Photo

Missed Periods

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

I'm a little concerned because for the past 3 months I have not gotten my menstrual cycle. I know 100% I'm not pregnant.

The past 3 months I have
-started taking MINOCYCLINE for my acne
-started taking an antidepressant
-i've lost 15 lbs in the past year or so. 140lbs to 125lbs
-i've changed my diet a little

Does anyone know what might have caused this and what my options are to start having it again? My dr told me she could give me a pill to start again but I want to find the underlying issue. Could they run blood tests? Scans? I just don't want to jeopardize anything down the road.

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:45 AM

I do not think the weight loss is sufficient to cause amenorrhea, but if you are at a very very low BMI (Body Mass Index), your periods may have ceased due to that alone. If you have an eating disorder, that can sometimes cause amenorrhea.

I have not heard of mino causing amenorrhea, nor of any anti-depressants that cause amenorrhea. What's the anti-depressant? Sometimes some medications are used for other issues and have different side effects. Something may be prescribed for depression but it is actually a hormonal medication, in other words.

#3 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not think the weight loss is sufficient to cause amenorrhea, but if you are at a very very low BMI (Body Mass Index), your periods may have ceased due to that alone. If you have an eating disorder, that can sometimes cause amenorrhea.

I have not heard of mino causing amenorrhea, nor of any anti-depressants that cause amenorrhea. What's the anti-depressant? Sometimes some medications are used for other issues and have different side effects. Something may be prescribed for depression but it is actually a hormonal medication, in other words.

Effexor XR. I take 112.5mgs in the am. my dr was going to increase me to 150mgs but she said she wanted to wait awhile because i'm small. I'm about 5'4 and 125lbs.

#4 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

I have not heard that Effexor XR can cause missed periods. I would want to get to the underlying cause, myself. Rapid weight loss CAN cause amenorrhea, but you said the loss was over a year's time? I just don't know, and would see if your doctor can find out why.

#5 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not heard that Effexor XR can cause missed periods. I would want to get to the underlying cause, myself. Rapid weight loss CAN cause amenorrhea, but you said the loss was over a year's time? I just don't know, and would see if your doctor can find out why.

do you know what kind of tests they could run? could they take blood tests? scans?

#6 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (smc0617 @ Jan 16 2008, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a little concerned because for the past 3 months I have not gotten my menstrual cycle. I know 100% I'm not pregnant.

The past 3 months I have

Does anyone know what might have caused this and what my options are to start having it again? My dr told me she could give me a pill to start again but I want to find the underlying issue. Could they run blood tests? Scans? I just don't want to jeopardize anything down the road.

Since you've already seen your doctor about this, why didn't you ask them about blood tests, scans, etc when you were there? Just a thought eusa_think.gif

#7 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (wanabeacnefree @ Jan 16 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The past 3 months I have

Since you've already seen your doctor about this, why didn't you ask them about blood tests, scans, etc when you were there? Just a thought eusa_think.gif

My dr told me not to worry about it right now. I have another appt on Feb 11 and going to bring it up. I don't know why i didn't ask...sometimes you think of it after the fact.

#8 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

Scans (computer assisted tomography and/or Magnetic Resonance Imaging etc) wouldn't be necessary yet, as they'd look for structural abnormalities. The physician would be able to perform many different types of lab tests to see what your hormones are up to.

Then there are the common explanations for amenorrhea: Stress, PCOS, birth control pills, the list continues. There are many benign reasons for not having a period. Stress is a BIG one and the most common.

http://www.mayoclini...0581/DSECTION=1

#9 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scans (computer assisted tomography and/or Magnetic Resonance Imaging etc) wouldn't be necessary yet, as they'd look for structural abnormalities. The physician would be able to perform many different types of lab tests to see what your hormones are up to.

Then there are the common explanations for amenorrhea: Stress, PCOS, birth control pills, the list continues. There are many benign reasons for not having a period. Stress is a BIG one and the most common.

http://www.mayoclini...0581/DSECTION=1

thanks wynne for the link. i will check it out.

#10 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (smc0617 @ Jan 16 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wanabeacnefree @ Jan 16 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The past 3 months I have

My dr told me not to worry about it right now. I have another appt on Feb 11 and going to bring it up. I don't know why i didn't ask...sometimes you think of it after the fact.

Yeh, fair enough, I thought as much, I've been there too eusa_wall.gif

Could you phone them and ask? Since you've already had a consultation and they know the problem?

Wynne is going great guns with the advice for you btw eusa_dance.gif

#11 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:11 AM

And don't (like most laypersons and ALL student nurses and doctors) think OMG! I have all the symptoms of the worst reason on here for my problem! wink.gif

#12 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And don't (like most laypersons and ALL student nurses and doctors) think OMG! I have all the symptoms of the worst reason on here for my problem! wink.gif

I'm not worrying about it too much, but i would like to know why i've missed it. i have a relative who missed hers and she is having a difficult time conceiving. i'm not planning on having a family anytime soon, but eventually i would like to.

#13 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (smc0617 @ Jan 16 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not worrying about it too much, but i would like to know why i've missed it. i have a relative who missed hers and she is having a difficult time conceiving. i'm not planning on having a family anytime soon, but eventually i would like to.

I think this may be the sort of worrying Wynne is talking about?

#14 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

^ Yes. That's the sort of worrying I'm talking about. Do not assume the worst.

#15 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Jan 16 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ Yes. That's the sort of worrying I'm talking about. Do not assume the worst.

I know i shouldn't worry. It's probably nothing too serious, but there's always that doubt. I'll try not to think about it much. Thanks again for the information.