Come on skin! Finished course

oily skin

80 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_missyjean130_*

Guest_missyjean130_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

One question- are you still extremely sensitive to the sun or is that improving?

Glad you saw improvement! That's very encouraging to me =)

#42 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks missyjean130,

I try and keep myself out of the sun having burnt so easily when on the tane so i'm not really sure about my sensitivity. However, i do think it has improved and i am going on a beach holiday shortly so i'll update on the outcome.

#43 Guest_missyjean130_*

Guest_missyjean130_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

have fun!! but wear sunblock just in case =x

#44 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

34 days post tane

Skin still doing well. Get the odd little spot which then heals up quickly.

Just got back from a week-long beach holiday; used sun-cream/block over my face and body and my skin was fine. In fact of all the holidays I’ve had my skin was the best it has been.

Considering I went bright red if I was outside for even a few minutes when on the tane I was ok on holiday and went from quite white (as you might expect from staying out of the sun) to getting some tan. My facial skin handled the sun quite well and this was bright, beach sun for quite a few hours each day for a week. I did get one big bump on my forehead but I think it was an insect bite!

Let's see what month 2 brings.

#45 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:18 AM

41 days post tane

Skin still doing well. Not really too much else to comment on.

Good luck to everyone.

#46 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

48 days post tane

Skin still doing well. Notice more oil coming back but still so much less than before and no real lasting spots. I hope it continues and am very happy.

Will update more infrequently now unless something happens. As such it really lands the point that these forums may well be more likely to feature the negative stories or unsuccessful courses as those who have effectively treated their skin woes will spend less time on the site.

Good luck to everyone.

#47 bocca84

bocca84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hi jonboystyle, i am new to this forum and after reading your accutane progress i was just wondering what your seb derm is like now post accutane?

#48 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hi all,

I wanted to come back and post as it has been over 5 months since I finished my tane course.

My skin is good and I hope it stays that way. I get the odd small spot but nothing like I used to and I’m no longer horrified of people looking at my skin. There is the odd dry patch but not as flaky as it used to be. The oil came back although I don't think it was as much as before I wish I didn't get it. My lips are slightly dry sometime but that may just be the winter conditions here. I think those are small issues and overall the results are very positive.

Like I said before, this post really lands the point that these forums may well be more likely to feature the negative stories or unsuccessful courses as those who have effectively treated their skin woes will spend less time on the site.

Who knows what happens in the future but I am extremely happy I took the course and wish I had done it much sooner in my life.

Good luck

#49 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

It has nearly been 1 year (11 months) since I finished my course and the good results continue. As I said a while back; who knows what happens in the future but I am extremely happy I took the course and wish I had done it much sooner in my life.

Good luck!

#50 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

It has been 5 years since I finished my last course of Isotretinoin in 2008. In early 2012 I started to notice lots of little bumps under my forehead and my skin seemed to get gradually worse and more oily (even so, my skin has remained way better than it ever was before taking isotretinoin). Over the next year I tried several creams and over the counter stuff but it didn’t work very well and as soon as I stopped the spots were back. So in early 2013, I went to my GP who referred me to a dermatologist. I went to one who was really terrible, said I didn’t have a problem and to wash my face and prescribed me antibiotics - the antibiotics did nothing. A few months later, I went to a second dermatologist and who prescribed me roaccutane on the NHS. It worked so well before, I am pleased to be back on it.

I’m now on my second course which I understand is fairly common. Like last time, I’m going to keep a weekly track of what happens in case it helps anyone.

Day 6

I started on Tuesday 18 June with a half course of 40mg for the first 6 weeks and then move up to 80mg if blood tests are OK.

Today is the first day I have had any sort of symptoms as my lips feel very slightly dry. My face has also gone quite red, like I've been in the sun. Otherwise, early days!

Edited by jonboystyle, 23 June 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#51 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Day 13

The drugs are working and very quickly. Skin gets really dry but I’m really pleased with how much better my skin looks. No breakouts or blotches yet. My forehead is much less oily and much smoother. When I wash my face I don’t feel so many little bumps!

I was checking my old log and I have almost exactly the same side effects as before:

Side effects this week:
-Joint pains! Especially in my lower back (on the right hand side). I had nagging injuries in my lower back for a while from weight training but the discomfort seems much worse since the tane so I’ve stopped all exercise to try and recover and am taking some fish oil / glucosamine supplements. I think it is gradually getting better but need to be careful. My knees are fine this time though.
-Dry lips, getting dryer and dryer all the time
-Dry, flaky skin, weirdly on my ears a lot. Doesn’t seem to matter how much I moisturise, within a few hours I am really dry, particularly around my mouth and top of my nose/around eyebrows and ears.

