Photo

Adult Female Neck/Jawline Cystic Acne

cortisone depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi Guys

Basically as the topic title states I have Neck/Jawline cysts... also not sure whether I'm suffering from Hirsuitism, hard to tell if it's that or I'm just suffering due to light skin tone versus darker hair colouring...

My Doctor has ordered some blood tests, thyroid + hormones etc - which I should get the results for next week, hopefully show if there is anything underlying causing my problem.

After a visit to the derm last week I had a couple of the cysts injected with hydrocortisone?, I've been re-prescribed Isotretinion again after a fairly successful course a year ago... not sure whether I'm glad about this or not....

is this not just treating the symptom and not the underlying cause?

the way I see it I have 2, maybe 3 options....

1: Roaccutane - will treat the symptoms, prevent further scarring but might cause depression (suffered with it in the past).

2: Progesterone Birth Control pill - which potentially (although I've never tried it) could even out my hormones and thus prevent cyclic acne cysts...

3: some combination of the 2 or some anti-biotic...

I'm scared of taking all these meds, but I just want my acne to be over with, I suffered with teen acne (t-zone, whiteheads, blackheads etc) and now in my 20's I'm going through it all again just in a different area of my face.

Also the birth control pills mimic the effects of pregnancy ? is that right? just that during my pregnancy I had Malasma? on my t-zone area with inflamed acne, not sure if that was a bi-product of the pregnancy or just the fact that I was taken off all anti-biotics until the birth.....

sorry for the long post.... thanks if you read this far...

peace & love x

p.s.

If you're suffering from a similar problem, I'd love to hear from you, perhaps we could compare notes smile.gif

#2 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

Another day, another cyst... the box of Isotret is staring at me from my desk, still holding off until I get the blood test results...

Received an appointment letter for an ultrasound so hopefully find out one way or another if I've some endocrin./pcos problem... ultrasound is on Sunday morning - will keep you posted.

I've been using Fucidin H recently which seems to calm the inflamation somewhat, but the underlying cyst is still there, had 4 injected last week (very painful)....

Going to get some peppermint/spearmint tea which I heard can help hirsuitism and perhaps the spots on my neck, also read that stress can affect this area quite badly with acne

interesting considering one of the cysts is close to the pulse point in my neck, perhaps cortisol is leaking from my blood supply into the surrounding skin area?....

hmm so many possibilities...I'm totally sick of having acne, anyone else hate the fact it takes them an hour to get ready with make up before being able to leave the house?

even when I do this I still feel uncomfortable within my own "skin" like people are either looking at me because of the acne or because of the ton of "war-paint"....

#3 happyexceptforacne

happyexceptforacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 48
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (sugababe @ Mar 26 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another day, another cyst... the box of Isotret is staring at me from my desk, still holding off until I get the blood test results...

Received an appointment letter for an ultrasound so hopefully find out one way or another if I've some endocrin./pcos problem... ultrasound is on Sunday morning - will keep you posted.

I've been using Fucidin H recently which seems to calm the inflamation somewhat, but the underlying cyst is still there, had 4 injected last week (very painful)....

Going to get some peppermint/spearmint tea which I heard can help hirsuitism and perhaps the spots on my neck, also read that stress can affect this area quite badly with acne

interesting considering one of the cysts is close to the pulse point in my neck, perhaps cortisol is leaking from my blood supply into the surrounding skin area?....

hmm so many possibilities...I'm totally sick of having acne, anyone else hate the fact it takes them an hour to get ready with make up before being able to leave the house?

even when I do this I still feel uncomfortable within my own "skin" like people are either looking at me because of the acne or because of the ton of "war-paint"....

#4 happyexceptforacne

happyexceptforacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 48
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

I *totally* hear you. I have the same kind of acne, hardly anything below my noseline. Even if it is hormonal, I am already on birth control (which doesn't help with my acne) so they tell me I would be prescribed Accutane either way.

