Photo

Medical Site Suggests This Diet to Stop Androgens

fish oil omega-3 green tea low carb low glycemic low-glycemic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Reducing Androgen Production with Natural Methods

A healthy diet, supplementation, exercise, stress management, and quality healthcare will have a profoundly beneficial effect for those who produce excessive androgen and who exibit excessive sebum, oiliness, acne, PCOS, hair loss, excessive body hair (for women) and menstral irregularities.
A thoughtful self-care program will do much to reduce the manifestations of these symptoms:

This type of program is designed to:

Reduce the excess insulin that contributes to increased androgen production .(2)
Help restore normal menstrual cycles and fertility.
Help prevent type 2 diabetes and heart disease.(3)

This program is described below.

Healthy Anti-Androgenic Program:

HEALTHY DIET - FATS. You can improve your diet by choosing the appropriate amounts and types of fat and oils. If you are overweight, you can benefit from consuming less than 25% of total calories as fat. Eating the right kind of fats and oils is very important. Olive oil and fish oil supplements are healthy choices.

We recommend you increase your consumption of omega-3 fats, which is one of the essential fatty acids or EFAs. The word "essential" means they are essential for life and must be obtained from the diet because they are not manufactured inside your body. Omega-3 fats are found in cod liver oil, EPA/DHA capsules, and in fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and mackerel.

We also recommend you eliminate trans-fatty acids from your diet. A trans-fat is an unsaturated liquid oil that has been chemically transformed into a saturated fat so that it will be a solid instead of a liquid. Margarine, which is a solid made from a liquid, is an example of a product containing trans-fats. The problem with trans-fats is that they have been implicated as contributors to heart disease and diabetes. We have every reason to believe they also contribute to androgen problems. In packaged products, you can identify a trans-fat by the word "partially hydrogenated". If you see "partially hydrogenated" on any food product label, we recommend that you not consume that product.

HEALTHY DIET - PROTEIN. The consumption of protein is another complex topic. Some of you are on low carbohydrate diets that emphasize adequate protein. If your protein is land animal protein, it also means you may be eating a high saturated fat diet, because saturated fats are found in most animal protein. A diet high in saturated fat is associated with heart disease and diabetes. It also indirectly alters your hormonal patterns.

Consider animal protein foods that are lower in saturated fat such as fish, non-fat cheese, turkey and chicken. Convenient plant-based proteins are soy and rice protein powders, which are fr*e of saturated fat.

HEALTHY DIET - CARBOHYDRATES. The amount and type of carbohydrate you eat will influence your hormones. A diet high in refined carbohydrates will lead to an excessive insulin response, which in turn can stimulate the androgen production that contributes to hirsutism and other symtpoms of excessive androgen.

You’ve probably heard about "low-glycemic carbohydrates". Carbohydrates (starches and sugars) are found in grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit - and in all manufactured products containing these items. A low-glycemic carbohydrate is one that causes only a small rise in blood sugar, thus avoiding a problem with insulin, which is the hormone that lowers blood sugar.

We favor low glycemic foods. But that’s not the whole story. Especially important is whether the carbohydrate is complex or refined. For example, a rice cracker is a refined carbohydrate. Brown rice is a complex carbohydrate. Not only does brown rice give you better nutrition, it’s also lower on the glycemic index. You will be healthier and have better balance of your hormones if you consume unrefined, complex carbohydrates as opposed to refined carbohydrates. A complex carbohydrate is something you find in nature, not at the end of an assembly line.

And don’t forget that fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and unprocessed nuts and seeds are nutritious sources of essential fats and protein as well as complex carbohydrates.

HEALTHY DIET - FLUIDS. Even what you drink can have an effect on androgen difficulties. For example, studies show that the ingredients in green tea can reduce the effects of testosterone(4).

