97 replies to this topic

#1 lollypolly

lollypolly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hey there

I thought I'd see what all the hype is about and started taking DIM a week ago.

Since taking it my skin has got worse with five active spots which are really sore and red - I haven't had this for ages.

Now, this could be because I've not been taking it long enough or because I've been taking a double dose (4 pills a day).

Any thoughts?

#2 valo_123

valo_123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (lollypolly @ Mar 5 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Since taking it my skin has got worse with five active spots which are really sore and red - I haven't had this for ages.

Now, this could be because I've not been taking it long enough or because I've been taking a double dose (4 pills a day).

Any thoughts?

Someone on here, I forget who, made a good point. With all the excess hormones being pulled out of your blood, or wherever they're coming out of, your liver is needing to do much more work. If your liver can't filter out all the hormones then it goes back into your body. I'm taking taurine with the dim as that's what the guy suggested to do. Also, he mentioned something about some calcium supplement that helps clean the liver out. It makes perfect sense, I'm glad I came upon it or the effects may have diminished do to me overloading my liver.

#3 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

Lollypolly --> Don't believe the thread that states:"DIM stops acne in 1 week" or something like that.

Give it some time to work.
That you are having an initial breakout may be a good sign that it is working(or not:P)
Give it a month or so and then come back with your results

#4 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

I only took it for 6-7 days and stopped, it wasnt helping and my acne did get a little worse but pretty much i didnt want to mess with my hormones which is why i stopped. It may have helped in the long run, but then again it could of hurt. It could be true that some people may have problems because they need to reinforce phase II.

Phase I is getting the toxins (xenoestrogens) to the liver- DIM. Phase II is the liver processing them-taurine, calcium d-glucarate, glutathione levels etc. So you may want to try one or more of those, but if it keeps getting worse for much longer, definately stop cuz you may be pushing your hormones in the wrong direction. Good Luck!

#5 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

DIM also raises free testosterone, so that could be what's contributing to your acne perhaps?

#6 JPizzle

JPizzle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

been about a week and 1 day and still no improvement

#7 bran88

bran88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

I wouldn't take a double dose...more is not necessarily better when it comes to DIM since you might be throwing more toxins at your liver than it can handle...start out with 1 or 2 pills per day and see how that goes. Make sure to drink a lot of water to help flush out the toxins for the first couple of weeks. However, if you notice that your skin still looks worse after 3 weeks or so I would get rid of the DIM. good luck!

#8 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Loving a Princess.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (valo_123 @ Mar 5 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Any thoughts?

Someone on here, I forget who, made a good point. With all the excess hormones being pulled out of your blood, or wherever they're coming out of, your liver is needing to do much more work. If your liver can't filter out all the hormones then it goes back into your body. I'm taking taurine with the dim as that's what the guy suggested to do. Also, he mentioned something about some calcium supplement that helps clean the liver out. It makes perfect sense, I'm glad I came upon it or the effects may have diminished do to me overloading my liver.

Was me and its CDG - Calcium D-glucarate. I predicted ppl will breakout via DIM and was even told I was fixing a problem that didnt exsist.

#9 bran88

bran88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (jodiat @ Mar 5 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Any thoughts?

Was me and its CDG - Calcium D-glucarate. I predicted ppl will breakout via DIM and was even told I was fixing a problem that didnt exsist.

I don't think many people have had an IB with DIM, I've read about maybe 2 of about 10 or so, but we have a very small sample. I suspect that double dosing could be causing the IB, but that's just my opinion. I really don't know enough about DIM to say whether or not it helps the liver to clear itself of toxins, BUT if you are detoxing slowly enough with the correct dose of DIM and you have a relatively healthy liver, then I don't think you should need another supplement with DIM...I'm already taking (a very small dose of) MSM per day and will continue that wihich is supposed to help with general detox. CDG also seems interesting, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to take CDG and DIM together since both have the property of eliminating xenoestrogens...I know that CDG is supposed to be a good liver aid, but isn't it possible that the CDG DIM combo could cause an overload for the liver as well?

#10 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (bran88 @ Mar 5 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Any thoughts?

I don't think many people have had an IB with DIM, I've read about maybe 2 of about 10 or so, but we have a very small sample. I suspect that double dosing could be causing the IB, but that's just my opinion. I really don't know enough about DIM to say whether or not it helps the liver to clear itself of toxins, BUT if you are detoxing slowly enough with the correct dose of DIM and you have a relatively healthy liver, then I don't think you should need another supplement with DIM...I'm already taking (a very small dose of) MSM per day and will continue that wihich is supposed to help with general detox. CDG also seems interesting, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to take CDG and DIM together since both have the property of eliminating xenoestrogens...I know that CDG is supposed to be a good liver aid, but isn't it possible that the CDG DIM combo could cause an overload for the liver as well?