Your words on having to put on so much makeup really struck me. Every day I go to the mirror to slather on foundation and concealer, which I hate. I feel like if anyone saw what was under all this makeup, their opinion of me would totally change. They don't know how bad it is under all the concealer - not that the concealer looks great either.

Know that I feel your pain!

#5 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

I have jawline cystic acne too, hormonal like yours. You can see my current regimen in my sig. I've only been on it for a week, so I'm still very optimistic. Let's see how I'm feeling in 8 weeks if I still have acne! lol.gif

Feel free to ask me any questions and commiserate.

#6 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (happyexceptforacne @ Mar 27 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I *totally* hear you. I have the same kind of acne, hardly anything below my noseline. Even if it is hormonal, I am already on birth control (which doesn't help with my acne) so they tell me I would be prescribed Accutane either way.

Your words on having to put on so much makeup really struck me. Every day I go to the mirror to slather on foundation and concealer, which I hate. I feel like if anyone saw what was under all this makeup, their opinion of me would totally change. They don't know how bad it is under all the concealer - not that the concealer looks great either.

Know that I feel your pain!

When you say you have hardly anything below your noseline... where do you get acne worst? Mine is a total nightmare at present, either sides of neck, left wearing rollnecks and scarves... probably don't help the situation but then again neither does the ton of foundation :S hmmm...

although I use non comedogenic stuff I'm still dubious and I hate the fact I either look like casper or like one of the oompa loompas (orange) :S....

i've noticed that most foundations are labelled non comedo but concealers aren't so am lessening my usage of them and trying to grin and bear it....

it's an awful situation to be in, but at least we all have eachother for support smile.gif

QUOTE (merf @ Mar 27 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have jawline cystic acne too, hormonal like yours. You can see my current regimen in my sig. I've only been on it for a week, so I'm still very optimistic. Let's see how I'm feeling in 8 weeks if I still have acne! lol.gif

Hi Merf

thanks for the message - was just wondering how old you are and when you first started suffering etc... It would be nice to know how you get on with your new regimen smile.gif...

#7 HolisticJane

HolisticJane

Why yes, Redheads are Evil..Bwahahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I feel your pain. I've had hormonal acne for so long, I'm just sick of it. I went to the Derm today and got some new meds. I've already been on Doxyclycline for 3 weeks and I'm just now starting to see results. The bad thing about prescription products is that they take tme to work. 8-12 weeks and sometimes longer. Most of us don't have the patience to let them do there thing. This time I'm giving all these products 12 weeks before doing some tweaking.

One thing you have not mentioned is Spirolactone. Back in the 90's I took it with great success along with Glugophage to regulate insulin (But I was not a diabetic, it was just for Polycystic Ovary Disease). I also stuck to a lower Carbohydrate diet and drank tons of water (almost a gallon a day). I had clear skin for a long time with jsut doing those things. But after my pregnancy my acne came back full force and my Cystic ovaries were worse than ever.

So now I'm on Doxy, Differin Gel, Clindamyacin Gel and using a BP Wash on my face. It's drying but nothing that a good moisturizer can't help you with. I'm also wondering about the comediegenic factor of concealers. they do make healing concealers with acne meds in them. Lately I've been using tinted bp cream. Also drying, but what can you do? I wish I didn't have to wear makeup at all. I hope to get to that point. I'm 35 and hope by the time menopause comes around all this stuff will go away. I'm considering a uterine ablation and removal of ovaries only. I can't have anymore kid anyway, so it's something I'm considering. It has a toll on you over time, it doesn't get better.

Still tied to the Eve.....damn her for taking that apple.

#8 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (HolisticJane @ Mar 27 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel your pain. I've had hormonal acne for so long, I'm just sick of it. I went to the Derm today and got some new meds. I've already been on Doxyclycline for 3 weeks and I'm just now starting to see results. The bad thing about prescription products is that they take tme to work. 8-12 weeks and sometimes longer. Most of us don't have the patience to let them do there thing. This time I'm giving all these products 12 weeks before doing some tweaking.

