#301 elliew8

elliew8

Adventure is out there!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

Oh dear, this thread is pretty scary... I've been on Yasmin for 7 years (15-22) and have managed to stop using benzoyl peroxide (bleaches everything in sight and ages skin) and just use soap and witch hazel which seems to keep my acne relatively under control. The problem is I've been wondering about the side effects of coming off of the pill, mainly because there is an increased risk of DVT with Yasmin (runs in my family) and I'm curious about the future when I do decide to have kids. I can't even remember how bad my skin was before the pill, pretty sure it was only ever mild and it's still mild now so I'm not looking forward to coming off and experiencing some severe acne side effects!

Hopefully this thread stays active because there are only a few success stories and I am quite concerned about the withdrawal symptoms :( I'll definitely keep the retinoids in mind though, I wonder if anyone else has managed to curb the side effects? Did anyone just grow out of it - I mean did anyone's bodies just eventually adjust to being off the pill and their acne clear up after a certain amount of time?

#302 Auroraspain

Auroraspain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:languages, teaching, reading

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

OMG, I would never imagine that this story would be so common :( I started diane 35 when I was 15 or 16 because of the acne, and I quitted when I was 22, after a few months my skin was worse than ever, I didn´t have the period in 4 months and some black hair started growing on my chin crazy.gif , the reason why I quited diane was because I started having spotting and I was tired of taking something so artificial. I came back to the gyn and diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and I came back to the pill, but the spotting continue (I was bleeding three weeks out of four!!!), I went to another gyn and told me that there was not another choice. So I was taking the pill (I tried 4 or 5 different to see if the spotting stopped but it continued the same), bleeding always, and having the most terrible acne ( it didn´t clear up when I came back to bc), sick of all this I decided to stop visiting gyn, to quit bc forever and to go to an endocrinologist, when I quited bc for the second time, my period became regular and the endocrinologist told me that all my hormones were ok, and that the diagnose of POC was not correct, he said I should start looking for a dermatologist. 

So I went to the derm and started accutane, for a year my skin was ok, but now I have mild acne again. It´s horrible when everything  works for most of the people (bc and accutane) and not for me, and now I´m almost 27 years old. At least my acne is not so terrible now, but I do not want to come back to accutane, I have started Dan regimen, now I have some hope because I´m on my 3rd week and I see some improvements, I am also taking omega3 and zinc. 

My advice for everybody is: do not take birth control!! it can solve the acne problem for a while, but it is not something that solves the problem permanently, it just hides it for a while, and the day you will need to stop taking it you will have skin problems again!!! it´s better to try other alternatives. I am happy that at least now I have a regular period, I do not have the problem doctors told me I had, and I have hopes again of solving my acne problems. 

#303 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

I posted a few weeks ago here, and I just am updating to confirm that stopping BCP was absolutely the cause of the worst acne I've ever had.  In the last three to four weeks I've had close to 30 cysts, 20 injections, and I never would have thought it would be this bad.  In my situation however, I'm not sure it was completely due to BCPs because I had some cysts last year and I was still on BCPs.  I think stopping it highly exacerbated the problem where as I would probably still get 1-3 month had I stayed on the pill.  At one point, I was getting multiple cysts per day.  I kid you not, I would go the derm to get anywhere from 1-4 injections, and within hours of leaving, a new cyst would appear.

Do I think there was a hormonal imbalance? Heck yes.  But I think it was already there.  Not taking the pill made it worse.  I don't think the pill is bad or no one should go on it.  It helps many people.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what a better solution is for acne, especially if it's due to hormonal imbalance.

#304 Lola18

Lola18

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm so glad I found this site. Going off of birth control has turned my life upside down! Luckily, I always had clear skin, even through the hormone crazy teen years. I started taking Apri birth control to regulate my period and for bc reasons. When I stopped, my skin remained clear for about a year and a half, and then...Hello acne! It started on my chest, then all over my back, and finally on my previously clear face! It's driving me insane! My life now revolves around my acne. I eat, breathe, and sleep it. It has been a source of extreme depression, and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I've lost my happy, carefree self to this horrible thing. I wish I had known that this would happen when I started taking it because I wouldn't have made the decision so lightly. I just had blood work done which indicated that my estrogen levels were too high, and so were my prolactin levels. I have an appointment with a holistic doctor on Friday, and am visiting a Chinese herbalism school on Thursday in hopes that someone can help me get my life back. I refuse to take antibiotics, as I know acne's cause is internal and would like to address the root of my problem and not just temporarily cover the symptoms, but it's driving me insane! I've tried OCM with different blends of oils, tea tree oil, caveman method. Nothing works! Vitamin/mineral supplementation stopped the cystic acne I was getting all over my face (knocking on wood,) but still hasn't stopped the "my pores don't stop clogging" syndrome on my face, back, and chest. I'm seriously at my witt's end. If anything helps/stops this never-ending battle, I will be sure to post and share. Thanks for listening to my venting!

