Photo

2.5% versus 10% benzoyl peroxide?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 missieg

missieg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

i already have 10% benzoyl peroxide at home and would like to be using it right away (i just found this sight and read about how much this stuff works) so i was wondering if i used the 10% excessively rather than the 2.5% if it would be dangerous or really bad for my skin. I'm not in to chemicals on the skin... or any where, so should i use the 10% benzoyl peroxide, just less or should i not use it at all and get 2.5%? i figure if it's the same thing i don't want to waste the bottle i already have, but is it safe if i use a lot of it vs. using a lot of the 2.5%?

#2 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

10% is not a substitute for 2.5%, as it is simply too strong. You'd need to use only 1/4 of the 10% benzoyl peroxide to have the same amount of active ingredient as you get with 2.5% BP, but that's such a small amount that it's hard to spread it all over your face, so you end up using too much when you try to use enough to cover your whole face. I'd keep the 10% around for drying out individual active pimples, but to follow the regimen, you definitely need a weaker BP, 5% at the highest but preferably 2.5%.
Keeping me clear, morning and night: Acne.org Cleanser, Acne.org Jojoba Oil after cleansing but before BP all over face, 1 1/2 pumps of Acne.org benzoyl peroxide, Acne.org moisturizer (morning only), Banana Boat Baby Sunblock SPF 50 (morning only), JASON 5000 IU Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Cream around eyes only, Acne.org AHA+ Acne.org Salicylic Acid+ beta version (night only)<br />
<br />
My advice for Acne.org Regimen beginners - Using jojoba oil as a mask/scrub to remove flakes and moisturize dry skin - Summary of exfoliation methods to try with the regimen<br />
<br />
Not here as often anymore, so for the timeliest advice, post your questions on the forums for the whole community to help out with rather than contacting me directly :)

#3 path

path

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (missieg @ Jan 13 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i already have 10% benzoyl peroxide at home and would like to be using it right away (i just found this sight and read about how much this stuff works) so i was wondering if i used the 10% excessively rather than the 2.5% if it would be dangerous or really bad for my skin. I'm not in to chemicals on the skin... or any where, so should i use the 10% benzoyl peroxide, just less or should i not use it at all and get 2.5%? i figure if it's the same thing i don't want to waste the bottle i already have, but is it safe if i use a lot of it vs. using a lot of the 2.5%?

PLEASE DO NO USE THE 10%!!!!!!!!!!! When i started the regimen, i was too impatient to wait for the 2.5 % to come in the mail, and started with 10%. it burned my skin SOOO BADLY it took MONTHS AND MONTHS TO RECOVER!!!!!!!
Morning
Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Soap
Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% liquid -exfoliation is KEY
Vita-K acne scars Lotion - dabbed on existing red marks
Neutrogena Active Breathable Sunblock SPF 45
centrum multivitamin with breakfast - is a must

night
Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Soap
Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% liquid
Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solution BP 2.5% - if needed
Vita-K acne scars Lotion - two layers dabbed on after drying
2 omega 3/6/9 Pills with dinner

LIVE and BREATHE FULLY. LIFE IS GOOD

#4 ATOG

ATOG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Hey I started using 2.5 then moved up to 5 after time and am now at 10 but i would never have started with the 10 it is just because I built up a resistance after so long with the weaker stuff...

#5 Monsieur Beck

Monsieur Beck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

I used 2.5% for a while but then I switched to 10%. 10% had a sort of 'light tingling' sensation but overall it seemed to work better..Then again, everyone has different skin types..

#6 Panama

Panama

There is a life to live..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

Well, I started a couple days ago and I also have 10% so I've been using it on my face and body twice a day smile.gif It's not my first time using BP though do maybe that's why my face didn't turn red or anything. I use a lot of moisturizer also! But anyway I'm gonna buy 2.5% Neutrogena tomorrow for my face and I'm gonna continue using 10% for my body. My face is not that bad as my body.

#7 Zizou12

Zizou12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

10% seems to not dry up your skin only when it's in a wash form, but when you actually have to leave it on then it will completely messes up your skin and irritates it. at least thats what happens to me...

#8 missieg

missieg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (path @ Jan 13 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (missieg @ Jan 13 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PLEASE DO NO USE THE 10%!!!!!!!!!!! When i started the regimen, i was too impatient to wait for the 2.5 % to come in the mail, and started with 10%. it burned my skin SOOO BADLY it took MONTHS AND MONTHS TO RECOVER!!!!!!!

i wish i would have waited for you guys to reply, i used my 10% and now my face is inflamed and i can barley see out of my eyes they're so puffy! my neck is really, really itchy with red splotches. i don't know if this is an allergic reaction, but i don't think i'll ever be using 10% again! thanks for telling me this... i thought i was screwed because it got rid of my acne really well, but i thought i would never be able to use it again cause i thought i was allergic!~~but who knows, maybe i really am allergic... well i still have the 2.5% to try so my hope isn't completely diminished yet!

#9 amieb

amieb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

I also found the site and had 10% so I started to use it (Clean and Clear). I was very sparing on the 10% and it has worked! Because my complexion is oily and I really only applied it very cautiously to the areas of inflamation, it didn't irritate me being overly dry. However, since using 10%, my lips have been affected, even though it goes nowhere near my lips. (they started to overdry and get puffy a bit).

So I did switch to the 2.5% (On the Spot by Neutrogena) in part because I think the 10% is too strong, and I didn't want my skin to build up an immunity so quickly.

So...stick to the regimen, I'd say. Some products are just too scalding - I used to use Differin and it made me severely dry, itchy, red and puffy.

