Photo

Magnesium might heal you

magnesium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#41 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (calla lily @ Jan 27 2008, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... magnesium doesn't really help clear or prevent acne? Hmm. I know it's good for the body, so I'll keep getting them. I think I'll combine epsom and sea salt together, since sea salt is supposed to be antibacterial and all (and I don't think epsom salts are... right?).

I know for me, applying magnesium topically didn't clear me, but when taken internally, magnesium has a lot of beneficial properties, like blood sugar metabolism, and being anti-inflammatory.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements
- 50,000 IU Vitamin D once a week
- 250 - 500mgs calcium citrate per day
- 1,000mgs Vitamin C per day

General Dietary Principles
- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane
- Avoid high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners
- Avoid hydrogenated oils
- Snack frequently (important!)
- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).
- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

#42 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

I've been taking magnesium oxide for 1 week now. It seems like my skin isnt as inflamed. Something is definitely diffrent about it. I'll have to wait and see if new spots develope though (Sebum).

I took 1.8 grams of magnesium oxide for the first three days... It seems to act as a laxative (within 20 minutes of taking it! =P Powerful stuff!)

Anywa, I started taking 1 gram a day to avoid the laxative effects.

Anyone else notice results?
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#43 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

i take about 500mg to 1g over the course of the day

#44 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

Have you noticed anyresults?
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#45 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

yeah that is why i started this thread, but i am not 100% if it comes from the mg

#46 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

In this thread it was claimed that magnesium citrate is a laxitive. I said no, but now after more than a month of taking this stuff I have started to pass bowl about three times a day, which is how things ought to be. but i am wondering whether my digestion system has all of a sudden normalized or whether i had to load enough ma citrate over the couse of the last weeks to have so many bowl movement. i am feeling great, still have those nightsweats and vivid dreams, but my skin on my back is better than ever

#47 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

3 times a day! Wow! I thought once a day was closer to normal? I noticed with me that the increased bowel transit time continued for a little while even after I stopped taking the magnesium. I've read that a magnesium deficiency can cause a slow transit time, so maybe that's why.

I've ordered the magnesium taurate, so it should be here soon smile.gif
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane
- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).
- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

#48 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Feb 7 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 times a day! Wow! I thought once a day was closer to normal?

3 times a day is considered healthy (but not 4 and above).

Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#49 sgxyo3man

sgxyo3man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Are there supposed to be some sort of added benefits in the taurate as opposed to the citrate?

#50 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (won won @ Feb 7 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there supposed to be some sort of added benefits in the taurate as opposed to the citrate?

It's supposedly the highest absorption rate of any form of magnesium, and doesn't cause a laxative effect. Also, for me personally, I can't take the citrate form, it gives be very weird and concerning symptoms.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

#51 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

this guy tells you that you have to go three times as well:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X8W4owS1DRM

i have to finish the magnesium for now after that i will get mg taurate

#52 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

I got my magnesium taurate a couple days ago. smile.gif I got the one by Douglas labs because it was much less expensive, and had more in each bottle. It's in 100mg tablets, but I put one in a bowl of water, and it felt apart within 15 minutes, so they're ok.

I had been experiencing weird-ass panic attacks in the middle of the night soon after falling asleep that started when I took some NAC (which I was wary of to start with anyway), but the attacks continued even after I stopped taking it, so I don't know what it did to me, but last night I didn't have an attack at all, I slept all night smile.gif Hopefully it's a trend because those panic attacks are horrible, I'd wake up multiple times a night thinking I was dying or something! I've heard of Mag taurate's ability to ease anxiety, so I think that's what's helping smile.gif
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

#53 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Feb 10 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got my magnesium taurate a couple days ago. smile.gif I got the one by Douglas labs because it was much less expensive, and had more in each bottle. It's in 100mg tablets, but I put one in a bowl of water, and it felt apart within 15 minutes, so they're ok.

How long it takes for a magnesium supplement tablet to break apart when placed into a bowl of water should be of no concern for anybody, because everybody should be using some common sense by CHEWING-UP their supplements before swallowing, especially something as harmless and non-acidic as a magnesium salt. Use your heads, folks! CHEW THEM UP FIRST. Don't take any chances.

#54 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

Slept perfectly last night too! smile.gif What a relief!

Overall, my preference is for capsules over tablets, but if it dissolves in less than 15 minutes, there's no need to make yourself do something so unpleasant as chewing a tablet. So I'd say before chewing any tablets you have, test one in a bowl of water. If it takes longer than 30-45 minutes to dissolve, then I'd look into finding ways to dissolve it properly, but test your tablets first.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

#55 sgxyo3man

sgxyo3man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Lili, what's your dosage for the magnesium?

#56 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (won won @ Feb 11 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lili, what's your dosage for the magnesium?

I take 1 tablet at each meal, so 300mgs per day total. I could probably take more, but my sleep is greatly improved just with that, and I don't wanna screw up electrolyte balances or anything.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

#57 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (LiliVG @ Feb 11 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overall, my preference is for capsules over tablets, but if it dissolves in less than 15 minutes, there's no need to make yourself do something so unpleasant as chewing a tablet. So I'd say before chewing any tablets you have, test one in a bowl of water. If it takes longer than 30-45 minutes to dissolve, then I'd look into finding ways to dissolve it properly, but test your tablets first.

