88 replies to this topic

#1 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi all,

So, for the people who havent read any of my topics over the years, I have ice pick & shallow boxscar (which are the most troubling for me) & I was very intent on going in for Fraxel this summer.

However, this ActiveFX & Fractional Laser discussion lately has really opted me to consider otherwise on the Fraxel choice.

My question is, do u think i can get this laser done during a college spring break? My spring break is 11 days (including weekends) long. When I come back to school will it be noticeable that I had something done to my face? Although it probably varies, how long does it usually take to get an appointment to have it done?

I'm really worried that I am falling into a bunch of "hooplah" over the excitement caused by the introduction of these new lasers & the recent posts promoting them. Do you guys think its worth it? I mean of course its better than trying nothing. And the price is WAY better than 5 Fraxels!

Also kinda weird to ask this at the end (but i'm just editing it in here), but what is the difference for what laser I want to get? Do I want to get just the Active FX laster, like it is offered at South Coast Med Spa (google to see site, which includes videos), or do I need the "TotalFX" which I cant seem to find out where it is offered or even know if it is different?

LASTLY, where can i go to get whatever i wanted [ie. ActiveFX/Deep/totalfx or whatever it is] done? I live in Los Angeles, but I will fly if necessary.

I'm so sorry for dragging on such a long post. I am sick of this battle & am realizing that doing something now is better than doing nothing forever.

Thanks for your help guys!

#2 healthynclear

healthynclear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (SouthpoleSP67 @ Mar 5 2008, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

So, for the people who havent read any of my topics over the years, I have ice pick & shallow boxscar (which are the most troubling for me) & I was very intent on going in for Fraxel this summer.

However, this ActiveFX & Fractional Laser discussion lately has really opted me to consider otherwise on the Fraxel choice.

My question is, do u think i can get this laser done during a college spring break? My spring break is 11 days (including weekends) long. When I come back to school will it be noticeable that I had something done to my face? Although it probably varies, how long does it usually take to get an appointment to have it done?

I'm really worried that I am falling into a bunch of "hooplah" over the excitement caused by the introduction of these new lasers & the recent posts promoting them. Do you guys think its worth it? I mean of course its better than trying nothing. And the price is WAY better than 5 Fraxels!

Also kinda weird to ask this at the end (but i'm just editing it in here), but what is the difference for what laser I want to get? Do I want to get just the Active FX laster, like it is offered at South Coast Med Spa (google to see site, which includes videos), or do I need the "TotalFX" which I cant seem to find out where it is offered or even know if it is different?

LASTLY, where can i go to get whatever i wanted [ie. ActiveFX/Deep/totalfx or whatever it is] done? I live in Los Angeles, but I will fly if necessary.

I'm so sorry for dragging on such a long post. I am sick of this battle & am realizing that doing something now is better than doing nothing forever.

hey! I'm in the same boat you are. Trying to figure this out. I finally decided that since I have a Spring Break I really need to get something done since my scars bother me. So I'm going in next Tuesday for CO2 fractional laser. I'm nervous and excited and have the same questions you do...wondering how long my face will be red and obvious is it. Hopefully someone who's had it done will answer your questions....

I'll be sure to let you know my experience when I'm done with it. Hopefully that will help a little! Good luck!

#3 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

What type of Fractional C02 are u considering? I am thinking of doing a TotalFX treatment, which is being highly hyped by not only the few that have done it on the board, but also by many actual doctors & surgeons on other message boards.

TotalFX is a combination of DeepFX, which is better suited for deeper scarring, & Active FX, which is better suited for pigmentation issues. Together it seems like a great one-two punch, and on top of that it can be done in a week?!

I mean this sounds too good to be true, but from what I've read, and I've researched this board day after day for YEARS this seems to be the best bet. Its around 4,000 in my area (Los Angeles), which is kinda pricey and I'm still hoping to find a better price, but I just have to do this. Best thing about it is that I can do it during my spring break and hopefully comeback to spring quarter of school with much better skin!

