Photo

Neosporin on non-popped cysts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I don't pop my cysts. I've never scarred from any of my acne or past cysts, I don't have cystic acne but when I do get the occasional cyst boy is it nasty! The one I have now is about the size of a quarter as of now. Been icing and applying hot compresses. And been putting BP on a lot. But no help. I used the aspirin mask as a spot treatment but for some reason it didn't help at all this time.

Anyways, I purchased some neosporin today. Will this help on a closed cyst? The cyst is really raised and I think pretty close to the surface, no head though. It's very liquidly and feels like it could explode, yet it hasn't.

Do you think it would help?

#2 SakuraHime

SakuraHime

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 7 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't pop my cysts. I've never scarred from any of my acne or past cysts, I don't have cystic acne but when I do get the occasional cyst boy is it nasty! The one I have now is about the size of a quarter as of now. Been icing and applying hot compresses. And been putting BP on a lot. But no help. I used the aspirin mask as a spot treatment but for some reason it didn't help at all this time.

Anyways, I purchased some neosporin today. Will this help on a closed cyst? The cyst is really raised and I think pretty close to the surface, no head though. It's very liquidly and feels like it could explode, yet it hasn't.

Neosporin will kill the bacteria on the top layer of your cyst, but I'm unsure about whether it would penetrate it or not. It's worth a try though! I'd say try putting it on top of it one night and see how it looks in the morning.

I've used Neosporin before for zits I had popped, but I don't recall trying it on unpopped ones.
Sakura-hime's Mandelic Acid Log

3-7-08 Nucelle Routine
5-18-08 Integrating Paula's Choice SA into regimen.
9-4-08 Excluding all but MA and BP
12-19-08 Only using MA and Emu Oil

Morning
-NuCelle 10% Mandelic Acid Serum (wait 20-30 minutes)
-Dove Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15
-Physician's Formula Make-Up (I looove!)

Evening
-Wash with Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Cleanser
-NuCelle 10% Mandelic Acid Serum (wait 20-30 minutes)
-Emu Oil <333

My skin feels and looks beautiful now, and I'm always getting compliments!

#3 codetosuccess

codetosuccess

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (SakuraHime @ Mar 7 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 7 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neosporin will kill the bacteria on the top layer of your cyst, but I'm unsure about whether it would penetrate it or not. It's worth a try though! I'd say try putting it on top of it one night and see how it looks in the morning.

I've used Neosporin before for zits I had popped, but I don't recall trying it on unpopped ones.

#4 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

I'd say try putting it on top of it one night and see how it looks in the morning.

I'm doing that as of now! But when I wake up tomorrow, how would I know if it did it any good? I doubt it would be fully flattened.

#5 JustaMomToo

JustaMomToo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 7 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say try putting it on top of it one night and see how it looks in the morning.

I'm doing that as of now! But when I wake up tomorrow, how would I know if it did it any good? I doubt it would be fully flattened.

Hey~

Seriously, tea tree oil has been the best thing for any of my variety of skin spots, including the occasional cyst. If you havent' tried it, here's what I do with great success:

- I have taken two ibuprofen or naproxen sodium sometimes.

- I heat up a cup of water, hot but not too hot, dip a corner of a washcloth in it, squeeze off excess, apply to spot. Let it cool. Re-dip into the hot water, re-apply, etc. until the cup of water has cooled off, about 20 minutes. I will do this about 2 or 3 times in a day, depending upon how much time I have. But I be sure and do it before my PM routine before bed.

- Sometimes, I apply a little tea tree oil and jojoba oil OR just plain tea tree oil to the spot, let it sink in a little, then do the heat thing above. Just really depends on my mood I would say lol.

- At night, for sure I would do the heat and then continue with my PM routine. It would be the same as usual except I would apply tea tree oil on top of all my other products, let it sink in, then I might apply some sulfur or MaMa or SA or whatever I feel like right on top of the tea tree oil on each spot, as an additional spot treatment. BP usually just makes the skin on top of the cyst hard, and then I feel the tea tree oil can't penetrate well, so I try and keep my skin all soft, especially on the cyst.

- Somewhere around the boards Didi78 said she likes to use tea tree oil and then a dab of Desitin diaper rash stuff on top of it because it has zinc in it. I've never tried that yet, but she says it works great!

- I use the tea tree oil on the cyst when I can, let it sink in, then do makeup during the day. Of course I use it at night, along with the hot compress. I would have to say by the next day between the warmth of the compresses and the tto, the redness, swelling, pain, etc. has started to decrease. I continue doing the heat until the puffiness is gone, usually no more than 2 days, and continue the tea tree oil until it's healed. This has been the best for me because the heat calms down the cyst and the tea tree oil I think penetrates it.

