80 replies to this topic

#61 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Day 62

All OK. Earlier this week I went to the derms and met with a nurse who just asked me how I was doing. Got another prescription and an appointment again in 6 week, though they were happy to discharge me but I wanted to be able to see someone just in case. The nurse mentioned that if spots had started to disappear this early in the course then it was a good sign I won't need any more courses.

The nurse said just to be careful about over-moisturizing. Had never occurred to me I would be putting too much moisturizer on so from now on I'll moisturize the places I get really dry and will be very light everywhere else. I'm pretty sure if I don't thoroughly moisturize my body after washing I get a rash though, so will see.

Otherwise, skin is like before and pretty smooth.

Side effects are the same, very dry lips and quite dry nose. Joints OK (not great) but did weights at the gym twice this week and felt OK.

#62 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Day 76 (was away last week)

I was on holiday and spent a little bit of time in the sun and got burnt very quickly, I always forget how incredibly sensitive to the sun my skin is now (my facial skin at least). Even if it’s embarrassing, when I am out I have to always be in the shade or have a baseball cap near.

A week ago I had two small whiteheads appear on my forehead which was frustrating as I thought all the spots had gone. After a week they had faded. I also always seem to have little bumps under my forehead although way better than before and you can’t see them.

I’ve been moisturising a lot less on my face (particularly my forehead) and I don’t think I’m as shiny as before.

Side effects:
Very dry lips as normal, but manageable with frequent lip balm
Dry face and arms, but I always moisturise thoroughly after a shower in the morning and only need to top up patches of my face during the day (usually, nose/mouth/area around eyebrows)
Quite dry nose – as its dry I have to fight the urge to pick the dry skin within the nose, as it has created some scabs.
Joints and back feel fine again, didn’t do any exercise for the last week but did the weeks before so hopefully nearly back to normal after a long period of rest

Hope everyone else is doing OK

#63 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Back on page 2, I made a post about how I understand the cumulative dose to be calculated (remember to speak to your dermatologist though, I am not qualified and this is just a guide!). I’m using this again to figure out when I should finish this time.

The target you need to reach is 120mg of accutane per kg of your bodyweight. Another way of looking at this that you need to take the mg equivalent of your weight in kg (each 1 mg = 1 kg) in pills everyday for 120 days.

So I weigh 85kg and I should take 85mg for 120 days. This is a total dose of 10200 mg (120 * 85mg).

My first 6 weeks were on 40mg. So, 6 weeks (42 days) * 40 mg = 1680mg.

That means I then have another  15.2 weeks at 80mg.  15.2 weeks (106 days) * 80mg = 8520mg.

1680mg + 8520mg = 10200 mg, my total cumulative dose.

That is 148 days total.

By my guesswork I am 76/148.5 days and am now past half way. So, all being well, I should finish on Tuesday, November 12, 2013.

Notes for myself:
*If I was 90kg (5kg heavier) that equates to an extra 8 days of taking 80mg
**On my first course, I was on the lower dose for only 4 weeks (as opposed to 6 this time) but still took the pills for a similar number of total days; 147 days vs. 148 this time. Plus, I think I was taking a slightly higher dose of 85kg instead of 80kg. That would make my cumulative dose for my first course =11235. The difference between 10200 (second course) and 11235 (first course) is 1035, which equates to an extra 13 days of 80mg.

#64 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Day 83

All OK. Have been using much less moisturizer, particularly on my forehead. Skin seems OK, and mostly smooth without any spots. However, I think my forehead looks weird, maybe a bit blotchy and red/with red marks.

Side effects the same; dry lips frequently, patches of dry skin on my face especially on nose and between eyebrows and little dryness on arms. All manageable with decent moisturizing after a shower in the morning and topping up during the day. Back is OK and gums are OK so I'll just keep going...

#65 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Day 90

As before, seem to have a few bumps on my forehead, under and on the surface but no real spots.

Side effects as always, just keep on applying lip balm and moisturizing (though less and less on my face, just adding as I need to during the day)

#66 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

Day 104/~149

Feels like I'm getting close to finishing now! Had another check up with the derm (actually, it was a derm nurse). They ran through some forms with me and they realized they hadn't taken any blood tests since I started!, so I'll need to do that this week. She said everything looked good - which is nice to hear someone say - and that it should take about 4 weeks after I finish for the drugs to flush out of my system.

I also have had a little white spot like thing in my eyebrow since very early this year. Looked like a small whitehead but couldn't squeeze it or get rid of it. I mentioned it to the nurse who said it was quite common and she used a needle to remove it. A tiny bit of blood and now hopefully it will heal over and be gone in the next few days.

Skin is fine, although I do seem to have a few little bumps under the surface of my forehead. Maybe they're just part of my head. Anyway, no spots and skin is smooth. Happy to look in the mirror these days.

