Photo

**Important** Don't Wash Your Face Too Often

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
186 replies to this topic

#1 misterhealthman

misterhealthman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

This is very important but yet so overlooked by many. It took my over 2 years to figure this out and I am so glad that I did. I am really big into Holistic approaches to acne and I have come a long ways, I feel so much better, I seriously haven't been sick since I went to boot camp in the summer of 2004.

My skin has improved so much since eating healthy and exercise, mixed in with colon, kidney, liver flushes, fasts and all that stuff, it has done wonders for my skin. However I would still get break outs and I couldn't understand, my skin felt incredible, I would always wonder, why am I still breaking out? It doesn't make sense.

Then I came a crossed something that just opened my eyes and I was like DUH!!

See every single day I would steam my face, and then do the baby brush and baking soda or tea tree oil soap, after that I would put on a clay mask with tea tree oil. Everyday I would do that, all that scrubbing mixed that with a hot shower everyday. I would put aloe vera gel on my face throughout the day to moisturize and my face would get bright red, and I mean bright. I didn't think much of it but I realized that my face was incredibly dry if I was getting that red, it just felt chapped. That went on for 2 years.

I came a crossed information about this, all that scrubbing and washing was drying out my skin and that makes your skin weak, as a result your body will overproduce oil to compensate for the dryness and because your skin is so dry your face cannot shed skin cells well and as a result clogged pores=ACNE. This might be a well duh statement but just think how often you wash your face and how dry it is from all the stuff you use?

Now I only do the routine once a week and the other days just wash my face with water and it is doing wonders. This may not be a miracle cure but in reality this is something that I wish I would have found out 2 years ago.
Jeremiah 17:7-8

7 β€œ Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
And whose hope is the LORD.
8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
Which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear[a] when heat comes;
But its leaf will be green,
And will not be anxious in the year of drought,
Nor will cease from yielding fruit

#2 pixxekurlz222

pixxekurlz222

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

I think your on to something. I've realized that soaps and cleansers were stripping my skin of natural oils, thus my skin would go to overdrive, producing more oil. It's a vicioius cycle. I recently fell in love w/ a natural soap...it worked for awhile until it dried out my skin. So, now I'm cleansing with just castor oil and jojoba oil. I'm going to get a facial steamer as well. My skin looks better now that I'm cleasing my skin with oil. Who would have thought? I'm also only rinsing off my body with water now...no more soap. I think drying our skin to prevent acne actually works against us. Anyway, I also just finished a colon cleanse, which I think contributed to my skin clearing a lot. I'm moving into an internal (organ) cleanse this week. Right now I only have a few pimples...and scars of course.

#3 misterhealthman

misterhealthman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (pixxekurlz222 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your on to something. I've realized that soaps and cleansers were stripping my skin of natural oils, thus my skin would go to overdrive, producing more oil. It's a vicioius cycle. I recently fell in love w/ a natural soap...it worked for awhile until it dried out my skin. So, now I'm cleansing with just castor oil and jojoba oil. I'm going to get a facial steamer as well. My skin looks better now that I'm cleasing my skin with oil. Who would have thought? I'm also only rinsing off my body with water now...no more soap. I think drying our skin to prevent acne actually works against us. Anyway, I also just finished a colon cleanse, which I think contributed to my skin clearing a lot. I'm moving into an internal (organ) cleanse this week. Right now I only have a few pimples...and scars of course.

Yeah, to me this has been a revolutionary find when it comes to my skin. It has been right under our noses and yet it seems very few talk about this. Maybe some of you out their need to cleanse your face more than once a week, the trick is 2 not over dry your skin. Long hot showers will do that, especially if you have hard water like me. If your face is dry or chapped anytime of the year, then you are in trouble of producing more oil and more acne.

#4 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (misterhealthman @ Jan 23 2008, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came a crossed information about this, all that scrubbing and washing was drying out my skin and that makes your skin weak, as a result your body will overproduce oil to compensate for the dryness...

Your sebaceous glands don't overproduce oil to "compensate" for anything. Please don't repeat what has become a ridiculous Urban Myth.

#5 misterhealthman

misterhealthman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Jan 23 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came a crossed information about this, all that scrubbing and washing was drying out my skin and that makes your skin weak, as a result your body will overproduce oil to compensate for the dryness...

Your sebaceous glands don't overproduce oil to "compensate" for anything. Please don't repeat what has become a ridiculous Urban Myth.

Urban Myth, it is a fact that if you over wash your face and strip your face of its natural oils that it will indeed produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. Also, making your face that dry will weaken your bodies ability to shed skin cells resulting in clogged pores.

#6 Glennart

Glennart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yepp, I only use water on my face. Same thing with my hair. I have never haid any complaints about how my hair looks. One of my friends even told me it smelled good, hehe.

This also saves time and money. wink.gif

#7 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (misterhealthman @ Jan 23 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Urban Myth, it is a fact that if you over wash your face and strip your face of its natural oils that it will indeed produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. Also, making your face that dry will weaken your bodies ability to shed skin cells resulting in clogged pores.

Washing our faces twice a day is perfectly normal. I think its a myth too. Its like when people say dont wash your hair everyday because it strips your hair of its natural oils. Everyone has different hair and everyone has different skin. For me, my hair gets incredibly oily and disgusting if I dont wash my hair once a day, same with my face
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#8 misterhealthman

misterhealthman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (acne_battle @ Jan 23 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Washing our faces twice a day is perfectly normal. I think its a myth too. Its like when people say dont wash your hair everyday because it strips your hair of its natural oils. Everyone has different hair and everyone has different skin. For me, my hair gets incredibly oily and disgusting if I dont wash my hair once a day, same with my face

I'm not telling anyone to stop washing their hair or face, I take one shower a day and wash my face with water once or twice a day with water. Everyone is different, if your face is dry./chapped then you are over washing it and acne will most likely result if you are prone 2 it.

