This topic is archived.
7 replies to this topic

#1 dura-luxe

dura-luxe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hi everyone. I've been following the threads on soluble fiber and insulin resistance and find it fascinating. It makes sense, because I have hypoglycemia and my hormones have been totally screwed up since I was 18!

Right now, I'm taking my fiber two hours before or after I take other supplements.

Does this sound right?

And I am under the impression that you should take it with your meal, but I'm nervous about it binding with the nutrients in my food.

My supplement is "Yerba Prima" brand Soluable Fiber Caps. It contains:

Psylium seed husks
Acacia gum
Oat bran
Apple fiber
Apple pectin extract

Thanks!

#2 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

I am interested in the response to this question.
A few weeks ago, I went to the emergency room because I was so sick (flu). They ran a series of tests on me just to be safe (testing me for diabetes, etc). The doctor said everything came back normal... except that he noticed my triglyseride levels were higher than normal.
He said he shouldn't have even mentioned my triglyceride levels because it doesnt signify anything.

I just read that higher than normal triglyceride levels indicate insulin resistance/insensivity.

And my acne has been out of control for 12 years. I wouldnt have even learned this... if the doctor hadn't mumbled it outloud.

#3 dura-luxe

dura-luxe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hi Dotty. Lucky for you to have a mumbling doctor!

I take a supplement called "Sugar Control" (not the Ultra Sugar Control, though which is for diabetics) because it has chromium in it. Chromium is great for regulating this stuff.

And, like I said, right now, I'm taking fiber supplements two hours before or after my other supplements, in the hopes that it will bind to my hormones and prevent them from being reabsorbed.

#4 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Just try and take the fiber with your least mineral-rich meal of the day.

#5 natural girl

natural girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi there,

where do you buy your sugar control supplement and is it helping?

#6 dura-luxe

dura-luxe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

I buy it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but they also carry it at most health food stores I've been to. Really, it's the chromium that's most important. Chromium definitely helps my blood sugar.

I've decided to stop taking the fiber, though. I really am too freaked out about it "blocking" my nutrients and therefore undoing the good that any supplements or food would be doing.

#7 BarryAllen

BarryAllen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:30 AM

I had the same concern, but in all the reading I've done on it and research it doesn't really have a huge negative effect. I take mine a few hours after meals, but I also make sure to drink a lot of water (usually 3-4 liters a day or more depending) It's helped out my skin tremendously, try it and see if you're the same. I'm also changing to taking it twice a day instead of once, I think it'll agree with me more. Good luck.

QUOTE (dura-luxe @ Mar 27 2008, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I buy it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but they also carry it at most health food stores I've been to. Really, it's the chromium that's most important. Chromium definitely helps my blood sugar.

I've decided to stop taking the fiber, though. I really am too freaked out about it "blocking" my nutrients and therefore undoing the good that any supplements or food would be doing.

#8 chrisaus

chrisaus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 25 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just try and take the fiber with your least mineral-rich meal of the day.

This is the post of the thread. I am one of the most enthusiatic fiber endorsers so i know my stuff and I know this post is where it's at. sidenote: replace the word fiber with pgx and you will make extreme progress.