Photo

Healthy food ideas

garlic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 blank4200

blank4200

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

I am avoiding bread, peanut butter, processed foods and processed sugars, junk food, and milk (which is the only thing I haven't had troubles with).

I had trouble with my diet because my family wasn't doing me any favors by bringing bad food in, ordering pizza and there being nothing for me to eat and such...

I need healthy food ideas... I need them... I've got 6 meals a day and besides breakfast and mid morning snack and a protein drink after my workout I am lacking in ideas and I love chicken... but I have grown tired of garlic and plain chicken with salt and pepper on it.

#2 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Axelhack @ Feb 19 2008, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am avoiding bread, peanut butter, processed foods and processed sugars, junk food, and milk (which is the only thing I haven't had troubles with).

I had trouble with my diet because my family wasn't doing me any favors by bringing bad food in, ordering pizza and there being nothing for me to eat and such...

I need healthy food ideas... I need them... I've got 6 meals a day and besides breakfast and mid morning snack and a protein drink after my workout I am lacking in ideas and I love chicken... but I have grown tired of garlic and plain chicken with salt and pepper on it.

BUMP

I so wish I could help you, but perhaps someone out there has ideas. I subscribe to weekly menus from www.savingdinner.com. She has lots of choices and may have one for someone who is avoiding milk. She never has processed food or sugar in her menus.

She also has a radio show on blog talk radio that you can call into. I think her next show is tomorrow at noon eastern time. She is a CNC and gives outstanding food advice.

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

Poach salmon in some broth or water with garlic and such to flavor. Then throw some spinach on top for the last minute or so to wilt. I usually stir a little mustard into the broth to make a sauce.

For breakfast, try baking sweet potato slices and sprinkle with cinnamon and butter. It's a great substitute if you are used to having things like pancakes for breakfast.

#4 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

GRRRRR I typed up a huge list of recipes and ideas, and then I accidentally pressed the "Back" button. eusa_wall.gif

Anyway, here are some of them:
- Lettuce wraps
- Minestrone
- Lemon chicken
- Teriyaki chicken (or salmon)
- Steak eusa_drool.gif
- Steamed veggies with every meal (broccoli, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Pesto or herb sauce goes good with everything
- Tomatoes (esp. grape or cherry tomatoes) and basil also go good with everything.
- Omelets
- Green smoothies if you already don't make them
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Pasta, unless you're trying to go gluten-free (if so, I know of a bunch of great gluten-free blogs blogs to check out)
- Chili eusa_drool.gif
- Chicken soup (I love chicken soup! All you need is lemon grass, chicken bouillion/chicken broth, some salt and pepper, and crushed garlic.)
- Broccoli and beef stir fry

#5 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (calla lily @ Feb 19 2008, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GRRRRR I typed up a huge list of recipes and ideas, and then I accidentally pressed the "Back" button. eusa_wall.gif

Anyway, here are some of them:
- Lettuce wraps
- Minestrone
- Lemon chicken
- Teriyaki chicken (or salmon)
- Steak eusa_drool.gif
- Steamed veggies with every meal (broccoli, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Pesto or herb sauce goes good with everything
- Tomatoes (esp. grape or cherry tomatoes) and basil also go good with everything.
- Omelets
- Green smoothies if you already don't make them
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Pasta, unless you're trying to go gluten-free (if so, I know of a bunch of great gluten-free blogs blogs to check out)
- Chili eusa_drool.gif
- Chicken soup (I love chicken soup! All you need is lemon grass, chicken bouillion/chicken broth, some salt and pepper, and crushed garlic.)
- Broccoli and beef stir fry

Hi Calla Lilly, could you point me to a gluten free blog? THANKS!!!!

#6 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (merf @ Feb 20 2008, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Calla Lilly, could you point me to a gluten free blog? THANKS!!!!

Sure! biggrin.gif

http://glutenguide.blogspot.com/
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/
http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/
http://freetoeat.blogspot.com/
http://www.heythattastesgood.com/
http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com/
http://www.nothanksg...e.blogspot.com/
http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=13319
http://www.gluten-fr...iving.net/news/
http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/
http://www.heythattastesgood.com/
http://glutenfreefun.blogspot.com/
http://myglutenfreec...k.blogspot.com/
http://delightfullyg....wordpress.com/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
http://glutenfreefoodreviews.com/
http://killthegluten.blogspot.com/
http://www.glutenfre...com/blog/?cat=3

I think that's enough so you won't get bored... wink.gif

#7 merf

merf

Poser.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (calla lily @ Feb 20 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, thanks!!!

#8 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:11 PM

Marinate chicken breast on lemon, olive oil and parsley and thyme for 15 minutes or more.
Ground almonds and sesame seeds till very finely ground.
Remove the chicken from the marinade, put on a baking pan and create a crust by "breading" the chicken with the ground seeds/nuts. Turn over the chicken breast and repeat. Cook in over for 20-30 minutes.

Simple guacamole. Dice a tomato, slice an onion, mash an avocado. Combine and add olive oil, black pepper and lemon juice.

