Photo

Moisturize before applying Differin?

retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

My derm recommended that in the evening I cleanse my face, immediately apply moisturizer, then immediately apply Differin. It seems most people moisturize first, and they recommend waiting 30 min before applying Differin. I like my derm's idea better as it takes less time, but obviously I want to do what works. If it makes a difference, my moisturizer is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel.

Advice?

Thanks!
My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

#2 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

I would think that the moisturizer (unless it is a water based moisturizer) would prevent the Differin from absorbing properly. I would ask your derm the reason for the regimen that was given to you.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#3 missy0202

missy0202

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

yeah i'm not too sure why your derm told you to do that. I wash my face, apply my retin-a micro ,and then moisturize 30 minutes later. my derm tells me wait 30 mins after washing my face to apply my retin a so maybe thats what u should do

#4 HolisticJane

HolisticJane

Why yes, Redheads are Evil..Bwahahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hey Merf,

Applying over moisturizer is probably a good idea to prevent too much irritation and redness at first. My doc told me to mix it with my moisturizer instead of applying directly. When I tried it years back it irritated the heck out of my skin and I gave up on it. So this time moisturize, then apply differin or mix the two together. I'm getting the same effects. Already got the peeling going after two applications, so that's good. But this time I'm not sore as heck or red, just peely.

I say if it's working this way, to continue to put it on after the moisturizer. If your results are less then stellar try differin first then moisturizer. I know all this can be confusing. I know I'm pretty muh using the same stuff you are and we both started around the same time (I think I've been on doxy 3 extra weeks). I'm interested in seeing our results over time. I do know that the Doxy made me purge bigtime. But it's calming down and doesn't stick around too long. The cystic stuff is drying up. I think the Clindagel may have something to do with that, differin can make you purge too, so keep that in mind. things may get worse befoe they get better.
Jane, age 36
(Follicular/Hormonal Acne Sufferer for 16 Years) PCOS

Day and Night:
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser w/ Microfiber cloth
Clinique Repairwear for eyes
Olay Regenerist Fragrance Free, Wait 10 minutes
Pea Sized amount of Tazorac .01%
Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid
Aquaphor on lips and spots for healing

200 mg of Doxycycline a day

100% Clear as of 12/21/2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supplements: Multi-Vit, Zinc, L-Taurine, B1 (thiamine), Flush Free Niacin, Fish Oil w/Omega 3, 4000 mg of Vitamin C. Limited Dairy, no soda, no red meat, no pork, Organic Die

#5 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (HolisticJane @ Apr 1 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Merf,

Applying over moisturizer is probably a good idea to prevent too much irritation and redness at first. My doc told me to mix it with my moisturizer instead of applying directly. When I tried it years back it irritated the heck out of my skin and I gave up on it. So this time moisturize, then apply differin or mix the two together. I'm getting the same effects. Already got the peeling going after two applications, so that's good. But this time I'm not sore as heck or red, just peely.

I say if it's working this way, to continue to put it on after the moisturizer. If your results are less then stellar try differin first then moisturizer. I know all this can be confusing. I know I'm pretty muh using the same stuff you are and we both started around the same time (I think I've been on doxy 3 extra weeks). I'm interested in seeing our results over time. I do know that the Doxy made me purge bigtime. But it's calming down and doesn't stick around too long. The cystic stuff is drying up. I think the Clindagel may have something to do with that, differin can make you purge too, so keep that in mind. things may get worse befoe they get better.

Thanks, Jane. Last night I actually put the Differin on before moisturizer, b/c I don't feel like it's doing anything. I have no peeliness, nothing. Then again, that's probably ideal! Haha. I'm glad to have a buddy on a similar regimen too. Here's hoping we get clear skin soon!
My skin is clear. Antibiotics, BP, Differin, and Yaz. Now down to just Differin and Yaz. Soon going to wean off Yaz. Took over 3 months to see much improvement. Less than 6 months since I started and my skin is 100% clear now.

#6 rfeolino

rfeolino

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Moisturizing -_-
Many people in this site, I dunno who to trust. People say you shouldn't moisturize because it's going to negate effects for Differin. And people say you should. I don't know who to trust. But for me, I moisturize. I haven't moisturized in a while so one night I moisturized (30 min. after application of Differin). In the morning, my pimples decreased in size. I don't know if it's luck or if it's working. But yeah, I'm thinking to just moisturize every other day. I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. I heard your not supposed to use moisturizers in cream version but I still do and it works wonders.

