Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does water temperature really effect pores?

11 posts in this topic

does hot water really open pores and cold water close them?

if so, would it be better to use hot water to open pores before applying a topical?

2gs of vitamin c

60 mg of optizinc

2gs of fish oil

dermalogica cleanser(until i use it up and then i will find a natural light cleanser)

nucelle 10% mandellic acid or Volcano-X sulfur cream when my skin is feeling dry.

I don't like hot water as it tends to irritate the skin. You're better off gently exfoliating either mechanically (baby's hair brush method) or chemically (AHA, etc) to improve penetration of topicals rather than using hot water.

Washing with warm water is so much better for the skin. It will reduce irritation and redness, too. Try it! I wash with warm, rinse with warm, and then do a final cool or cold water rinse. It feels very nice and keeps my skin from being 'tight' after a wash, and helps it feel cleansed and comfortable at the same time.

:)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

I don't like hot water as it tends to irritate the skin. You're better off gently exfoliating either mechanically (baby's hair brush method) or chemically (AHA, etc) to improve penetration of topicals rather than using hot water.

Washing with warm water is so much better for the skin. It will reduce irritation and redness, too. Try it! I wash with warm, rinse with warm, and then do a final cool or cold water rinse. It feels very nice and keeps my skin from being 'tight' after a wash, and helps it feel cleansed and comfortable at the same time.

:)

My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen

Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash

Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream

Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles

Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen

Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls

starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only

Apply Differin to face and chest

Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream

Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

if so, would it be better to use hot water to open pores before applying a topical?

thanks all.

2gs of vitamin c

60 mg of optizinc

2gs of fish oil

dermalogica cleanser(until i use it up and then i will find a natural light cleanser)

nucelle 10% mandellic acid or Volcano-X sulfur cream when my skin is feeling dry.

For what it's worth (which isn't very much), I don't recall ever seeing anything in the medical literature about this alleged "pore-opening" or "pore-closing" effect of hot and cold water (respectively). Even if it's actually true, my hunch is that the effect doesn't last very long, anyway, making the question rather moot.

I read (obviously that doesnt mean its true) that the pores have no muscular lining to constrict in any way, its more that the cold water has a temporary tightening effect on the actual skin as a whole due to the effects of temperature on vascularity which may slightly close the pores as the skin constricts, but its negliable. No product really can tighten pores, its just that when a pore is producing normal amounts of oil and is not getting clogged than it appears smaller as there is no blockage to stretch it out. The only thing that can really acheive that is accutane.

Logs

My Accutane Logs

External:

Mandelic Acid Serum 15% Twice Daily

Internal:

Multivitamin

1x1000mg Fish Oil and 1x500mg StarFlower Oil Twice Daily

15mg Zinc

Probiotic

Status: Clear, almost "accutane good" but can get oily by the end of the day. Occasional tiny shaving spot but nothing i can complain bout.

The same applies to hair. Many hairdressers say to wash hair in warm water and do a final rinse in cold water to reseal the hair cuticles.

My Regimen:

Started Accutane 1/12/10! Done as of 7/10/10!

Cleanser: Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser (AM&PM)

Moisturizer: Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (AM)

Topicals: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (PM)

Other Pills: Velivet, Zinc, Vitamin E, Biotin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, B Complex vitamins and Iron

Makeup: Lately, none, but when I do:

Meow Cosmetics Frisky Ocicat foundation

and whatever blush, eyeshadows, I deem necessary to wear.

Also, L'Oreal black eyeliner always.

Current Status: Face looking pretty darn good.

My Regimen

AM

-wash w/obagi clenziderm cleanser

-tone w/obagi clenziderm toner

-obagi elastiderm eye gel and obagi theraputic moisturizer

-100 mgs of minocycline

pf talc free mineral concealer and powder

Body Care

-wash w/aveeno moisturizing body wash, moisturize w/aveeno moisturizing lotion

paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and condtioner/or color treated

Daily Supplements

-b complex with vitamin c included,cod liver capsules 2x a day vit a and d

diet

-mainly fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, some pasta, some nuts, limit wheat, no dairy, no caffeine, limit sugar, limit citrus fruits, drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day, drink tea

PM

-wash w/obagi clenziderm cleanser

-tone w/obagi clenziderm toner

-treat w/obagi clenziderm 5% bp

-100mgs of minocycline

Body Care

-wash with aveeno cleanser

-retin-a .5 or.1% on back