Photo

What Moisturizer TRULY will not clog Pores????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 melanieg1028

melanieg1028

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:03 AM

Hello All,

I am a female in my young 30's and have had acne on and off for the last 15 years. When I was on the Ortho Tri Cyclen BCP for many years before I had kids my skin was at its best. When I get the Mirena IUD 2 years ago I started having more breakouts then I have ever had before on my chin and forehead and I am still breaking out every few weeks...I would say I am somewhere btwn mild-moderate. I probably make it worse by popping and touching them....I am trying to stop the addiction to try to get rid of those horrible things.

The last 2 months after finding this wonderful site I have been some changes to my own regimen:
1. I am drinking a ton of water a day
2. I am using the Nature's Cure tablet bc I figure it can't hurt....since my acne is coming from the inside
3. I am using Purpose gentle cleanser twice a day
4. I am applying 2.5% BP only on the pimples I do get...that stuff really works BUT

My face is SUPER dry and flaky due to the BP and also due to the winter air. My face gets so dry during the winter and is dry all over my face and literally feels like sandpaper

I have tried several moisturizers out there DK's, Clean and Clear, Neutrogena etc and I am convinced some ingredient in moisturizers makes me break out bc when I don't use one my face is pretty clear...just really dry especially during the winter. So I am so torn go with the flakes or go with the bumps....I think I would prefer flakes

I have reviewed the lists that are posted on this site explaining which ingredients truly do not clog pores

Any of you acne experts out there know which moisturizer is best that TRULY will not clog pores and also does not feel greasy....I hate the greasy stuff?

Thanks for your help!

#2 corpuskristen

corpuskristen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (melanieg1028 @ Feb 8 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello All,

I am a female in my young 30's and have had acne on and off for the last 15 years. When I was on the Ortho Tri Cyclen BCP for many years before I had kids my skin was at its best. When I get the Mirena IUD 2 years ago I started having more breakouts then I have ever had before on my chin and forehead and I am still breaking out every few weeks...I would say I am somewhere btwn mild-moderate. I probably make it worse by popping and touching them....I am trying to stop the addiction to try to get rid of those horrible things.

The last 2 months after finding this wonderful site I have been some changes to my own regimen:
2. I am using the Nature's Cure tablet bc I figure it can't hurt....since my acne is coming from the inside
4. I am applying 2.5% BP only on the pimples I do get...that stuff really works BUT

My face is SUPER dry and flaky due to the BP and also due to the winter air. My face gets so dry during the winter and is dry all over my face and literally feels like sandpaper

I have tried several moisturizers out there DK's, Clean and Clear, Neutrogena etc and I am convinced some ingredient in moisturizers makes me break out bc when I don't use one my face is pretty clear...just really dry especially during the winter. So I am so torn go with the flakes or go with the bumps....I think I would prefer flakes

I have reviewed the lists that are posted on this site explaining which ingredients truly do not clog pores

Any of you acne experts out there know which moisturizer is best that TRULY will not clog pores and also does not feel greasy....I hate the greasy stuff?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I am nearly 30 and suffer from hormonal acne too. My face gets really dry and flaky and I went through the same thing with finding a moisturizer. I tried all the raves...cetaphil, cerave etc but nothing has been short of a miracle for me than glycerin+water. Most stuff would cause me to breakout or wouldn't be moisturizing enough. Glycerin and water even worked when I had horrible retin-a lizard face. (My peeling got so bad that people didn't want to sit next to me at work for fear my face flakes would get on them sad.gif

I use 1 part glycerin to 6 parts water at night only after my differin has absorbed and my face is so soft,smooth in the morning that even after a thick app of benzaclin I don't need to apply it again until the next night. You have to tool around with the recipe to see what is going to be just right for you though. If I use too much glycerin my face is super shiny and slick the next day. Plus it is super cheap and lasts forever.

Hope this helps!

#3 dsrfgsertwe

dsrfgsertwe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

you could use cetaphil lotion, but it doesn't work that well for REALLY dry skin. right now i'm using pure all natural shea butter. i don't think it's made me break out. but it's really thick and heavy. i'm only using it because i'm on retin-a and my skin was peeling SO bad. i needed a really intense moisturizer. if your skin is literally craking on the surface, go for shea butter. otherwise, if it's just bad flakiness, try the cetaphil or what the above poster said.

#4 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

Vaseline (spread really thin, it's not too greasy)
Aloe Vera Gel (alone, not mixed with a moisturizer)

Most seem to feel aloe vera gel is drying without a moisturizer added in, though. It seems okay alone for me, at least.

#5 melanieg1028

melanieg1028

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

I have read several posts on here about the glycerin plus water recipe working very well for those of us misfortunate enough not to be able to find the best moisturizer

2 ingredients compared to the 10 plus that are usually find in most OTC moisturizers would be a safe bet. I can't even pronounce the ingredients that most contain

I will try the glycerin thing......from what I have read on this site as well that ingredient is truly non pore irrating and is supposed to help keep the skin from loosing moisture so I figure what the heck

I have to try something! Good luck to everyone.....

#6 jujilover

jujilover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

yes! def go with the glycerin..its the only thing that has never made me break out...
my derm suggested i use petroleum jelly which is supposedly non comedogenic and perhaps im just sensitive to it but it gave me a bad breakout which im just starting to get over....i know it was the vaseline cuz the breakouts was in the same exact spots where i applied the vaseline..oh well
of course this in no way means that u will break out from vaselien..im just sharing smile.gif

#7 christalclear:)

christalclear:)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

HELLO, I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MOISTURIZERS...CETAPHIL WORKS, BUT NOW I USE AN ARBONNE PRODUCT WHICH WORKS FANTASTIC FOR ME...YOU CAN ORDER IT ONLINE AT ARBONNE.COM...THOUGH IT'S A BIT PRICEY, BUT I'M ALLERGIC TO MANY MANY INGREDIENTS, YET NONE OF THE INGREDIENTS IN THAT MOISTURIZER BREAK ME OUT OR IRRITATE MY SKIN

IT'S PART OF THE "NUTRIMIN C RE 9" LINE, (I USE THE WHOLE LINE, EXCEPT NOT REALLY THE DAY MOISTURIZER, MY SKIN DOESN'T REALLY LIKE IT) THE "REcover Night Creme" I use it day and night, before and after the gym.

SOMETIMES I USE: "BIO OIL" MY MOM GOT IT FOR ME FROM ENGLAND, BUT I THINK YOU CAN BUY IT ONLINE AND RECENTLY I SAW IT ON TV SAYING YOU COULD GET IT AT LIKE WALGREENS, OR CVS, OR SOME DRUG STORE. WEBSITE: WWW.BIO-OIL.INFO ALSO, THE BIO OIL WORKS REALLY WELL WITH MINERAL MAKE-UP!

GOOD LUCK!

-CHRISTAL

QUOTE (melanieg1028 @ Feb 8 2008, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello All,

Thanks for your help!

#8 LaSwede

LaSwede

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

I personally love Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel (gel, not lotion!!). It has NEVER clogged my pores or caused any breakouts for me (kind of a first for me!). It is truly mild and soothing. Really nice texture and feel. For something even more moisturizing, try their "moisture surge". It makes the skin feel really plump and nice, and still, you guessed it, not pore-clogging. eusa_dance.gif
As mentioned, for a cheapo alternative, glycerin and water is great!

#9 Zitophobe

Zitophobe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Bumping this up as I have the same problem - EVERYTHING I've tried breaks me out eusa_wall.gif
Any more suggestions pleeeease? smile.gif

Where can I buy glycerin (in the UK)? Never seen it before, does it come in a packet/bottle?

Thanks all.

#10 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

^The chemist, it comes in a bottle. Buy another empty bottle so you can mix the glycerin and water together.

#11 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

I am 36 and have gone through, and still are going through a similar battle. If your skin is usually oily but is just dried out on the surface due to the BP try a moisturiser that is oil-free. My derm says this is what you should look for on the bottle not whether it is non-comedegenic or low irritant. I have used Cetaphil right through my course of Roaccutane (also another fantastic option) without a problem but i think it might be a little heavy on skin that is dry and breaking out. I am trying to find a moisturiser too and am currently looking into Skinceuticals products so I will let you know what I find out. I used them a long time ago and loved them but it became a bit expensive. I actually have no breakouts due to the Roaccutane but now that my skin is a clean slate I want to use something that is going to be really good at keeping my skin healthy. They are scientifically backed and my derm said that she had heard that they are good but she more advocates cheap products as she believes that you can get the same results. I tried that last time I came off Roaccutane (this was my second course) and ended up with worse skin than before. Take a look at their website and see what you think.

Good luck

#12 wellknell

wellknell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

What BP product are you using? If it's Neutrogena On-the-Spot, then stop! It's probably causing more harm than good if you're experiencing dryness. Benzoyl peroxide can be used as a spot treatment, but it's best to prevent the spots in the first place, right? Find a gentle BP product you can actually use all over your face. As far as moisturizers go, I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream, as it's got good ingredients and retinol (as long as your skin tolerates retinol) and has never broken me out. Paula's Choice makes some really great moisturizers and serums for oily skin, but I limit what I buy from her line as it can get pricey quick (but less expensive and much more productive than going to the department store).