95 replies to this topic

#21 LivesInABox

LivesInABox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Thought this might interest you (came across it while doing more taurine research)

importance_of_magnesium_to_human

Prevention and Treatment of Magnesium Deficiency Using Oral and Injectable Magnesium
For people who suffer from chronic magnesium deficiency and also to prevent the development of this condition, oral magnesium supplements can be quite useful. Magnesium is available in many forms. The cheapest is probably magnesium oxide, but this form is not absorbed as well as some other forms, which include chelated magnesium, magnesium glycinate and magnesium aspartate. Dr. Baker feels that the prescription form of magnesium chloride, known as Slow-mag, has been most useful for his patients. I have found that magnesium taurate, an unusual form of magnesium in which magnesium is chemically combined with the amino acid derivative taurine, is particularly well utilized and beneficial. This is because some of the same effects that one hopes to get from magnesium, such as the calming effect on the nervous system, and the strengthening effect on heart muscle, is also gotten with taurine. So, the two are synergistic together. I use it in all forms of cardiac and nervous system disorders.

Magnesium Taurine (Taurate)

Magnesium Taurine is magnesium bound to the amino acid taurine with a very high absorption rate because it forms a very strong bond in the digestive system, thus ensuring a better chance of optimal absorption. Magnesium is an essential ingredient in many processes in the body like energy production, digestion, brain function and immunity. Magnesium Taurate may be helpful in the support of concentration and memory recall. Taurine is the most prevalent amino acid in heart tissue and is a transport agent for magnesium in the cerebral circulation. Taurine interacts with bile salts and cholesterol, to maintain their solubility, thus helping to reduce gallstone formation and also helps conserve potassium and calcium in the heart muscle, thereby helping to support cardiovascular function. Taurine requirements increase when the individual is under stress, consequently influencing insulin and blood sugar levels.

I thought it's interesting as taurine seems to be a friend/transport of magnesium and a few have had success with taurine! (i'd been supplementing with magnesium for a long time - but only had results from taurine!)

Taruine (MAGNESIUM ONLINE LIBRARY)

#22 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (LivesInABox @ Jan 25 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought this might interest you (came across it while doing more taurine research)

importance_of_magnesium_to_human

Prevention and Treatment of Magnesium Deficiency Using Oral and Injectable Magnesium
For people who suffer from chronic magnesium deficiency and also to prevent the development of this condition, oral magnesium supplements can be quite useful. Magnesium is available in many forms. The cheapest is probably magnesium oxide, but this form is not absorbed as well as some other forms, which include chelated magnesium, magnesium glycinate and magnesium aspartate. Dr. Baker feels that the prescription form of magnesium chloride, known as Slow-mag, has been most useful for his patients. I have found that magnesium taurate, an unusual form of magnesium in which magnesium is chemically combined with the amino acid derivative taurine, is particularly well utilized and beneficial. This is because some of the same effects that one hopes to get from magnesium, such as the calming effect on the nervous system, and the strengthening effect on heart muscle, is also gotten with taurine. So, the two are synergistic together. I use it in all forms of cardiac and nervous system disorders.

Magnesium Taurine (Taurate)

Magnesium Taurine is magnesium bound to the amino acid taurine with a very high absorption rate because it forms a very strong bond in the digestive system, thus ensuring a better chance of optimal absorption. Magnesium is an essential ingredient in many processes in the body like energy production, digestion, brain function and immunity. Magnesium Taurate may be helpful in the support of concentration and memory recall. Taurine is the most prevalent amino acid in heart tissue and is a transport agent for magnesium in the cerebral circulation. Taurine interacts with bile salts and cholesterol, to maintain their solubility, thus helping to reduce gallstone formation and also helps conserve potassium and calcium in the heart muscle, thereby helping to support cardiovascular function. Taurine requirements increase when the individual is under stress, consequently influencing insulin and blood sugar levels.

I thought it's interesting as taurine seems to be a friend/transport of magnesium and a few have had success with taurine! (i'd been supplementing with magnesium for a long time - but only had results from taurine!)

Ooh, that's interesting. I've been looking for a magnesium supplement that would absorb well without being laxative, I'm gonna look for some magnesium taurate!

#23 ~ Honey ~

~ Honey ~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Being with friends,go out shopping,music,movie and all that other stuff :P

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

do you mean magnesium like epsom salt? could i just drink a small amount of epsom salt daily? or woud that be bad?