#10 oyamaguchi

oyamaguchi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

10% is too strong when your skin is sensitive...

#11 arina

arina

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

If your skin can handle it, I would say use the 10%. If your skin is sensitive or dries out easily, use 2.5%. Most people on this website have sensitive skin so they'll probably tell you not to use the 10% at all.

#12 adamrodriguez

adamrodriguez

those that hate me love acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (missieg @ Jan 13 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

10% Benzoyl Peroxide will do serious damage to the face, even 2.5% in a short period of time will eventually damage the epidermis and will cause cracked and cell damaged skin. At that point when your skin is like an open sore from the BP damage you will have severe cystic acne and other skin disorders.. I know someone here is going to bash me for saying this over and over but there are tons of people like missieg that dont know the TRUTH about benzoyl peroxide.. i refuse to stand by and watch people ruin themselves with this toxic chemical.
How To Wash Your Face The Right Way

Product Ingredients To Avoid

Why Moisturizer Is Important

products I currently use:
L'Bri Pure N Natural Deep Pore Cleanser & Oil-Free Moisturizer
Forever Living Products "Aloe Vera Gelly" Moisturizer

#13 andrewstoppable

andrewstoppable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (adamrodrigue @ Mar 11 2009, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

10% Benzoyl Peroxide will do serious damage to the face, even 2.5% in a short period of time will eventually damage the epidermis and will cause cracked and cell damaged skin. At that point when your skin is like an open sore from the BP damage you will have severe cystic acne and other skin disorders.. I know someone here is going to bash me for saying this over and over but there are tons of people like missieg that dont know the TRUTH about benzoyl peroxide.. i refuse to stand by and watch people ruin themselves with this toxic chemical.

bp cleared me up aside from black heads and it hasn't cracked my skin or anything like that. just a bit flaky once in awhile.

#14 Regi_1

Regi_1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (adamrodrigue @ Mar 11 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL obviously your life mission is to take down this site. Stop exaggerating so much in all of your posts. BP is not perfect, but it works very well for most people who use it properly.

#15 ann989

ann989

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Regi_1 @ Mar 12 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (adamrodrigue @ Mar 11 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL obviously your life mission is to take down this site. Stop exaggerating so much in all of your posts. BP is not perfect, but it works very well for most people who use it properly.

Haha i'm sorry but I have to agree with you on this one. Some people are sensitive to BP and some people have better resistance, or are not allergic. You can't just post on every page on how BP is damaging peoples skin when many ppl on this site have been using BP for years and have seen 100% improvement (with the odd pimple here and there). Stop posting negative comments and just start supporting/trying to help others in need.

To address the 10% BP thing, I know I have strong, not really sensitive skin and i've been using a small amount of 10% BP facial wash in the morning, followed by moisturiser, and then at nyt I use a normal face wash, 2.5% BP and moisturiser again. It works for me and I've seen incredible improvement in my skin. Again people BE CAREFUL, always start off small, then slowly increase ur dosage of BP and if it feels like too much (really bad reaction, excessive stinging, redness etc) then stop, and go back. No point in burning ur skin or ruining it! Hope I helped lol =)

#16 ryan10

ryan10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Zizou12 @ Jan 15 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10% seems to not dry up your skin only when it's in a wash form, but when you actually have to leave it on then it will completely messes up your skin and irritates it. at least thats what happens to me...

same here! oxy 10%BP wash doesent dry me up at all. but a BP creme does. while a BP gel doesent.

wierd lol
Did dan's regimen back in 2008. it cleared me up and I continued to use the BP to maintain my clear skin. By the 6th month of dans regimen(my face had been clear by the 3rd month) my acne came back terribly with cystic acne all over. I think the body got immune to BP.
I started accutane february 16 2010. I did 40mg until march. 80mg from march-may. In may my blood came back bad so I stopped for 2 weeks then used 40 for the next 2 weeks. In mid june I went back on 80 and since that mid june day my skin has cleared up very nicely. I should technically be done with my 6 month cycle on august 13, but since I had that break from accutane I may do an extra month just to increase the odds that my acne doesen't come back
right now my log looks like this monthly- 40mg, 80mg, 80mg, then 2 weeks with 0mg, then 2 weeks with 40mg, then 8 weeks with 80mg. So id be more comfortable if I do the extra month of 80 but I'm still not sure.

I use purpose wash, and eucerin moisturizer. as an spf I use eucerin spf 30 because its the only spf that doesent dry out my skin after I put it on.
I also have to moisturize every 3 hours because I get so dry.
face is also red from accutane

#17 lilyofthewest

lilyofthewest

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

I can use 10% ONLY if I use a boatload of jojoba in my moisturizer to prevent irritation. Also, I have very oily "teenage" skin even though, believe me, I'll never see my teenage years again. Someone with sensitive skin will be tortured by the 10% used all over the face.

I wanted to use the Clearasil Ultra, because it was a mix of benzoyl peroxide and glycolic acid. This stuff is 10% BP and strong, and because my skin is conditioned (I've been using BP for over 14 years), I can use it. But I only use it occasionally when I want a good exfoliation (it contains a decent amount of glycolic acid), and I always return to Dan's BP which is very gentle and effective.

It's fun to experiment once in a while, but The Regimen are my core products.

And I might add, don't experiment until you've been using The Regimen for a few months and are totally clear.

#18 topnotchglamourchick

topnotchglamourchick

Lexi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:51 AM

did you not watch Dan's videos? Just be patient.