#4 anonymous007

anonymous007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (SouthpoleSP67 @ Mar 5 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What type of Fractional C02 are u considering? I am thinking of doing a TotalFX treatment, which is being highly hyped by not only the few that have done it on the board, but also by many actual doctors & surgeons on other message boards.

TotalFX is a combination of DeepFX, which is better suited for deeper scarring, & Active FX, which is better suited for pigmentation issues. Together it seems like a great one-two punch, and on top of that it can be done in a week?!

I mean this sounds too good to be true, but from what I've read, and I've researched this board day after day for YEARS this seems to be the best bet. Its around 4,000 in my area (Los Angeles), which is kinda pricey and I'm still hoping to find a better price, but I just have to do this. Best thing about it is that I can do it during my spring break and hopefully comeback to spring quarter of school with much better skin!

I found this...Alexander Rivkin is a doctor in LA and he's quoting $3000. I think that may for the activefx only though.

http://www.realself....laser-treatment

A good place I found to search for a doc that uses the new lasers.

http://www.skinandhe...ls/practitioner

#5 PCGATORFAN

PCGATORFAN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I AM A DIE HARD SINGLE FLORIDA GATOR FOOTBALL FAN!!!! SOUNDS CORNY BUT I LOVE MY FAMILY THEY ARE VERY INPORTANT TO ME. I ALSO LIKE TO HELP THOSE IN NEED WHEN I CAN. A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS COULD CHANGE SOMEONES LIFE FOREVER.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

HELLO I JUST HAD DEEP ACTIVE FX AND ACTIVE FX DONE TODAY. I AM 33 WHO HAD ANCE VERY BAD AS A TEEN WITH ICE PICK SCARS. TO START OFF AS FAR AS TIME TO HEAL THEY TELL ME 5 TO 7 DAYS. I TOOK A TOTAL OF 13 DAYS OFF VACATION TIME AND DAYS OFF. THAT WAS WAY TO MUCH.

I GOT TO MY DR OFFICE AT 10:00 AM TODAY SIGN A CRAP LOAD OF PAPER WORK THAN I WENT TO GET PRE OP DONE. THEY PUT THIS NUMBING JEL ON MY FACE THAN SHE PUT SOME SERAN WRAP ON MY FACE TO KEEP THE HEAT IN. I THAN TOOK A VICODINE FOR PAIN. THEY STARTED THE PROCESS ABOUT 11:15. MY DR STARTED WITH DEEP ACTIVE SHE WENT TWO SWIPES FOR THE DEEP. THIS WAS NOT THAT BAD BUT IT DID STING. I WOULD GIVE IT ABOUT A 4-5 PAIN TORLANCE. MY DR TOLD ME EVERY THING SHE WAS DOING WHILE SHE WENT THOUGH IT. AFTER THE DEEP I GOT ABOUT A 10 MIN BREAK NOW CAME THE ACTIVE FX I WILL NOT LIE THE PAIN WAS MORE ON THIS I THINK IT WAS BECOUSE OF THE FIRST TREATMENT. THIS WAS I WOULD SAY ABOUT 6-7. AFTER I GOT DONE THEY CLEANED ME UP SOME COOLED MY FACE DOWN AND PUT THIS STUFF ON MY FACE CALLED AQUAPHOR . MY FACE FELT LIKE I HAD A BAD SUN BURN AFTER WARD. BEFOR I LEFT MY SISTER GOT THE CAR AND CUT THE AC ON AND MY FACE WAS RIGHT THERE IN THE COLD AIR. I CAME HOME GOT IN FRONT OF THE FAN ALL DAY. I BOUGHT SOME FULL FACE ICE PACKS. YOU PUT THESE IN THE FREZZER AND IT COVERS YOUR WHOLE FACE. I WOULD SAY THIS IS A MUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER. FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU GET THIS DONE

I WILL SAY THIS FROM WHAT I CAN SEE I AM VERY PLEASED AT WHA I SEE. IF I COULD I WILL SEND YOU SOME PICTURES SO YOU CAN SEE IT. I DO WANT TO SAY YOU NEED TO GET THIS DONE. I THINK IT WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT. IF THERE IS ANY QUESTIONS I CAN ANSWER PLEASE EMAIL ME.