#24 Undergroundwellness

Undergroundwellness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:13 AM

As soon as my Magnesiumhydrogencitrat runs out I will get me some Magnesium Taurine. I just googled for this stuff, if anyone comes across MagTaurine powder, please leave a message.

#25 LivesInABox

LivesInABox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:15 AM

I believe they call it magnesium taurate - i know CR do some but it's very low dose. I think the douglas labs one is the same, although it doesn't mention taurine (or anything else for that matter).

Magnesium Taurate

#26 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

Ummm... Sorry to interrupt..
I would like to take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Before I ever even got to this board I didn't like milk.
It has to be not so high end that I can't fit it into my budget. It also needs to fit into my lifestyle.. Preferably a once a day supplement I can take with meals.
Can you guys recommend a calcium/magnesium supplement that is fairly good? Please. (links would be appreciated) - I'm a 34 yr old female in the US. I'm unsure about dosage as well. Any ideas?
smile.gif

#27 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

I'm gonna get this one: http://www.vitaminsh...;ci_sku=CV-1094
That way I can take one at each meal so the magnesium is spread out over the day. I think it's better that way. And it's in capsule form instead of tablets like the Douglas brand so that's definitely better.

#28 Undergroundwellness

Undergroundwellness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

I won't buy the brand you buy. I still have time to find a food formula because I have still a lot of magnesium poweder left. Perhaps I find taurine powder than I just mix the two. Furthermore your product contains SILICON DIOXIDE, you can google yourself or look at just those two:

http://www.worldimag..._taking_it.html

http://www.ivanfrase...ealth/sics.html

#29 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Okay, to summarize, how many ppl have started taking some version of magnesium and taking epson salt baths AND seen a difference?

#30 Undergroundwellness

Undergroundwellness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

Probably 3 or 4 including me. I know of at least one person that is bathing and one that is taking magnesium.

#31 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Believe @ Jan 26 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I won't buy the brand you buy. I still have time to find a food formula because I have still a lot of magnesium poweder left. Perhaps I find taurine powder than I just mix the two. Furthermore your product contains SILICON DIOXIDE, you can google yourself or look at just those two:

http://www.worldimag..._taking_it.html

http://www.ivanfrase...ealth/sics.html

It doesn't work to just mix the two, they have to be chemically reacted with each other so they are bonded together.

That first site reminds me of this one: http://www.dhmo.org/ It's about the dangerous associations between "dihydrogen monoxide" and various chemicals and diseases. Dihydrogen monoxide, btw, is water. Silicone dioxide, or better known as "sand", is completely inert. It does not absorb, and it is not metabolized. 75% of the earth's crust is composed of silicone and oxygen together, so I'm sure that in nature, we'd get some exposure anyway. I'm really not worried about it. The cancer causing properties listed on that site have to do with inhaling silicone dioxide, where the particles irritate the lungs. So as long as we don't inhale our supplements, I think we should all be fine.

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust in very small quantities (OSHA allows 0.1mg/m3) over time can lead to silicosis, bronchitis or (much more rarely) cancer, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them, reducing lung capacities (silica does not dissolve over time). This effect can be an occupational hazard for people working with sandblasting equipment, products that contain powdered silica, and so on. But children, asthmatics of any age, allergy sufferers and the elderly, all of whom have reduced lung capacity, can be affected in much shorter periods of time.

In all other respects, silicon dioxide is inert and harmless. When silica is ingested orally, it passes unchanged through the gastrointestinal tract, exiting in the feces, leaving no trace behind. Small pieces of silicon dioxide are equally harmless, as long as they are not large enough to mechanically obstruct the GI tract, or jagged enough to lacerate its lining. Silicon dioxide produces no fumes and is insoluble in vivo. It is indigestible, with zero nutritional value and zero toxicity.

#32 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hm, I just want to add for the record that epson salt is really a miraculus natural healer (whether it works on acne or not).

4 years ago, my 80 year old grandmother had an operation on her thigh... the incision was 2 inches deep and over 12 inches long down her thigh. She stayed in the hospital for 2 months because they couldnt get the incision to close. You could almost look straight through her thigh. They sent her home with the wound because they gave up trying to close it (It hadnt closed at all... her entire thigh bone was exposed) and I sat on her bed. I'd never seen anyone sent home with an entire femur and muscles exposed.

The moment my grandmother arrived home, my mom poured hot-ish epson salt water into the wound 3x per day. 2 days later, the wound was completely closed... I've never seen anything like it.

