Photo

Is it bad to eat too much avocado?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jen121

Jen121

Jen121

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

I have been eating at least a half an avocado a day in hopes to put on some weight. Does anyone see a potential problem with this?
What I'm using:
Dan's cleanser
Dan's lotion
Tazorac 0.05%

Supplements I'm taking:

Fish oil
Saw palmetto
Taurine
Zinc
Vitamin A/E/D
Yaz bc

What I'm eating:

Paleo Diet AKA Caveman

All fruits, veggies (no potatoes, peas, corn), nuts and seeds (no cashews or peanuts) and protein (fish, chicken, eggs)

Everyday Staples: Apples (i love) Big green salad, carrots, nuts (pecan, almond, or walnut)

Absolutely no: legumes, wheat, grains, dairy, sugar, salt, red meats, or coffee

** SoMeTiMeS YoU HaVe To Go ThrOuGh tHe RaiN tO Get To tHe SuNsHiNe **

#2 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

no, why? smile.gif

avocado is the healthiest fruit you can eat
Disease cannot live in a body that is in a healthy emotional state.‚ÄÉ

#3 Pwndami

Pwndami

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

too much of anything is a bad thing, but I don't think half an avocado is too much.

#4 Breakout Betty

Breakout Betty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Jen121 @ Mar 20 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been eating at least a half an avocado a day in hopes to put on some weight. Does anyone see a potential problem with this?

I would think yes. My qualifier is that too much of anything is not good or better stated can cause an adverse reaction.
For example, too much water consumed in a day can cause water poisioning. Consuming too much fruits and veggies in a day can cause diaherra, or too much of a particular herb, for example sarsaparilla, can cause kidney damage despite that its great for a number of aliments including acne. Therefore the overconsumption of avocado, which is high in Omegas 3 and 6 may possiblely cause an adverse reaction. Especially, if your consuming other foods/beverages high in the same Omegas or more of one than the other then you've distorted the ratio for optimal health.

Just a thought...
BB
"The Absence of Flaw in Beauty is a Flaw Itself"--E. Havelock

#5 Tasha90

Tasha90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Breakout Betty @ Mar 20 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jen121 @ Mar 20 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think yes. My qualifier is that too much of anything is not good or better stated can cause an adverse reaction.
For example, too much water consumed in a day can cause water poisioning. Consuming too much fruits and veggies in a day can cause diaherra, or too much of a particular herb, for example sarsaparilla, can cause kidney damage despite that its great for a number of aliments including acne. Therefore the overconsumption of avocado, which is high in Omegas 3 and 6 may possiblely cause an adverse reaction. Especially, if your consuming other foods/beverages high in the same Omegas or more of one than the other then you've distorted the ratio for optimal health.

Just a thought...
BB

Yes, that is true, but Jen, 1/2 an avocado or 1 full avocado a day is HARDLY too much.
"If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned..." -- Fight Club

#6 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

No, eat the avocado. Worrying about it will cause more of an adverse effect that eating 1/2 an avocado.

#7 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Most of the avocado weight is the huge kernel and the skin plus some of the pulp who goes away with the skin. The edible final part of a whole avocado is very little and out of a 1/2 lb of avocado only 5 ounces are to be eaten. So a whole avocado is not that much and I have even eaten two/three a day and I'm healthy.

If you want to put on weight you must do some calories math as you need an specific excess of calories. Too little and you won't gain weight, too much and you'll get adverse effect of overeating and make mostly your waist larger.

#8 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

I am eating at least one usually two a day and they only help me not with acne in particular but with my overall health.

check avocados at www.whfoods.org, there is all you need to know.

My dogma is that you basically cannot overeat on fruit and vegetables:

For example I eat one of those big papayas 3 to 5 times a week (they may weigh up to 2kg each, so I am talking about the big ones). The person I am sharing the apartment with always says it is not healthy. She eats one papaya over the course of one week and always cuts off slice and puts the rest in the frige.

I say, back in the day people had no frige and if you were living out in the wilderness you ate the whole damn thing maybe twice a day. So, I do it too... can't be bad for you and if it is you will feel it...

#9 Jen121

Jen121

Jen121

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

Thanks guys! The only other fats I eat are olive oil 5-6 tbs per day, 1 tbs almond butter, and a handful of walnuts.

I never used to like avocados, but now I can't get enough of them! YUM!

wub.gif
What I'm using:
Dan's cleanser
Dan's lotion
Tazorac 0.05%

Supplements I'm taking:

Fish oil
Saw palmetto
Taurine
Zinc
Vitamin A/E/D
Yaz bc

What I'm eating:

Paleo Diet AKA Caveman

All fruits, veggies (no potatoes, peas, corn), nuts and seeds (no cashews or peanuts) and protein (fish, chicken, eggs)

Everyday Staples: Apples (i love) Big green salad, carrots, nuts (pecan, almond, or walnut)

#10 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

Jen, add some animal fat to your diet, especially fish. If you're eating avocados, walnuts, and almond butter every day, your omega-3:omega-6 ratio is going to be way out of whack.
Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#11 Glennart

Glennart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jen, add some animal fat to your diet, especially fish. If you're eating avocados, walnuts, and almond butter every day, your omega-3:omega-6 ratio is going to be way out of whack.