#305 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I will just say that birth control was the worst thing I ever did - not because it cleared my skin but because it made me break out like crazy all over my chin. I was on it for years not knowing this was the culprit. Wasn't until I was on the internet more and researching my problems did I realize - I went off of it and my skin went a little bit haywire in that I was breaking out in new places, but not nearly as bad as when I was on it. After I had a baby I thought I'd try a new kind, a better kind, and the same thing started happening around my chin so I quit right away. I just wish I didn't spend years of my life like that - I just had no idea.

#306 WENDYY72

WENDYY72

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a Youtube account where I post all my skin update with my acne and mostly my hyperpigmentation. If you guys are interested you should definitely check it out :)

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

I know this was posted years ago, but were you girls on The Regimen when you came off the pill? or did you try the Regimen? Because I just stopped BCP and was wondering if the Regimen would be helpful 

#307 AnnaMartell

AnnaMartell

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys! I wanted to share my experience because it's very different from everyone else's and that kinda troubles me..

I've been on Yasminelle for 11 months now. I started it mostly because the period pain was insufferable, I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't eat because I was very nauseous and I had horrible headaches and abdomen pain. (This wasn't normal for me however, i only had these symptoms for about 2-3 months and I was studying abroad at the time, so I thought BC would help. Plus I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my cheeks and chin.

Note that my skin was almost clear when I was a teenager (1-2 pimples b4 my period but nothing extreme), but when I turned 18 it gotten SO bad. (I am 21 now) Before I started taking Yasminelle, I was suffering from depression, and my acne made me feel even worse. It made my life miserable and I lost my confidence. I've been using homeopathy ever since I was a child and so I rarely took any pills/medicine that weren't 'natural'. (I saw 2 homeopathy doctors about my acne but didn't help.)

When I went on the pill, my acne got worse for the first two months. But I read online that it was normal so I waited. After the third month, it got better. I was happier and more confident.

So, to continue, even though I am still on Yasminelle, my skin NEVER cleared completely. In fact I STILL have horrible breakouts, and its getting even worse. And im ON the pill still!! It doesn't make any sense!! I'm sitting here, typing this, while my cheeks and chin have 5-6 pimples EACH and my face is full of blackheads. 

I take excellent care of my skin and that really frustrates me.. I'm desperate I don't know what else to do!!! 

My gynecologist told me to stop taking the pill because it's really bad for my health and that it will be good to stop taking it for at least 2 months, and go back to her to have my hormone levels measured.

I refused immedietely, but after reading your stories, I've decided to stop. I am TERRIFIED because i'll feel aweful again, but truth is, i feel aweful right now too, because even though im on birth control, my skin is still horrible. I'm hoping to find a different solution for my acne, one that will really work...And fortunately my mom promised to take me see a dermatologist after I'll have my hormone levels analysed.

All in all, I was wondering: Am I the only one??? Are there others whose BCP didnt help clear their acne?? Ugh, it's so frustrating..

#308 Dojaro5

Dojaro5

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I went on the birth control pill to help my acne in my teens. I was put on Diane 35 for about a year and it completely cleared up my skin. It was a very high dose of hormones with a high risk of blood clots etc and so once my skin cleared and I was on it for a while they put me onto alesse. I was on alesse for about 10 years. Being a woman who does not take any prescription or over the counter drugs I did not want to be putting this pill into my body anymore. I went off the pill October 2012 following my wedding. My face exploded with cystic acne. I went vegetarian for a couple of months and that seemed to help it but once I went back to eating meat it got really bad again. At this point no skin cleanser/ exfoliant/remedy was working. I was so embarrassed and it really upset me everytime I looked at it. I am proud to say that about 13 months later -- after trying to stick to a fairly healthy diet and after using specific skin care routines I have no more acne. I have scars to remind me of the year I endured but my skin is so beautiful now. It took my body a bit over a year to recover from the pill and I am sure my skin care routines helped along the way. I use clean and clear cleanser and a clarisonic skin cleansing machine. I also use a high end moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. I hope this helps please let me know if you have any questions :)

#309 allosaurus

allosaurus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

Hello ladies!

I've read this thread a little while back and wanted to thank you all for sharing your stories. Based on the advice I found in this thread, I was finally able to deal with this acne issue.