I cant believe the hospital sent her home like that...and I cant believe salt water fixed the problem in 2 days.

#33 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 26 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hm, I just want to add for the record that epson salt is really a miraculus natural healer (whether it works on acne or not).

4 years ago, my 80 year old grandmother had an operation on her thigh... the incision was 2 inches deep and over 12 inches long down her thigh. She stayed in the hospital for 2 months because they couldnt get the incision to close. You could almost look straight through her thigh. They sent her home with the wound because they gave up trying to close it (It hadnt closed at all... her entire thigh bone was exposed) and I sat on her bed. I'd never seen anyone sent home with an entire femur and muscles exposed.

The moment my grandmother arrived home, my mom poured hot-ish epson salt water into the wound 3x per day. 2 days later, the wound was completely closed... I've never seen anything like it.

I cant believe the hospital sent her home like that...and I cant believe salt water fixed the problem in 2 days.

Wow! Yeah, epsom salt is great for wounds, no doubt. I've tried using epsom salt on my face. It helped healing pimples heal faster, but didn't stop new ones from forming.

#34 Undergroundwellness

Undergroundwellness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

my problem are only blackheads on my back which inflame once in a while. my face is clear. the way epsom salt or the magnesium helps me is it dries the blackheads out and makes them fall out of the skin. therefore no inflamations

#35 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

I will probably get some epsom salts to soak in. They're cheap.. Should've done it a long time ago. But, I kept forgetting. I want to try the supplements out because I have major back problems and 2 Chiropractors have recommended it.
Thank you, LiliVG!
That way I can take one at each meal so the magnesium is spread out over the day. I think it's better that way. And it's in capsule form instead of tablets like the Douglas brand so that's definitely better.

Uh oh, that product doesn't contain any calcium. Should I get a separate calcium supplement? I was told to take a calcium magnesium supplement.
How about this?- I guess they want you to space out when you take them? The serving size is six tablets...I guess this is why most ppl don't bother with supplements. They make it all so complicated. Seems like as soon as I buy something I read that it's worthless. eusa_doh.gif
http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=SO-1050

#36 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (-Dee- @ Jan 26 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will probably get some epsom salts to soak in. They're cheap.. Should've done it a long time ago. But, I kept forgetting. I want to try the supplements out because I have major back problems and 2 Chiropractors have recommended it.
Thank you, LiliVG!

Uh oh, that product doesn't contain any calcium. Should I get a separate calcium supplement? I was told to take a calcium magnesium supplement.
How about this?- I guess they want you to space out when you take them? The serving size is six tablets...I guess this is why most ppl don't bother with supplements. They make it all so complicated. Seems like as soon as I buy something I read that it's worthless. eusa_doh.gif
http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=SO-1050

Most Americans have 5 times as much calcium than magnesium in their system, when the ideal ratio is actually twice as much magnesium as calcium. If you have dietary sources of calcium in your diet already (usually from dairy products) I wouldn't worry too much about calcium. There is no one perfect supplement, I don't know if there's a calcium + magnesium taurate on the market, but I'll check.

As far as that product you linked to goes, it's pretty good compared to most available. Citrate is supposed to be pretty absorbable. I'd prefer one with less calcium in it though. A recent study found calcium supplementation associated with an increased risk of heart attacks in older women, so I'm not a big fan of all this emphasis on calcium supplements.

#37 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

I'll take all that under advisement, & try to make a choice. Thank you for the help! cool.gif

#38 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Don't take a calcium-magnesium supplement--calcium will inhibit some of the absorption of magnesium.

If you want to take some calcium, which is not a bad idea, take it separately.

#39 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Jan 26 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't take a calcium-magnesium supplement--calcium will inhibit some of the absorption of magnesium.

If you want to take some calcium, which is not a bad idea, take it separately.

Right, but taking calcium with the magnesium supplement helps tame the laxative effect of magnesium supplements. So some calcium with magnesium is good, but just not too much.

#40 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me
  • Interests:Cooking, illustrating, reading sci fi/fantasy, writing, ice skating<br /><br />Music: Depeche Mode, Yanni, Michael Buble

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

So... magnesium doesn't really help clear or prevent acne? Hmm. I know it's good for the body, so I'll keep getting them. I think I'll combine epsom and sea salt together, since sea salt is supposed to be antibacterial and all (and I don't think epsom salts are... right?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users