Photo

Does aquaphor/vaseline clog pores??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 lappj

lappj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

My acne is especially bad around my mouth. Could this be from my using aquaphor on my lips?

Also, I sometimes use vaseline on my skin. Does this clog pores.

Neither of them say noncomodegenic, so I was concerned.

#2 OhSoo Fab

OhSoo Fab

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Its very funny you ask that question because yesterday I read an article about the 3 worse things that you can do to your face and the #1 was putting vaseline on your face and they even said some people break out around their mouths when putting on lips.

They said that it clogs your pores..it's heavy grease..AND THEN when I went home last night, my bf was complaining of pimples around his nose and he said it's funny that everytime he puts vaseline on his face this happens...so I told him about the article that I read..I can't remem the website.

QUOTE (lappj @ Mar 16 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My acne is especially bad around my mouth. Could this be from my using aquaphor on my lips?

Also, I sometimes use vaseline on my skin. Does this clog pores.

Neither of them say noncomodegenic, so I was concerned.

#3 PokerFace

PokerFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

Yea, I learned the hard way...it said "doesn't clog pores" on the back too, which is complete bullshit lol. Fuck them!

#4 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

I like Aquaphor but not Vaseline. Aquaphor doesnt have that many ingredients and the ingredients it does contain are noncomedogenic. Vaseline on the other hand is patrolium jelly so I would recommend avoiding it.

#5 headtrip_honey

headtrip_honey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (acne_battle @ Mar 16 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Aquaphor but not Vaseline. Aquaphor doesnt have that many ingredients and the ingredients it does contain are noncomedogenic. Vaseline on the other hand is patrolium jelly so I would recommend avoiding it.

The ingredients in Vaseline: 100% Petroleum Jelly (which is the SAME THING as petrolatum)
The ingredients in Aquaphor: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol

Both are noncomedogenic.

So, vaseline actually has fewer ingredients and is much cheaper. I do enjoy Aquaphor, though....it is slightly less greasy, which feels nicer. But if you're strapped for cash and you need hydration quick - vaseline is just fine.

I should note, however, that if you find you have a bad reaction to these products, don't use them. Just because something is noncomedogenic doesn't mean it won't break you out.

#6 capricorn

capricorn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

My derm told me to use a thin layer of vaseline at night to cope with the dryness and cracking around my lips. She said that the accutane is powerful enough that the pore clogging won't be an issue. I had good results (moisturizing and no breaking out), but your mileage may vary.

Also, if you're keeping Aquaphor strictly on your lips, I don't see how it would be causing you to break out since the main issue is that it clogs pores. Maybe you're allergic to one of the ingredients?

#7 ladybugfayce

ladybugfayce

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

aquaphor will NOT clog your pores.

aquaphor and vaseline are two totally different things.
vaseline is pure petrolium jelly.
aquaphor is 41% petrolatum + skin protectant.

all of eucurin products (including aquaphor) are non comedogenic. i smother my break-out prone face in aquaphor after a chemical peel or sun burn and report no problems!

vaseline on the other hand........

#8 noworries

noworries

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

aqua is honestly the shit. dont hate on it
i smoother my face with it and its bullshit to sleep with it on, and you look like a clown, but it gives you a legit 10 hour period where your face is nice and soft and protected. Maybe it doesnt break me out because im on accutane, but this stuff is the shit.

#9 BreakAway Babe

BreakAway Babe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

The nurse at my derm said Aquaphor would clog my pores. I was still breaking out a lot, even though I was at the end of my 3rd month of Accutane. I'd been slathering Aquaphor on at bedtime, it was one of the few things that relieved the Accutane induced dryness/itching. However, the PA that I usually see says she uses it every night. eusa_eh.gif

The article below states that petroleum jelly does not clog pores.

First though, from Wkipedia, a note on Petrolatum:
Depending on the specific industry the petrolatum is used for, the petrolatum may be USP (United States Pharmacopeia) grade, BP (British Pharmacopeia) or Ph. Eur. (Pharmacopeia Europa). This pertains to the processing and handling of the petrolatum so it is suitable for cosmetic and personal care applications.

A study done on aquaphor and petrolem jelly on wound healing (http://jdr.sagepub.c...t/51/6/1672.pdf) found that up to day six, the wound was not healing as quickly as the control group, but by day 10 was significantly smaller.

All emphasis was made by me
Petroleum Jelly: Facts and Myths

Myth: Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) used in hair and skin products is a dangerous chemical byproduct of petroleum or gasoline.

Fact: Refined USP Petroleum jelly is not the same as the “Petrolatum” defined by the Chemical Abstract System (CAS) definition found in the EPA Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Inventory. This CAS number (8009-03-8) applies to an unrefined, heavy, waxy petrolatum material. In fact, United States Pharmacopeia (USP) white petroleum jelly is not a byproduct but is a refined and purified product of heavy waxes and paraffinic oils. USP White Petroleum Jelly surpasses the safety standards set by the FDA for use in food and cosmetics products as well as for both the European Union (EU) and Japanese Pharmacopeia Chemical Codes.

Myth: Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) or mineral oil when applied to the skin creates an impassible barrier plugging hair and skin pores (comedogenic).

Fact: There exist no credible scientific studies that prove that petroleum jelly or mineral oil is in fact comedogenic (block skin pores). In reality, the term comedogenic was developed by the FDA to only classify substances that caused acne by blocking facial skin pores. Later, health and nutritional advocates attempted to extend this definition to include products used for the hair and body. However, the term “comedogenic” was never intended to be used beyond the original scope as defined by the FDA. Recently, new scientific studies have resolved the debate. Technical papers published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology (May 24, 2005) and the Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists (1996, vol. 47, pp. 41-48) demonstrated that white USP mineral oil (FG) and white USP petroleum jelly (Vaseline) do not block skin pores.Petroleum Jelly and mineral are classified as “occlusive” moisturizers. In theory, occlusives reduce water loss from the skin by creating a hydrophobic barrier when applied over the skin. Occlusive moisturizers diffuse into the intercellular lipid domains and herein lay their effectiveness. Published studies show that although Vaseline exhibits what appears to be occlusive properties when applied to the skin it neither forms nor acts as an impermeable barrier but rather permeates slowly throughout the SC interstices, allowing for normal skin recovery.
In layman’s term Vaseline petroleum jelly does not clog skin pores but slowly diffuses throughout the skin lipid layer and even assists the body in skin repair.

Myth: Petroleum Jelly is inexpensive poor moisturizer.

Fact: True, White USP Petroleum Jelly is an inexpensive product but on the contrary it is still the most cost-effective moisturizer used today in the cosmetic industry. Petroleum jelly at minimum concentrations reduces transepidermal water loss (TEWL) by more than 98% and is followed by lanolin, mineral oil, and the silicones, which are effective in the range from 20%-30%. Other substances such as beeswax, stearic acid, shea butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and sunflower seed oil TEWL values are below twenty percent.
(ArticlesBase SC #931578)

Muslim Shahid - About the Author:
MD Shahid is a senior research scientist with a MS in Physical Chemistry. Mr. Shahid has almost 30 years of career experience in oxygen-free radical reactions and antioxidant development. Mr. Shahid is a recipient of the NTAA “Scientist of the Year “ award, has authored or co-authored almost 50 U.S. patents, his work has been cited by Chemical Abstract, the worlds largest and most referenced chemical index provider on numerous occasions, and in the middle 90's by personal invitation was ask to review scientific reliability of earlier HIV/AIDS hypothesis by a distinguished panel of cancer and virologist scientist. Contact:

Read more: