Large, deep pores that continually 'refill' with smelly stuff

3 replies to this topic

#1 mx5driver

mx5driver

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm a 37 yr old caucasian male, who has always been pretty fortunate to have relatively low-maintenance skin. Over the past couple years, I've noticed a couple pores on my face that seem to be unusually large, and look like a 'hole' in my face (one is on my jawline, the other is on the other side of my face up near my cheekbone). I noticed a while back that the one on my jawline seemed to be 'tough', like there was something below the surface. I tried squeezing it, but didn't get anything out of it at first... so I took a needle and put it into the pore, and the needle went in about half an inch (no exaggeration) before I felt any 'resistance' (didn't hurt at all, it was kinda bizarre).. once it passed the resistance, I pulled it out, and gave it a squeeze.. .. it emptied out like a tiny tube of toothpaste, with a white creamy consistency that smelled REALLY foul (no, I didn't smell it immediately after squeezing it, but the smell was strong enough that I could smell it)... the 'toughness' that was below the skin was gone (I'm assuming because I emptied the pore of the stuff that was in there?). The large pore on my cheek has done the same exact thing. Then, a couple weeks ago, I noticed a large lump.. I mean really large - bigger than a mole or wart.. on the back of my head, in my hair.. it wasn't sore, so I didn't really notice it until I happened to run my fingers over it one night... I had my wife look at it, and she said it looked like it had a 'hole' in the middle of it (just like the large pores on my face).. so she squeezed it, and was AMAZED at how much stuff (again, creamy white stuff) came out of it.. and she noticed the same bad smell (again, she didn't sniff it, but she could smell it).... after she squeezed it, the lump went down, but it has returned a couple times, and I've been able to squeeze it myself to get the stuff out.. but like the pores on my face, I can squeeze it almost every day and get this stuff out of it.

Any suggestions what I can do to remedy these issues?

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

The one on your scalp seems more like a sebaceous cyst; you should get it checked out by a dermatologist or doctor. They are true cysts in that they DO have a discrete wall that surrounds the putrid junk inside. Sebaceous cysts require surgical removal (whole, including the wall or sac of the cyst) to prevent recurrence. It will most likely just keep coming back. You may be lucky and squeeze out the wall, too, but that's a dangerous activity in that you could rupture the wall of the cyst and cause that infection to spread around further. Bleh, right?

The other ones on your face just sound like a clogged pore that was clogged for a very long time. The exudate smelled that way due to the bacteria that were in the sebum and dead skin cells. A gentle routine of exfoliation either mechanical or chemical can help greatly with reducing the occurence of clogged pores. THe baby's hair brush method (yes, sounds silly, but it works!) is a terrific method when done GENTLY!!! Please see my signature for the link to the original thread about the baby's hair brush method. There are many different types of chemical exfoliants: glycolic acid, salicylic acid, mandelic acid, retinoids, etc. I myself like glycolic and salicylic and retinoids. smile.gif Do a bit of reading and discover which ones might work the best for your own particular skin type.

smile.gif

#3 Kathleen I

Kathleen I

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

What Wynne said is correct. The cyst isn't an acne cyst, it's a different kind. And it's characterized by that foul smell. It'll just keep filling back up again, unless the entire thing is removed. Which is done by a doctor. Although I knew someone who did it themselves with a knife and this is *not* recommended for obvious reasons! I'm not sure if the ones on your face are the same thing, but it could very well be. Your dr. will know. He'll probably just do a local anesthesia and remove it. Better to just get it done now whether than waiting.

#4 mx5driver

mx5driver

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Kathleen I @ Mar 13 2008, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What Wynne said is correct. The cyst isn't an acne cyst, it's a different kind. And it's characterized by that foul smell. It'll just keep filling back up again, unless the entire thing is removed. Which is done by a doctor. Although I knew someone who did it themselves with a knife and this is *not* recommended for obvious reasons! I'm not sure if the ones on your face are the same thing, but it could very well be. Your dr. will know. He'll probably just do a local anesthesia and remove it. Better to just get it done now whether than waiting.

Thank you both for the replies!!! I'm guessing my regular physician wouldn't handle something like this, so I'll look into making an appointment with a dermatologist perhaps?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users