One thing you have not mentioned is Spirolactone. Back in the 90's I took it with great success along with Glugophage to regulate insulin (But I was not a diabetic, it was just for Polycystic Ovary Disease). I also stuck to a lower Carbohydrate diet and drank tons of water (almost a gallon a day). I had clear skin for a long time with jsut doing those things. But after my pregnancy my acne came back full force and my Cystic ovaries were worse than ever.

So now I'm on Doxy, Differin Gel, Clindamyacin Gel and using a BP Wash on my face. It's drying but nothing that a good moisturizer can't help you with. I'm also wondering about the comediegenic factor of concealers. they do make healing concealers with acne meds in them. Lately I've been using tinted bp cream. Also drying, but what can you do? I wish I didn't have to wear makeup at all. I hope to get to that point. I'm 35 and hope by the time menopause comes around all this stuff will go away. I'm considering a uterine ablation and removal of ovaries only. I can't have anymore kid anyway, so it's something I'm considering. It has a toll on you over time, it doesn't get better.

Hi Jane

Sorry to hear that you have similar problems, but at least we're all in the same boat, I dont know about you, but it really helps to speak to people who genuinely understand and I think we all know that really unless you've experienced this problem first-hand it's impossible to truly understand what we're all going through...

with regards to spiro - I haven't heard of this being prescribed by my derm (I'm in the UK).. I will look into it though, to be honest I'm quite worried about exposing my body to anymore chemicals, tinted BP cream sounds good though - who is it made by?

Last few days I've been drinking prune juice (I know it sounds foul, but really it's quite palatable)...by sunraysia 100% prune juice I keep it really chilled and mix it 5 parts to 1 part water and my skin seems actually quite calm.... also been taking a little more exercise (was leading quite a sedentary life before hand) and getting proper nights sleep (used to burn the candle at both ends)....aside from that I'm trying to cut my stress levels as I'm sure this is a major factor....

now I'm just waiting to see if it IS PCOS or something else... smile.gif will keep you all informed.

#9 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (sugababe @ Mar 27 2008, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (merf @ Mar 27 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Merf

thanks for the message - was just wondering how old you are and when you first started suffering etc... It would be nice to know how you get on with your new regimen smile.gif...

I am a few days away from 33 years old. I have had acne since I was a young teenager. I was on the pill all through high school and college which helped, but I remember constantly going to the derm for new antibiotics, creams, Retin-A, cleocin-T, blah blah blah. After college I went off the pill and that's when it became cystic and I went on Accutane. Accutane plus being back on the pill kept me clear from age 24 to 31, at which point I went off the pill and had a baby. Cystic acne returned. So here I am, 33 years old, doing the exact same shit I did at 24. Bah humbug!

QUOTE (HolisticJane @ Mar 27 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bad thing about prescription products is that they take tme to work. 8-12 weeks and sometimes longer. Most of us don't have the patience to let them do there thing. This time I'm giving all these products 12 weeks before doing some tweaking.

Jane, I have made the exact same vow with my new regimen. I am committed to staying on this regimen for a full 3 months before changing anything. That goes for my cleansing as well as my treatment regimen.

QUOTE (HolisticJane @ Mar 27 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen, sister! lol.gif

#10 kady75

kady75

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

I woke up this morning with a cyst on the side of my chin. Hormonal? I guess I am a couple days away from being 33 years old as well and would have thought I would know what I was doing skin wise by now.

Of course I have an all day conference tomorrow and will be looking like this. I am so annoyed! Cystic acne is the worst!!!!!!

#11 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (kady75 @ Mar 28 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I woke up this morning with a cyst on the side of my chin. Hormonal? I guess I am a couple days away from being 33 years old as well and would have thought I would know what I was doing skin wise by now.

Of course I have an all day conference tomorrow and will be looking like this. I am so annoyed! Cystic acne is the worst!!!!!!

