Photo

What does milk do topically for the skin?

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 SeattleGirl

SeattleGirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 22
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Recently i've been putting some organic whole milk on a cotton pad and rubbing it all over my face after patting it dry after cleansing. I leave it for 2-10 minutes, it dries a bit, then I rinse it off and continue on with BP gel and moisturizer. Since i've been doing this my face feels much softer and looks more glowy.

Since it seems to be working (and isn't breaking me out), I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. But I'm curious on why milk does this. Does anyone know what ingredient(s) in milk do this? Or what exactly milk does for the skin when used topically? (soften it, make it firmer, etc)

I'm not complaining or anything, I guess I'm just curious smile.gif

#2 rian202003

rian202003

:^0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hi,
I think that milks have lactic acid in them, Its a good bacteria which is good for the skin .
Cleopatra used to bathe in it.
Man she was hot.

#3 wellknell

wellknell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Okay, lactic acid is not bacteria, and milk you buy in a store should not have bacteria growing in it. It's been pasteurized. Yogurt has "good" bacteria but should probably not be applied topically.
Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. The concentration found in milk is not really high enough to exfoliate skin, however, and the pH of milk is usually not in the optimal range for an AHA to work as an exfoliant.
Chances are the "glowy" effect is due to the fat content in the whole milk. Fats and oils make good moisturizers, as long as they don't clog your pores.
Putting food on your face is usually not a good idea, though, as it encourages bacterial growth which can lead to more acne. You know how milk has a propensity to "go bad"? That just means it has a propensity to grow bacteria, and the bacteria it grows is not "normal flora" on your skin. If you like putting milk on your skin, feel free to continue doing so, but watch for adverse effects. And don't forget to drink some, too! Your whole body will thank you for that.

#4 retaliate

retaliate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (wellknell @ Feb 18 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, lactic acid is not bacteria, and milk you buy in a store should not have bacteria growing in it. It's been pasteurized. Yogurt has "good" bacteria but should probably not be applied topically.
Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. The concentration found in milk is not really high enough to exfoliate skin, however, and the pH of milk is usually not in the optimal range for an AHA to work as an exfoliant.
Chances are the "glowy" effect is due to the fat content in the whole milk. Fats and oils make good moisturizers, as long as they don't clog your pores.
Putting food on your face is usually not a good idea, though, as it encourages bacterial growth which can lead to more acne. You know how milk has a propensity to "go bad"? That just means it has a propensity to grow bacteria, and the bacteria it grows is not "normal flora" on your skin. If you like putting milk on your skin, feel free to continue doing so, but watch for adverse effects. And don't forget to drink some, too! Your whole body will thank you for that.

I will have to agree with what wellknell said except the drinking the milk part. Why are humans drinking milk that cows produce for their babies?

#5 wellknell

wellknell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (retaliate @ Feb 20 2008, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will have to agree with what wellknell said except the drinking the milk part. Why are humans drinking milk that cows produce for their babies?

Because drinking human milk past the age of about 2 is just creepy? tongue.gif
Seriously, milk products (cow, goat, sheep, etc.) offer calcium and other nutrients in forms that are pretty absorbable (not a word, I know) by most people. After all, it's "made" for creatures that are pretty similar to humans. I respect your viewpoint, though, and as long as you're getting your daily calcium from something, then feel free to avoid milk.

#6 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Ummm...because cow's milk is a very nutritious food. Its protein is of EXCELLENT quality, and it has several important vitamins and minerals. Those are pretty good reasons to drink milk, aren't they? wink.gif

Now let's do a little test on YOU, just to see how logical and consistent your thinking is: if you think it's bad to drink the milk of another species for some (unspecified) reason, then explain to all of us why it is that you personally eat APPLES. After all, there is no genetic connection whatsoever between human beings and apple trees. Apples weren't designed by Nature to be eaten by humans. The specific purpose of an apple as designed by Nature is to help provide for the spread and propagation of the apple tree itself. It's grossly UNNATURAL for humans to eat apples. So why do you eat them? Why do humans eat fruit that falls from a TREE, of all things??

I await your answer with great interest. Let's see how consistent you are in your thinking.

#7 retaliate

retaliate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Feb 21 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm...because cow's milk is a very nutritious food. Its protein is of EXCELLENT quality, and it has several important vitamins and minerals. Those are pretty good reasons to drink milk, aren't they? wink.gif

Now let's do a little test on YOU, just to see how logical and consistent your thinking is: if you think it's bad to drink the milk of another species for some (unspecified) reason, then explain to all of us why it is that you personally eat APPLES. After all, there is no genetic connection whatsoever between human beings and apple trees. Apples weren't designed by Nature to be eaten by humans. The specific purpose of an apple as designed by Nature is to help provide for the spread and propagation of the apple tree itself. It's grossly UNNATURAL for humans to eat apples. So why do you eat them? Why do humans eat fruit that falls from a TREE, of all things??

I await your answer with great interest. Let's see how consistent you are in your thinking.

ROFLMAO, your post was quite funny. Well, milk also contains hormones injected to cows for more milk production etc. Furthermore, I believe the pasteurizing process which kills off some of the bacteria also kills some vitamins and minerals.

In reply to your apple tree comment. Some people are buried underground, so over course of a good amount of years, the atoms and stuff will mingle with the soil. So when a seed is planted and the roots absorb the water from the soil, it absorbs some of the ions as well? Plus, apples are eaten by humans because humans are able to alter their environment and are stronger than apples. That's why we eat apples and not the other way around. smile.gif

#8 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (retaliate @ Feb 22 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ROFLMAO, your post was quite funny. Well, milk also contains hormones injected to cows for more milk production etc. Furthermore, I believe the pasteurizing process which kills off some of the bacteria also kills some vitamins and minerals.

The issue isn't the injected hormones and the effect of pasteurization on vitamins and minerals. The issue is your implication that there is something unnatural about humans drinking milk from cows.

QUOTE (retaliate @ Feb 22 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In reply to your apple tree comment. Some people are buried underground, so over course of a good amount of years, the atoms and stuff will mingle with the soil. So when a seed is planted and the roots absorb the water from the soil, it absorbs some of the ions as well? Plus, apples are eaten by humans because humans are able to alter their environment and are stronger than apples. That's why we eat apples and not the other way around. smile.gif

I don't know what any of that is supposed to mean.

So do I assume correctly that you understand the point I made in my previous post? That there's nothing any more unnatural about drinking milk from a cow than there is about eating an apple from a tree or a sardine from the ocean or a mushroom from the forest? wink.gif Do you finally GET that, now?