THANKS HAVE BLESSED DAY

SCOTT

#6 anonymous007

anonymous007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (PCGATORFAN @ Mar 6 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HELLO I JUST HAD DEEP ACTIVE FX AND ACTIVE FX DONE TODAY. I AM 33 WHO HAD ANCE VERY BAD AS A TEEN WITH ICE PICK SCARS. TO START OFF AS FAR AS TIME TO HEAL THEY TELL ME 5 TO 7 DAYS. I TOOK A TOTAL OF 13 DAYS OFF VACATION TIME AND DAYS OFF. THAT WAS WAY TO MUCH.

I GOT TO MY DR OFFICE AT 10:00 AM TODAY SIGN A CRAP LOAD OF PAPER WORK THAN I WENT TO GET PRE OP DONE. THEY PUT THIS NUMBING JEL ON MY FACE THAN SHE PUT SOME SERAN WRAP ON MY FACE TO KEEP THE HEAT IN. I THAN TOOK A VICODINE FOR PAIN. THEY STARTED THE PROCESS ABOUT 11:15. MY DR STARTED WITH DEEP ACTIVE SHE WENT TWO SWIPES FOR THE DEEP. THIS WAS NOT THAT BAD BUT IT DID STING. I WOULD GIVE IT ABOUT A 4-5 PAIN TORLANCE. MY DR TOLD ME EVERY THING SHE WAS DOING WHILE SHE WENT THOUGH IT. AFTER THE DEEP I GOT ABOUT A 10 MIN BREAK NOW CAME THE ACTIVE FX I WILL NOT LIE THE PAIN WAS MORE ON THIS I THINK IT WAS BECOUSE OF THE FIRST TREATMENT. THIS WAS I WOULD SAY ABOUT 6-7. AFTER I GOT DONE THEY CLEANED ME UP SOME COOLED MY FACE DOWN AND PUT THIS STUFF ON MY FACE CALLED AQUAPHOR . MY FACE FELT LIKE I HAD A BAD SUN BURN AFTER WARD. BEFOR I LEFT MY SISTER GOT THE CAR AND CUT THE AC ON AND MY FACE WAS RIGHT THERE IN THE COLD AIR. I CAME HOME GOT IN FRONT OF THE FAN ALL DAY. I BOUGHT SOME FULL FACE ICE PACKS. YOU PUT THESE IN THE FREZZER AND IT COVERS YOUR WHOLE FACE. I WOULD SAY THIS IS A MUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER. FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU GET THIS DONE

I WILL SAY THIS FROM WHAT I CAN SEE I AM VERY PLEASED AT WHA I SEE. IF I COULD I WILL SEND YOU SOME PICTURES SO YOU CAN SEE IT. I DO WANT TO SAY YOU NEED TO GET THIS DONE. I THINK IT WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT. IF THERE IS ANY QUESTIONS I CAN ANSWER PLEASE EMAIL ME.

THANKS HAVE BLESSED DAY

SCOTT

Thanks for the post but for the love of god please turn the caps lock off! My eyes are burning...

#7 katiekat

katiekat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (SouthpoleSP67 @ Mar 5 2008, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Southpole, did u schedule to have this done yet?