#9 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (misterhealthman @ Jan 23 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (acne_battle @ Jan 23 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not telling anyone to stop washing their hair or face, I take one shower a day and wash my face with water once or twice a day with water. Everyone is different, if your face is dry./chapped then you are over washing it and acne will most likely result if you are prone 2 it.

I think my face is dry and chapped because of the finacea and the moisturizer I was using. Plus I think I have an allergy to dairy products and its winter.

AM regimen
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#10 pixxekurlz222

pixxekurlz222

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

Just speaking from my experience, I don't think this is an urban myth. I probably wash my hair once a week, but I rinse it everyday. Also, as I've mentioned, I've been doing the oil cleansing method--only using oil to wash my face. The idea is that "oil dissolves oil." The skincare industry would like us to think that we absolutely need all these cleansers for our skin and hair. But as I've come to find, after spending too much money on too many products, these products stripped oil out of my skin, leaving my skin to repair itself by replacing the stripped away oil, thus having an oily slick at the end of each day, thus creating more acne. That being said, it is amazing how non-oily my face is now that I'm using oil and warm water to cleanse.

#11 craven20

craven20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

i agree with you 100%, my skin is less dry when I just wash with water and avoid cosmetic products. some of the healthiest people on the planet with brilliant skin (e.g. the okinawans, hunzakuts, campodimelans) live in remote areas with no "regime" to speak of except fresh fish, veg, and fruit, fresh air, exercise and close knit community life. they do alright without cleansers and moisturisers!

#12 countdown2failure

countdown2failure

Take four lefts.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

It's not a "myth", it's an accepted fact. If you strip your skin of it's essential oil on a regular basis, it will produce more to compensate. But washing your face twice a day should be perfectly fine for most people as long as they moisturize. And moisturizing as part of anyone's regimen is must, in my opinion.

misterhealthman is 100% correct:

it is a fact that if you over wash your face and strip your face of its natural oils that it will indeed produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. Also, making your face that dry will weaken your bodies ability to shed skin cells resulting in clogged pores.

Dan (the website owner) even says not to over-wash your face.
F*ck Cameras
------------
Don't point that thing at me lest I break it and cram it down your throat.

#13 misterhealthman

misterhealthman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, for me this has been such a huge discovery yet so simple. Yeah sure I have heard so many times before don't over wash your face it will cause more oil. I just didnt realize how dry I was making my face.

Its simple everyone, if you are making your face dry/chapped with your over use of products,2 long of hot showers or whatever you are weakening your skins ability to shed skin cells and will produce more oil.

#14 tdot

tdot

Meow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (pixxekurlz222 @ Jan 23 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just speaking from my experience, I don't think this is an urban myth. I probably wash my hair once a week, but I rinse it everyday. Also, as I've mentioned, I've been doing the oil cleansing method--only using oil to wash my face. The idea is that "oil dissolves oil." The skincare industry would like us to think that we absolutely need all these cleansers for our skin and hair. But as I've come to find, after spending too much money on too many products, these products stripped oil out of my skin, leaving my skin to repair itself by replacing the stripped away oil, thus having an oily slick at the end of each day, thus creating more acne. That being said, it is amazing how non-oily my face is now that I'm using oil and warm water to cleanse.

This seems so weird to me.... the only non-holistic things I havent changed when it comes to my skin is the fact that I still use Specro Jel as a cleanser twice a day and complex 15 as a moisturizer... I would like to use natural stuff but I am always scared of breaking out because of switching products.... Pixxekurlz what meathod do you use to wash your face with oil??? I would relaly like to try this meathod I am just cared. my skin is EXTREMELY oily, if I run my finger accross my forhead at 6pm it will look like I dipped it in veggie oil or something... I really wish it would stop being so oily.
One day...

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

#15 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (misterhealthman @ Jan 23 2008, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Urban Myth, it is a fact that if you over wash your face and strip your face of its natural oils that it will indeed produce more oil to compensate for the dryness.

You're about 50 years behind the times! eusa_hand.gif The old "feedback theory" has been soundly refuted experimentally over the years.

BTW, regarding your use of the term "strip your face" in this context: why do people just _love_ to use that clichΓ©? Why not just say "wash the natural oils from your face"? eusa_think.gif

#16 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

How is washing our face twice a day (those of us that do) over washing though =/

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#17 countdown2failure

countdown2failure

Take four lefts.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

I think washing your face twice a day is fine. It's good. When I don't wash my face twice a day, I get breakouts. But I moisturize after every washing to prevent my skin from becoming too dry and producing excess oil.
F*ck Cameras
------------

#18 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (countdown2failure @ Jan 23 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not a "myth", it's an accepted fact. If you strip your skin of it's essential oil on a regular basis, it will produce more to compensate.

I suggest you read the relevant medical literature before making pronouncements about what you think is an "accepted fact".

#19 countdown2failure

countdown2failure

Take four lefts.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Jan 23 2008, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (countdown2failure @ Jan 23 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not a "myth", it's an accepted fact. If you strip your skin of it's essential oil on a regular basis, it will produce more to compensate.

I suggest you read the relevant medical literature before making pronouncements about what you think is an "accepted fact".

Look, anyone can prove this to themselves, and likely did when they first started getting acne. I know I figured it out the hard way. When you first started getting acne, didn't all the ads tell you that you face was dirty, and that you needed to clean it more and more? And so you washed like 4-5 times a day or more? And what happened? Did your skin not get super oily and make you break out worse? Almost everyone I have ever talked to whom has had acne has experienced this.
F*ck Cameras
------------

#20 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

I didnt because when I first had acne I saw a derm shortly there after

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline