Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dermabrasion - Anyone?

141 posts in this topic

Love/Kiki

Micro-Dermabrasion did that to you? Wow thats pretty intense Md. Either they were not doing it properly or they used an extreme setting with very agressive movement/pushing down of tool.

I had 2 Micro-Derms done (Parisian Peel) and the 2nd one left me with 3 raised red swelling/patches. The reddness and raised skin healed and went away in 2 days but the largest red patch that i had has left a what seems to me a permanent darker hyper-pigmentation.

After the 2nd treatment the Aestheticians at the Plastic surgeon i went to got scared and wouldn't treat me anymore.

Right now I am scheduled to have Micro-Dermabrasion done in Chicago (about 1.5 hors drive for me) by the Doc you mentioned; Dr Stanley Kovak of Elm Hurst Memorial.

I told him about my past experience with Micro-Derm and he said they will be gentle with me.

I have had 1 IPL hair removal treatment on my face so far from them and I got confidence in him.

I only have 1 indented small scar but that nevr bothered me. 99% of my councern is flat,level with the skin red/brown/black marks and Hyper-pigmentated patches.

I am hoping that constant Exfoliation will eventually bring the scarred skin layers to the surface and gotten rid of. :-k

I just don't know if skin works like that :-k

Miserable,

have you looked into pro-lite for the discoloration on your skin?

You sound like an ideal candidate from what I have just learned about pro-lite.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. -John Lennon

Miserable, 

have you looked into pro-lite for the discoloration on your skin?

You sound like an ideal candidate from what I have just learned about pro-lite.

Emma…

Since you live in Philadelphia, have you thought about Dr. Rapaport?

BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT SELF-INJECTING DERMAL FILLERS, PLEASE READ THIS POST, HERE..

Kiki,

I most likely am having dermabrasion. I was told I need either that or laser. It really wasn't too much of a surprise as I have always thought I needed it. I'm leaning more towards dermabrasion. Why? Gut instinct is all I can say.

I know of Dr. Rappaport. He doesn't do dermabrasion. He is into lasers. I don't even think he does that much because when I spoke with his lady, she kept saying "You're too young for laser." even though I told her it was for scars. I think he likes n-lite and subcision, and tca cross--at least that is the impression I got. Right now, I'm not too keen on laser.I still need to have consultations, and of course there is the money(I don't have it), so it'll be a while. It'll give me time to research and contemplate biggrin.gif

I am scared that I'll look worse, but who wouldn't be? The most important thing seems to be to find someone really skilled.

So, you might be having it done in a month! Wow! You must be so excited.

I really think it'll work out well for you. I have a good feeling about it.

Good Luck,

Emma

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Did anyone happen to read the emedicine article someone posted earlier in this thread on Dermabrasion? And there was a comment about Dr. Yarborough being cited in the article?

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic744.htm

Dr. Harmon was the author.

BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT SELF-INJECTING DERMAL FILLERS, PLEASE READ THIS POST, HERE..

I've had microdermabrasion done on my shallow scars and it worked wonders - as for the deeper scars - it just made them look ragged and made them pink and healing took a long, long time for only a little gratification - in other wrods, it made them look a little bit softer on the edges but still just as deep...

If you have shallow scarring then for sure, go this route, but if you have deep scarring then give it a miss, unless you go for full dermabrasion and i cannot vouche for the success of that.

delerium...

That's what I'm noticing with the microdermabrasion too, but I'm not completely healed either.

delerium...

That's what I'm noticing with the microdermabrasion too as I am healing. I would even go so far as to say my deepest scars actually look worse.

I'm not completely healed, so I don't know if it will go away in time. I hope so.

Kiki

OH! Something to note:

I've noticed with my scars after microderm that if I leave them to look scabby and iccy for as long as possible to heal as they need to (without moisturising/exfoliating etc.) then they heal better. So - I know it looks gross, but leave the scabby scales on for as long as your skin needs them and let it slough it off itself.

It seems to make the skin heal up smoother if you leave it alone - in the areas I exfoliated to put make up over them those areas have the same scars as vefore - the other areas i left alone that weren't as visible have turned out a lot better. The redness seems to go a lot faster from those areas too (though they look a bit shabby under make up I'm sure you can deal with it for two weeks or so)

Just something I've noticed and it might help with the redness too.

It's hard to explain but it seemed to make them wider.

Hi guys,

The one thing I want to say is remember dermabrasion is not a "magic" overnight cure. The improvements I was expecting after one, were nowhere near the reality. This is a gradual process, thus why I had so many. I just don't want to see anyone get their hopes up too high and then crash when their skin does not come out looking smooth and perfect afterwards.

Dermabrasion helped me immensely and I hope the best for you guys as well.

~Misty user posted image

Okay I am weirded out now...  :-k 

Did anyone happen to read the emedicine article someone posted earlier in this thread on Dermabrasion? And there was a comment about Dr. Yarborough being cited in the article? Dr. Yarborough -- the doctor that costs about $4500 per Dermabrasion treatment? Who we love and wish we could see?

Here is the article:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic744.htm

WELL...Getting Excited Here... smile.gif 

Did anyone notice who the AUTHOR of that article WAS? Ooooh I am getting so excited right now I can hardly stand it!

It was Dr. Harmon - who is one of the doctors at the practice I'm scheduled to go to next month! Weeeeee! What are the odds?

Hmmmm...

Just sharing my amazement,

Kiki  biggrin.gif/

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

I think the widening of the scars is considered improvement. The more shallow they are, the easier it is to get rid of with subsequent procedures. Like, with your first dermabrasion some of your scars may be widened, which is why you need multiple procedures...right Misty?

Emma

Misty is right...

Dermabrasion sure isn't a magic-overnight cure. I've never heard of anyone having "Fantastic Results" from just one treatment.

You're welcome Kiki smile.gif

I'm glad someone else on here is looking into it too. We can compare notes, and share our research and concerns with each other.

Even though, I think I've done just about as much research as I can do, I read this thread and post here so I get input from others who have had Dermabrasions and want to share their experience, or are planning to have it, thinking about having it...or just to share and learn more.  

I keep learning from all of you  

Emma...

Have you found a doctor in your area yet?

I emailed Dr M several months ago and asked him somes Qs re: TCA CROSS. He did respond. I suggest you try again ... maybe he's out of town or very busy.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

Hi-

Just a few comments...

I have researched dermabrasion quite a bit over the years. I e-mailed Dr. Harmon months back and he responded quickly. If I remember correctly, he does spot dermabrasions quite often- as well as full-face. My mother had full-face dermabrasion 30+ years ago and her face looks great.

I had dermabrasion twice by Dr. Yarborough and did not have any problems with hyper/hypopigmentation. However, I'm lighter Asian...Type II-III, so there was less chance of pigmentation problems. Hope that helps.

Minnie

Hi, Minnie. Thanks so much for posting. Would you mind elaborating on your experience with Dr. Yarborough? Do you live there or did you travel to be treated? How long ago? Were you pleased with the results? Why did you go for a second treatment? Did you have full face or regional/spot treatment? Would you recommend this procedure with him to others? Sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just so tough to track down someone who has first-hand experience with him.

Thanks

--leo

"Every act of civilization is at once an act of barbarism."

-Walter Benjamin