How so? I believe the opposite. DIM will increase hormones sent to the liver while CDG address the livers ability to basically chelate the excess hormones out of the body. You will not get a bottleneck from phase 1 to phase 2 and less likely to suffer an IB or flu like symptoms, esp if you double, tripple or even take grams of DIM doses.

#11 pixxekurlz222

pixxekurlz222

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

How so? I believe the opposite. DIM will increase hormones sent to the liver while CDG address the livers ability to basically chelate the excess hormones out of the body. You will not get a bottleneck from phase 1 to phase 2 and less likely to suffer an IB or flu like symptoms, esp if you double, tripple or even take grams of DIM doses.

I totally agree. If you look around the internet this combo is recommended for estrogen dominance.

#12 bran88

bran88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (jodiat @ Mar 5 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Any thoughts?

hmm ok perhaps...I was just concerned that since both DIM and CDG are supposed to rid the body of xenoestrogens/alter hormonal imbalance maybe the two combined would be too much. Maybe not. For me personally I like to introduce one new thing at a time, but that's just me.

#13 bran88

bran88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (pixxekurlz222 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. If you look around the internet this combo is recommended for estrogen dominance.

ok...but does someone who eats 6+ servings of veggies and fruits per day + a serving of supergreen powder per day really need calcium d-glucarate? For me personally, I know that I don't get enough cruiciferous veggies to give me the same action as DIM but I eat tons of fruits and veggies in general, so I just don't see a need to add CDG unless someone can explain why I might be deficient.

#14 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (bran88 @ Mar 5 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jodiat @ Mar 5 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there

Any thoughts?

hmm ok perhaps...I was just concerned that since both DIM and CDG are supposed to rid the body of xenoestrogens/alter hormonal imbalance maybe the two combined would be too much. Maybe not. For me personally I like to introduce one new thing at a time, but that's just me.

Its not just you dude thats wise as fuck to do it that way. Just that I would use CDG first for anyone using DIM then jump on the DIM train. I just want to help ppl who jump to using DIM and breakout like crazy and blame DIM and shoot down this method for hormonal acne.

#15 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (bran88 @ Mar 5 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (pixxekurlz222 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok...but does someone who eats 6+ servings of veggies and fruits per day + a serving of supergreen powder per day really need calcium d-glucarate? For me personally, I know that I don't get enough cruiciferous veggies to give me the same action as DIM but I eat tons of fruits and veggies in general, so I just don't see a need to add CDG unless someone can explain why I might be deficient.

Its not that your ARE currently deficient its that you MIGHT be deficient if you use higher ammounts of DIM as explained above. Its beneficial for the whole liver not just binding in phase 2 detoxification. Meaning it can help get rid of excess used hromones and toxins. Its more then common for someone with acne to have a congested liver and its my view adding even a small amount of extra hormones to the liver tht DIM sends could trigger an outbreak or worse make you ill.

#16 sgxyo3man

sgxyo3man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

Does the glucarate help with liver detox more than taurine jodiat?

#17 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (won won @ Mar 5 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the glucarate help with liver detox more than taurine jodiat?

Yes but no lol, CDG is a whole liver aid whereas Taurine (which is indeed very helpful for phase 2) only helps for phase 2. Simply the cost vs effectivness I would argue Taurine is more helpful. If you have Taurine and as its cheaper I would stick with it but if youve money and think your liver needs the extra boost id take CDG and Taurine. Over the two I would 100% take CDG as its just that much better.

#18 lollypolly

lollypolly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

Whoa good response even if a lot of it is over my head.

I'm going to cut down to the 2 pills a day until the bottle runs out. If my skin gets progressively worse then I know DIM isn't the answer for me. As for liver cleansing I think my liver copes quite well and I don't give it anything other than fruit and veg anyways.

For what it's worth I've been a crabbit bastard the last couple of days too - is that the excess testosterone you think?

smile.gif

#19 Murmur

Murmur

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Art, animation, wellness and the outdoors.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (lollypolly @ Mar 5 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoa good response even if a lot of it is over my head.

I'm going to cut down to the 2 pills a day until the bottle runs out. If my skin gets progressively worse then I know DIM isn't the answer for me. As for liver cleansing I think my liver copes quite well and I don't give it anything other than fruit and veg anyways.

For what it's worth I've been a crabbit bastard the last couple of days too - is that the excess testosterone you think?

smile.gif

Just FYI, when I started DIM it seemed like my oil production decreased at first and then INCREASED again, and then there were a few days where I thought it wasn't helping me at all, and then I began seeing dramatic improvement. So don't give up.

#20 sgxyo3man

sgxyo3man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Murmur @ Mar 5 2008, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just FYI, when I started DIM it seemed like my oil production decreased at first and then INCREASED again, and then there were a few days where I thought it wasn't helping me at all, and then I began seeing dramatic improvement. So don't give up.

I'm in the same place. Did you stick with the dosage that you started with during the tough times?