33 replies to this topic

#1 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Its been long since I have learned that one of the ways of controlling the breakouts is to adjust one's diet so that overall the effect is Anti-inflammatory. That is to minimize Pro-inflammatory foods and to maximize (within certain limits of course) the Anti-inflammatory foods. For eg. a lot of people on this forum have benefited very significantly by cutting out the usual hydrogenated vegetable oils(pro inflammatory eusa_naughty.gif ) and by adding cod liver oil (highly anti inflammatory) as supplements (but the cod liver oil is helpful due to more reasons than just its anti-inflammation property).

I just went to the list for inflammation factors on nutritiondata.com http://www.nutrition...01-01c2035.html and found that Ginger is right up there at the very top as regards anti inflammation factor. Its very strong in that respect. For instance 5 gms of ginger powder has an anti inflammation factor of nearly 1500! shock.gif

Going by its rating, It has got to kill the inflammation like nothing else. And besides it has several other advantages for eg. - helps tremendously in digestion, respiratory disorders, morning sickness, menstural cramps etc. And the danger of overdosing is almost nil.

Seems like well worth a try. eusa_think.gif

So, I am now planning to incorporate this into my regimen. I will start taking 5gms of ground ginger per day from today itself.

Wat say u ppl ?

PS: I m doing pretty good right now. Practically, zero zits and and only a few red marks left. And I hope that this will help me keep away the zits for good (as an important part of my regimen.)

#2 Light in Sight

Light in Sight

Advisor and Spiritual Counselor

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Helping people cope.

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

hmm, very interesting. I am all about these anti-inflammatories lately, I have started taking Camomile tea which is a strong one. Ginger also sounds very promising. Can you buy groung/powdered ginger or are you going to grind it yourself?

#3 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

been there, done that..

the ginger powder makes no real difference, you cant fight inflammation with ginger only, turmeric etc. you have to take on whats causing it. and those are many factors, like diet, sleep, stress etc

but it could help a little..

#4 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:37 AM

Nemesys : I have found ground ginger itself but I dont know about its availability in your region. I am not from the US. But I feel that it should be available easily.

Veen : I agree with you that ginger by itself is not the cure (per se) for acne. But I strongly feel that it may prove to be very helpful in conjunction with other forms of treatment like Proper diet, Fish oil, Zinc etc.

how long did yo try it? What was the amount? did you test its effectiveness exclusively? Were you eating junk at that time? eusa_think.gif

I feel like it deserves a decent run. I am going to give it one. eusa_angel.gif

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:30 AM

Make stir fries with garlic, onions, fresh ginger, broccoli and whatever else you want. And when you don't have stir fries, make curries with onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and curry powder which includes tumeric and other anti-inflammatory spices.

Most spices and herbs are anti-inflammatory, btw.

#6 shortbus

shortbus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

I use to have a lot of Ginger in my diet before i started getting acne. I think I should maybe bring it back into my diet again.

I use to buy fresh ginger and slice it up and drink it as a tea with some fresh lemon juice which is also anti-inflammatory.

#7 Constantine

Constantine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

that site makes no sense, ginger is in the top inflamming foods?!?!?!?!!

#8 seven_star_glory

seven_star_glory

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 34
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

ginger?

interesting. I should go buy some.

What about green tea? I hear it is anti-inflammatory as well. In fact, the Chinese have long regarded it as "pimple tea" because it prevents them.

Oh, and I saw on your sig. that you believe sugar and processed food causes break outs. Thank you. Yeesh, there are too many people on here who say what you eat doesn't matter. Whatever.
For about two weeks I ate nothing but green smoothies, vegetables and lean protein and my skin looked great and was healing rapidly. Two days ago I had a bit of a slip up, ate some ice cream and then decided to just screw the whole thing and see if my diet was really helping my skin so I ate chocolate, carbs, ect.
Today my skin looks like absolute crap. I definately broke out from eating these foods. Yuck.
Do you know of any other foods that help combat acne?

