Photo

How successful is Microdermabrasion?

dermabrasion microdermabrasion red mark ocd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheseWordsAreMyOwN

TheseWordsAreMyOwN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

I've suffered with acne for a good 4 years now, I am 19 this July. I suffer with acne on my face, chest, back and backs of my upper legs.

I have new spots appear on a daily basis and as a result have red marks and scars covering most of my body. It is not very pleasant. I have been under a dermatologist for well over 2 years and everything that have prescribed me has had little or no effect at all. This includes oral and topical treatments.

Unfortunately I am unable to go on Roaccutane since I suffer from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). The medication I take for that could cause serious mental health problems if taken with Roaccutane. So that is a no go area.

Last year I decided to have 6 treatments of Microdermabrasion on my face at a skin clinic. I found the treatment quick and painless and the best treatment I have had. Microdermabrasion is not available on the NHS so I had to pay £300 for my six sessions.

I can confidently say that the scars and red marks on my face were reduced (less visible) by about 75%. I would also say that I had about 75% less new spots appear.

Due to the cost of Microdermabrasion I could not afford to have any further treatments after my six were up. After several weeks things slowly began to slip back to the way they were so from my personal experience Microdermabrasion is a treatment which needs to be done on a regular basis for continued results.

I know Microdermabrasion can be done on almost any part of the body. It is something which I am still very interested in.

I am keen to know if you have had microdermabrasion and how successful it was for you?

Please post a reply and let me know! From what I have heard so far, the results can vary so much from person to person.

Darren

#2 PokerFace

PokerFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

I had three treatments done with no results so I stopped. I didn't have my acne under control either so the sand blasting would just aggravate my spots and make them larger. I'm on Accutane now, so maybe I'll try it again in November (six months after my course concludes).

Lesson learned: Don't treat scars while you still have active pimples.

#3 SC4R F4C3

SC4R F4C3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

i have never heard of a single person having reduced acne scarring from microdermabrasion, it only helps reduce red marks

#4 gt_stang_2006

gt_stang_2006

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (SC4R F4C3 @ Mar 23 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have never heard of a single person having reduced acne scarring from microdermabrasion, it only helps reduce red marks

THis guy obviously does not know what the hell he is talking about. Microdermabrasion will definitely help with acne scars if they are not too deep.

#5 PokerFace

PokerFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (gt_stang_2006 @ Mar 23 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SC4R F4C3 @ Mar 23 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THis guy obviously does not know what the hell he is talking about. Microdermabrasion will definitely help with acne scars if they are not too deep.

You must be prepared for several treatments though (6-10) before you notice results.

#6 canadagirl

canadagirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

i did about 5 treatments and it actually made my skin alot worse. i regret it so bad, wasted so much money.

#7 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

I love it!

When I was clear of active acne a few years ago, microdermabrasion helped smooth my skin and shallow scarring.

I am now saving up for another microdermabrasion session to help remove new scars and bumps.

#8 bug

bug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

i had 12 or 13 microderms done. it didn't help one bit of my scars. my derm specifically pointed out some very shallow scarring on my face (you wouldnt even notice them in normal lighting) and i was told it'd "work wonders for them". i'm not calling her a liar, but she was wrong either way.

#9 s500

s500

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:31 AM

Microderm wont do anything for smallest of scars, no matter how aggressive the machine. Its great for hyperpigmentation thats about it.

It will and can make existing scars look worse, I had this happen to me with the power peel, a very agressive machine. What I noticed is after the microdermabrasion, the scars returned to their original state as when they were first developed. Meaning, all and any collagen that filled the scar thru out its life, was wiped out in a 10 minute session, making the scar look new and the crater bigger.
This was discussed years ago on this forum when the powerpeel was at its peak. Keep in mind dermabrasion at times doesnt erradicate small scars, dont expect anything from microdermabrasion other then less discolorations.

#10 Ciara

Ciara

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I had microdermabrasion treatments done every 2 weeks for 2 years with no results...so save your money!!

#11 sunkisses23

sunkisses23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

I have been getting Microndermabrasion for awhile now, and it all depends on who is doing the job and they oviously have to know your skin. Some peopl's skin is thicker while others is thinner. Basically the first time you have it they will go easy to see how your skin reacts, they will increase with time. It helped alot for the overall texture my skin, and my mild acne. However I told the estitian to increase the setting, and i guess my skin was to thin, and it actually brough out all my ance scars, which you coudln't even see before...more visible...i was relaly pissed...so be careful. Microdermisbraion only takes off a very fine layer of your skin.....but if you have thin skin...your scars will be lifted. Same as with laser treatment....I have heard alot about frexel and CO2 treatment, and i woudl never recommend it for anyone who has thin skin....you will end up with even worse scars......you people really need to do your research before choosing what you think is going to be the best treament because alot of those procedures will only work for people with thick skin and can rejuvenate itself without damaging skin cell.....if your thinking about doing the frexel or laser treaments it goes right to the dermis which is very dangerous if not done correctly....i woudl never let anyone touch my skin unless i knew them really well so please please please except yourself as you are...and if you can't and have to resort to that laser resuracing crap you better be firmilar with your doctor and surgeon because they can really do damgae to you skin...................everyone's skin is differnt so just because laser resurfacing worked for someone else, does not mean it will work for you...also keep this in mind 80% not effective.... that is something to think about

#12 sunkisses23

sunkisses23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

I was wondering if you guys knew if you can only see scars in bright lighting? Sometimes i can see my scars and sometimes i can't......can everyone else see them all the time, or does it depend of the lighting? In most mirrors I can't see them but in others i can. whats' the deal haha

#13 pennypal

pennypal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

I had three microdermabrasions about 3 years ago. no results. I say it was a waste of money.

#14 isoflous

isoflous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

I have done 4 treatments to a white raised scar and it's showing improvement.

#15 sesame

sesame

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hi guys,
I've been reading this topic with interest b/c i'm scheduled to get microderm next week. For the people that said it makes the scars look worse- did it gradually go back to "normal" or did the microderm actually permanently make the scars worse? thanks

#16 Amanduhzilla

Amanduhzilla

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

I had about three sessions at $75 US dollars each. It makes you skin feel super smooth and reduces redness, but results only last a day, if that. It did not permanently repair my scars- even the surface scars. It is great if you want to have your skin feel refreshed for a day or two- but don't expect lasting improvement.

#17 Datura

Datura

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:55 AM

I guess theoretically it could help with extremely shallow scarring and hyperpigmentation, but really wouldn't long term use ( like 6 months or longer) of a retinoid or AHA have pretty much the same effect. Plus, it's way cheaper.

#18 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

Edited by Heir, 17 October 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#19 rupertnrupert

rupertnrupert

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

Microdermabrasion is very good for acne scar removal. It is non surgical treatment. I have experience of this treatment and I get too much benefit and prefect result. There are no side effects of this treatment. It is done at upper layer of the skin so much helpful in acne scar removal.

#20 octwind

octwind

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Microdermabrasion for Acne scars is the best treatment for acne scars, this is a general term for the applying of small rough grains to buff away the surface layer of skin which is one of the most reliable Acne scar removal treatments  in the chemical market.