I was on Yaz for about 2 years and TriCyclen for 1, and about 6 months ago I found myself getting severely sick after taking the pill. It was bizzare and I still can't determine why all of a sudden something that had worked quite well for me was making me so sick. I would take the pill, and about 8 hours later I would wake up with some of the worst nausea, which would stay with me for hours. Needless to say, after a few weeks of feeling disgusting I stopped taking it and I felt good again. Then, about three months later, I started breaking out severely. Prior to and during birth control I never really had acne and I can tell you it was pretty awful. It was the kind of under the skin acne that HURTS. It would start as these swollen red bumps and develop into something that resembled boils. Not only did these take about a week to develop, but as soon as one was sort of reduced in size, another three would pop up right next to it. It was pretty tough to manage on a daily basis - not only because of the appearance of the acne, but because of the pain!

I tried Biore (which had always worked on minor acne in the past), as well as a Neutrogena spot treatment, and I even got a prescribed hydrocortisone acetate cream that did nothing.

Then I found this post and noticed some people recommended things like Evening Primrose Oil and Maca alongside other suggestions. I've purchased both and have since been taking them daily.

I started with 2 pills (500 mg each - 100 mg/day) of Evening Primrose Oil and progressed to 3 pills (a total of 1500 mg/day) and I saw immediate results. I would say right now, three weeks in, about 97% of the acne is gone. The only imperfections that are still left are very minor blackheads along the jawline, but I believe these may have to do more with sweating from working out than with BCP side effects.

Initially I would take 1 Maca pill a day (500 mg/day) but I've noticed that it doesn't have any impact on my acne. It does however give you a great boost of energy that lasts throughout the day. I found that I can now feel rested on 4 - 5 hours of sleep (whereas before I needed a full 8). It's also a big libido booster so there's also that.

I haven't changed my diet one bit (I eat ridiculous amounts of cheese), I take no antibiotics, and use no prescribed ointments - it all has to do with taking 1500 mg of Evening Primrose Oil a day.

I just thought I'd share this with the ladies who are still looking for options. This has worked out great for me and I would recommend it. Before trying anything extreme (like Accutane for example - please please please do not try it unless you are desperate and have fully researched it), give Evening Primrose Oil a try. I got a bottle of 180 - 200 capsules at a health store in the mall for about $15 (Canadian) but I bet you ladies in the U.S. can find it for much cheaper in stores, or even by ordering it online.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I've been there and I've been lucky enough to have gotten a handle on it early, so I'd love to help you gals that are still trying to find options. :)

#310 Krissy990

Krissy990

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Hello all, I am also sadden to read all of your experiences because I too have been dealing with this acne issue for a little over a month now. I actually started taking Lutera and started noticing my skin was becoming super oily. I started getting night sweats and basically pre menopause lol. I took it for maybe a month and switched to Microgestin.. which also did not help my oily skin issue. And finally after two month yes JUST TWO months of being on BC acne started to show up. I immediately went off and have been breaking out like crazy since. Mind you I never had acne to begin with prior to any pill. I am so depressed all the time because I have so much hyperpigmentation...and nothing seems to work. I don't want to be seen and I don't want to leave my house anymore. Everyone around me says Im over doing it but honestly I feel like trash right now. Ive been thinking of going back on another pill but Im so scared Ill break out worse. I sympathize with all of you..it isn't right that these things are prescribed so easily without properly warning women how much damage these pills can do to us!  

#311 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

That's so interesting - I was on Lutera for years having no idea that it was one of the worst kinds for acne and I broke out terribly the whole time. I would also get night sweats on it - which is just very odd considering the estrogen should be more than your normal estrogen. But it is a low estrogen pill so maybe it's really not enough, or maybe your body doesn't receive it the same way. Even though it broke me out, when I went off I started breaking out more and in weird places after a few months. I'm now on Spiro and have been clear for a year.

Edited by michi31, 02 April 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#312 Krissy990

Krissy990

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Michi31 finally someone else who understands! And I believe you are absolutely right about the estrogen assumption. I feel as though the Lutera actually lowered my estrogen levels since its a low dose pill.  So I think it probably inhibited our bodies from producing enough natural estrogen possibly causing testosterone to raise. Im not 100% sure but that is my assumption. Your also right on with breaking out in odd places Im getting body acne which is completely foreign to me :(. Im also getting persistence comedones along my jawline which is also new to me. It has been almost two months of this and it has completely altered my life. I mean it has taken such a toll on me and has cause me to feel so depressed. Im praying that this just clears up on its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users