Photo

Chia Seed

niacin calcium magnesium zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#41 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Yea but that shit is impossible to stop from going rancid. Can't do that.

According to this website estrogen is not an issue. I have read the same thing other places too. No concrete info on in though.

http://www.highonhea...than-flax-seed/
Please, use Retin-A. It has nearly eliminated my acne and continues to lighten my red marks.

#42 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

I have also have googled how digestible Chia Seeds are and all sites claim it is easily digested, but some advocate soaking in water.
Please, use Retin-A. It has nearly eliminated my acne and continues to lighten my red marks.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Packerfan785 @ Sep 4 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I don't get it, do they need to be soaked or are they fine to eat straight out of the package?

No, they are fine to eat, sprinkle on salads and stuff. They turn to a jell when soaked and are used to make drinks. See the original posts. There's even a chia milk substitute recipe.

Edited by alternativista, 04 September 2009 - 05:33 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#44 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Packerfan785 @ Sep 4 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to this website estrogen is not an issue. I have read the same thing other places too. No concrete info on in though.

Thanks for the link. I really doubt that chia seeds have no phytoestrogens. There's gotta be some, but we just don't know how much. In any case, that stuff made me really drowsy for some reason.

And about fish oils going rancid, you can always try krill oil as the high natural antioxidant content keeps it from going bad. Or you can try fermented cod liver oil. Either way, getting your omega 3s from animal sources is ideal if you're a guy. You won't really get much in the way of EPA and DHA from plant/seed sources of omega 3s.

#45 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (jksl @ Sep 4 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Packerfan785 @ Sep 4 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the link. I really doubt that chia seeds have no phytoestrogens. There's gotta be some, but we just don't know how much. In any case, that stuff made me really drowsy for some reason.

And about fish oils going rancid, you can always try krill oil as the high natural antioxidant content keeps it from going bad. Or you can try fermented cod liver oil. Either way, getting your omega 3s from animal sources is ideal if you're a guy. You won't really get much in the way of EPA and DHA from plant/seed sources of omega 3s.

No offense intended but I would like a link for the estrogen in Chia and the ability for men to get EPA and DHA from animals vs plants.

#46 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

I already posted that link for the EPA DHA. Here it is again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15075703

I don't have a link for the estrogen in chia seeds. I've been looking for such a link for a while now. But, oilseeds have phytoestrogens. High On Health does not provide a source for the claim that chia seeds don't have estrogens. Do you have a link to a reliable source saying chia seeds don't have phytoestrogens? Because, as far as i know, oilseeds have phytoestrogens.

Edited by jksl, 04 September 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#47 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

So what I get from that article is men don't get as much out of plant sources, but they still do get some correct? Thats all I really care about.

I'd rather get some, than get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil.

#48 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Packerfan785 @ Sep 4 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what I get from that article is men don't get as much out of plant sources, but they still do get some correct? Thats all I really care about.

I'd rather get some, than get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil.

According to the pubmed review, the transformation to EPA and especially DHA is "very low". In summary, it's written "adequate intakes of preformed n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular docosahexaenoic acid, may be important for maintaining optimal tissue function".

Basically the transformation is so low that they're recommending you get your sources of EPA and DHA preformed. You do not want "very low" intake of these acids, especially DHA since it's very crucial to fertility and brain health/function. Plus, you basically lose a bunch of DHA every time you ejaculate. Your stores of these acids must be kept at an optimum level, something that plant sources cannot provide for men.

And what do you mean "get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil"? That makes no sense whatsoever since fish oil is a prime source of preformed EPA and DHA. I already suggested certain alternatives to the rancidity issue, but if you're really that adamant about depriving yourself of these essential fatty acids that is your loss.

#49 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

P.S. If you didn't know, flax and chia seeds turn rancid very easily as well.

#50 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Tell me. How the hell can I get fresh fish oil when there are no stores around me that sell it. There is no way I will get it fresh when ordered online.

#51 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Krill Oil.

#52 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (jksl @ Sep 4 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Krill Oil.

Krill Oil still goes rancid. It has to be shipped long distance also. Who knows how long it has been sitting in a warehouse.

#53 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Chia seed goes rancid too. We don't know how long this stuff has been sitting in the storehouse either.

Seriously though even if i weren't going to take omega 3s from animals sources, i would not supplement with plant source omega 3s to make up for it. Instead, i'd just eat fish that's low on the food chain everyday. Rich ALA intake is associated with increased risk of macular degeneration and increased risk of prostate cancer in men.

Anyway, this is your body. You do what you want with it.

#54 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thing is Chia Seed has been noted to go rancid MUCH slower.

Though I just read that Krill Oil can stay from going rancid for two years at room temperature. Pretty skeptical about that though. Is there any concrete information on how often Krill Oil goes rancid on your, or how long it stays?

#55 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Packerfan785 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is Chia Seed has been noted to go rancid MUCH slower.

Though I just read that Krill Oil can stay from going rancid for two years at room temperature. Pretty skeptical about that though. Is there any concrete information on how often Krill Oil goes rancid on your, or how long it stays?

The anti-oxidant content is what fights rancidity. Krill oil is high in the antioxidants Astaxanthin, vitamin E, and vitamin A.

According to this page: http://dilesta.com/

A 1 gram serving of krill oil (2X 500mg capsules) has a super ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value of 378.

According to this page: http://www.nationaln...il.aspx?ID=2812

A 12 gram serving of chia seeds has an ORAC rating of 840.
840/12=70
So, 1 gram has a ORAC value of 70.

If we compare krill to chia gram to gram, krill has 5.5 times more protection against rancidity than chia.

Edited by jksl, 04 September 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#56 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

P.S. Of course, that's not a fair comparison since most of the weight calculated for the chia seeds goes to the actual seeds and not the oil. Less oil to protect, so it might not need such a high ORAC rating.

#57 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

I still want to be assured that if I order Krill Oil online it will not be rancid, and I can't find any information doing that for me.

#58 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

If you're that concerned about the rancidity issue, just eat fish more often.

#59 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (jksl @ Sep 4 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're that concerned about the rancidity issue, just eat fish more often.

Of course I am going to be concerned, you are paying money for something that is packaged in plastic yet goes rancid. Who knows how long it has been since it was first processed, and eating rancid fish oil is like eating hydrogenated oils.

#60 maxxie

maxxie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

When i first heard about chia seeds it seemed like they were like flaxseeds without the high estrogen but comparing the results of the two as fare as relieving acne, flaxseeds seem to be a clear winner. Flax results where miraculous for girls but guys had varying results.

Chia seeds just seem to be a healthy boost but not any real value as far as acne.

Anyone have success stories with the chia?