Take a bell pepper and peel it with a potato peeler. Remove the head. Cut the bell pepper vertically in 4 parts. Remove the white parts. Put in a pan on the stove with little olive oil.
Let the bell peppers pieces come soft. Remove from heat and sprikle with sesame seeds.
Add salt and put on the stove again until seeds are roasted but not burned.
Take 3-4 cubes of frozen spinach. Take a cup of frozen mushroom. Defrozen and put in a pan. Add olive oil, salt and parsley and let the veggies cook. Add a cup of drained canned beans and lemon juice.

Put 2 tablespoon of sesame seeds, 1 can of garbanzo beans, lemon juice, boiled till soft and cooked garlic, olive oil, salt, parsley, pepper, paprika and water till needed. Blend till smooth.

Dice carrots and cook till soft. Slice onions and cook till tender. Boil 2 tablespoons of baby frozen peas till tender. Put the veggies in a bowl and add 2 tablespoon of canned sweet corn kernels. Season with olive oil, salt and oregano. Add a drained can of tuna. Add more salt and more oil and mix.

Peel and cut into vertical long stripes 2 potatoes. Mix the potatoes in a bowl with 1 cup of apple juice (without sugar) for 10 minutes. Toss and pour off the juice. Coat with olive oil a baking tray and pray the potatoes out. Add more olive oil on top. Cook in the over at 325 on one side for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes around and cook for 7 minutes more.

Put half carrots, half celery, a leaf of lettuce and half onion coarsely cut on a pot with water and salt and let them boil and become very tender. The broth is ready when the water is of a rich color and taste. Hard boil few eggs (8-10 minutes) and peel them. Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks. Blend half cup of cashews or almonds with the broth and the yolds till you get a thick cream. Stuff the center of the egg halves with the cream.

Hard boil few eggs (8-10 minutes) and peel them. Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks. Take a cup of frozen shrimp out of the freezer and defrost. Stir-fry briefly the shrimp with few olive oil and parsley. Blend a tablespoon of lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and the egg yolk till you get a dark yellow not too thick cream. Coarsely ground 1/4 of the shrimps and mix the in a bowl with 1/4 of the cream. Put the mixture on the center of the egg halves. Put the stuffed eggs in the center of a plate. Pur the whole shrimps all around and cover with the remaining yellow sauce.

#9 bchapais

bchapais

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

WoW Danny I book marked this page! yummie sounding recipes. Are you a cook? you should be!

#10 DeAntonio

DeAntonio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (calla lily @ Feb 20 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was gonna ask if merf didnt

nice drop, I'll be looking for ideas

appreciate it

#11 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (bchapais @ Feb 20 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WoW Danny I book marked this page! yummie sounding recipes. Are you a cook? you should be!

Thanks !
I love cooking ... it's such a creative fun.
My grandmother studied with one of the greatest chef ever, Paracucchi, and she taught me all the secrets and tips and combinations. Although she eat refined foods, sugars, pasta and stuff; it's not hard to suit her knowledge to healthy eating.

I have another great recipe which does contain cheese (but the most digestible and almost devoid of casein one) and grains (but the most nutritious and low GI ones) and I assure you it's great and doesn't raise your blood sugar but gives you a lot of energy and nutrients.

Take 55 grams of cottage cheese [or 1/4 of cup]
Take 20 grams of oats (non instant!) [or 1/4 cup]
Take 1 whole egg
Take 1 egg white
Take 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Put the ingredients in a blender and blend till very smooth.
Put a pan over a low flame and let a bit of butter melt.
Pour the blender ingredients in the pan.
When the pancakes becomes solid turn it around and cook till well cooked.
Put in a plate and spread with a knife half teaspoon of honey (or use stevia) over the pancake.

This pancakes is high protein, low glycemic index, right amount of calories for one portion and tastes really good. If you're celiac you can't eat it or you must buy oats for people with celiac syndrome which is non-contamined certified oats.

If you know anyone who love pancakes but it's not very healthy or have a child or young cousing this a perfect healthy snack and breakfast and a great way to improves ones diet without giving up favorite foods.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

Here's a recipe I received from Dr Weil's newsletter. I thought maybe someone could experiment with replacing the wheat flour with potatoes or other flours.

Broccoli Pancakes

Description
Even if your kids don't like broccoli, they will eat these pancakes. You can serve them as a side dish, however they are certainly a meal on their own if you want to serve them as an entrée. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables including cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, turnip greens and kale are rich in antioxidants, which help protect against both cancer and heart disease.

Ingredients
1 large head broccoli
1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 small hot chili pepper or 1 teaspoon chili paste
1 large garlic clove, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 pinch salt
1 large egg or 2 egg whites
1/4 cup low-fat milk
A sprinkling of paprika

MOCK SOUR CREAM:
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
1/2 small onion or large shallot, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
Sprinkling of chopped fresh dill

Instructions
1. Cut the florets off the head of the broccoli and separate them by cutting the large ones in half so they are all more or less the same size. You should have about 3 cups. Discard the stalks, or save them along with any remaining florets to use in soup or a vegetable stir-fry.

2. Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium pan, then drop in the broccoli florets, cover, and let steam as they cook, for 3 minutes. Strain in a colander.

