whitehead whiteheads pus

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mattpd

Mattpd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

Before I started using Retin-a I delt with my whiteheads with a sterile needle releasing the white puss with a pin prick. I have notice since using Retin-a the puss has turned solid and can no longer be released with a needle. I have begun using tweezers to pull out these little solid yellowish plugs in my pores. I can usually find two or three a night. After extraction it may bleed slightly and I am left with a visibly open pore.

Is this safe or should I let them run there course? A lot of them look just like a flake of dry skin on the outside and I tweeze it off to find it is actually a clogged pore trying to express itself. I figure that if I can pull it out, I am preventing that pore from one day becoming infected.

Also, what products are good for closing the open pores?

#2 pleaseoplease

pleaseoplease

jenny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Mattpd @ Jan 10 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before I started using Retin-a I delt with my whiteheads with a sterile needle releasing the white puss with a pin prick. I have notice since using Retin-a the puss has turned solid and can no longer be released with a needle. I have begun using tweezers to pull out these little solid yellowish plugs in my pores. I can usually find two or three a night. After extraction it may bleed slightly and I am left with a visibly open pore.

Is this safe or should I let them run there course? A lot of them look just like a flake of dry skin on the outside and I tweeze it off to find it is actually a clogged pore trying to express itself. I figure that if I can pull it out, I am preventing that pore from one day becoming infected.

Also, what products are good for closing the open pores?

As long as you make sure to disinfect the tweezer, and the area you 'tweeze' for that matter, you are absolutely fine. This technique is very similar to that practiced by dermatoligists and estheticians when they do extractions, except that this is much less tramatic to the skin since you are not applying any pressure. As for waiting for the pores to release the hardened sebum on its own, well you could do that as well. However, it can only be benificial for your skin to speed up the process in this manner, as long as you do it properly (i.e. avoid contamination, trama, etc. to the skin). Keep in mind that the retin-a will eventually cleanse your pores, and 'plucking' the hardened sebum that will be released anyway does no harm. So no worries.

Oh, and if it's of any comfort, I occasionally do this as well and find that it makes all the difference in the smoothness and clarity of my complextion when wearing makeup.
cogito ergo sum

Accutane a la carte

#3 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

If you simply must get rid of your clogged pores, do it properly and use a comedone extractor, not a pair of tweezers. You can buy a comedone extractor at any drugstore. They'll be near the tweezers, fingernail files, and nail clippers usually. Please use them gently so as to avoid increasing the possibility of an inflamed breakout. Gently! smile.gif

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#4 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

I 2nd Wynne's response about using an extractor. You are less likely to do damage to the skin. And definitely be gentle/cafeful with it. I do know how much faster spots heal once you get the core out though. I get extractions done at an acne clinic, and getting them extracted shortens the lifespan of the pimple considerably!

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#5 greenskies

greenskies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

hey willow, when you get your pimples extracted, does it leave any kind of mark? i've been having trouble with clogged pores myself, but i'm afraid of giving myself redmarks or scars by using an extractor.
AM
Eucerin Cleanser
Finacea
Olay Complete Moisturizer

PM
Eucerin Cleanser
Finacea
Olay Beauty Fluid

Internally
Fish Oil 3g
Zinc 30mg
Vitex