- If you do want to try tea tree oil, I use the 100% straight up. I use a little brush, but you can use your finger or Q-tip, just be sure you cover the cyst so it can penetrate.

Good luck!

#6 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

Seriously, tea tree oil has been the best thing for any of my variety of skin spots, including the occasional cyst.

I've been thinking about getting the tea tree oil, but the places I've looked don't have it and I don't the time or money to buy it right now.

But so far, this morning that neosporin has worked wonders! I'm not joking and I'm very surprised actually. I used it two spots last night. I used it on my quarter sized cyst, the biggest bugger I've ever had, and a large non-cyst spot that was actually 3 little pimples that formed together and created a bigger one.

The non-cyst one had a better effect probably because it wasn't so deep. This morning, there was a flap of dead skin on it and I just wanted to flake it off, so I peeled it off. And you no what happened, I must have peel off the "head" and it just started oozing like crazy. I gently squeezed the rest of that gunk out, washed the area, and put more neosporin on it.

Now to my big cyst friend. This annoying cyst actually flattened, a lot. The cyst was extremely underneath the skin for about a month before it came to the surface more that I didn't even think anything of it. I just thought it was a lump from an older one and that it will eventually go down if I leave it alone, plus it wasn't even that noticeable. Then it popped up and released its vengeance on me. So, I guess since it was so close to the surface the neosporin was able to penetrate into it a bit and help kill it.

More on the way!

#7 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 7 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which neosporin did you buy, the ointment or the cream? The ointment contains comedogenic ingredients but the cream is okay. Also, you might want to wrap ice around a paper towel and use that as a cold compress. If you do not like cold compresses, you can wrap a hot tea bag around a paper towel and use that as a hot compress.
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#8 JustaMomToo

JustaMomToo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

YAY for Neosporin working for those buggers!!! Molly's idea about the ice or tea bag is a well-tried version for cysts as well. I'm sure by now you've read the link Wynne has for taking care of them too. I think the most important thing to do out of any method or topical you like to use, is keep the skin soft enough so any topical you do use can penetrate as best as possible. I bet Neosporin has done a great job because they advertise it helps speed healing of cuts, it is antibacterial, soothing, all good things for skin, so why not?!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if one thing worked for everyone? biggrin.gif Continued Neosporin success!

#9 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Which neosporin did you buy, the ointment or the cream?

I purposely bought the cream kind. I know the ointment type is very greasy and didn't want to clog up my pores even more. And plus, the cream type was cheaper lol.gif .

Molly's idea about the ice or tea bag is a well-tried version for cysts as well. I'm sure by now you've read the link Wynne has for taking care of them too.

And yes, I've read all up on that. I've been doing the hot compresses about 2 times a day since the ugly SOB popped up. Icing only seemed to do any good when it first popped up because of all the inflamation. It's not really inflamed anymore and doesn't hurt. It's just there. So my task now is to make it go away completely! And the neosporin is killing the bacteria so I guess that's my way to go.

#10 hideacne

hideacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

bump.

#11 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

I have some bad news. The cyst seemed to swell back up to its original size throughout the day. cry.gif

It just sucks that even though I put makeup on the cover old marks and smaller pimples, you can still see the large lump smacked upon my face.

The cyst seemed smaller when I woke up and I have a bad feeling its gonna stay there for a while. Whoopeee! I'm going to a concert this Friday. So everyone can see it.

At least the other large pimple went away. rolleyes.gif And I'll still put the neosporin on tonight.

I wish I was able to go to the derm to get this thing injected. I won't be able to make an appointment until April. If this sucker is still there, the derm better make it go away.

#12 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Again, this morning it's shrunken a little but I think it will just swell up again tonight. Anyways, it's a dark colored purple and very hard to cover up. I'm planning on going to the derm as soon as I can. I wish I didn't have to get a referral. But it's either that or wait a month until my insurance changes to make an appointment without a referral.

#13 Deadbeat007

Deadbeat007

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Could your general practitioner get the cyst injected?

#14 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Deadbeat007 @ Mar 10 2008, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unfortunately, no. sad.gif

#15 leepinglizards

leepinglizards

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 10 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Deadbeat007 @ Mar 10 2008, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unfortunately, no. sad.gif

I think that's a skin protectant for broken skin, cuts, etc. For some reason I don't think it will absorb too well since it is very thick in consistency. I have a cyst on my chin which I have been applying benzoyl peroxide on it for a week now and it has gone done immensly. It is peeling and peeling. I think for this kind of thing you need something that absorbs since it has no head, and that will start to peel off also. If you really want to try the Neosporin, I would suggest you rub it into the cyst over and over and over and over. Not just applying it, you would have to try and make it absorb. It would be hard work. Perhaps start with a warm cloth to soften the skin, press it on the zit and then begin to rub like a mad woman for a couple of minutes, or hours. lol I mean, to get it really in there. Remember, it has no head but the pores are still there so perhaps it can seep into those pores. Why don't you just use benzoyl peroxide?