#8 anonymous007

anonymous007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

I've got the activefx + deepfx treatment scheduled for later on next week. It wasn't cheap but it sounds like my best option at this point. I had been contemplating fraxel ever since it came out but I didn't have the time to take off for work to do it. Multiple treatments with up to a week of downtime wasn't cutting it. With this treatment one is supposed to be eqivalent to having a number of fraxels done. I have plenty of before shots sitting on my computer-I have mainly rolling scars/indentations. I will try to document my progress for you guys. Here's to hoping that this new technology is worth it. eusa_drool.gif

#9 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

Well guys, these past two weeks have been insane for me. I am really excited and worried that this whole treatment has just come at me so quick. I have been researching what to do for years and I was SO dead set on having fraxel done this summer, even though I still was not truly optimistic about it, nor was I looking forward to have to 5 treatments & 1 week off each time.

BUT honestly, and this goes for everyone here, if you have the money, which I know is always a big issue, you should just do something. Even if this doesn't work, at least I can say I tried and go on to the next one.

So in saying that, I actually just had my consultation for it today with two different people in the Southern California area. I am having it done March 25th, 2 days into my college spring braek. I am getting the TotalFX as well, which is a combination of both the DeepFX & ActiveFX procedures.

I cannot stress enough about how important the DeepFX as well. Many people have overlooked this treatment, & rightfully so, because the ActiveFX will not do much for acne scars at all. The DeepFX which goes almost 4 times at deep & with much smaller (.12mm opposed to 1.25 mm Active FX) holes is the only one of Lumenis's bridge therapy treatments that I feel can actually stimulate the collage necessary to treat harder skin conditions, such as acne scars and even wrinkles (which I believe people have been misled to think that ActiveFX can treat). Active FX, as far as I am concerned, is only effective (but in this aspect really effective) for treating discoloration in skin.

Sorry for writing such a long post, but I can guarantee I'm not going to be the kind of person to just do the treatment and keep everyone in the dark. I will answer as much as I can as I hope others will. Furthermore, I will definitely chornicle the before & after experience, so others can decide if they want to do it.

So ya, 15 day countdown. I wanna say I'm really excited cuz I am, but seeing as how I was already prepared to do fraxel, where results were small & inconsistent, I would honestly be happy for 30-50% of improvement.

Thanks for your time!

#10 anonymous007

anonymous007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (SouthpoleSP67 @ Mar 10 2008, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Well guys, these past two weeks have been insane for me. I am really excited and worried that this whole treatment has just come at me so quick. I have been researching what to do for years and I was SO dead set on having fraxel done this summer, even though I still was not truly optimistic about it, nor was I looking forward to have to 5 treatments & 1 week off each time.

BUT honestly, and this goes for everyone here, if you have the money, which I know is always a big issue, you should just do something. Even if this doesn't work, at least I can say I tried and go on to the next one.

So in saying that, I actually just had my consultation for it today with two different people in the Southern California area. I am having it done March 25th, 2 days into my college spring braek. I am getting the TotalFX as well, which is a combination of both the DeepFX & ActiveFX procedures.

I cannot stress enough about how important the DeepFX as well. Many people have overlooked this treatment, & rightfully so, because the ActiveFX will not do much for acne scars at all. The DeepFX which goes almost 4 times at deep & with much smaller (.12mm opposed to 1.25 mm Active FX) holes is the only one of Lumenis's bridge therapy treatments that I feel can actually stimulate the collage necessary to treat harder skin conditions, such as acne scars and even wrinkles (which I believe people have been misled to think that ActiveFX can treat). Active FX, as far as I am concerned, is only effective (but in this aspect really effective) for treating discoloration in skin.

Sorry for writing such a long post, but I can guarantee I'm not going to be the kind of person to just do the treatment and keep everyone in the dark. I will answer as much as I can as I hope others will. Furthermore, I will definitely chornicle the before & after experience, so others can decide if they want to do it.

So ya, 15 day countdown. I wanna say I'm really excited cuz I am, but seeing as how I was already prepared to do fraxel, where results were small & inconsistent, I would honestly be happy for 30-50% of improvement.

Thanks for your time!

