Photo

does water temperature really effect pores?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 firefly3

firefly3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

does hot water really open pores and cold water close them?

if so, would it be better to use hot water to open pores before applying a topical?
2gs of vitamin c
60 mg of optizinc
2gs of fish oil

dermalogica cleanser(until i use it up and then i will find a natural light cleanser)
nucelle 10% mandellic acid or Volcano-X sulfur cream when my skin is feeling dry.

#2 Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

yes

#3 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

I don't like hot water as it tends to irritate the skin. You're better off gently exfoliating either mechanically (baby's hair brush method) or chemically (AHA, etc) to improve penetration of topicals rather than using hot water.

Washing with warm water is so much better for the skin. It will reduce irritation and redness, too. Try it! I wash with warm, rinse with warm, and then do a final cool or cold water rinse. It feels very nice and keeps my skin from being 'tight' after a wash, and helps it feel cleansed and comfortable at the same time.
smile.gif

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#4 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 18 2008, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like hot water as it tends to irritate the skin. You're better off gently exfoliating either mechanically (baby's hair brush method) or chemically (AHA, etc) to improve penetration of topicals rather than using hot water.

Washing with warm water is so much better for the skin. It will reduce irritation and redness, too. Try it! I wash with warm, rinse with warm, and then do a final cool or cold water rinse. It feels very nice and keeps my skin from being 'tight' after a wash, and helps it feel cleansed and comfortable at the same time.
smile.gif

I have never tried the cold water rinse after washing my face with warm water. I just tried it and my skin feels a bit better. Thanks for the tip Wynne! wub.gif
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#5 Alona

Alona

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

if so, would it be better to use hot water to open pores before applying a topical?

Yes, it is true. My thinking is to use warm water (hot will dry your skin and make it more red) to open your pores when cleansing, rinse with warm, then after the first rinse rinse again with cool water to close the pores. I don't think it makes much difference if your pores are open or closed when you apply your topicals, but you want to make sure nothing gets down in there that you don't want. If you wear makeup you def. want them more closed first.

#6 firefly3

firefly3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

thanks all.
2gs of vitamin c
60 mg of optizinc
2gs of fish oil

dermalogica cleanser(until i use it up and then i will find a natural light cleanser)
nucelle 10% mandellic acid or Volcano-X sulfur cream when my skin is feeling dry.

#7 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

For what it's worth (which isn't very much), I don't recall ever seeing anything in the medical literature about this alleged "pore-opening" or "pore-closing" effect of hot and cold water (respectively). Even if it's actually true, my hunch is that the effect doesn't last very long, anyway, making the question rather moot.

#8 TCat

TCat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

I read (obviously that doesnt mean its true) that the pores have no muscular lining to constrict in any way, its more that the cold water has a temporary tightening effect on the actual skin as a whole due to the effects of temperature on vascularity which may slightly close the pores as the skin constricts, but its negliable. No product really can tighten pores, its just that when a pore is producing normal amounts of oil and is not getting clogged than it appears smaller as there is no blockage to stretch it out. The only thing that can really acheive that is accutane.
Logs

My Accutane Logs

External:

Mandelic Acid Serum 15% Twice Daily

Internal:

Multivitamin
1x1000mg Fish Oil and 1x500mg StarFlower Oil Twice Daily
15mg Zinc
Probiotic

Status: Clear, almost "accutane good" but can get oily by the end of the day. Occasional tiny shaving spot but nothing i can complain bout.

#9 Jenstar

Jenstar

Jenstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

The same applies to hair. Many hairdressers say to wash hair in warm water and do a final rinse in cold water to reseal the hair cuticles.
See my log:
Jenstar's quest for clear skin using mandelic acid
http://www.acne.org/...p...=182630&hl=

#10 headtrip_honey

headtrip_honey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Jenstar @ Jan 18 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same applies to hair. Many hairdressers say to wash hair in warm water and do a final rinse in cold water to reseal the hair cuticles.

Hair cuticles are much different, physiologically, than pores. While cold water is beneficial for hair cuticles, the temperature of the water really doesn't have any effect on how "open" your pores are. Pores do not open and close like doors. Although the idea may make sense, as though they were little valves or something, this isn't the case.

However, water temperature does make a difference in other ways. Hot water can lead to broken capillaries near the surface of your skin, so it's a no-no. Washing with warm water is recommended, and I've always likened it to doing dishes. Have you ever tried doing dishes with cold water? Possible, yes, but much more difficult. Does anyone know if water temperature has some effect on dissolving oil/dirt? I would think that the warmer the water, the less viscous (or more...I always get viscosity confused....I mean thinner, more fluid! Any help?) the oil on your face, and the easier to wash it away. Cold water might actually make oil harder to wash off, if this is the case.

What cold/warm water do do for your pores is this: Warm water or heat in general actually makes your skin expand (for girls who wear rings...you know how they're tighter in the summer? Yeah, this is why), so I guess it could make the pore openings LOOK larger, and when combined with less (or more?) viscous oil, make people think they're opening their pores up. Cold water constricts blood vessels and doesn't have as severe a plumping effect as warm, so I suppose it could make your pores look smaller.

I guess that was a long way to say: NO, pores do not open and close. But water temperature does matter, and can have a visual effect on skin.

Plus warm water just feels nice, doesn't it?

My Regimen:

Started Accutane 1/12/10! Done as of 7/10/10!

Cleanser:
Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser (AM&PM)
Moisturizer: Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (AM)
Topicals: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (PM)

Other Pills: Velivet, Zinc, Vitamin E, Biotin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, B Complex vitamins and Iron

Makeup: Lately, none, but when I do:
Meow Cosmetics Frisky Ocicat foundation
and whatever blush, eyeshadows, I deem necessary to wear.
Also, L'Oreal black eyeliner always.

Current Status: Face looking pretty darn good.

#11 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (firefly3 @ Jan 17 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

luke warm water is much better for your skin. it will open your pores without burning.

My Regimen
AM
-wash w/obagi clenziderm cleanser
-tone w/obagi clenziderm toner
-obagi elastiderm eye gel and obagi theraputic moisturizer
-100 mgs of minocycline
pf talc free mineral concealer and powder

Body Care
-wash w/aveeno moisturizing body wash, moisturize w/aveeno moisturizing lotion
paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and condtioner/or color treated

Daily Supplements
-b complex with vitamin c included,cod liver capsules 2x a day vit a and d
diet
-mainly fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, some pasta, some nuts, limit wheat, no dairy, no caffeine, limit sugar, limit citrus fruits, drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day, drink tea
-treat w/obagi clenziderm 5% bp
-100mgs of minocycline

Body Care
-wash with aveeno cleanser
-retin-a .5 or.1% on back