#9 bchapais

bchapais

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Constantine @ Mar 19 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey... I know what you mean.. that site is confusing..backwards almost.
PS you should also try ginger tea to incorporate it into your diet. Its not bad, with a little stevia

#10 BrenOne

BrenOne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Guitar playing, guitar playing.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I remember seeing a marked improvement in inflammation one night after having a homemade ginger and lemon drink for a cold. I put it down to coincidence at the time but maybe it played a part? Ginger is sworn-by in Chinese medicine for a range of things.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Constantine @ Mar 19 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where you are seeing that. I look up ginger and it says it's anti-inflammatory.
Raw: http://www.nutrition...01-01c20dT.html
Ground:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c2035.html

#12 Constantine

Constantine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:13 AM

http://www.nutrition...0000000000.html

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Constantine @ Mar 20 2008, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a list of foods and their IF rating. That's a rating of their effect on inflammation. A positive number is anti-inflammatory. There's a link to an explanation right there at the top if you don't understand.

http://www.nutrition...lp/inflammation

Also note that the rating is for 200 calories. You aren't going to eat 200 calories of many of these foods.

#14 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (seven_star_glory @ Mar 20 2008, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ginger?

interesting. I should go buy some.

What about green tea? I hear it is anti-inflammatory as well. In fact, the Chinese have long regarded it as "pimple tea" because it prevents them.

Oh, and I saw on your sig. that you believe sugar and processed food causes break outs. Thank you. Yeesh, there are too many people on here who say what you eat doesn't matter. Whatever.
For about two weeks I ate nothing but green smoothies, vegetables and lean protein and my skin looked great and was healing rapidly. Two days ago I had a bit of a slip up, ate some ice cream and then decided to just screw the whole thing and see if my diet was really helping my skin so I ate chocolate, carbs, ect.
Today my skin looks like absolute crap. I definately broke out from eating these foods. Yuck.
Do you know of any other foods that help combat acne?

Yup. I have tried and tested it again and again. Sugar, dairy, and hydrogenated oils are definite triggers for me. Rather than listening to other people blindly I would rather you observe your own body. for me diet is the most important factor in this scourge of acne.

Good to know that you could follow the healthy diet for two weeks. That is a pretty long time for someone who is not absolutely certain that diet is related to acne. Dont worry too much about the slip up though. Just a minor detour. Taking a little Apple Cider Vinegar before the meals may help you deal better with the carbs. but it doesnt give us the license to cheat though.
If you can improve your diet for good then it will serve you brilliantly not just for acne but also as regard s the overall health in the longer run.

You can choose to eat complex carbohydrates, an beneficial fats like olive oil as well along with the green smoothies. I like to use the olive oil in my salads. very tasty. As for the OK foods you can check this link http://www.nutrition...0000000000.html
which provides foods that are anti inflammatory in nature. Besides also try to eat stuff with less Glycemic load.

take time to get acquainted with the above website. It is an amazing website truly. Also check out some of the more experienced veteran members on this holistic board. I find posts by Ndnromeo, Danny, Kodi very informative in particular. You can learn so much from these people.

Just spend quality time on this website and rather than concentrating on the symptoms of he disease( topicals, antibiotics etc) try and handle it at a deeper level (holistic approach). You will do well then.

good luck

#15 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Ya the higher the inflammation factor, the more Anti-inflammatory it is.

#16 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I hate nutritiondata's new layout...they used to actually explain why foods were anti-inflammatory, instead of just giving a number.

I'm sure ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, but I'm wondering exactly why the IF considers it anti-inflammatory.

#17 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate nutritiondata's new layout...they used to actually explain why foods were anti-inflammatory, instead of just giving a number.

I'm sure ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, but I'm wondering exactly why the IF considers it anti-inflammatory.

gingerols.

#18 Kaisen

Kaisen

K

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Veen @ Mar 21 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rakbs @ Mar 21 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gingerols.

nice link

#19 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:09 AM

Ginger apparently also helps avoid prostate cancer (for the men here) shrug.gif

QUOTE (alternativista @ Mar 19 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make stir fries with garlic, onions, fresh ginger, broccoli and whatever else you want. And when you don't have stir fries, make curries with onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and curry powder which includes tumeric and other anti-inflammatory spices.

Most spices and herbs are anti-inflammatory, btw.

This is great news since I love cooking and eating stir fries and curries eusa_dance.gif

#20 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

melatonin is also an anti-inflammatory and powerful; anti-oxidant