We're generally grown-ups here (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the teenagers! wink.gif ), so our foods and supplements don't all have to taste WONDERFUL, like chocolate ice-cream. It's not going to kill you to chew for a few seconds on a tablet that might seem a little chalky or "mediciney". If _I_ can chew up every single one of my supplements, you can do that, too.

#58 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Feb 11 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (LiliVG @ Feb 11 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're generally grown-ups here (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the teenagers! wink.gif ), so our foods and supplements don't all have to taste WONDERFUL, like chocolate ice-cream. It's not going to kill you to chew for a few seconds on a tablet that might seem a little chalky or "mediciney". If _I_ can chew up every single one of my supplements, you can do that, too.

I agree, we *should* have the discipline to just do what we need to do consistently to get the results we want. But realistically, when something is unpleasant, people tend to avoid it, young and old alike. My goal when I make a recommendation is to recommend something that is most likely to result in long term success...and that doesn't involve telling people to force themselves (unecessarily in this case) to do something they're likely going to find very unpleasant and that they will eventually avoid doing altogether. Ultimately that means failure.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

#59 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

Ive used Magnesium for 2 out of the past 3 years. Ive always used the ZMA formula which has the best forms of Zinc and Magnesium with some B-6 in aswell. Ive stopped this for a year as I wanted to up my Zinc to 100mg per day and that much magnesium caused problems.

Ive read theres Organic and In-Organic forms of magnesium.

Soluble forms/organic (aspartate, malate, glycinate, citrate and succinate etc.)

Insoluble forms/inorganic salts (chloride, carbonate, oxide).

(http://www.enzymestuff.com/magnesium.htm)

Ive ordered cheap Magnesium before and this is why im so interested in this as we are being duped by companies selling poor magnesium at a higher price i.e. Magnesium Oxide.

Now Ive read Leos ebook and he has a wealth of knowladge on magnesium and he writes:

'Sulphate, Oxide, Citrate, Carbonate and cholride. These are NOT absorbable by the body. You need to get the ORGANIC or CHEALTED forms these include alpha-Ketogluconate, aspartate, glycinate, orotate and TAURATE.

He also puts.

'Chealted minerals are nothing other then INORGANIC minerals with a protein 'wrapped' around them so the body can absorb them better.

He goes on.

'Look for aspartate, orotate or glycinate. Take on an empty stomach for best absorbtion as Magnesium is alkaline based taking with food could dilute the stomach acids'

I hold what Leo says quite highly as hes been right more then wrong for me, after all his ebook cleared me more then anything.

My point here is I ordered this http://www.positiveh...php/itemcode/52

The ingredients are 500mg Taurine and 375 mg Magnesium CHOLRIDE.

Im not new to magnesium as Ive taken aspartate in ZMA and its freaking amazing and ive used Oxide before (which litrally was crap lol) so I know how I should feel with magnesium.

I do hope that the Taurine being a semi amino acid will be enough to chelate cholride into a usable for of magnesium so ill post back here soon.

Ive also bought 25kg of Epsom salts which ive never used before. Ive read that bathing in it is another form of absorbing magnesium aswell - infact im hoping this could be a major way to get magnesium into the body without the negatives of loose stools. So I will also post back here when I use that when it comes.

I will say that my use of magnesium over the years is all positve. 1-2 caps of a good magnesium supplement can give such a nice sleep. It also controls hormones etc etc is good for acne etc etc healing, cuts etc etc. In terms of acne I didnt use huge ammounts so hard for me to say how good it was. Ive read 900mg daily or more is whats needed for big results. Im going to try to get around this number without the worry of absorbing and being ripped off for my money. TBH I dont actually think its realistic to not have some loose stools with magnesium even on ones that are high quality. I struggled with ZMA thats why I kept it to 1-2 per night and I think that only gave 300 mg of magnesium. so I did try to use 6 per day to get around 900 and I felt way too tired to work and it gave loose stools. This is why im hoping Epsom salts will work good and a smaller ammount of supplementation can be just the trick.

Also as a side note my little jewel has bad PMS and get headaches/migraines and Ive read up into this for her. Calcium and magnesium also seem to deal with pain management (women have 2.5 times more pain recpetors then men). I think its also linked to the brains ability to use Neurons such as Dopamine/Serotonin...maybe it helps regulate/protect/enchance these? The Nurons also deal with pain. Anyway I did read into Calcium supplements really helping with PMS so I bought her some. Its mildly improved but nothing major. I know she dosent use any Magnesium supplements (neither have I for a good year or so) and I didnt realise about the ratio being so crutial. Ive read 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium but as they compete to relax or contract muscles 1:1 would be much better or maybe even 1:2 as relaxing is maybe more important for her and me (she has Insomnia). I think maybe ive upset the balance for her so im going to switch it up and try to balance it better and see how we go.

Magnesium imo is still only a small part of the big picture, it wont cure acne alone imo but will greatly help.

My only wish to breed I explode into a million seeds...

I found my fiancee on the org.

A Star that I will always serve, protect and love. I found her in the darkness and together we made light from our shadows.

#60 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

http://www.bodykind....amp;PartnerID=6

My only wish to breed I explode into a million seeds...

I found my fiancee on the org.

A Star that I will always serve, protect and love. I found her in the darkness and together we made light from our shadows.