Photo

Goji Berries. ewwwwww

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 -ophelia-

-ophelia-

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

I really wanted to try some goji berries, so I went and bought some from holland and barrett. They only had sun dried ones so I thought I'd try them. I tasted them and I'm not kidding they were one of the most digusting things I've tasted in a long time! Was this because they were sun dried or are just gross anyway?

#2 lollypolly

lollypolly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

All goji berries are dried, except the ones that are growing from my understanding.

I didn't like them to begin with but they grow on you smile.gif

If you don't like the taste you could either soak them to soften them up a bit or throw them in a smoothie which is what I do every day - twice!

They are so so so good for you it's a shame to miss out!

#3 bilo

bilo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

There nice, bit too expensive though. Anyone no if you can buy them in bulk?

#4 bɭesstheʄẚɭɭ

bɭesstheʄẚɭɭ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Try Noni juice. It's like cigar water, but yummy lol.

#5 Jen121

Jen121

Jen121

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I've had these in my cupboard for like a year. Do they go bad or are they still good to eat?

#6 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I was curious about those, what do they taste like?

#7 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Goji berries...I can barely afford blueberries, much less anything more expensive.

I've tried them before, and they don't taste anything special.

#8 Mr. Bigger

Mr. Bigger

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

What were you thinking? "GOJI" does not sound like something that would be delicious. Sounds like a name for a gremlin. Goji the Gremlin. You should've known better then to expect something called "goji berry" to taste good.

#9 -ophelia-

-ophelia-

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Bigger @ Jan 11 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What were you thinking? "GOJI" does not sound like something that would be delicious. Sounds like a name for a gremlin. Goji the Gremlin. You should've known better then to expect something called "goji berry" to taste good.

hahaha. True, true.

#10 crazygamar

crazygamar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yea, they can get very expensive, especially if you buy fresh ones. Their supposed to be one of the "super fruits" of the world.

They taste like a cross between a raisin and a cranberry I think. I like them, but its just like Acai berries, unless you live in the area where they grow, you better have moolah to get them.

#11 Matheus

Matheus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

I can't find them where I live. Does anyone know of a safe website I can order them from?

#12 lollypolly

lollypolly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

You'll get them at most health food stores, most supermarkets sell them these days. Any health orientated website will sell them.

They are one of the 'superfoods' and are really good for you. As I say, I wasn't keen on them to begin with, I thought they tasted like spicy raisins but they are quite dried cherry like too.

Like everything else, they are expensive because they are better for you.

#13 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

They're expensive because they grow in the Himalayas/Tibet mainly. And they definitely taste better the longer you eat them. They are expensive, but you can buy in bulk. I bought 50 lbs online once and i sorted them into baggies - each with the recommended daily serving and ate a bag a day. They lasted like 3 or 4 months and it ended up being pretty cheap comparitively. Just look up Goji berries bulk or something.

I do wish i had some now to mix into my green smoothies i started a month ago. But blackberries are good for now!

#14 -ophelia-

-ophelia-

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

the sun-dried ones tasted of salt.

#15 blueMA

blueMA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

Because of all the hypes I've heard about goji berries, I bought the "Dynamic Health Goji Gold" brand from Vitacost after reading the site reviews. I hesitated to purchase because it was pretty expensive ($17.56 for 32oz juice), but I've seen people buy the stuff at $40 at health stores. I thought of it as a cheap dinner cost and bought it a few weeks ago, but I tried it for the first time this moring (because I'm taking other supplements). It says to drink 1-3 oz on an empty stomach, but I surely would've drank more if not for the instruction. It was pretty tasty!! It had the taste of sweet summer cherry tomatoes and apricots, with a slight prune taste. I don't feel any different yet : ), but we'll see if it justifies the price at all other than it fulfilling my curiosity and occasional personal luxury. haha

#16 AlyssaBennet

AlyssaBennet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I have tried Goji berries before, but they all tasted nasty to me. I even tried Organic ones. I think it is just the flavor of dried Goji berries; I've never tasted fresh ones. I have had Goji juice before: the 100% goji juice still tastes bad, but not as bad as the berries. The 95% goji/mixed with other juices tastes great.

~Alyssa

#17 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

dried/dehydrated goji berries don't taste THAT bad to me. Noni juice is much worse.

#18 Stavs16

Stavs16

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I went through a whole bag of goji berries a while ago. Supposed to be high in vitamin A i think, but they do taste bad the first time you try them. After continually forcing myself to eat them though, they do grow onto you and you do begin to like them. If I remember correctly, they sort of have a similar taste to raisins.

#19 lollypolly

lollypolly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

you can soak them in water or orange juice for a few mins and they plump up nice and juicy and taste a bit better smile.gif

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

You don't need to buy expensive hyped-up 'super' fruits shipped from across the planet. All plant foods and spices are high in anti-oxidents.

Many perfectly ordinary, readily available right here in the U.S., are extremely high. And they are high in various assorted anti-oxidents that do different things in different parts of the body. You need a variety.

Just eat a lot of fruits, veggies, herbs and spices.