#16 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Why don't you just use benzoyl peroxide?

Oh I have been, and I've used it in the past. Doesn't seem to work any better than anything I use. I think that the cyst needs to be opened for that to work better.

But what I have found, again it could just be a temporary thing like the neosporin, is hot epsom salt compresses. It seems like it flattens before my eyes. So far, it's flattened about 5% from the epsom salt. After that, since my skin is softened I put the neosporin on. Maybe I'll just put the BP on instead for now since I can use the neopsorin on an open cyst or pimple in the future and not waste it.

#17 JustaMomToo

JustaMomToo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I have been, and I've used it in the past. Doesn't seem to work any better than anything I use. I think that the cyst needs to be opened for that to work better.

But what I have found, again it could just be a temporary thing like the neosporin, is hot epsom salt compresses. It seems like it flattens before my eyes. So far, it's flattened about 5% from the epsom salt. After that, since my skin is softened I put the neosporin on. Maybe I'll just put the BP on instead for now since I can use the neopsorin on an open cyst or pimple in the future and not waste it.

Hey!

I've already posted above what works best for me through much trial and error lol, so I won't repeat that info. shake.gif

I did want to mention after reading Didi78's Desitin success that I tried that as well on a couple of spots that were developing and it worked great. Again, I first spot treated with tto, then topped it off with a little Desitin. Desitin original that is because that's the 40% zinc oxide one. A bandaid placed on top helps to keep the active topicals in place all night long, if you want to try that. I don't use the bandaids, but I've heard they work well in a number of different posts. Obviously it's too soon for my real input regarding Desitin, but I did want to say it worked well for the couple of nights I've used it on my spots, although I did not have cysts.

Then, I did an online search of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and acne. After I read you had some pretty good results, I thought I would look it up. There is a lot of information on the benefits of epsom salt in general. This is just a brief quote from Wikipedia which pertains to your discovery:

"Magnesium sulfate paste has been used as an agent for drawing (dehydrating) boils and carbuncles. Magnesium sulfate solution has also been shown to be an effective aid in the fight against blemishes and acne when applied directly to problematic areas, usually in poultice form. Magnesium sulfate when used through soaking, can soothe muscle pains and help improve rough patches in the skin."

So, I bet it's all the drawing and healing properties of the epsom salt that worked on that bugger of a cyst! Good luck!

#18 dnttreadonme900

dnttreadonme900

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (JustaMomToo @ Mar 10 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dnttreadonme900 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey!

I've already posted above what works best for me through much trial and error lol, so I won't repeat that info. shake.gif

I did want to mention after reading Didi78's Desitin success that I tried that as well on a couple of spots that were developing and it worked great. Again, I first spot treated with tto, then topped it off with a little Desitin. Desitin original that is because that's the 40% zinc oxide one. A bandaid placed on top helps to keep the active topicals in place all night long, if you want to try that. I don't use the bandaids, but I've heard they work well in a number of different posts. Obviously it's too soon for my real input regarding Desitin, but I did want to say it worked well for the couple of nights I've used it on my spots, although I did not have cysts.

Then, I did an online search of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and acne. After I read you had some pretty good results, I thought I would look it up. There is a lot of information on the benefits of epsom salt in general. This is just a brief quote from Wikipedia which pertains to your discovery:

"Magnesium sulfate paste has been used as an agent for drawing (dehydrating) boils and carbuncles. Magnesium sulfate solution has also been shown to be an effective aid in the fight against blemishes and acne when applied directly to problematic areas, usually in poultice form. Magnesium sulfate when used through soaking, can soothe muscle pains and help improve rough patches in the skin."

So, I bet it's all the drawing and healing properties of the epsom salt that worked on that bugger of a cyst! Good luck!

Thank god it popped! And thats thanks to the epsom salt I guess. First time one of my cysts popped. And the amount of gunk that came out was horrendous! Epsom salt is a lifesaver! Cut my cyst's life to only a week and it was the biggest one ever!

#19 Amanda33

Amanda33

Amanda33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

[quote name='dnttreadonme900' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:20 PM' post='2216530']

I wouldn't do it!

#20 Amanda33

Amanda33

Amanda33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

[quote name='dnttreadonme900' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:20 PM' post='2216530']

I wouldn't do it!