I'm a week away from 33 -- go us! eusa_dance.gif

Well, except that we still have acne. eusa_boohoo.gif

#12 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Wasn't able to make it to the ultrasound at the weekend as we've had illness in the family....

Saw my family doctor today...

Diabetes tests have come back normal, spoke to my doctor today and she basically gave me panoxyl wash just because I asked for it....

getting a little annoyed with doctors, although it's great that they're compliant, I wish they would use some of the expertise they have to give me proper advise as to what i'm using, rather than just prescribing what I ask for based on my own research....

I also mentioned to her about the PCOS tests and my reluctance to use Roaccutane after depressive episodes last course of treatment, she then mentioned spirolactone? and metformin? both used in diabetes and sometimes pcos/acne without depression as a side effect.

She said that both Roaccutane and Diannette can cause depression/low mood.....

The hormone tests weren't back yet, so I have to chase them up tomorrow.... back to the drawing board if they come back normal....

I looked in my local Holland and Barrett store at Saw Palmetto, Milk Thistle and Flaxseed oil, I was amazed at how expensive these things were... can anyone advise of anywhere cheaper but without any lack of product quality?

#13 HolisticJane

HolisticJane

Why yes, Redheads are Evil..Bwahahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (merf @ Mar 28 2008, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful with Saw Palmetto. It made my condition way worse in a short period of time. It should only be used if you have high testosterone levels and even then, not everyday.

I found that Black Cohosh, Vitamin C and Vitex work the best for PCOS. Also cutting back on refined sugars and processed foods can help your overall condition.

When my PCOS was first diagnosed it was not too bad. It can get progressively worse over time, at least until you hit menopause. My Endocrinologist told me that Menopause is the only cure for PCOS.

BTW, those internal ultrasounds can hurt, take a pain pill before hand. I haven't had one in about 4 years, so I'm due for another one and dreading it...

#14 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (HolisticJane @ Mar 31 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (merf @ Mar 28 2008, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful with Saw Palmetto. It made my condition way worse in a short period of time. It should only be used if you have high testosterone levels and even then, not everyday.

I found that Black Cohosh, Vitamin C and Vitex work the best for PCOS. Also cutting back on refined sugars and processed foods can help your overall condition.

When my PCOS was first diagnosed it was not too bad. It can get progressively worse over time, at least until you hit menopause. My Endocrinologist told me that Menopause is the only cure for PCOS.

BTW, those internal ultrasounds can hurt, take a pain pill before hand. I haven't had one in about 4 years, so I'm due for another one and dreading it...

I'm working on general health type stuff first, just got back from the store having bought - Zinc, Vit C, St. John's Wort, Evening Primrose Oil and Milk Thistle...

Do you think it's worth buying Saw Palmetto before a definite PCOS diagnosis?

I didn't realise the ultrasound would be internal, is this really necessary? are you sure it'd wouldn't just be a usual abdominal ultrasound?

#15 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'm back

acne's worse - total mass cyst break out on neck beneath jaw

I wish the ground would open up and swallow me whole, the isotret is staring at me again, I really don't know what to do

Life sucks

#16 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (sugababe @ Apr 10 2008, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm back

acne's worse - total mass cyst break out on neck beneath jaw

I wish the ground would open up and swallow me whole, the isotret is staring at me again, I really don't know what to do

Life sucks

3 days ago I bit the bullet and began the isotret treatment, i couldn't take it anymore, a face and neck full of painful inflammed cystic acne lesions. I know it's not the greatest idea in the world given my history of depression, but I've informed my nearest and dearest so they're keeping an eye on me.

So far I'm also using fucidin h to try and help the inflammation and any possible infection, aside from that - it's been 3 days - no further incidences but no signs of the current lesions disappearing (early days)...

I'll keep you posted, I've taken "before" pictures, all being well I'll have some decent "after" pictures to post for comparison after the 4 months smile.gif

tc x

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

Consider allergies. I'm allergic to citrus and lemons and limes cause jawline and neck cysts.