Side effects: all manageable through regular moisturizing. During the day - dry lips, dry skin on face anywhere I touch (e.g. nose, or around mouth) and dry nose (which I always feel i need to pick). Joint pains in back come and go, I just need to stop doing wieght and do some cardio instead.

I'm getting there...good luck to everyone else.

Edited by jonboystyle, 29 September 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#67 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Day 112/149

Skin on lower half of face is great. Skin on forehead is way better and mostly smooth. However, I still seem to have these odd few bumps and get the odd extra bump on my forehead (though I think that they fade). I didn't wash my face for a few days over the weekend so when I eventually did I had quite a bit of dry skin on my forehead - I forgot how sensitive my face is so when I was  removing /rubbed my forehead to get rid of it I think I created a bit of a raw patch.

Also, the little white head that had been around for months - that the nurse removed over a week ago - gradually came back. I just pulled it off and seems to have gone again but I imagine it will re-appear...

Had my blood test late last week so await the results.

Same side effects as before: dry lips and skin, weaker joints (need to be careful about my back) but nothing that isn't manageable with regular moisturizing and rest.

#68 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

118/149

Pretty happy with my skin, even bumps on forehead seem slight and not very visible. Have been washing daily but gently on my face and doing some exercise. Proper exercise is just going to have to wait til the tane is out of my system as my back just can't handle it too well.

Little white bump keep growing pack so I keep picking it away. No news on blood test so assume all is OK...

Normal,manageable side effects: dry lips and skin

I estimate about a month to go but could just count how many tablets I have left

#69 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

126/151 (+2 days as I counted how many pills I have)

I counted how many tablets I have left and it is 2 more days than I calculated - I finish on Thursday 14th November. So a bit over 3 weeks to go...looking forward to finishing as this has been hard on my joints, especially my back.

However, I am happy with my skin and hope it stays like this when I finish.

Side effects are the same; dry lips and dry skin but OK with top ups of lip balm and moisturizer during the day.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by jonboystyle, 21 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#70 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

132/151

Happy with my skin, although I have the odd bump on my forehead. Side effects are the same, dry lips and skin. I am a bit scared that I may have long term back problems and my lower right back continues to be sore, but will have to wait and see a month or two until after I finish. Not long now...

Good luck to everyone

Edited by jonboystyle, 27 October 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#71 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

140/151

Nearly there...happy with my skin, just have the odd bump on my forehead. Annoyed with constantly dry lips and flaky skin but its not that bad and is manageable. Have done virtually no exercise and back is feeling a lot better too. Just looking forward to finishing...

Good luck to everyone

#72 LoveLouisV

LoveLouisV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

That's great...almost done!  Good luck! 

xoxo

LoveLouisV

Check out my Accutane Log!!

#73 XXYY

XXYY

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

what were you using on your skin after your course finished and when the acne started to come back?

#74 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, LoveLouisV. Good luck with your course! Really appreciate the support

XXYY, I used the same things when i was on my course as I did when finished as I did when my acne came back.

#75 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

145/160

I have just discovered that i miscounted and have 9 days more of pills than I thought, so up to 160 days now. Alas, a bit longer to go...

#76 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

155/160

Nearly there...very happy with my skin, don't seem to have any spots and its great not being oily. Having said that, really looking forward to finishing as my back is still not quite right and the side effects are manageable but annoying (e.g. dry skin and dry lips). I am scared in case I have done something serious to my back but will have to wait and see, its not like I'm in agony or anything but it can be uncomfotable

Good luck to everyone else...

#77 LoveLouisV

LoveLouisV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Only a few more days left!!  :) 

xoxo

LoveLouisV

Check out my Accutane Log!!

#78 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks LoveLouisV!

Just about to take my last tablets...will provide update on how my body reacts to coming off the pills

#79 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

7 days post-tane

So far so good:

1. I am sleeping way better since the middle of this week (not sure if it is to do with the drugs or not though).

2. Although my lips are dry they are returning to normal - I don't need to apply as much lip balm, maybe a little bit every few hours, and the sides of my mouth aren't as cracked/sore as they used to be. So already in a week my lips have improved a lot.

3. Face is still dry but I'm still in the habit of regular mositurising so don't notice it really. However, I have noticed a few little spots appear on my forehead but they are barely visible, hopefully its just my body re-adjusting.

Hoping my back will continue to get better and will keep monitoring any changes. Good luck to everyone else

#80 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

22 days post tane

Hello! Happy with my skin, only one or two very small spots on forehead. Skin is still a bit dry (but nothing a little bit of moisturiser won't fix) and sometimes dry lips but not like when being on the drugs. Nose doesn't get as dry on the inside as before either.

Good news about my back, seems to be doing OK. Went to the gym yesterday and the day before for the first time in many months as it actually felt better the next day. But I plan to keep being carefully increasingt the weight and time in the gym (I also hadn't gained as much weight as I thought!)

Pleased with the drug so far, just hope it lasts...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users