

ALso, if anybody knows...i am very curious about the REASON for why medications do this....this is not the first medicine i have taken where they told me that it'd get worse before it got better. what is the MEDICAL or scientific/biological/chemical (whatever) reason for why this is the case?? it's strange to me that the medicine would at first make the condition worse...
so if anybody knows, that'd be great....

it'll also make me feel better because i sometimes look in the mirror and wonder, why isn't it working !!

#2 kissme

kissme

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

Your skin will get worse because as the meds go through your system, it causes all of the bacteria that causes your acne to 'escape' and come to the surface (causing breakouts). Basically, you WANT the breakouts. Without these breakouts, bacteria will stay in your system and your acne will never go away. That basically sums up what my derm told me anyways.

My skin got worse for about a week. Not too much worse. I don't think it even got as bad as my worst breakout.

Even though you don't see a difference, there probably is one. You just don't see it because it changes so slowly. After being on accutane for about 5 months, I was flipping through my photo album and was shocked at how bad my acne was while first starting accutane as compared to how it is now. If your mom says it's getting better, it probably is!

LaLaLa

#3 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (SunshineGirl84 @ Mar 25 2008, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am midway through week 3 of Sotret and i think my acne is in the "get worse" phase. (though my mom, optimisitc woman, tells me every day "WOW, it looks better already!!"

anyways...i am wondering for people who have taken isotretinoin did it get worse before better? and if so, how bad did it get? and for how long, before it started improving?

ALso, if anybody knows...i am very curious about the REASON for why medications do this....this is not the first medicine i have taken where they told me that it'd get worse before it got better. what is the MEDICAL or scientific/biological/chemical (whatever) reason for why this is the case?? it's strange to me that the medicine would at first make the condition worse...

it'll also make me feel better because i sometimes look in the mirror and wonder, why isn't it working !!

Mine got much worse before getting better. I would say my face looked like crap the first 5 months on accutane and only started to look good towards the very end. I took it for 6 months.
My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

#4 1of42

1of42

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (SunshineGirl84 @ Mar 25 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From reading some of the medical literature (and Wikipedia... heh heh heh), isotretinoin permanently shrinks the oil-producing glands in your skin, as well as drastically decreases the skin's ability to form comedoes and thus pimples. However, supposedly at the beginning of the course (before it's started doing its treatment effects - takes time, because it's theorized that accutane operates by altering DNA transcription in the skin) it alters your hormone balance slightly, which can often lead to breakouts. On the other hand, who really knows - it's not even known for sure how accutane works, so who can say why its side effects happen. wink.gif

#5 MG86

MG86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

My skin seemed to clear up almost immediatley, it was only through my own stupidity that I am now ( 56 days in) dealing with the leftovers from a breakout. I contribute my breakout to several things... Screwing with my sleep cycle, smoking too much dope, binge drinking, and eating bad food. I also took mino for the first couple weeks I started Accutane, against my doctors advice. I don't know if that was a factor in my breakout or not. I was doing awesome though, I went from day one to day fifty with maybe five or ten new actives that quickly subsided. It was only after living a shitty lifestyle that my skin started to disagree with me.
Don't waste money on cheap acne treatments that don't work. If it worked - it wouldn't be cheap.

#6 datrockwilder

datrockwilder

DatRockwilder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Im on my 24th day and im still getting acne(even cysts)...it did get worse, like up til my 2nd week my skin was way oily,but it has gotten a bit better.
Love Life

#7 jasher

jasher

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

just want to correct something mentioned in this thread...

MG86: marijuana won't hurt your acne in any way, nor will it react with accutane. The only link ever possibly observed was when, during "reefer madness", biased scientists said that marijuana decreased testosterone levels in men. First off, that would help with acne. Secondly, that was junk science that has since been disproved.

for anyone wondering if i'm just a stoner trying to stand up for weed -- i wrote the book on it. literally.

and i'm not sure about alcohol, but as it's a toxin it could well have a very negative effect... alcohol is pretty unhealthy.
I had acne for years ('tane didn't work) and then I finally found the perfect regimen for me. Visit my acne treatment blog also known as the Get Clear Blog at www.getclearblog.com. (It's still a work in progress, and my full regimen isn't up yet. But check back!)

#8 cherry609

cherry609

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Well, the first three months were horrible for me.