I’m even wondering exactly what I wondered several years ago: if I could wash my face less each week and continue to moisturise every day?

Good luck to everyone

#52 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Day 20

All good so far with the skin, just a few small red marks but my face feels smooth and no whiteheads or any spots. Although, It has been really sunny here and I got stuck outside and went red and burnt very quickly! Hope others can be more careful than me

Side effects (identical to day 20 the first time around):
-Dry lips!
-I am dryer all over, do have to constantly moisturize and it is the same areas that get noticeably dry; all around my mouth, nose and area between my eyebrows
- My nose seems rougher, may be because of blackheads
- Joint pains have got much better in the last few days but my back is pretty sensitive and doesn't feel quite right. I haven't done any exercise in nearly 2 weeks, have been taking glucosamine and trying to sit with better posture. I want to go back to the gm but do not want to rush anything.
-Sore throat (strangely I had a similar thing at exactly the same time in my first course of tane but find it is hard to believe the two are linked)

Hope everyone is doing well!

#53 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Day 28
One or two red marks and small spots on my forehead but my skin feels pretty smooth overall and without bumps.

Side effects:
Lips going really dry all the time, need lip balm very regularly. Pretty sore if I don't
Although I get dry around my mouth, nose and eyebrows throughout the day I find that after getting out of the shower and moisturising a lot in the morning I don't need to add too much extra moisturiser.
Lots of dryness over my arms, elbows and hands so will need to moisturise more there.
Back is still a bit sore
My gums around my teeth seem to have receded a bit, which I wonder is because I am slower to heal?

Just under 2 weeks and I should double my dose...

#54 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for posting, it helps to read someone's long-term experience.

I'm curious, after your first course did all of your side effects go away completely and how long did it take?

I am in my fifth month and was just wondering what I might expect.

#55 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hi everythingthatshimmers,

Thanks for your message. I just checked back through my old posts and it was about a month after finishing my course when my side effects had improved a lot, particularly things like dry lips and eyes. Over time they faded more and more and I got less dry skin. I am still sensitive to the sun but its fine with sun cream. However, I did remain a lot dryer and with significantly less spots, which is what I wanted.

Really good luck, you’re nearly there!

#56 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

Day 34
I have a few red marks on my forehead which haven’t changed but skin is smooth and no real spots. I haven’t washed my face in 24 hours and it’s not very oily at all.

Side effects:
Lips need lip balm quite regularly
After moisturising my whole face, ears and neck in the morning after a shower I need to top up around my mouth, nose and eyebrows throughout the day
Dryness on my arms but OK with one lot of moisturising after a shower in the morning

Two main concerns: Been nearly a month of no gym and back still isn’t right so will see my doctor soon although might not be related to the tane at all. Gums are a bit sore and receded but I’ve been brushing them more softly which has helped.

One more week and then double my dose

#57 readytolive

readytolive

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

interested to see how your second course goes good luck!

#58 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Day 42

Same as before: skin feels smooth all over. Have been wearing sunblock so have a few small spots but hardly any really.

Side effects

As long as I keep applying lip balm regularly throughout the day, and thoroughly moisturize all over my face, neck, arms and hands (everywhere!) in the morning I am OK for the day apart from the odd top up.

Back is much better (5 weeks with only very light exercise so gained a lot of weight)...but still not quite right...

Have been more gentle on the gums and I think that has helped but must keep an eye on them

I may be one day early but will double my dosage tonight to 80mg (4 tablets of 20mg). Hope its not too tough for my body

#59 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Day 48

So far, this week has been fine on the higher dose. I might be a bit dryer but nothing too different as far as I can tell. I think my face is quite red but no really visible spots.

Side effects are same as before. Back continues to get gradually better and I think good posture helps. I will try gentle exercise and see what happens...gums are definitely weaker than before so I just try to brush really carefully.

#60 jonboystyle

jonboystyle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Day 55

Skin is continuing to be good – it’s smooth with only the odd little spot or bump on my forehead but looking clear most places! Really pleased and hope it continues like this

Side effects, since increasing the dosage:
Very dry lips – I thought I was applying lip balm a lot before but now it is almost all the time!
Although my face and body is dry, as long as I moisturise a lot after having a shower in the morning I only have to apply a little bit extra during the day to the my face (mainly around my mouth and nose)
Dryer inside my nose (which can have some dry blood in it)
Dry eyes

Think it might be affecting my bowel movements but not sure...
Joints are OK, I went to the gym a couple of times this week and did weights and it was OK on my back (need to lose some weight having done no exercise for 6 weeks before!)
Gums have also been OK and I have been much more gentle when brushing

I am off to see the dermatologist later this week so hopefully all will be OK. Good luck to everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users