Photo

Does coconut oil clog pores?

foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 volatile_vixen

volatile_vixen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

I REALLY want to try the new Aubrey Nicole mousse foundation but the second ingredient is coconut oil and on every comedigenic list it's always a 4! Which is bad...has anyone ever used a product with coconut oil?

Skin issues: Dealing with blackheads and non-infalmed acne. The most stubborn ever. A few pimples on shoulders as well. Treating with Tea Tree Oil Soap.

My Regime

Morning:
Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Lumene Matte Balancing Toner
Olay Complete Moisturizer for Sensative Skin
Philosophy The Present Clear Make-Up primer

Make-up:
Aubrey Nicole Mineral Make-up

Night:
Cleanse with Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle

Pills:
Bactrim twice a day
Zinc
Omega-3/Omege-6 Fish Oilx2

You're nothing if you're just another

#2 Jolian

Jolian

Yes, ma'am.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Several years ago, I used coconut oil to soften my winter skin. Skin on non-face areas of my body aren't prone to breaking out, but coconut oil gave me my first rash of body pimples, so I just stopped using it and have since avoided any face products with coconut oil. I have a friend who used the same lotion and she was fine (she also has acne). It boils down to what type of skin you have.
The FDA is trying to censor me!

What I Do
Morning: a) Cleanser, b) moisturizer, c) MAC Studio Fix concealer, d) Everyday Minerals
Evening: a) Cleanse, b) tone with Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, c) 10% ben. peroxide, d) lotion
* No dietary changes.
** results: clearing up; lots of scarring leftover

#3 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(volatile_vixen @ Jan 5 2008, 10:44 PM) View Post
I REALLY want to try the new Aubrey Nicole mousse foundation but the second ingredient is coconut oil and on every comedigenic list it's always a 4! Which is bad...has anyone ever used a product with coconut oil?

On a 1 to 5 scale (with 5 being the most comedogenic), coconut oil is rated a "4", so yeah it can definitely clog pores.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#4 volatile_vixen

volatile_vixen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(willow569 @ Jan 6 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post
QUOTE(volatile_vixen @ Jan 5 2008, 10:44 PM) View Post

On a 1 to 5 scale (with 5 being the most comedogenic), coconut oil is rated a "4", so yeah it can definitely clog pores.

Oh darn :/

Skin issues: Dealing with blackheads and non-infalmed acne. The most stubborn ever. A few pimples on shoulders as well. Treating with Tea Tree Oil Soap.

My Regime

Morning:
Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Lumene Matte Balancing Toner
Olay Complete Moisturizer for Sensative Skin
Philosophy The Present Clear Make-Up primer

Make-up:
Aubrey Nicole Mineral Make-up

Night:
Cleanse with Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle

Pills:
Bactrim twice a day
Zinc
Omega-3/Omege-6 Fish Oilx2

You're nothing if you're just another

#5 treefeet

treefeet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Regular coconut oil will clog pores because it is nothing more than a trans fat. Virgin coconut oil however will not and it is an excellent moisturizer. I have been using it on my face at nice and have seen a drastic improvement in a short amount of time.

#6 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I'm honestly convinced virgin coconut oil is noncomedogenic. I've slathered the stuff all over my face and back several times, and my skin was fine. (I don't use it for my face anymore since I need more than coconut oil to keep it clean and clear.) But some people do break out, especially if they're allergic.

I guess if the coconut oil is in that product it must be refined, so it probably will break you out.

#7 GroceryGirl

GroceryGirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

I've been using the mousse mineral makeup from AN since before the holidays and I really like it. No breakouts here.

#8 s.janan

s.janan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

It's my second day of using coconut oil cream type thing which is 100% original and trust me, i never had a breakout on my left side of the face. After like 10-15 minutes of this oil on my face I got rash and now I have rash pimples. !!!!! i am hating this seriously .... now iam on apple cider vinegar drinks internally and externally. nothing has been working for me.... ACV is my almost a 100th try to get rid of mild acne and a cyst on my forehead....!!! if you want to know if you are allergic to coconut oil or anything then first try it on your chest or neck and if it doesnt give a problem there then it shouldn't give a problem on face.... i was stupid to use it directly, but lesson learned... and goodluck.

#9 Frida.k

Frida.k

can't hardly wait

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

everybody is different. I used virgin coconut oil and ended up with two very large and painful cysts, but i also know of acne prone people who love vco...

But it's alright, Ma, it's life,
and life only.

#10 Cherries

Cherries

A whole new world, Wondrous place, For you&me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

I think coconut oil is one of those oils, that it effects some, and some it doesn't for me it definatley does! I had some shampoo which had alot of coconut oil in and It gave me back acne once i cut it out, it cleared up, there was no doubt it was that shampoo! sad.gif

good luck!

claire
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.

My log :)

#11 Eina

Eina

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (Frida.k @ Sep 12 2011, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
everybody is different. I used virgin coconut oil and ended up with two very large and painful cysts, but i also know of acne prone people who love vco...

Same here - it clogs me up. I still recommend using it otherwise, because it gets rid of yeast infections, athlete's foot and smelly feet. I've treated a post-antibiotic yeast infection with virgin coconut oil many times and everyone I've recommended the treatment to said it worked for them too. It's much gentler than pharmacy meds and a lot cheaper too. Anyone who has a problem with smelly feet should try it because it really does work - strange but true! Just wash your feet, dry them, put on some vco and you're good to go.

#12 leighbrack2

leighbrack2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Coconut oil causes breakouts for most people with acne prone skin. I would also suggest watching out for any coconut oil derivatives such as caprice caprylic tryglyceride and lauryl lysine which can also cause breakouts and it is used in the majority of foundations.

#13 NessaVenasaur

NessaVenasaur

Derp.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

This and all the others who basically said the same thing. It can but it might not. I've only tried VCO and yes I did get clogged pores, but nothing too severe. Others use it and have no problems so it's hard to know definitively. I also get break outs from jojoba seed oil which is highly praised - goes to show, what works for one person might not work for you! I've been using olive oil for a year now as a makeup remover and no issues with that! (Just noticed this is an old thread... oh well lol)

By the way, coconut oil is a great moisturizer for hair if you can keep it off your face. It's one of the only oils, if not the only...., that fully penetrates the hair.
Regimen as of Spring '11

AM:
-Paula's Choice - BHA 2% gel
-Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer w/SPF 15

PM:
-Cleanser: Olive oil to remove makeup. Purpose facial cleanser. Experimenting with Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (original)
-DKR AHA
-DKR BP

Cosmetics:
-Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation
-Meow Cosmetics foundation powder