#18 Sixx

Sixx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

ohhh I feel your pain!
I used to get THE worst acne on my chin and jawline, sometimes the forehead.
I tried EVERYTHING including antibiotics.
Started taking a probiotic religiously and I use the Dan's BP gel every night after I wash my face and Im 100% clear now.
But, it did take some time for everything to work...almost gave up, but kept plugging along and finally, success!
I've been clear for a good 7-8 months now =)
But, I cant stop the gel, or I'll break out again. But, I can handle that, its inexpensive enough!

I hope you find something that clicks for you =)

#19 morgan1134

morgan1134

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Hello!

I too feel your pain. I just turned 40 and have had acne since 13. I'm exhausted from it to say the least. Most recently, it's has been concentrated along my jawline and sides of my neck. Like most of us, I've tried it all from Accutane to Proactive, antibiotics, etc. etc.

About a month ago, however, I was reading some of the message boards and came across some info on Milk Thistle and how it cleanses the liver and can improve acne. After some research, I purchased a bottle of Liver Cleanse capsules at the vitamin store that not only contain Milk Thistle, but some other beneficial ingredients (i.e. dandelion root, tumeric, etc.) I also want to add that I was taking Spironolactone at the time, but had seen no improvement from that. I can honestly say, that the Liver Cleanse has helped tremendously. I don't have the eruptions that I had before, the painful red outbreaks. If I do have anything, it's usually very small. I have also learned that sugar is my worst enemy, so keeping away from it and taking the liver cleanse has worked well. I also STOPPED taking the spiro a couple of weeks ago and my skin improved even more. I know many others love the spiro, but it was a non-factor for me. I hope this helps a little. After taking this, I'm a believer that the liver is an integral part in keeping our skin healthy and sometimes it's just not getting rid of the toxins like it should. Good luck!! I hope wish you the best!

OH! One more thing about the liver cleanse. You ONLY take a course (bottle) of it about once every 3-4 months. If you take it indefinitely, it can have harmful effects.

#20 sugababe

sugababe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (morgan1134 @ Apr 14 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello!

I too feel your pain. I just turned 40 and have had acne since 13. I'm exhausted from it to say the least. Most recently, it's has been concentrated along my jawline and sides of my neck. Like most of us, I've tried it all from Accutane to Proactive, antibiotics, etc. etc.

About a month ago, however, I was reading some of the message boards and came across some info on Milk Thistle and how it cleanses the liver and can improve acne. After some research, I purchased a bottle of Liver Cleanse capsules at the vitamin store that not only contain Milk Thistle, but some other beneficial ingredients (i.e. dandelion root, tumeric, etc.) I also want to add that I was taking Spironolactone at the time, but had seen no improvement from that. I can honestly say, that the Liver Cleanse has helped tremendously. I don't have the eruptions that I had before, the painful red outbreaks. If I do have anything, it's usually very small. I have also learned that sugar is my worst enemy, so keeping away from it and taking the liver cleanse has worked well. I also STOPPED taking the spiro a couple of weeks ago and my skin improved even more. I know many others love the spiro, but it was a non-factor for me. I hope this helps a little. After taking this, I'm a believer that the liver is an integral part in keeping our skin healthy and sometimes it's just not getting rid of the toxins like it should. Good luck!! I hope wish you the best!

OH! One more thing about the liver cleanse. You ONLY take a course (bottle) of it about once every 3-4 months. If you take it indefinitely, it can have harmful effects.

Unfortunately I tried BP and it really made me break out :s big painful cysts, not sure if they'd been due anyway, but the BP really aggravated them...

now I'm back on the Accutane - everyone has advised me not to, but I just feel so lost as to what to do.

Been back on the tane for a week now, feeling low but I think that's just because I feel so isolated and alone.

Sorry I can't be more upbeat at the moment

S x