Yeah I agree, she should replace some of the olive oil and with animal fats.

#12 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A natural diet rich in green leafy veggies, nuts, seeds and fatty fruits provide on a verage a n-6 to n-3 ratio of 1:5 which is very good and balanced compared to the 30:1 of the average person.
Some fish here and there though helps for a proper intake of DHA and EPA. That being said a ratio of 1:1 promoted by fish-oil mongers is just not needed.

#13 Jen121

Jen121

Jen121

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Oh I eat salmon at least 3 times a week. Other proteins include eggs, turkey, and chicken.
What I'm using:
Dan's cleanser
Dan's lotion
Tazorac 0.05%

Supplements I'm taking:

Fish oil
Saw palmetto
Taurine
Zinc
Vitamin A/E/D
Yaz bc

What I'm eating:

Paleo Diet AKA Caveman

#14 AlexGF

AlexGF

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

I eat an avocado with tuna or salmon, I don't like eating it alone. but yeah I dont think is bad. I will have to eat more avocados but they're quite expensive... man why does it have to be so hard .....

Acne is disappearing... slowly

Regime: this regime has worked for me for the past month. Diet is nothig special; just avoid diary and sugary drinks/foods.. still eating lots of junk food like fries which doesnt' seem to affect me, have some fibre in the breakfast from berries and oats. Chicken, rice, bread, tuna, peppermint and green tea, cocoa, eggs, lost of baby carrots
THE KEY: Sunlight in the morning (15 to 30 mins), sleep at least 7 hrs a day
drink water whenever I can (aimin for 2 ltrs), wash my face with water morning and night
sexual activity only once every 10 days (til my skin recovers, then keep it moderate)
SUPPLEMENTS: MSM 1000 mg 3 times a day, Zinc 50 mg once a day, Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day

#15 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Danny© @ Mar 21 2008, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A natural diet rich in green leafy veggies, nuts, seeds and fatty fruits provide on a verage a n-6 to n-3 ratio of 1:5 which is very good and balanced compared to the 30:1 of the average person.
Some fish here and there though helps for a proper intake of DHA and EPA. That being said a ratio of 1:1 promoted by fish-oil mongers is just not needed.

She said that her most significant fat sources were olive oil, walnuts, and almond butter. This would throw her fatty acid balance to at least 10:1. Nuts and seeds tend to have ratios of at least 10:1, and oftentimes 15:1 or more, an exception being walnuts, which are roughly 4:1. Almonds have 2000:1.

It's good you eat a lot of salmon, Jen, that will help a lot.

Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#16 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

I did read on a health site that too much avocado can lead to skin lesions. They were also tauting it as being one of the healthiest foods and great for the skin. They suggested no more than 1 a day I think. Either way, I eat half a day on avg and it doesnt break me out....
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers
Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#17 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

Jen,

1/2 to 1 avocado a day is fine - I'd be concerned about 5-6 tbs a day of olive oil though! Processed oils are virtually void of nutrition and it's best to eat them sparingly. It's great that you're eating walnuts and almond butter. I would advise some whole grains, beans/legumes and some starchy veggies on occasion, like sweet potatoes or squash. All of these will safely help you to put on some weight. I would advise weight training too if you aren't already doing that. smile.gif

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#18 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ Mar 21 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jen,

1/2 to 1 avocado a day is fine - I'd be concerned about 5-6 tbs a day of olive oil though! Processed oils are virtually void of nutrition and it's best to eat them sparingly.

I agree, but extra-virgin olive oil is one of the healthiest foods on the planet, imo.

#19 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She said that her most significant fat sources were olive oil, walnuts, and almond butter. This would throw her fatty acid balance to at least 10:1

I'm sure it would level to a bit less with the leafy green which are not fatty products per se but contribute as other non fatty foods. 10:1 though is still good according to the majority of lipid researchers and not conductive to health problems like the 20:1 to 30:1 of the average street guy.

#20 Glennart

Glennart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Danny© @ Mar 21 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She said that her most significant fat sources were olive oil, walnuts, and almond butter. This would throw her fatty acid balance to at least 10:1

I'm sure it would level to a bit less with the leafy green which are not fatty products per se but contribute as other non fatty foods. 10:1 though is still good according to the majority of lipid researchers and not conductive to health problems like the 20:1 to 30:1 of the average street guy.

Greens are a very very poor source of EFAs. It's better to feed them to animals and then eat the animals. We convert so little of the short chain omega 3s they are hardly worth eating. Most vegetable sources of omega 3 such as walnuts acutally make your balance worse since they also contain a far larger amounts of omega 6 compared to the small amount we can convert.