The 21st is the date for me! Good luck to you!!

#11 katiekat

katiekat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Please do keep us updated and good luck to both of u. I've been doing a little research on this also. Having the TotalFX is the way to go. Most of the physican's in a 300 mile range from me only have the ActiveFX. I found a direct number to the main office in CA. Hopefully they can inform me of someone near.

#12 katiekat

katiekat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

The number to the main headquarter of Lumenis is # 1-408-764-3000. I spoke with a sales rep. that was able to give me a direct number to the rep. in my area. He was able to inform me about the drs. that do have the new hand piece, and who has the most experience with it. He also informed me about the machine and how it works.

#13 ShelleyS

ShelleyS

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (PCGATORFAN @ Mar 6 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANKS HAVE BLESSED DAY

SCOTT

#14 madadam

madadam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Southpole: On the site it says it DOES help with acne scars!

#15 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I have seen only 3 positive stories on this site from Retardiest, PCGatorFan, & from TampaGirl. I just wanted to see if others have any thoughts.

And ya, I've come to learn to not believe what the brochures or what the company manufacturing has to say about their own products.

#16 KuroDesu

KuroDesu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

THANKS HAVE BLESSED DAY

SCOTT

How long ago did you see your "results"? You're sure your not talking about the swelling? The results shouldn't be seen for months...
These have got to be the most exquisite bangs known to man. Upon looking at those bangs, Jon Bon Jovi said he yearned for bangs as soft and wispy as these. And trust me, Jon Bon Jovi knows a thing or two about bangs.

#17 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Actually results are kinda instant apparently for this laser as it produces immediate skin tightening. And the improvements should just improve for up to 6 months. The swelling from this procedure should not last more than 1 week.

#18 PCGATORFAN

PCGATORFAN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I AM A DIE HARD SINGLE FLORIDA GATOR FOOTBALL FAN!!!! SOUNDS CORNY BUT I LOVE MY FAMILY THEY ARE VERY INPORTANT TO ME. I ALSO LIKE TO HELP THOSE IN NEED WHEN I CAN. A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS COULD CHANGE SOMEONES LIFE FOREVER.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (KuroDesu @ Mar 11 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANKS HAVE BLESSED DAY

SCOTT

How long ago did you see your "results"? You're sure your not talking about the swelling? The results shouldn't be seen for months...

Yes I did see results quick. I had this done on Thursday last week the swelling was bad my right eye was swelled as this is common. My PS went deep and did alot of passed with both the Active fx and Deep fx. Now on Sunday I noticed the swelling to start to go down. I see a big differance in my face on the side of my face were bad scars these look alot better. Yes it can take months to fully see a differance. I would encourage anybody thinking of doing this to have it least 5 days off. I hope the best for you all any questions feel free to emailme.

#19 SouthpoleSP67

SouthpoleSP67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hey gator,

This is kinda a specific questions, but what kind of scars do u have? And what type of improvement (in %) do you think you have seen in those scars?

If you have more than one type of scar (ie. rolling, boxscar, icepick), please indicate the % improvement in the different types rather than just an overall %.

Also, btw, how is the color of your skin looking? Is tone improved?

#20 PCGATORFAN

PCGATORFAN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (SouthpoleSP67 @ Mar 12 2008, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey gator,

This is kinda a specific questions, but what kind of scars do u have? And what type of improvement (in %) do you think you have seen in those scars?

If you have more than one type of scar (ie. rolling, boxscar, icepick), please indicate the % improvement in the different types rather than just an overall %.

Also, btw, how is the color of your skin looking? Is tone improved?

To be honest with you I dont know the differant kinds of scars I did have alot of icepick scars on the side of my face. That is all my PS said went I went to see them. I did have these scars the side of my face my chin and some on the forehead. I would tell you that I see a huge inmprovent in my face. I am goin g to get my pictures done today and I will try to find out how to post them and or send them.