3. Put the steamed broccoli, onions, chili and garlic in a food processor and pulse on and off to chop (do not puree the vegetables), or chop by hand. Transfer the chopped ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir in the oil, flour, dill, and salt. Add the egg or egg whites and milk and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.

4. Smear the bottom of a large, nonstick skillet with 1/4 teaspoon of butter and set it over medium heat for about 1 minute. Drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot skillet, placing them far enough apart so that the pancakes don't touch, and cook over low to medium heat for about 1 minute. Turn the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer them to a hot platter to keep warm while you continue making the rest until all the batter is used up.

5. Mix all of the ingredients for the Mock Sour Cream together and spoon 1 teaspoonful on top of each pancake, then top with a sprinkle of paprika.

Makes 20 1-inch pancakes - 2 per person.

#13 Mountainman

Mountainman

straight up ganja toker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

ill share with you my favorite smoothie receipe
1 bannana
5-10 good chunks of frozen mango...or if not frozen add ice to the receipe
about a half cup of pure orange juice
optional: coconut oil (adds a nice tropical flavor smile.gif)
this smoothie is deliicious

also just a recommendation: get some good hommus..or make your own. I make really good plain hommus with flax seeds in it. That way you can get some omega 3s. Just search up a plain hommus receipe and add flax seeds.

And recently ive been eating something i made up to eat all these tomatoes that are all ripe from my garden:)
I usually eat them in a spinach wrap, which does have flour in it but are mostly spinach.
Anyways i just slice the tomatoes, put them in the wrap, add feta cheese and fresh basil. Then i cover it with a balsamic vinegrette (just about 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 balsamic vinegar). This is totally delicious. If you dont want to eat the wrap you could just go without and eat the tomatoes with the stuff on top. Still very good

Im kind of in the same boat as you though. Im a vegitarian and i eat super healthy but my parents are meat eaters and always enjoy their bad foods. Im usually on my own to come up with something to eat. Its fun though, just dont hesitate to try new combos of foods and what not.

#14 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

This is what i eat and i am a bodybuilder. went from 148 lbs to 165 lbs.. took 2 month

-Ezekiel bread ( To much of it gives u gas.. sad.gif )
-Cashew raw ( 1 handful a day or every other day )
-Chicken breast ( i eat this like 3-4 times a week cause to expensive )
-Red meat ( i eat this 2 times a week.. i saw eating alot is not healthy. )
-Sunflower seeds
-Salads ( lettuce , etc etc )
-veggies ( Broccoli , etc etc )
-fruits ( only bananas and strawberries which is for making smoothies only )
-100% Liquid eggwhites
-Almond butter raw for making smoothie I only add 1 tbs
-Whey protein isolate vanilla..
-extra virgin olive oil for my Salads!!! ( cashew raw Dressing is better ^^ )
-Beans ( Pinto beans , black beans... etc )
-brown rice ( I am trying to learn , Always comes out wrong , i need recipes. )

Good luck.. this is all i eat.

and i always feel great.. xcept for the gas i get. ={ but some people don't get gas =_=

#15 Glass Danse

Glass Danse

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (EddieE @ Oct 4 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what i eat and i am a bodybuilder.

lol. yeah, sure....

#16 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Glass Danse @ Oct 4 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (EddieE @ Oct 4 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what i eat and i am a bodybuilder.

lol. yeah, sure....

huh???

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

From Worlds Healthiest Foods, whfoods.org

Good way to eat sardines for the Omega 3 and the calcium.

3-Minute Sardine Spread
Great as an appetizer served on crackers or as a dip.
1 can (3.25 ounces) of sardines packed
in olive oil or water
4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 TBS parsley, chopped
1 tsp capers
1/2 tsp paprika
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1. Drain the oil or water from the can of Sardines.
2. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or
blender. Process or blend until smooth. Serve with
crackers or vegetables.

#18 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Parcels of Salmon Fillet with a Purée of Green Peppers
serves 4

4 salmon fillets (5 oz. each)
2 new onions
2 tablespoons sour cream
4-5 green peppers
1 lemon
5 tablespoons dry white wine
salt, pepper to taste

Wrap the peppers in cooking foil and bake in a hot over (450 degrees fahrenheit) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the sliced onions in white wine until it has evaporated. Season the fish with salt and pepper and squeeze a few drops of lemon over it. Wrap immediately in enveloped of cooking foil. Bake in hot over for 10 minutes.
Pell the peppers, cut them in half and blend with the onions and sour cream. Adjust the seasoning and serve the salmon surrounded by the purée of peppers.

#19 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

wholewheat pizza crust, cottage cheese and sauce..garlic ect... then you can still eat pizza with your family..and you can show them theres a better way to fill there pie holes..

this is called the Franco Columbu pizza. cool.gif

#20 r0ckst4r

r0ckst4r

BROKEN BEAUTY x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

this is just a simple little tidbit, but it works for me!

i cut out all milk, juice, and soda from my diet, and now i only drink water. it helps my skin calm down SOOO much. plus, its cheaper! i also don't drink any kind of alcohol. idk if that has a big effect, but just something to add to the equation. :]

-Audrey <3