#9 MG86

MG86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (jasher @ Mar 29 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just want to correct something mentioned in this thread...

MG86: marijuana won't hurt your acne in any way, nor will it react with accutane. The only link ever possibly observed was when, during "reefer madness", biased scientists said that marijuana decreased testosterone levels in men. First off, that would help with acne. Secondly, that was junk science that has since been disproved.

for anyone wondering if i'm just a stoner trying to stand up for weed -- i wrote the book on it. literally.

and i'm not sure about alcohol, but as it's a toxin it could well have a very negative effect... alcohol is pretty unhealthy.

Uhmmm I don't know where your sources of information are coming from but the canabinoids in marijuana decrease then INCREASE your testosterone levels, go check out the University of British Columbia's study on it. Its a recent study done with in the past year. You may of wrote the book but I carved it in stone long before paper existed.
Don't waste money on cheap acne treatments that don't work. If it worked - it wouldn't be cheap.

#10 SunshineGirl84

SunshineGirl84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

Ok guys thanks for all your input.

I have an update, i am almost done with week 4 now, and i woke up this morning with a few WHITE HEADS eusa_hand.gif on my chin. also, here has been a painful "below the surface" pimple growing under my chin (is that a "cyst"?) that I have been watching grow this week and it is finally growing to fruition. I suppose there was nothing really i could do about that one, besides NOT touch underneath my chin. I have NEVER had a zit that low before.

Is this normal for week 4?!

I am talking about brand new white heads and "beneath the surface"/PAINFUL zits.....

people, share your war stories...

#11 eXit

eXit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (SunshineGirl84 @ Mar 25 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It makes it worse before better because it pulls all the acne from below the skin to the surface and since it makes your face so dry it kills the bacteria due to the bacteria needing moisture.

#12 PokerFace

PokerFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

Day 131, 1-2 new spots every day since the start, very discouraged, angry, and depressed. I guess I'm just one of those rare cases...
He conquers who endures

#13 Raja_a

Raja_a

visky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

I think one reason for your skin to have an IB is the fact that while you start accutane you will be stopping your previous regimen that was controlling your acne to a certain extent.

So the transitional phase between halting your previous regimen and the time needed for accutane to kick in will be the phase where you will encounter an IB. I assume this is one of the several reasons behind the IB.
Gallery 1 month into Roaccutane:http://www.acne.org/...p...i&img=28265

#14 john35

john35

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Raja_a @ Apr 7 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think one reason for your skin to have an IB is the fact that while you start accutane you will be stopping your previous regimen that was controlling your acne to a certain extent.

So the transitional phase between halting your previous regimen and the time needed for accutane to kick in will be the phase where you will encounter an IB. I assume this is one of the several reasons behind the IB.

That's what I was thinking...I'm on day 10 with a REALLY bad breakout, but I'm not sure if it's the breakout for the accutane pulling up all the bacteria, or a breakout from not having Differin stop it anymore. I'll hope it's just the accutane. My breakout is pretty darn bad, so hopefully this is a blessing in disguise and it means accutane is doing its job very well and my breakout will be over soon! *prays*

#15 justbangin

justbangin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hey im starting accutane in 3 days im excited and some what worried in a way because i really dont want my acne to get worse does it always have to get worse because last 4 months my acne was so bad that not even 1 single pimple fit on my cheek now i have scars a few lil pimples but not much any advice ?

#16 dannym

dannym

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

I broke out all throughout my course. 60mg a day. I completed my 5 month course but it was extended due to breakouts. I broke out for 10 months before I saw positive results.

Danny

#17 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (dannym @ Aug 17 2011, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I broke out all throughout my course. 60mg a day. I completed my 5 month course but it was extended due to breakouts. I broke out for 10 months before I saw positive results.

Danny

did u you scar at all? (indented scars)?

#18 MC2

MC2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I am on my second about to be third week of taking accutane. Just recently my skin began to breakout more than usual. The breakout isn't horrible, but a numerous amount (approx. 5) of new pimples have come to the surface.

My dermatologist told me this was very common that MANY accutane users encounter a period where your skin begins to get worse before it gets better. I guess this is that period. It honestly sucks and I wish the medication could start working immediately, but i'm hoping and wishing for the best results in the end.