#7 kmk4104

kmk4104

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've been on differin for 11 weeks now and I feel like I'm back a day one?? I was breaking out sssooo bad but now it's calmed down a little but I feel like my acne is the exactly same way it was 11 weeks ago??! I'm so confused. I see different reviews about how long it should take....so how long should I wait??? I get very dry from Diffferin so I apply moisturer every night....is that too much??

Confused and losing hope.

kmk4104

#8 chensg

chensg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:20 AM

i am currently on .1% about 2 weeks ago but i realised it really dried my skin, it got so dry that my acne would bleed whenever i wash my face (washing face has been a bitch since i got this crazy breakout of nodules). i thought not moisturising would dry the nodule out faster, but i gave in when i started looking like a flaky lizard of a guy. so aniwais, i started to apply moisturizer and would recommend u do too. nothings worse looking like a flaky lizard imo.

btw, hows differing working out for u guys? currently, it does not seem to be working n in fact i have had more breakouts since. im hoping this is the 'initial breakout' that my doc told me. this has seriously affect my life big time. i am graduating in 3 mths and have to recently reject a job offer this wk just because i really couldnt bring myself to the interview and wanted a bit of personal time to sort this shit out. i know its dumb, but i guess most can comprehend with this feeling that i am feeling. this is my worse break-out ever period..

Edited by chensg, 04 April 2011 - 04:21 AM.

Current Regimen: 0.1% Differin daily before bedtime.

Accutane (started April 13 2011): 1st Month: 10mg/day, 2nd Month: 20mg/day, 3rd Month: 30 mg/day, 4th Month - Present: 40 mg/day

Food:
Trying to cut down on fried food. Lots of water.

Supplements: Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar.

Face Wash: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (Max 3x/day) + NIVEA Men Oil Control Moisturizer post-wash + Apple Cider Vinegar Toner + Baking Soda Mask on alternate days

Lifestyle: Works out 2x a week. Bedtime before 1am. 8 Hrs of sleep.

Vist my Accutane Log/Journal!

I don't ask for much, but i just want to wake up in the mirror and see a clear faced me. That hasn't happen for the past 11 years

#9 jspartan

jspartan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (kmk4104 @ Mar 29 2011, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been on differin for 11 weeks now and I feel like I'm back a day one?? I was breaking out sssooo bad but now it's calmed down a little but I feel like my acne is the exactly same way it was 11 weeks ago??! I'm so confused. I see different reviews about how long it should take....so how long should I wait??? I get very dry from Diffferin so I apply moisturer every night....is that too much??

Confused and losing hope.

kmk4104

To start out, as a physician who is currently in dermatology residency, I cannot give complete accurate advice without have actually assessed you myself. However, I do notice some oddities in your regimen. Are you still currently taking Accutane (Isotretinoin)? In general, one is supposed to discontinue taking Accutane after six months but up to a year if it is needed. If Accutane didn't deliver results you are looking for, there are second means of assessment. However, I would ask your doctor when he plans on discontinuing your Accutane. Not only would discontinuance lead to a lesser drying of the skin as well as irritation, it will save you blood tests and chances of liver toxicity.

After discontinuing Accutane, I would advise you to step down or apply less of drying medications, but don't discontinue them. ONLY WASH YOUR FACE TWICE DAILY. Washing your face more than twice daily actually can make acne worse by irritating the skin and disturbing the natural sebum (oil) that your body uses to protect itself from bacteria on the skin. The combination of antibiotics and a topical retinoid are quite impressive, generally, after three months. Switch to sensitive skin products and face washes, and if you can switch to a face wash that is indicated for dry skin, do so that way you can continue applying Differin every night to increase its effectiveness. Also, wait to apply Differin 30 minutes after showering. Wet skin readily accepts moister as well as medications, which can lead to increased irritation. Then, after applying Differin after your 30 minute wait after the shower, follow up with a noncomedogenic moisturizer. The Dermatologists I am under, and myself, have seen through experience and through studies, that some oils found in moisturizers such as Sweet Almond Oil in Cetaphil products, do not increase instances of acne breakouts. Mild face washes, lotion at night (applied how I directed) and light moisturizer in the day time with a sunscreen with your Differin and Oral Antibiotic should give you good results in three months. Be patient. Don't pick and soon, you will look just how you would want.

Also, I don't know if I understand that you started Accutane last year or just recently. If so, then I wouldn't advise you as my patient to take Differin with it because of increased excessive dryness. I don't know if I read it correctly.

Keep your chin up and never be afraid to ask your Dermatologist a 1000 questions, that's what we are paid for. Also, don't be afraid to get second opinions. Sometimes another person may notice something your long term dermatologist wouldn't.

Best of Luck

Edited by jspartan, 20 April 2011 - 07:58 PM.