HEALTHY DIET - CALORIE RESTRICTION. We’ve spoken about the type of foods to eat. But how much should you eat? A very modest level of calories appears to be effective for reducing insulin levels and increasing sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). SHBG is necessary for the control of testosterone. In one small study using a low-calorie, low-fat diet, 40% of hirsute obese women who lost at least 5% of their body weight had a reduction in hirsutism.(5)

However, low-calorie diets are potential gateways to eating disorders and health-devastating failure experiences. Any calorie restricted diet or any other major change in your diet should be done with the support and supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

A healthy diet, as described in detail in The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility, is crucial for correcting the underlying hormonal imbalances that lead to excessive androgen production.
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#2 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

No different than what the FDA keeps saying.
Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#3 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Mar 20 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"We favor low glycemic foods. But that’s not the whole story. Especially important is whether the carbohydrate is complex or refined."

It's certainly not an either/or situation: some carbohydrates are both complex AND refined. Whether or not a carbohydrate is "complex" says nothing at all about its level of refinement.

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Mar 20 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"A complex carbohydrate is something you find in nature, not at the end of an assembly line."

LOL!! To the hack who wrote that quoted material: look up the word "complex" in a dictionary and see if it REALLY fits the meaning you're attempting to force onto it! wink.gif

#4 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Mar 20 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's certainly not an either/or situation: some carbohydrates are both complex AND refined. Whether or not a carbohydrate is "complex" says nothing at all about its level of refinement.

I'm not trying to deny their existence, but could you give some examples of carbohydrates that are both complex and refined?
Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#5 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Crackers. Breakfast cereal. Doritos! smile.gif

#6 kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 20 2008, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bryan @ Mar 20 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not trying to deny their existence, but could you give some examples of carbohydrates that are both complex and refined?

All grains have complex carbohydrates, whether they're refined or not.

#7 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Leah_ @ Mar 20 2008, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All grains have complex carbohydrates, whether they're refined or not.

Indeed. It's a sloppy use of language to take what seems to me to be a pretty unambiguous term like "complex carbohydrate" and try to make it mean "any unrefined, highly nutritious natural food product loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals and fiber"! Why can't people be PRECISE, instead of trying to hijack fairly technical and specific terms and then force them to mean something else?? shock.gif

A "complex carb" obviously properly refers to any polysaccharide; those consist of large numbers of monosaccharide units linked together chemically (which is why they are described as "complex"). Examples would be starch, glycogen, and cellulose.

Potato chips contain PLENTY of complex carbs, as do soda crackers, Doritos, and Twinkies! smile.gif

#8 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the examples. Potato chips I already knew about, they're just potatoes and vegetable oil.

Indeed. It's a sloppy use of language to take what seems to me to be a pretty unambiguous term like "complex carbohydrate" and try to make it mean "any unrefined, highly nutritious natural food product loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals and fiber"! Why can't people be PRECISE, instead of trying to hijack fairly technical and specific terms and then force them to mean something else??

I think people are being pretty precise when they say "complex carb," even if they are using the term somewhat incorrectly. If there's a general consensus that "complex carb" means any carbohydrate-rich, whole, unrefined food, then what's wrong with using the term? Even though potato chips are complex carbs in actuality, they are prepared in a way that they are sapped of a lot of their nutrients. I think of a complex carb as a food that contains not only carbohydrates but other nutrients as well; potato chips and cereal made with refined wheat have a lot these nutrients taken away, thus when you eat them it's like you're eating pure sugar, they don't give you as much of a wide array of nutrients, thus they are more simple, and less "complex," even though by definition they are indeed complex. The removal of fiber from these foods is another reason why they are referred to as simple, because even though they are complex, they are broken down like they are simpler than what they are. (Right?)

#9 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think people are being pretty precise when they say "complex carb," even if they are using the term somewhat incorrectly. If there's a general consensus that "complex carb" means any carbohydrate-rich, whole, unrefined food, then what's wrong with using the term?

I don't know that there's any such general consensus. There certainly isn't in MY house, where the term "complex carb" simply refers to any polysaccharide. Why would anybody want to assign additional baggage to those words? Why not use them in a literal sense? smile.gif