Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SeattleGirl

What does milk do topically for the skin?

8 posts in this topic

Recently i've been putting some organic whole milk on a cotton pad and rubbing it all over my face after patting it dry after cleansing. I leave it for 2-10 minutes, it dries a bit, then I rinse it off and continue on with BP gel and moisturizer. Since i've been doing this my face feels much softer and looks more glowy.

Since it seems to be working (and isn't breaking me out), I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. But I'm curious on why milk does this. Does anyone know what ingredient(s) in milk do this? Or what exactly milk does for the skin when used topically? (soften it, make it firmer, etc)

I'm not complaining or anything, I guess I'm just curious :)

Okay, lactic acid is not bacteria, and milk you buy in a store should not have bacteria growing in it. It's been pasteurized. Yogurt has "good" bacteria but should probably not be applied topically.

Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. The concentration found in milk is not really high enough to exfoliate skin, however, and the pH of milk is usually not in the optimal range for an AHA to work as an exfoliant.

Chances are the "glowy" effect is due to the fat content in the whole milk. Fats and oils make good moisturizers, as long as they don't clog your pores.

Putting food on your face is usually not a good idea, though, as it encourages bacterial growth which can lead to more acne. You know how milk has a propensity to "go bad"? That just means it has a propensity to grow bacteria, and the bacteria it grows is not "normal flora" on your skin. If you like putting milk on your skin, feel free to continue doing so, but watch for adverse effects. And don't forget to drink some, too! Your whole body will thank you for that.

Okay, lactic acid is not bacteria, and milk you buy in a store should not have bacteria growing in it. It's been pasteurized. Yogurt has "good" bacteria but should probably not be applied topically.

Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. The concentration found in milk is not really high enough to exfoliate skin, however, and the pH of milk is usually not in the optimal range for an AHA to work as an exfoliant.

Chances are the "glowy" effect is due to the fat content in the whole milk. Fats and oils make good moisturizers, as long as they don't clog your pores.

Putting food on your face is usually not a good idea, though, as it encourages bacterial growth which can lead to more acne. You know how milk has a propensity to "go bad"? That just means it has a propensity to grow bacteria, and the bacteria it grows is not "normal flora" on your skin. If you like putting milk on your skin, feel free to continue doing so, but watch for adverse effects. And don't forget to drink some, too! Your whole body will thank you for that.

I will have to agree with what wellknell said except the drinking the milk part. Why are humans drinking milk that cows produce for their babies?

I will have to agree with what wellknell said except the drinking the milk part. Why are humans drinking milk that cows produce for their babies?

Ummm...because cow's milk is a very nutritious food. Its protein is of EXCELLENT quality, and it has several important vitamins and minerals. Those are pretty good reasons to drink milk, aren't they? ;)

Now let's do a little test on YOU, just to see how logical and consistent your thinking is: if you think it's bad to drink the milk of another species for some (unspecified) reason, then explain to all of us why it is that you personally eat APPLES. After all, there is no genetic connection whatsoever between human beings and apple trees. Apples weren't designed by Nature to be eaten by humans. The specific purpose of an apple as designed by Nature is to help provide for the spread and propagation of the apple tree itself. It's grossly UNNATURAL for humans to eat apples. So why do you eat them? Why do humans eat fruit that falls from a TREE, of all things??

I await your answer with great interest. Let's see how consistent you are in your thinking.

ROFLMAO, your post was quite funny. Well, milk also contains hormones injected to cows for more milk production etc. Furthermore, I believe the pasteurizing process which kills off some of the bacteria also kills some vitamins and minerals.